Embarkation question

mondas42

Why do you get worked up, if it works for you fine, but you don't need to berate those of us who have differing views.

You're absolutely right - I don't have to berate people with views differing from my own, and that was remiss of me. Perhaps I am having a bad morning, but I find this thread really negative. I don't understand why people cannot adjust. On other threads, I have offered helpful suggestions to other posters who are annoyed with the new embark procedures, but I still don't understand why people moan, and do nothing to alleviate their own distress. I wasn't happy with my recent embark time, but I sat down and worked out a way that ensured I still had a great day. Maybe my glass is too full for me to be negative?? Who knows.

You're absolutely right - I don't have to berate people with views differing from my own, and that was remiss of me. Perhaps I am having a bad morning, but I find this thread really negative. I don't understand why people cannot adjust. On other threads, I have offered helpful suggestions to other posters who are annoyed with the new embark procedures, but I still don't understand why people moan, and do nothing to alleviate their own distress. I wasn't happy with my recent embark time, but I sat down and worked out a way that ensured I still had a great day. Maybe my glass is too full for me to be negative?? Who knows.

You still don't get it. We are not moaning. We are refusing to put up with shoddy service unnecessarily

You still don't get it. We are not moaning. We are refusing to put up with shoddy service unnecessarily

I don't think that people are moaning, just expressing their opinion. If we get a late boarding time (which I expect) then we'll go along with it. Will we like it, no and would we prefer a better system, yes.

Like Presto2 I've been sitting on my hands too. I've read this on a previous post not too long ago. It is not always possible to adjust arrangements as a previous poster has suggested, especially for those with quite a distance to travel and having to allow for any possible hold ups etc on the roads. I'm afraid I'll probably be one of those awful "selfish" passengers and turn up before my given time on the e tickets. And yes, I know I'll have to sit and wait in the terminal for a while but I don't care as for me main thing is that I'm at the terminal and not stuck in traffic somewhere panicking about missing check in. As for lunch on the ship on embark day, im not worried about lunch as long as I get a glass of bubbly at sail away :D

Being my first P & O cruise. I find it annoying that we don't have a boarding time so I can organise my parking in advance.

It wouldn't be so bad if we were given an approx time in advance at least we would have an idea. But due to the distance I don't want to miss the ship because we have misjudged and got caught in traffic. But I also don't want to have to sit around waiting to board because we have booked parking to early.

As for other lines Princess did timed boarding when we sailed from LA. So obviously P & O aren't the only cruiseline that use this system.

Being my first P & O cruise. I find it annoying that we don't have a boarding time so I can organise my parking in advance.

It wouldn't be so bad if we were given an approx time in advance at least we would have an idea. But due to the distance I don't want to miss the ship because we have misjudged and got caught in traffic. But I also don't want to have to sit around waiting to board because we have booked parking to early.

As for other lines Princess did timed boarding when we sailed from LA. So obviously P & O aren't the only cruiseline that use this system.

Hi, you will be given a boarding time soon I would have thought. It shows up on your e-tickets become available on line. Beware though that we had a time of 3.30pm and we didn't print it off. This was then changed to 4pm ! As someone else has posted on here, print it off as soon as you get it incase it changes!!

I had a quick look back at your earlier posts and see you are on C deck. When we embarked on Azura last year we were on D deck and our friends on C deck, very close to your cabin. They had an embarkation time an hour earlier than us...and we had 15.30. I have seen posts on here and FB recently from people on D deck also (complaining) with a 15.30 time . So...I would hazard a guess that you might get 2 or 2.30.. The other option is to phone them ( or ask for a call back -via their website) and ask for a rough idea of your boarding time...they should know bearing in mind you know your cabin.

Otherwise you will get your boarding time with your e- ticket as Presto2 says - usually about 5-6 weeks out from your cruise.

Have a great time...Azura is a lovely ship.

Pete

'I'd happily pay that to get on board Azura on the 28th May by 11:30!'

I've just realised we are disembarking from Azura on the 28th May as you are waiting to embark! We'll get off as quickly as we can ;)

I have written to P&O, and asked a question on their Facebook page (which they advise they typically reply within 1 hour, but no reply yet and it's more than an hour since I asked!).

P&O's Facebook page isn't staffed over the weekend and maybe not Bank Holidays, so you might not get a reply until Tuesday

You are so right, I didn't get a reply until today and here it is.

'Our embarkation system is slightly different from other cruise lines. We allocated check in times based on where your cabin is on the ship.

Since our cabin stewards clean the rooms in a certain order your allocated time will correspond to when we expect your cabin to be ready.

This ensures that you can go straight to your cabin once you board, rather than having to wait in public areas on board.

Regarding your muster time, this will be confirmed on board once you arrive in your cabin.'

Needless to say I have replied expressing my disappointment as I have stated on this thread. Just letting you know that I have questioned and registered my disappointment in the P&O system compared to several other lines with larger ships than them.

You are so right, I didn't get a reply until today and here it is.

'Our embarkation system is slightly different from other cruise lines. We allocated check in times based on where your cabin is on the ship.

Since our cabin stewards clean the rooms in a certain order your allocated time will correspond to when we expect your cabin to be ready.

This ensures that you can go straight to your cabin once you board, rather than having to wait in public areas on board.

Regarding your muster time, this will be confirmed on board once you arrive in your cabin.'

Needless to say I have replied expressing my disappointment as I have stated on this thread. Just letting you know that I have questioned and registered my disappointment in the P&O system compared to several other lines with larger ships than them.

I wonder why they want us to go straight to our cabins, or why they think we prefer this, most people seem to want to head for the buffet.

If they are worried that the public areas are too small to cater for all the passengers, why did they not make them bigger?:confused:

I have just returned from Britannia mini cruise at the weekend. Hubby and I decided to go early and drop off luggage then walk back to a pub for a cheeky glass of wine. While I was outside taking photos of the ship hubby popped in to the terminal to see how busy it was. He returned with boarding cards and said the assistant told him we wouldn't have long to wait before checking in. I wasn't happy as I thought we would be sitting around the terminal for ages, which I didn't want to do. We were on the ship within the hour and still earlier than our embarkation time. Everything was running freely and it looked like the cards were being given out first come first served, like it used to be. A big difference to when we sailed on Ventura in October. Also it looked like check in had been opened earlier than the 1 oclock it had changed too. It actually seemed like the old system and definitely ran a lot smoother. Hope they are returning to the old days:D

I wonder why they want us to go straight to our cabins, or why they think we prefer this, most people seem to want to head for the buffet.

If they are worried that the public areas are too small to cater for all the passengers, why did they not make them bigger?:confused:

You know why people asked for just that on their end of cruise questionnaire

That was stated very early in this batch of threads on the same topic.

Why would people not want to go to their cabin first and drop of their hand luggage which was a nuisance to drag through buffet area and inconvenience other passengers.. With regard to making public areas bigger etc. [emoji31][emoji33][emoji36]

Why would people not want to go to their cabin first and drop of their hand luggage which was a nuisance to drag through buffet area and inconvenience other passengers.. With regard to making public areas bigger etc. [emoji31][emoji33][emoji36]
Because I want to explore the ship, I'll sleep in my cabin later and my hand baggage is no problem to me and I don't drag it around it has wheels :D

Didn't realise placing under a table is inconveniencing other passengers. :confused:

I hate lugging hand luggage round with me too, but with the old old system I often used to find my cabin and tuck it in the wardrobe, even if the steward hadn't made up the room completely, and then go to the lunch. On RCI, you can't access cabins at all until it is announced they are ready - fireproof doors are locked!

I hate lugging hand luggage round with me too, but with the old old system I often used to find my cabin and tuck it in the wardrobe, even if the steward hadn't made up the room completely, and then go to the lunch. On RCI, you can't access cabins at all until it is announced they are ready - fireproof doors are locked!
I agree, but at least on RCI they are available by 1:30 pm at the latest.

You know why people asked for just that on their end of cruise questionnaire

That was stated very early in this batch of threads on the same topic.

Dai I know you have reported this before, but both on these boards and in the majority of conversions I have had with other passengers, the desire to have the cabin ready when they board is well down the pecking order. More sunbeds and better policing of sunbed blockers seems to figure high with most people I meet; strange that P&O have not decided this would be worth improving.

I may of course be picking up this vibe subconsciously because that's what want to hear, but somehow I doubt it.

One reason for dissatisfaction of people who have boarded early seems to be that they have a large bag which they have taken onto the ship. They then have to sit with this or drag it round wherever they go and feel it restricts their movements particularly with lifts. Whenever this has happened to me I have taken it along to the cabin that is not ready yet and put it in there. On one occasion on arrival at the cabin the steward was in it and said I could not leave my bag in the cabin. So I said I will leave it here outside the cabin. He said that I could not do that because someone might steal it. I asked why they leave the suitcases outside the cabin then. After leaving my daughters bag outside the not ready cabin I noticed he had dragged it in. It was bag tagged marked as I do all my bags and this is a good idea in my opinion and avoids sitting around the ship early on in the cruise with a bag which irritates you.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

I have just returned from Britannia mini cruise at the weekend. Hubby and I decided to go early and drop off luggage then walk back to a pub for a cheeky glass of wine. While I was outside taking photos of the ship hubby popped in to the terminal to see how busy it was. He returned with boarding cards and said the assistant told him we wouldn't have long to wait before checking in. I wasn't happy as I thought we would be sitting around the terminal for ages, which I didn't want to do. We were on the ship within the hour and still earlier than our embarkation time. Everything was running freely and it looked like the cards were being given out first come first served, like it used to be. A big difference to when we sailed on Ventura in October. Also it looked like check in had been opened earlier than the 1 oclock it had changed too. It actually seemed like the old system and definitely ran a lot smoother. Hope they are returning to the old days:D

A couple of years ago check-in opened about 11.30 and I was used to being onboard by about noon. As other lines have more efficient and customer friendly embarkation procedures it is apparent the P&O have chosen their method because it is most convenient for them, and probably the cheapest option. Another item to reinforce the idea that Carnival treat P&O as a cash cow. To find out if that is true we will have to wait until Carnival are forced by legislation to publish the figures for their subordinate companies, unless of course you all vote the wrong way in June ;) oops, toxic :eek:

A couple of years ago check-in opened about 11.30 and I was used to being onboard by about noon. As other lines have more efficient and customer friendly embarkation procedures it is apparent the P&O have chosen their method because it is most convenient for them, and probably the cheapest option. Another item to reinforce the idea that Carnival treat P&O as a cash cow. To find out if that is true we will have to wait until Carnival are forced by legislation to publish the figures for their subordinate companies, unless of course you all vote the wrong way in June ;) oops, toxic :eek:

Yes I used to sail when we had early embarkation.:D

Ok, so you don't like lugging your hand luggage around on ship before the cabin becomes available but would you prefer lugging it around Southampton till your boarding time?

If everyone sneaked into their cabin to deposit luggage before the cabins were officially released it would be chaos. Surely as a Host you are not advocating that as a solution?

If everyone sneaked into their cabin to deposit luggage before the cabins were officially released it would be chaos. Surely as a Host you are not advocating that as a solution?

I always have my hand luggage marked with proper cruise line provided luggage tags. These are available on the cruise line web site via the cruise personaliser. I take my bags to the cabin and put them in if this is not possible I leave the bag outside the cabin. In due course the staff on board put the main suit cases by my hand baggage or steward drags it into cabin. Often I find steward has put all the cases into the cabin. There is no sneaking involved if the steward is there it's up to him to tell me not to leave my bag inside the cabin and I therefore leave it outside the cabin.

Regards John

I always have my hand luggage marked with proper cruise line provided luggage tags. These are available on the cruise line web site via the cruise personaliser. I take my bags to the cabin and put them in if this is not possible I leave the bag outside the cabin. In due course the staff on board put the main suit cases by my hand baggage or steward drags it into cabin. Often I find steward has put all the cases into the cabin. There is no sneaking involved if the steward is there it's up to him to tell me not to leave my bag inside the cabin and I therefore leave it outside the cabin.

Regards John

Seems sensible to me John!

They leave your suitcase in the corridor, so not sure why anyone would worry that any other big bags may be stolen. Anyone with any sense isn't going to put all of their major valuables in easy to access hand luggage anyway... are they? I have some medication for example and that never leaves my side so goes in a smaller piece of luggage that I carry with me :)

Seems sensible to me John!

They leave your suitcase in the corridor, so not sure why anyone would worry that any other big bags may be stolen. Anyone with any sense isn't going to put all of their major valuables in easy to access hand luggage anyway... are they? I have some medication for example and that never leaves my side so goes in a smaller piece of luggage that I carry with me :)

I understand what you mean Presto but we have a trolley bag which is quite sizeable because we have to take a lot of medication with us. We also have all our valuables like iPads, jewellery and holiday currency in that bag. We travel down the day before the cruise by train and send most of our luggage ahead. We only have clothes, shoes toiletries etc in our main suitcases The things we need for the journey in our hand luggage so we need to keep our essentials and valuables on one safe place close to us

We would never leave our bag outside the our cabin but we used to ask our steward if we could leave it in our wardrobe and close the door behind us. If not, we were always quite happy boarding around 1:00 because if we couldn't get into the cabin immediately, it was usually available by 2:00. Initially we would just sit in the buffet or latterly whichever restaurant lunch was being served in.

Hi, you will be given a boarding time soon I would have thought. It shows up on your e-tickets become available on line. Beware though that we had a time of 3.30pm and we didn't print it off. This was then changed to 4pm ! As someone else has posted on here, print it off as soon as you get it incase it changes!!

Thanks for the advice will make sure e-tickets are printed when they are available.

I had a quick look back at your earlier posts and see you are on C deck. When we embarked on Azura last year we were on D deck and our friends on C deck, very close to your cabin. They had an embarkation time an hour earlier than us...and we had 15.30. I have seen posts on here and FB recently from people on D deck also (complaining) with a 15.30 time . So...I would hazard a guess that you might get 2 or 2.30.. The other option is to phone them ( or ask for a call back -via their website) and ask for a rough idea of your boarding time...they should know bearing in mind you know your cabin.

Otherwise you will get your boarding time with your e- ticket as Presto2 says - usually about 5-6 weeks out from your cruise.

Have a great time...Azura is a lovely ship.

Thanks for reply. Will look at booking car park for 1.30 giving us an approx time of arrival at dock of 2pm then hopefully we won't have to wait to long before boarding.

When we were on Princess from LA they kept us waiting nearly 2 hours for boarding as we arrived early, don't want to have to wait that long again.