Embarkation question

mondas42

In May last year disembarkation from the Britannia was delayed and we didn't get through the baggage collection till after 11.20am.

As us and others waited to be picked up there were people turning up, dropping cases off ready to embark. Our driver and others couldn't park to pick people up as new cruises were just pulling in where ever and blocking those cars and people waiting to go home. It was chaos.

This new system should stop all this.

As long as you get on board before it sails.

I don’t agree with the new embarkation system and lots of people are obviously unhappy about not being on board early enough to eat, have a drink, look around the ship and then muster – some saying they are almost straight to muster as they are on so late.

However, if you do go on board later (but before the time which would mean going almost straight to muster) there will still be food available in the buffet. Even when the food changes over to afternoon tea, sandwiches, wraps, scones, cakes, etc, there are still always some hot dishes from lunch (often something with rice, chilli or curry) and also quiche or samosas or sausage rolls and fries.

Well, we are first time cruisers and have been given an embarkation time of 1pm. Should I wear a tin hat?:rolleyes:

I'd keep it quiet if I were you and wear dark glasses when you arrive for embarkation incase your photo is shown in the photo gallery / photo 'machine' with an early time :D:D:)

Everyone is entitled to moan if they feel the need or be a discerning customer, if that's what they prefer to be, but what annoys me is all this priority snobbery that seeps into all this type of thread. We all pay good money to travel on these cruises to the level that is affordable and should be treated to the equal amount of service. The idea that just because you have been on more cruises than the next person entitles you to priority boarding astounds me. No doubt some of you will make comparisons to loyalty schemes elsewhere such as in the retail trade but waiting patiently to board a cruise is , in my mind, somewhat different.

Think about it, if one of the desks is dealing with a priority queue then you are taking that member of staff away from the regular queue therefore making the process even longer for those people.

It all reminds me of that John Cleese/Ronnie Corbett sketch which starts " I look down on him because.............. and therefore I expect to be treated etc.etc" fill in the gap with "I have done more cruises than him "

Obviously on huge ships there has to be a system of boarding that may not suit all but the idea of priority just because of the amount of cruises and therefore making it worse for everyone else is just blatant snobbery in my mind

Everyone is entitled to moan if they feel the need or be a discerning customer, if that's what they prefer to be, but what annoys me is all this priority snobbery that seeps into all this type of thread. We all pay good money to travel on these cruises to the level that is affordable and should be treated to the equal amount of service. The idea that just because you have been on more cruises than the next person entitles you to priority boarding astounds me. No doubt some of you will make comparisons to loyalty schemes elsewhere such as in the retail trade but waiting patiently to board a cruise is , in my mind, somewhat different.

Think about it, if one of the desks is dealing with a priority queue then you are taking that member of staff away from the regular queue therefore making the process even longer for those people.

It all reminds me of that John Cleese/Ronnie Corbett sketch which starts " I look down on him because.............. and therefore I expect to be treated etc.etc" fill in the gap with "I have done more cruises than him "

Obviously on huge ships there has to be a system of boarding that may not suit all but the idea of priority just because of the amount of cruises and therefore making it worse for everyone else is just blatant snobbery in my mind

I really think you have not read or understood this thread. It has nothing to do with how many cruises people have taken at all and I cannot find any mention of that being an issue in this thread. Yes on big ships there has to be a system of boarding but the issue is that RCI and Celebrity board big ships without allocating set boarding times so why Can't P&O do the same. The mention of class has noting to do with this discussion. Presumably you've posted on the wrong thread.

No different to Airlines/Frequent flyer or Business class,

Use the Company a lot get a bonus, A Thank you says a lot. whats the problem ?

Edited by Pennbank

I really think you have not read or understood this thread. It has nothing to do with how many cruises people have taken at all and I cannot find any mention of that being an issue in this thread. Yes on big ships there has to be a system of boarding but the issue is that RCI and Celebrity board big ships without allocating set boarding times so why Can't P&O do the same. The mention of class has noting to do with this discussion. Presumably you've posted on the wrong thread.

RCI do have set times, at least when I boarded Anthem and also for my cruise on Harmony in three weeks. The difference is that you can choose your time via the online check-in process and when one time slot is full, it won't show as available any more. Also by doing the online check in, including uploading your own security photo, this negates any need to occupy a check-in desk. You are met by staff with iPads outside the terminal who tag luggage with RFID labels and you are free to walk straight through to security - assuming you arrive at your time slot. If not you have to wait. I guess with 5500 passengers you have to have some sort of system.

RCI do have set times, at least when I boarded Anthem and also for my cruise on Harmony in three weeks. The difference is that you can choose your time via the online check-in process and when one time slot is full, it won't show as available any more. Also by doing the online check in, including uploading your own security photo, this negates any need to occupy a check-in desk. You are met by staff with iPads outside the terminal who tag luggage with RFID labels and you are free to walk straight through to security - assuming you arrive at your time slot. If not you have to wait. I guess with 5500 passengers you have to have some sort of system.

Thanks Host Sharon ------ I do think that P&O need to acknowledge that a lot of people are not happy with their embarkation arrangements and look at what other cruise lines are doing. I am sure that some people don't care etc but as a lot of people do then they owe it to those customers to make it a better experience for them and ensure that P&O are in the C21st .

Have to say that we have just booked Ventura Superior Deluxe cabin for 2017 and are dismayed to read that we will probably board at about 4pm. Ridiculous in my books when previously on P&O it would have been 12.30pm and on Celebrity 11.30am (and on Oceana Med cruise about 11am!!!)

Whether or not people understand our preference isn't an issue ---- many of us are not happy so it will be interesting to see what P&O do about it.

:D:D

Thanks Kevinyork for your analysis of my post . I did read thoroughly and understood the thread but I think it is you who has not read or understood my post, I draw your attention to the opening remark and in particular ...."what annoys me is all this priority snobbery that seeps into all this type of thread.".........and not the thread itself.

Thanks also to Pennbank, as I said someone was bound to draw comparisons with other loyalty schemes.

Like you I am entitled to an opinion and I still don't like the idea of priority boarding for whatever reason be it airlines cruise ships or anything else because someone else has to suffer further down the queue because of it.

In May last year disembarkation from the Britannia was delayed and we didn't get through the baggage collection till after 11.20am.

As us and others waited to be picked up there were people turning up, dropping cases off ready to embark. Our driver and others couldn't park to pick people up as new cruises were just pulling in where ever and blocking those cars and people waiting to go home. It was chaos.

If you were on Britannia then presumably you were at Ocean terminal, and AFAIK cars with new passengers arrive here at a different area to those collecting disembarking passengers, so the twain should never meet, and arriving passengers should drop off their luggage before entering the terminal.

What you might have seen was possibly new crew arriving, who do have to enter via the back door, so to speak, and presumably this will still continue.

But RCI don't impose set times for their 'smaller' ships which in most cases are still bigger than anything P&O have like their Freedom class of ships (Liberty, Freedom & Independence) that accommodate more than Azura.

Having done a few B2B I would say the 2nd cruisers do start turning up at about the above time. They were def passengers .

This is at different terminals so I would say happens at all of them.

Thanks Kevinyork for your analysis of my post . I did read thoroughly and understood the thread but I think it is you who has not read or understood my post, I draw your attention to the opening remark and in particular ...."what annoys me is all this priority snobbery that seeps into all this type of thread.".........and not the thread itself.

Thanks also to Pennbank, as I said someone was bound to draw comparisons with other loyalty schemes.

Like you I am entitled to an opinion and I still don't like the idea of priority boarding for whatever reason be it airlines cruise ships or anything else because someone else has to suffer further down the queue because of it.

I do take your point. No-one has mentioned this point before in this context and in some ways it is a general one - why do those in the loyalty tier get perks to the detriment of those further down the loyalty ranking so to speak

Some perks don't affect the on board experience of others -e.g. The loyalty discount. Priority embarking and tendering however does.

Personally I don't think lines do a lot for new cruisers. I remember our first cruise which was on Adonia and which on the whole I loved. It was in Decemcer 2011. We had lovely dinner companions but they had several invites to loyalty lunches, drinks etc and we felt it would have been nice if we had got an invite to something for new cruisers - there was a feeling that there was an exclusive club we weren't part of.

But it's a good thought - give priority boarding only to those in wheelchairs and maybe more passengers will be unhappy with the new embarking rules. Or alternatively board like Celebrity and R C I and make us all happy

I do take your point. No-one has mentioned this point before in this context and in some ways it is a general one - why do those in the loyalty tier get perks to the detriment of those further down the loyalty ranking so to speak

Some perks don't affect the on board experience of others -e.g. The loyalty discount. Priority embarking and tendering however does.

Personally I don't think lines do a lot for new cruisers. I remember our first cruise which was on Adonia and which on the whole I loved. It was in Decemcer 2011. We had lovely dinner companions but they had several invites to loyalty lunches, drinks etc and we felt it would have been nice if we had got an invite to something for new cruisers - there was a feeling that there was an exclusive club we weren't part of.

But it's a good thought - give priority boarding only to those in wheelchairs and maybe more passengers will be unhappy with the new embarking rules. Or alternatively board like Celebrity and R C I and make us all happy

I have read elsewhere that cruise lines prefer new cruisers for the simple reason that they spend more money aboard. Apparently as people accumulate cruises their average onboard spend goes down considerably and that onboard spend is an important part of the companies profit. Eventually those long term passengers are just there to fill up the vacant cabins ;)

I have read elsewhere that cruise lines prefer new cruisers for the simple reason that they spend more money aboard. Apparently as people accumulate cruises their average onboard spend goes down considerably and that onboard spend is an important part of the companies profit. Eventually those long term passengers are just there to fill up the vacant cabins ;)

My on board spend always seems to go up, even after loads of on board credit.:D

Edited by Pennbank

Thanks gadabout60 for reading and understanding my posts. You are correct about certain loyalty perks e.g. discounts but , in my opinion, priority boarding and tenders and the like is totally unfair to the rest who have shelled out good money and expect to be treated equally especially if they are first timers who don't want to feel as if they are in steerage on the Titanic !:):eek:

Does anyone know the reason why boarding times have changed from midday to 12.30.This means there is less time to board more passengers.Would it not make more sense to start boarding at say 11.30am?

Does anyone know the reason why boarding times have changed from midday to 12.30.This means there is less time to board more passengers.Would it not make more sense to start boarding at say 11.30am?

Yes it would indeed, or even 11:00am which is when RCI/Celebrity officially open or even earlier if they are ready.

It seems P&O are run by clock watchers and the staff dare not step out of line in case they get black marks against their name.

Sorry, but so far, that's has been my experience with P&O. Arrive around 1300, drop off the car, walk into the terminal, pick up a card, usually on board within half an hour. What's the problem? I shall be interested to see what happens on Oriana in October. Off on Tuesday on Black Watch, nobody boards until 3pm!

Edited by jeanlyon

From what I remember, it was very different 20+ years ago. You arrived at Mayflower terminal, and check in opened at midday, but boarding did not start till 2 pm. Boarding was suites, then coloured numbered tickets, and you anxiously waited for slot to come up, then you got shown to your cabin.....

Happy days!