All Things Avalon

FuelScience

3 hours ago, Karen Lynn said:

Anyone done a themed cruise? I’m looking at Burgundy and Provence southbound in France and turns out it’s a wine lovers cruise …

I like wine , but all excursions - activities ? Maybe not ?

Appreciate any feedback 

I booked this cruise which was cancelled during the virus disaster.  I didn't really notice until we made the res, either.  We live in NoCA, and got over the whole 'wine thing' years ago, so I was disappointed.  But I read about all the excursions, then studied the reviews ... and it seemed to me that it would be fine.  I mean, it's FRANCE, right?   Scrutinize the itinerary and the shore excursions to see if you'll like it.

3 hours ago, Karen Lynn said:

Anyone done a themed cruise? I’m looking at Burgundy and Provence southbound in France and turns out it’s a wine lovers cruise …

Appreciate any feedback 

It’s not like that. You still see the sites you’re suppose to see but there’s an emphasis on the fine wines of the region. More tastings, etc. 

5 hours ago, Karen Lynn said:

Appreciate any feedback 

Are all excursions listed as wine focused?  It may be that they have some extra excursions that deal with wine - or perhaps have some wine tasting on board??

We did a jazz themed cruise in the south of France  The day-to-day never changed - we just had jazz musicians (single and group) as our entertainment in the evening. 

Fran

16 minutes ago, QueenofEverything said:

I was under the impression that these were flexible and aren't assigned until 24 hours or so before.

Cannot judge for Amsterdam, but as background info I can tell you that the plans are made well in advance. I am not surprised Amsterdam has issued this plan. Koblenz has one for much of this year already: https://www.koblenz-touristik.de/_Resources/Persistent/1/2/4/4/124427b74d6c7db2d3fb77f00dcf70a5b3b39c82/Belegungsplan 16.01.2023.pdf

Rüdesheim has a plan up until the end of March.

There are always last minute changes that do not make it into the published plans and Rüdesheim used to have an online file that actually marked changes, i.e. a ship moved to landing stage 2 from 1 (as an example) or a docking cancellation.

notamermaid

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/31/2023 at 3:06 PM, QueenofEverything said:

I found a website for the Amsterdam Port Authority that shows all riverboat docking locations for the year.  I was under the impression that these were flexible and aren't assigned until 24 hours or so before.  Anyone know if these are accurate?

Our Amsterdam cruise in April, Avalon let us know where they’d be about a week before. Though the docking area was probably 1/2- 3/4 of a  mile from one end to the other with a maybe 20-30 slips mostly full. We walked from our hotel  (2 miles) to the port number that was assigned 17 or 22 kind of the last end. But when we arrived there our ship was actually in the first slot, so we had to walk that additional unplanned stretch. I’d recommend maybe calling them the morning of to make sure they gave you the right info. Even our app had it listed wrong. 

8 minutes ago, cccult said:

Our Amsterdam cruise in April, Avalon let us know where they’d be about a week before. Though the docking area was probably 1/2- 3/4 of a  mile from one end to the other with a maybe 20-30 slips mostly full. We walked from our hotel  (2 miles) to the port number that was assigned 17 or 22 kind of the last end. But when we arrived there our ship was actually in the first slot, so we had to walk that additional unplanned stretch. I’d recommend maybe calling them the morning of to make sure they gave you the right info. Even our app had it listed wrong. 

Since this information seems quite important to pax, I would hope that the cruiselines send out notices via text or email that the berthing details have been posted on their website.  I have a lot of experience communicating with large diverse groups of volunteers, and the first rule used to be 'once it's in writing, it's cast in concrete', so there's great reluctance to give people detailed information until it's super-solid.  With internet access, life is much more simple ... and efficient.

On 1/29/2023 at 11:40 AM, YoungDubFan said:

Avalon Tulip Time starting 4/29 on the Tranquility II. . The only optional I am considering is the tour to Muiderslot castle. Any thoughts?

We were signed up for it last year but didn’t make it.  I did really want to go. We heard a good reports  from other guests. Honestly, we probably should have just gone. We ended up skipping out because one of  the passengers was sailing solo and was having the worst time. She won the trip in a raffle and I swear her goal was to just make everyone miserable. She was going, so I was not. It was the end of the cruise and I didn’t mind at the time sitting it out for peace of mind and a little extra rest. Our cruise director refunded us without us even asking. I think she knew why we skipped out. 

Any docking allocation is in the hands (competent or not) be it a river or huge port location such as Amsterdam, the local docking authority, and the cruise lines have absolutely no choice in the matter. The docking position can be changed at the very last minute and then changed again. Don’t despair on your paperwork should be the contact details of your vessel if not your cruise companies office, if they cannot help I wouldn’t travel with them again. Juggling hundreds of vessels across many miles of waterways is a daunting process and if it’s to do with water the Dutch are the masters. Please don’t put the blame for location onto your cruise company.

cccult - Sorry to hear about your negative experience on your cruise. I don’t understand why some people are so negative. If I was on that cruise, I probably would have said something to the passenger. I signed up for the Castle and am looking forward to it. 

• Haha 1

cccult our Australian friends are very forthright on a walk around Bern our guide dressed as a doctor, he was excellent by the way and very very informative we were throughly enjoying his presentation and story’s when one of our number began being very rude, complaining under her breath etc just loud enough for him to hear. What to do? Fear not we had Aussies with us from the back of the group a voice said ‘I presume your an adult so you know what you can do’ then to our tour guide ‘carry on your doing great’. To a round of applause and back on board a certain person was not a happy bunny. Unfortunately you do get the odd individual with is completely uncouth.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My husband and I are on the View doing the Danube Dreams departing April 19th, 2023.   Docking now in Vilshofen...does anyone have information on a good transfer company to central Munich?  Anyone else on this sailing?

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/19/2023 at 7:33 PM, chaub said:

My husband and I are on the View doing the Danube Dreams departing April 19th, 2023.   Docking now in Vilshofen...does anyone have information on a good transfer company to central Munich?  Anyone else on this sailing?

I believe you can take the train direct from Vilshofen to the Munich station, or vice versa.  No need to switch trains.  About a two-hour trip with First and Second Class seating.  My wife and I are on the 09 MAY 2023 departure from Vilshofen aboard Avalon Envision.

https://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en?ld=4313&country=GBR&protocol=https:&seqnr=1&ident=5d.02005413.1678731175&rt=1&OK#hfsseq2|5d.02005413.1678731175

Edited by moonriver54
Trip duration change.
  • Like 1

On 3/13/2023 at 2:18 PM, moonriver54 said:

I believe you can take the train direct from Vilshofen to the Munich station, or vice versa.  No need to switch trains.  About a two-hour trip with First and Second Class seating.  My wife and I are on the 09 MAY 2023 departure from Vilshofen aboard Avalon Envision.

https://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en?ld=4313&country=GBR&protocol=https:&seqnr=1&ident=5d.02005413.1678731175&rt=1&OK#hfsseq2|5d.02005413.1678731175

Thank you!   We will have lots of luggage so thinking we may prefer a private car.   

On 1/16/2023 at 3:53 AM, CruiseMark said:

Thanks for the info. 

To clarify:

a) I don’t drink

b) I never said I didn’t want to go on excursions. In fact I’m looking forward to them. The reason I asked is that I’m a photographer, so I wanted to know if I could go photograph a cathedral for an extended time, for example, if I wanted to. 
c) I also never said I didn’t want to be around people, but forcing me to sit at a table with 8 other people and try to make small talk causes me severe anxiety. 

The local excursions are scheduled in a.m. and p.m. blocks of time so you can return to the ship for lunch.  You can choose not to return to the ship with the group, but you'll need to pay for your own way back.  Ship excursions include all transportation and guides.  If you want to venture on your own for the day, the cruise director should be able to give you suggestions for the spots you're interested in.

You can dine as you choose, with others or alone.  You'll have a great time!

• Like 2

On 2/14/2023 at 8:21 PM, cccult said:

I had a similar experience on an Avalon cruise leaving from Amsterdam.  I confirmed the docking location with Avalon before boarding the plane from the U.S., checked the app every day upon arrival to Amsterdam (we came in 3 days early), and they still changed the docking location on the day of boarding and never notified us.  We spent $80 on the Uber ride trying to find the boat and arrived at 4:45 p.m.  Final boarding was 5:00 p.m.  We missed the welcome cocktail party and it was quite stressful.

• Like 2

On 2/19/2023 at 5:33 PM, chaub said:

Ahoy!  We are two friends on this cruise on the Avalon View!  I am arriving early to explore Prague, Vienna, and joining my friend in Budapest 3 days before the river cruise.  Are you arriving early?

We are traveling to Munich, too, after the cruise.  We love train travel, so we're taking the train.  It's a 2-hour trip.  For a private transfer, I highly recommend www.mydaytrip.com.  I've used them in the past, and they have English-speaking drivers, new and clean vehicles, plenty of room for luggage, and optional sightseeing tours along the way.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, kaysha2004 said:

Ahoy!  We are two friends on this cruise on the Avalon View!  I am arriving early to explore Prague, Vienna, and joining my friend in Budapest 3 days before the river cruise.  Are you arriving early?

We are traveling to Munich, too, after the cruise.  We love train travel, so we're taking the train.  It's a 2-hour trip.  For a private transfer, I highly recommend www.mydaytrip.com.  I've used them in the past, and they have English-speaking drivers, new and clean vehicles, plenty of room for luggage, and optional sightseeing tours along the way.  

We booked a transfer with a local company.  We too have been to Budapest and love the city, so we will spend a few days beforehand.  We did this itinerary but want to try the active tours this time around.  Thanks for your reply!    

• Like 1

21 hours ago, chaub said:

We booked a transfer with a local company.  We too have been to Budapest and love the city, so we will spend a few days beforehand.  We did this itinerary but want to try the active tours this time around.  Thanks for your reply!    

We are also doing the Danube Dream 8 day cruise from Budapest to Vilshofen in October this year. Will be flying into Munich and travelling by train to Innsbruck for a 2 night stay. Then train to Budapest for a 2 night stay before the start of the cruise. 
After the cruise we will take a long train ride from Vilshofen to Rostock in northern Germany for a 5 night stay. Next stop will be Hamburg for an 8 day Northern Europe cruise with MSC.

Looking forward to our 3rd Avalon cruise!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ikesyd said:

We are also doing the Danube Dream 8 day cruise from Budapest to Vilshofen in October this year. Will be flying into Munich and travelling by train to Innsbruck for a 2 night stay. Then train to Budapest for a 2 night stay before the start of the cruise. 
After the cruise we will take a long train ride from Vilshofen to Rostock in northern Germany for a 5 night stay. Next stop will be Hamburg for an 8 day Northern Europe cruise with MSC.

Looking forward to our 3rd Avalon cruise!

Oh Rostock!  We spent several days there.  Hotel Neptune.  A skinny skyscraper right on the water ... beach, channel for ferries, a gazillion sailboats (who like to play chicken with the ferries).  Nice ladies are on the beach to rent you a strandkorb, kind of a mini-shelter with chairs and protection from the sun and wind.  We loved the place.  Hotel has not a smidgen of atmosphere, but the room was comfy and the views were killer.  The terrific breakfast is served on the top floor in a huge room, complete with people trying to run you down every 5'.  

I booked a cruise for August through a TA who had a promotion that was better with the fly free offer that Avalon is offering on their website, so I did not get my flights from Avalon. I booked my own flight over using AA miles, but need a flight back. Delta has a non-stop that I want to book (the only non-stop PRG-JFK). Will Avalon book me just one way, and can I call them myself (as I do with Celebrity and HAL) or do I have to go through my TA? Is the price likely to be any cheaper than buying it myself? In theory, if they book it I would get a free transfer from the hotel (which is part of the cruise) to the airport, so that could be advantageous. 

Edited by MisterBill99

6 hours ago, MisterBill99 said:

I booked a cruise for August through a TA who had a promotion that was better with the fly free offer that Avalon is offering on their website, so I did not get my flights from Avalon. I booked my own flight over using AA miles, but need a flight back. Delta has a non-stop that I want to book (the only non-stop PRG-JFK). Will Avalon book me just one way, and can I call them myself (as I do with Celebrity and HAL) or do I have to go through my TA? Is the price likely to be any cheaper than buying it myself? In theory, if they book it I would get a free transfer from the hotel (which is part of the cruise) to the airport, so that could be advantageous. 

I’d just book it myself. One and done. 
Why bother going through a middle man for a simple flight purchase? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MisterBill99 said:

Delta has a non-stop that I want to book (the only non-stop PRG-JFK). Will Avalon book me just one way, and can I call them myself (as I do with Celebrity and HAL) or do I have to go through my TA? Is the price likely to be any cheaper than buying it myself? In theory, if they book it I would get a free transfer from the hotel (which is part of the cruise) to the airport, so that could be advantageous. 

I think you have to go thru your TA, but it doesn't hurt to try calling Avalon 1st. Compare fares from Avalon vs. booking your own flights.

Taxis or private transfers from Prague to the airport will not break the bank! 

Agree with @TMLAalum, you probably will have to go through your TA. You could also have your TA look for flights, they may be able to get better rates as well. If you go with Avalon, once the flights are booked, you can go online with the airline and select your own seats & upgrade if desired.

12 hours ago, MisterBill99 said:

Avalon told us they only book round trip tickets

• Like 1