Is it possible to eat healthy on a cruise?

Ok so I am on a diet. 1200 calories a day and I'm going on a cruise. 21 more pounds to lose. Not the best time I know but hey it's going to be a lifestyle change for me. At least I hope so!

I need to eat low carb, low calorie, low sugar, type foods. We'll be on the Explorer of the Seas in less than 2 weeks to Alaska. My plan is to go to the fitness area at least 4-5 times while onboard. I can say no to the desserts after every dinner meal. But just wondering if they offer "Healthy Meals?" Do they offer healthy smoothie's anywhere on the ship? I like fish and Salmon but not any other kind of seafood.

Your thoughts or suggestions will be appreciated. :)

I don't recall a venue that serves smoothies on Explorer. However, there is a wide variety of food choices and it's not that hard to eat healthy (whatever that is this week:rolleyes:) if you want.

Edited by clarea

it's nice to have the flavored waters available all day in the windjammer. I know they have sugar free options for dessert but they taste funny (to me) so I am inclined to just skip them. You can get fresh eggs in the morning, cooked any way you want. I know you said low sugar but lots of fruit on board. At dinner, you can request plain steam veggies. (most times this came out as just peas and carrots; but who knows what they might offer!) My plan when cruising is not worrying what I eat but more not eating so much! After all, it is a vacation and the pool/gym/walking track are always open!!

I have no weight issues but eat healthfully and exercise nearly every day of my life, even on a cruise.

I only eat white meat grilled chicken, lots of salad with minimal dressing, oatmeal, eggs, nuts, etc. I might have one alcoholic drink on a 10 day cruise and I almost never eat dessert, don't like ice cream, coffee or calorie-laden soft drinks. I never take an elevator and power walk on deck for 45 - 60 minutes.

I have never gained weigh on a cruise and usually lose a pound or two.

Congrats on your weight loss - clearly, you know what you are doing!

It is possible but it takes will power stear clear of the flavoured water in wind jammer bulk up on things like salad and fruit the sugar free deserts as full of fat if u eat in the mdr there is a vitality menu which is 800 cals if u are still hungry after dinner in the mdr go to windjammers and get a salad and my slimming club consultant to me not to stress if I gain a few pounds once I work to get them off I'll have great memories. I found it was the fact the food was so easily available made it harder

You can eat healthy on your cruise. I lost weight on our last cruise. I did not go without but I really focused on small portions. I ate what I wanted within reason. I don't do sweets, don't have a sweet tooth.

With all the stairs up and down and walking around the ship along with what we had going on in port. My biggest love is fresh bread with butter and that was the only item I wanted to go to town on. :)

Enjoy your cruise and try not to make your diet rule you. Happy Cruising.

I need to eat low carb, low calorie, low sugar, type foods....

Sounds good. You absolutely can choose the kinds of foods you list here, but do be careful of the "sugar-free" options on board, as they can still be high in carbohydrates. If the smoothies you mention contain fruit, be careful as well (most fruit is high in carbs). You can ask for a bowl of mixed berries for dessert in the dining room, and as well, you can request plain chicken and steak (no sauces, etc.). The buffet, although tempting, can be a good option because of the huge amount of healthy choices. I choose salad for lunch there and make my own sandwich with one slice of multigrain bread, one piece of cheese, and lots of fresh veggies.

Exercise-wise, I take the stairs down every time, and up if it's not more than, well, 6 decks. ;) Explorer has a nice gym and a great walking/jogging track on Deck 12.

Have fun! Alaska is beautiful. :)

I take a plant based pill called block that allows me to eat double the amount of carbs on a cruise that I normally eat and not gain any weight. I use it for any meal that is high in carbs. on a daily basis at home too.

I eat what I want now, and haven't gained any of the 24 pounds that I lost.

It is wonderful to be able to eat what I want and not worry about gaining weight.

For women older than 50, like me, know that most of us have a slow metabolism and one dessert we can gain 3-5 pounds.

Not any more for me!!

Yippee!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It is most certainly possible to eat healthy on a cruise.

There are abundant fruits and vegetables and you can double salads and vegetables, and of course with dressing on the side or no dressing. Stay away from most anything with a sauce.

Be careful with the sugar free desserts, sugar free does not necessarily mean low calorie.

Unless the MDR is a big deal to you my suggestion is Windjammer. I am a strict vegetarian and always eat in Windjammer, much more choice.

It is possible but it takes will power stear clear of the flavoured water in wind jammer bulk up on things like salad and fruit the sugar free deserts as full of fat if u eat in the mdr there is a vitality menu which is 800 cals if u are still hungry after dinner in the mdr go to windjammers and get a salad and my slimming club consultant to me not to stress if I gain a few pounds once I work to get them off I'll have great memories. I found it was the fact the food was so easily available made it harder

What's wrong with flavoured water does it contain sugar

What's wrong with flavoured water does it contain sugar

Yep it does sent my dads sugars sky high last year

They say it is sugar-free and sweetened with an artificial sweetener, but they do not provide any nutritional information with it. I won't touch it.

Plenty of healthy options, but honestly trying different food is one of the great things about cruising.

If you cut out the alcoholic fruity drinks and sugary sodas, bread and limit yourself to one dessert a day . . . combined with stairs over elevators, the heat/humidity in the Carribbean and walking around ports/ship . . . you should be just fine.

It can be hard to know just what causes blood sugar to spike, carbs are the big culprit, not just sugar, a lot of things are listed as "no sugar" or similar but still high in carbs.

Ok so I am on a diet. 1200 calories a day and I'm going on a cruise. 21 more pounds to lose. Not the best time I know but hey it's going to be a lifestyle change for me. At least I hope so!

I need to eat low carb, low calorie, low sugar, type foods. We'll be on the Explorer of the Seas in less than 2 weeks to Alaska. My plan is to go to the fitness area at least 4-5 times while onboard. I can say no to the desserts after every dinner meal. But just wondering if they offer "Healthy Meals?" Do they offer healthy smoothie's anywhere on the ship? I like fish and Salmon but not any other kind of seafood.

I am supposed to be on a gluten free diet .However,I always eat whatever I want to on a cruise . I do not count calories .I know that when I am home I can adhere to healthy eating .

I do however go to the ship's fitness center every day and walk as much as possible in ports.I average 3-5 miles of walking in ports.

All it takes is a strong will.

I have only been on two cruises (2 more this summer!), and I have lost weight on both without feeling deprived. I stay away from breads, pastas and fried/breaded food, and always have dessert at dinner (which I never do at home). And I walk everywhere. I wish it were so easy at home, actually.

It helps that I don't drink much alcohol. Maybe a glass of wine at one or two dinners. It interferes too much with my sleep to be worthwhile.

So definitely doable!

There are plenty of healthy choices available almost everywhere we've always found. We always ask for a fruit plate for our starter and dessert. We also ask for baked potato, mixed green salad or steamed veggies depending what we're having as our main. Can't comment about smoothies as I've never asked for one, but it wouldn't surprise me if you did find they were available somewhere.

Our waiters have always had no problems accommodating our requests.

Well done on your loss so far too!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by Alohaaloha

I find it to be easier to eat healthy on a cruise than at home--there are more options for me and someone else is doing all of the work--so there is never that choice of be lazy and eat poorly or get in gear and fix a healthy meal.

The only think I can add to the already great advice you have gotten is not to forget that you can get great calorie burning cardio workouts in by joining in in the line dance classes or zumba classes, etc put on by cruise staff and dancing the night away at the clubs or deck parties. That is always more fun than the gym for me