Crown and Anchor Refused Points

Has anyone been refused points for a cruise paid for however not completed. I purchased a cruise in February 2016 paid in full for April 3rd sailing. I did not go on the cruise for Medical reasons. I feel I should have at least got the points from RCCL and C & A. they received the $$ for the trip and I feel they should award points. They refuse to. Anyone else feel violated from Royal Caribbean?

Edited by Pedabob

Has anyone been refused points for a cruise paid for however not completed. I purchased a cruise in February 2016 paid in full for April 3rd sailing. I did not go on the cruise for Medical reasons. I feel I should have at least got the points from RCCL and C & A. they received the $$ for the trip and I feel they should award points. They refuse to. Anyone else feel violated from Royal Caribbean?

This is reported from time to time, and is one of the very few things Royal is consistent on. You must go on the cruise to get the points.

Has anyone been refused points for a cruise paid for however not completed. I purchased a cruise in February 2016 paid in full for April 3rd. I did not go on the cruise for Medical reasons. I feel I should have at least got the points from RCCL and C & A. They received the $$ for the trip and I feel they should award points. They refuse to. Anyone else feel violated from Royal Caribbean?
You don't cruise you don't get the points, end of conversation! I'm also assuming you didn't have insurance???:rolleyes:

I don't know if this is the reason, but maybe they're worried this will set a precedent of "buying" cruise points in order to move up in C&A status. Seems like a mighty expensive venture to try, but it's just a thought. :rolleyes:

Edited by ramja96

I don't know if this is the reason, but maybe they're worried this will set a precedent of "buying" cruise points in order to move up in C&A status. Seems like a mighty expensive venture to try, but it's just a thought. :rolleyes:

Well, it's cheaper than actually going on the cruise, isn't it? :D

No gratuities, no port taxes, no onboard spending, no travel costs to get to/from port.. Etc.

You don't cruise you don't get the points, end of conversation!

Exactly, points are based on nights cruised, not who pays for it and everyone who cruises gets points whether they paid for their cruise or not. The other common complaint I see is folks who pay for more than one cabin seem to think they should get points for every cabin.

I have heard this before of not getting points unless you go on the trip but I do feel its unfair since you paid in full with no refund. It would be crazy for someone to pay for a trip and not attend it to move up in points. People with that kind of money to blow dont need points.

Everyone has. :rolleyes:

When you go on the Royal C&A site they are listed as "Completed Cruise Points", that's why you don't get points if you don't go, they are based on the number of nights spent on the ship. It's the same way for frequent flyer miles which are based on the length of the flight, if you don't fly you don't earn miles. Or hotel loyalty points based on how many nights you stay. Don't stay, no points.

It's an industry standard, and while there might be some companies that do it different or do partial points based on cost, it's pretty normal for points only to be awarded for activities you personally participated in.

I have heard this before of not getting points unless you go on the trip but I do feel its unfair since you paid in full with no refund. It would be crazy for someone to pay for a trip and not attend it to move up in points. People with that kind of money to blow dont need points.
INSURANCE!!!!!!!:rolleyes: Edited by Thetrail

paying for it means nothing. if you do not TAKE the cruise you do not earn the points. it has always been that way.

cruise insurance reimburses the money.

they only time they award cruise points for a sailing not taken is if the cruise is canceled due to THEIR decision. ( weather, mechanical issues, etc).

Nothing unfair about it and if it ever happened to us in no way woudl be feel 'violated' or cheated.

I'm thinking too that since you didn't go, the cruise was canceled, you lost all your money because you fell in that no refund window. So my guess is you cant get points for a canceled cruise.

buy a few inside berths at rock bottom prices especially if you are only a few points shy? I can guarantee people would do that. hell every so often people come on here asking if it is possible.

due to how my past cruises were, I am consistently ONE point shy when I get close to moving up. Damn skippy I'd be willing to pay a flat fee to bump my butt up to Diamond especially since a quicky 3 or 4 nighter is not an option for a few reasons right now

Everyone here is curious: Did you have travel insurance? Did you receive a refund?

I hope that your medical issues have been positively resolved, and wish you only good health and good cruises from here on out.

On a two-week Celebrity cruise, DW had a medical issue and we had to return home mid-way through the cruise. I don't know what RCI might have done, but Celebrity awarded the Captain's Club points as if we had completed the cruise.

What if you miss the initial embarkation and have to join a cruise at the next port? Would RCI dock points for the night(s) missed? While I agree with the general philosophy of only getting points for nights aboard, I would hope that there's some flexibility to accommodate such situations.

As awestover89 said, this is the was flights and hotels are as well (and how every cruise line in my experience does it).

Sorry you had to miss your cruise and lose out on the money (assuming you had no insurance), but I am not seeing where you have any cause to be upset about not be awarded points.

On a two-week Celebrity cruise, DW had a medical issue and we had to return home mid-way through the cruise. I don't know what RCI might have done, but Celebrity awarded the Captain's Club points as if we had completed the cruise.

What if you miss the initial embarkation and have to join a cruise at the next port? Would RCI dock points for the night(s) missed? While I agree with the general philosophy of only getting points for nights aboard, I would hope that there's some flexibility to accommodate such situations.

Some years ago, we were sailing on the Freedom, and one day shy of San Juan, received a ship to shore call that my daughter was rushed to the hospital when her blood pressure dropped to danger zone. Thank goodness the next port was San Juan as we were able to get a flight back without any problems. Only sailed 2 days, but got the full points. Had insurance and cruise cost was refunded prorated and difference in airfare cost. No reimbursement for car service to take us to airport nor the over $100 in telephone costs.

Ps. My daughter was released from the hospital after a week. Also, that night that we got that awful call we were approached by a RCL staff asking us if we would be interested in dining with the Captain the next night--we accepted. Only time ever invited and couldn't make it.

they only time they award cruise points for a sailing not taken is if the cruise is canceled due to THEIR decision. ( weather, mechanical issues, etc).

True...I received my entire double solo cruiser points for the Anthem of the Seas cruise that was turned around due to the 150 mph winds and 40 ft. seas, even though we didn't complete the cruise.

Well, it's cheaper than actually going on the cruise, isn't it? :D

No gratuities, no port taxes, no onboard spending, no travel costs to get to/from port.. Etc.

I suspect this is the crux of it, in the eyes of the cruise line. In large part, your cabin fare covers the basic operating costs of the ship. The real profit comes from what you spend onboard and if you aren't onboard to spend money, they don't profit. So they don't award cruise points. ;)

We had to get off a cruise half way through because of medical with my mother and we received all our points. Also missed one day of a cruise because of plane delays and received all points. I'm a firm believer of cruise insurance.

True...I received my entire double solo cruiser points for the Anthem of the Seas cruise that was turned around due to the 150 mph winds and 40 ft. seas, even though we didn't complete the cruise.

I think that is a very different type of situation. The cruise was cut short by a RCCL decision for safety. They should give you the points!!!!!!!!!

Anyone else feel violated from Royal Caribbean?

Violated? Had to cancel last May on the eve of embarkation for a family medical emergency. Never once thought of the points. Of course we had insurance so maybe that's the difference. Violated seems a little strong to me. Hope everyone is well and happy cruising.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk