Worst Internet at sea

ghstudio

Aboard the Eclipse and the internet is just unusable. Can't log on and if you do manage, you can't even get Google to respond. Be warned...either the Eclipse has a serious problem or the new system is just way overloaded.

Aboard the Eclipse and the internet is just unusable. Can't log on and if you do manage, you can't even get Google to respond. Be warned...either the Eclipse has a serious problem or the new system is just way overloaded.

I was aboard Eclipse from 20 March until 3 April and, during that sailing, thought the internet connectivity/response time was the best I've ever encountered aboard any Celebrity ship...

Perhaps something has gone awry... Or perhaps [i'd like to think not but they may have overestimated their "might" following system upgrades] it's due to the sales push for/proliferation of unlimited internet packages...

We were on the Reflection in March. Yes, IMO the internet has improved, if you upgrade, however not as good as our December Allure of the Seas internet. It was as fast as home. Now, I have been trying to sign up for a meet and mingle on the Celebrity website as are other members of CC sailing on the same date on the Summit, and we are all having major difficulty attempting to sign up. The internet and on-line services provided by celebrity need real help!

I am currently on the Millennium - first cruise after dry dock and the installation of Xcelerate. It's abysmal. It's been down more than it's been up and when it's up, it's painfully slow. I got unlimited internet as one of my perks. If I had paid extra for it, I'd be going ballistic. However, having said that, I guess I did pay for it, it was just buried in the fare. In any event, it's horrible!

Wow! This was not our experience at all on the cruise just prior to yours, ghstudio (Eclipse B2B from Miami to Southampton TA then RT Southampton to Norway). We had unlimited internet that worked very well except when we were deep in some of the Norwegian fiords. Highest speeds we have ever experienced on a =X= ship. I wonder why there's such a huge difference?

Betsy

Possibly a real problem on the M class ships. Seems that the Summit and Milli are having great difficulty- wonder if also a problem on the infinity. However, I believe one poster with poor service was on the Eclipse. I do not understand why Celebrity is such a problem and her sister brand Royal isn't.

Edited by Cruise a holic

Sorry to hear. What type of device are you using?

Before the upgrade we used an IPad, Macbookpro, and an IPhone on the Eclipse in January and although it was slow sometimes is was always usable.

Edited by jagoffee

I am currently on the Millennium - first cruise after dry dock and the installation of Xcelerate. It's abysmal. It's been down more than it's been up and when it's up, it's painfully slow. I got unlimited internet as one of my perks. If I had paid extra for it, I'd be going ballistic. However, having said that, I guess I did pay for it, it was just buried in the fare. In any event, it's horrible!

We were on the 3 last cruises on Millennium before drydock. We were in a suite on the first segment and the internet was abysmal as you say. On the second and third, we moved to an AQ cabin and it was better, but still not very fast, and sometimes down completely.

Has anyone noticed that when you go to log off, it says you have xxx minutes left. Then when you confirm the log off it is always one minute less! I know, it's only a minute, but when you have to log on and off several times/day because it is just not working well or down, these minutes add up.

I'm sorry to hear that after drydock it is still the same old story with slow internet. Hope everything else is great.

Edited by TeaBag

Could your location on the ship be an issue? As in some rooms it is great and others it isn't?

Just an idea, me and my iPad are both a bit slow but we have always coped....

Surely the revamped must be better....

Possibly a real problem on the M class ships. Seems that the Summit and Milli are having great difficulty- wonder if also a problem on the infinity. However, I believe one poster with poor service was on the Eclipse. I do not understand why Celebrity is such a problem and her sister brand Royal isn't.

No problem on Constellation TA last month. Even did FaceTime well.

I wonder what Celebrity is offering those who paid for it, but it doesn't work. Most likely nothing if it was part of your perks. We seem to get nickled and dimed to death, and for what? This entire idea of charging or giving clients something that companies don't deliver is way over the top and seems to be the norm nowadays...sad that someone's agreement doesn't mean anything anymore.:eek:

Edited by Lastdance

I wonder what Celebrity is offering those who paid for it, but it doesn't work. Most likely nothing if it was part of your perks. We seem to get nickeled and died to death, and for what? This entire idea of charging or giving clients something that companies don't deliver is way over the top and seems to be the norm nowadays...sad that someone's agreement doesn't mean anything anymore.:eek:

More lowering of expectations?

I am totally glad that it worked for you!!!

Edited by Lastdance

We are currently aboard the Infinity and the Xcelerate Internet is performing like a breeze. Seriously, folks... it's like almost being at home. We're using iPhones and iPads.

I started the thread at an Internet cafe. I am now posting from the ship and its taken 10 minutes to get to starting this response. I have tried Windows laptop, iPad,android tablet...all work abysmally slowly. The it staff seems to have no clue. We are at sea so no mountains to block reception. Just a lousy system lousy implementation or ? But it's relatively useless

I just got off the Celebrity Solstice on May 13. We were in a suite in the aft. The connection hardly ever worked We just wanted it to check our emails since that was the way we were communicating back home.

Other than the internet, it was a fabulous cruise.

We were on the March 20 - 14 day sailing on Eclipse. We noticed a marked improvement after we docked in St. Maarten, early in the cruise. I was using a Kindle Fire just to check email.

Edited by CHEZMARYLOU

I was aboard Eclipse from 20 March until 3 April and, during that sailing, thought the internet connectivity/response time was the best I've ever encountered aboard any Celebrity ship...

Perhaps something has gone awry... Or perhaps [i'd like to think not but they may have overestimated their "might" following system upgrades] it's due to the sales push for/proliferation of unlimited internet packages...

We were on the Equinox in early to mid April .. same experience ... very much improved and definitely as fast as my service at home. The connection wasn't dropped once. We sailed on the day it was released on the Equinox ... but I tend to think it is because of the influx of the unlimited packages overloaded the system! Can't win for losing as the problem they fixed was destroyed by a new problem that they created. Too bad!!

Here is a possible unrelated bit of info. My daughter and her new DH were on the NCL Breakaway last week to Bermuda and said that the internet was almost always down. May be a service provider issue. Aboutt a month ago on the Summit the internet connectivity and speed were great.

Edited by cruisingdelt
I really can't spell

I started the thread at an Internet cafe. I am now posting from the ship and its taken 10 minutes to get to starting this response. I have tried Windows laptop, iPad,android tablet...all work abysmally slowly. The it staff seems to have no clue. We are at sea so no mountains to block reception. Just a lousy system lousy implementation or ? But it's relatively useless

What is your location?

While Cruise Critic was down I looked up your location. Iceland. That is the problem. You are at a northern latitude. The satellites coverage gets poorer the farther north you go because of their orbits. Had simillar issues when I did a North Cape cruise.

Edited by Charles4515