Celebrity Moving Down Market??

vancojo

Fortunately not, but if X is spending their improvement monies on technology while cutting back on activities then yes it does affect our experience.

That's the way I understood the post.

And yes it sux to have to use five minutes to send an email.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The internet is quite speedy now, much faster (as in 10 times the speed) and works just about everywhere.

We have friends who have cruised on most of the other lines. Last year they tried the 14 day Eclipse and complained that there was no entertainment before of after dinner. We used to have quiet music time as Isabella mentioned. Some were very enjoyable. On one cruise' date=' there was a guitar player and pax were actually dancing in the aisle!

If, by "down market" you mean lower class pax, I doubt it.

With so many people on each ship, you will find some from most walks of life. This is what I have observed on most of our cruises.[/quote']

Just off the Connie, the music is still there but it moves around the ship. Check the dailies. We had four separate music groups/duos/individuals around the ship and that doesn't include the production band.

Just off the Connie, the music is still there but it moves around the ship. Check the dailies. We had four separate music groups/duos/individuals around the ship and that doesn't include the production band.

Did you notice any live music by Cafe al Bacio on Connie?

FromVILLAUK:

The Activities Staff were definitely cut a couple of years ago. It was highlighted many times on CC and confirmed by many staff onboard . Justification (from an officer): X are targeting the younger, more affluent guest that doesn't want entertainment but to sit, relax and use their own IT equipment to pass time .

That is why

I agree with everything you've said . ( I don't fault Celebrity but agree with your observations )

But ..... upgrading IT/communication systems has nothing to do with reduced entertainment and service staff .

That is due to Celebrity's desire to increased suite staff , spa staff , and merchandising staff .

It's about reducing basic staff and transferring these bodies into profit generator areas .

Likewise upgrading safety , climate , mechanical , or electronic systems shouldn't impact entertainment staff levels .

I am sure it will. Sounds like the eclipse is to you what the Solstice is for me.:D

It DOES seem that Celebrity does a good job of "fine tuning" certain ships. The Eclipse does 14 day trips far more than the others. This seems to have attracted a certain clientele. Certain pax seem to like longer trips(14 days away from the snow up here in NH works fine for us!)

It DOES seem that Celebrity does a good job of "fine tuning" certain ships. The Eclipse does 14 day trips far more than the others. This seems to have attracted a certain clientele. Certain pax seem to like longer trips(14 days away from the snow up here in NH works fine for us!)

Agreed, Some ships handle the longer cruises better than others as well.:D

I agree with everything you've said . ( I don't fault Celebrity but agree with your observations )

But ..... upgrading IT/communication systems has nothing to do with reduced entertainment and service staff .

That is due to Celebrity's desire to increased suite staff , spa staff , and merchandising staff .

It's about reducing basic staff and transferring these bodies into profit generator areas .

Likewise upgrading safety , climate , mechanical , or electronic systems shouldn't impact entertainment staff levels .

It definitely does have a knock on effect because without upgrading its IT systems, X could not reduce those entertainment bodies without providing an alternative and subsequently introduce further merchandising staff i.e. their goal is to encourage a clientele base that wants to use their own IT equipment to entertain themselves, so reducing their entertainment overheads.

In order to do that, they need to provide an excellent IT connection for those pax. Hence they are now pushing the Wifi option as one of the perks. Once the system has been installed, it won't cost them anymore, and they needed to upgrade irrespectively (their own onboard accounting systems would need it just the same as all companies reassess their own needs/capabilities), so it's the same whether one person uses it or the whole ship. Win, win for X and at the same time they can reduce the entertainment overheads and replace with money generating sales staff for the shops (filling those empty crew bunks in the process).

However, this then changes the experience for their regular clientele - the 'old gang' that suddenly are being hawked making their way to the theatre. I imagine excellent marketing would then divert some of this change by highlighting major improvements - enhance the suite experience for extra $, offer 4 perks and you'll keep one segment happy ;). Clever companies do this so you are totally unaware of what is happening - they obviously scored with some pax ;).

All that being said, it comes down to actual enjoyment of the vacation. When one side outweighs the other, then it's time to look elsewhere. The general population's needs are changing and IT is now a way of life for some - they live in a virtual world and can not function without being 'connected' :D. We personally sail for the itineraries, but have definitely noticed the reduction in the activities staff - not enough for us to jump ship yet, but who knows what's around the corner with the new builds ;).

Edited by villauk

It definitely does have a knock on effect because without upgrading its IT systems, X could not reduce those entertainment bodies without providing an alternative and subsequently introduce further merchandising staff i.e. their goal is to encourage a clientele base that wants to use their own IT equipment to entertain themselves, so reducing their entertainment overheads.

We blamed the reduction on entertainment staff on drink packages the first time though, now it's IT systems. We should pick one ;)

We blamed the reduction on entertainment staff on drink packages the first time though, now it's IT systems. We should pick one ;)

I happen to agree with richstowe's assessment of what happened (reduced entertainment staff and used those cabins to house more suite, spa and merchandising staff - the last two who not only MAKE money for Celebrity but are outsourced so not even paid by the cruiseline).

But it really doesn't matter why the entertainment staff were reduced but DOES matter what effect that reduction had on the cruise experience itself.

Edited by chamima

'We' or I? Not blamed, knock on effect was stated in the above post regarding the IT system ;). There is a definite correlation. The reduction in activities staff can encourage pax to drink more if there are less activities and the reduction can also be in direct response to X wanting to change the brand clientele i.e. not wanting pax who require to be entertained, preferring those who entertain themselves with their own IT equipment ;). Are you suggesting they cannot be linked?

I quoted, as I said in the earlier post, what had been stated to me regarding X's market direction.

'We' or I? Not blamed, knock on effect was stated in the above post regarding the IT system ;). There is a definite correlation. The reduction in activities staff can encourage pax to drink more if there are less activities and the reduction can also be in direct response to X wanting to change the brand clientele i.e. not wanting pax who require to be entertained, preferring those who entertain themselves with their own IT equipment ;). Are you suggesting they cannot be linked?

I quoted, as I said in the earlier post, what had been stated to me regarding X's market direction.

Definitely not you. 'We' as in the Celebrity board. And agree with the post above, it doesn't really matter why.

Why bother to go on the cruise to be entertained by IT equipment? People can just sit on their couches and play games, watch videos or movies....

If the cruise lines are starting with that approach, will have to start to look at other types of vacation.

I'm baffled as to why you care or would even make such a comment about how someone else chooses to relax and spend their time.

I am also baffled by the comment, It seems that every week there is a post where someone is complaining about the slow internet on ship. So RCCL bumps up the speed on both lines to make em happy. Now we have the comment that because of the internet available it is time for someone to stop cruising! Totally baffling.

Why bother to go on the cruise to be entertained by IT equipment? People can just sit on their couches and play games, watch videos or movies....

If the cruise lines are starting with that approach, will have to start to look at other types of vacation.

Because some of us need a good internet connection to stay in touch with our children and elderly, ill parents.

But go ahead and paint with that broad negative brush.

Correlation and causation are not the same.

I happen to agree with richstowe's assessment of what happened (reduced entertainment staff and used those cabins to house more suite, spa and merchandising staff - the last two who not only MAKE money for Celebrity but are outsourced so not even paid by the cruiseline).

But it really doesn't matter why the entertainment staff were reduced but DOES matter what effect that reduction had on the cruise experience itself.

Agreed on both points.:D

Because some of us need a good internet connection to stay in touch with our children and elderly, ill parents.

But go ahead and paint with that broad negative brush.

Or to keep in touch with their jobs, I know a fair few cruisers who can only get two weeks leave as long as they do a few hours of work each day/night by keeping on top of things back at work.

Correlation and causation are not the same.

Both have a mutual relationship ;). And I think you will find I stated both were linked to the activities staff reduction, whether it be the cause or effect ;). As Chamima said, it all comes down to whether it has a big effect on your cruise enjoyment. We have noticed the difference, but not enough for us to move on...yet.

Edited by villauk

I'm just hoping that Celebrity continues to chase off all those people that hate internet, entertainment, food, service, drink prices or whatever else they complain about. Thus with subsequent bookings down, I'll get better cabin prices. :D

I wouldn't mind that happening to the cruises I am interested in as well.:D

Hi

I could not edit my reply: 1 comment and a proposed solution:

RCI ships have a reputation of being the 'party vessels'.

The solution is easy - stop including the 'free drinks packages' in the boarding fare.

Annie

Personally I think the drinks package is here to stay. Many passengers don't drink enough to make it pay however celebrity have the money. I suspect maybe 10-15% drink way over the cost however the majority done go anywhere near the cost. A money maker for Celebrity I think.