Suites: Separate Dining Room

JohnDG

Personally, I think HAL will do something similar or they will see a migration of their high paying, high profit, suites passengers to other cruise lines.

We haven't cruised Celebrity but we have been in a suite on Oasis which does have a separate dining room and lounge for suites passengers. Enjoyed the lounge. Thought Coastal Kitchens (suites dining area) was vastly over-rated.

Some who fly first class pay less than some who fly coach. I get an approximate 10-12% discount on my fare because of the TA I use. I get stockholders benefits. Do some pay more or less than what I do for my room? So what?

Thiss post isnot accurate/many times we hadv ery special treeats. You have no way gto know thingotherst they y don't tell you. I have no plan o lis b ut I t dsuch extras herfe b ut aassure you. thessew werew things that huely increased our enjoyment o many aa cruise. gthey know wha tyou paid, gtthey know your cruise hory. xy df do notdso t make sttagtements aboutb what you csannot likely know.

i

Edited by sail7seas

Thiss post not accurate/many times we hadv ery special treeats. You havew no way gto knows thingsotgherrfst they y don't gell you. I have no plan tgo lis ithegd b ut I assur you. thessew werew things that huely increased our enjoyment o many aa cruise. gthey know wha tyou paid, gtthey know your cruise hisgory. xy df do notdso t make sttagtements aboutb what you csannot likely knwe.

i

Huh?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thiss post isnot accurate/many times we hadv ery special treeats. You have no way gto know thingotherst they y don't tell you. I have no plan o lis b ut I t dsuch extras herfe b ut aassure you. thessew werew things that huely increased our enjoyment o many aa cruise. gthey know wha tyou paid, gtthey know your cruise hory. xy df do notdso t make sttagtements aboutb what you csannot likely know.

i

I completely agree with you. I was responding to post #47 where the poster claimed that paying more did not necessarily result in receiving more from Holland, that often passengers in the same category paid different amounts.

i

I fully agree!! We have had wonderful surprises on board. Like any company they know what we pay and what our average on board spend is. I don't agree with anyone that says HAL doesn't care about their high revenue passengers.

Mention the words “suite perks” and you will have a storm of protests. I’m still trying to figure out whether it is envy, jealousy, frustration, or disdain (if I can’t have it, neither can you, it will impact my cruise, are you too good to . . . etc.) :confused:

Edited by JimAOk1945

Now this thread is quite...entertaining. "Suite hearts" funny. not wanting to mix with the people In "steerage", hilarious. I must confess that I am a suite-a-holic but never imagined that it was so offensive to some people. Oh well I guess I will just have to put up with those Suite People in the Neptune Lounge. Fair Winds and Calm Seas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The problem with carving out space for suite passengers is that as far as I can tell, either the suite passengers always go to their exclusive restaurant or they can choose to go or not. That means they have reserved space in two dining venues simultaneously, possibly three if they choose to go to the speciality restaurant instead.

Celebrity's suite restaurant, Luminae, shares its kitchen with the one for the MDR. So a suite guest can order off either menu. There'd be no need to go to the MDR for food one can get in Luminae.

Meanwhile, any ship with traditional dining and a specialty restaurant has reserved space for a passenger who may be eating in a specialty restaurant one or two evenings. That's not a problem exclusive (ahem) to a suite restaurant.

Shouldn't the issue be getting better quality food? Serve better cuts of meat, offer unique menus and actually season the food would be a true perk. Who cares where you sit to eat if the food is all the same.

Some seldom visit the MDR. Too crowded. Too noisy. Menus. Perhaps suites dining might be attractive.

We don't see many dress code thrzcx these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I fully agree!! We have had wonderful surprises on board. Like any company they know what we pay and what our average on board spend is. I don't agree with anyone that says HAL doesn't care about their high revenue passengers.

Ditto, frank. We have had lots of nice treats and likely t what we paid, and how many [/b]times. has something to do with it?...or MAYBE THEY JUST LIED USz lot? :d

Shouldn't the issue be getting better quality food? Serve better cuts of meat, offer unique menus and actually season the food would be a true perk. Who cares where you sit to eat if the food is all the same.

(bold is mine) That's a good point.

Better food is the idea behind having a separate suites dining room. A friend who sailed on one of the RC ships said that the best food was in the suites dining room. On Cunard, the MDR menu is the starting point for the suites restaurants. As you go up each level, there's more choice and more "always available" items. Another "enhancement" in a suites dining rooms is better service, if only because there are more servers.

In order to give the suites passengers the "enhanced" menu, the ship puts them in a separate room. If they didn't, there would be worse envy/resentment from non-suites passengers, when they see filet mignon served at a nearby table when they're getting strip steak. This would put waitstaff in an awkward position. "Sorry, sir, your cabin doesn't get served from that menu."

For those who don't think suites should have a separate dining room, how do you feel about Pinnacle? That's an upsell. A suites dining room is another kind of upsell.

Better food is the idea behind having a separate suites dining room. A friend who sailed on one of the RC ships said that the best food was in the suites dining room. On Cunard, the MDR menu is the starting point for the suites restaurants. As you go up each level, there's more choice and more "always available" items. Another "enhancement" in a suites dining rooms is better service, if only because there are more servers.

In order to give the suites passengers the "enhanced" menu, the ship puts them in a separate room. If they didn't, there would be worse envy/resentment from non-suites passengers, when they see filet mignon served at a nearby table when they're getting strip steak. This would put waitstaff in an awkward position. "Sorry, sir, your cabin doesn't get served from that menu."

For those who don't think suites should have a separate dining room, how do you feel about Pinnacle? That's an upsell. A suites dining room is another kind of upsell.

As good an explanation as there is. Good on you.

Exactly so.

One small difference. We've dined in the RCI suites dining room (coastal kitchens) and were not impressed. We actually preferred the buffet. There are only two dinner menus, one lunch menu, and one breakfast menu on a seven day cruise. The food was fine but we only found one menu choice on each of the dinner menus that was attractive.

Mention the words “suite perks” and you will have a storm of protests. I’m still trying to figure out whether it is envy, jealousy, frustration, or disdain (if I can’t have it, neither can you, it will impact my cruise, are you too good to . . . etc.) :confused:

This kind of baffles me. The same people complaining about "suite perks" seem to have no problem with the fact that the people in front on their plane are getting food and free drinks (at least I've never seen ranting on the airline boards). They also seem to not care that the "Club Floor" just above them in the hotel has a lovely private lounge with food, drinks, and a Concierge.

Anyone can have the perks on a plane, train, ship, restaurant or hotel- just pay the extra cost.

Personally, I think HAL will do something similar or they will see a migration of their high paying, high profit, suites passengers to other cruise lines.

We two suite passengers HAVE left HAL and defected to...Viking Oceans..now don't all of you applaud our riddance so enthusiastically!

It appears that the "suite"hearts want the seperate DR, but don't appear (or have not volunteered) to wish to spend additional money for it. I'd imagine that between $50 and $75 pp per day should cover it.

My objection is to those who wish HAL to carve out space for this DR and force everyone on board to pay for it.

It appears that the "suite"hearts want the seperate DR, but don't appear (or have not volunteered) to wish to spend additional money for it. I'd imagine that between $50 and $75 pp per day should cover it.

My objection is to those who wish HAL to carve out space for this DR and force everyone on board to pay for it.

Do other lines charge the suite people extra? I don't think so. Those that stay in suites generally pay quite a high price. I don't stay in suites and it doesn't bother me one bit if those that do get extra.

And here I thought I was the only one who thought there was a bit of an elitist attitude going on here from some....

Now this thread is quite...entertaining. "Suite hearts" funny. not wanting to mix with the people In "steerage", hilarious. I must confess that I am a suite-a-holic but never imagined that it was so offensive to some people. Oh well I guess I will just have to put up with those Suite People in the Neptune Lounge. Fair Winds and Calm Seas.

IMHO this thread is pretty tame for "elitist attitude" :) I have seen plenty of posts in other threads where a few posters regularly mention "I travel in suites so ....." Read enough of those posts and it starts to grate.

I've also encountered it onboard, albeit infrequently. Certainly not to the degree I see on CC. Seriously, it is a lot easier to ignore on the ship :D

As for a Suite Dining Room, I am of mixed thoughts. If I'm in a suite, okay, yeah :D If I'm not in a suite, well, I'll be envious of the better food offerings.

One concern that I have is how having a separate dining room (presumably with more attentive servers/more staff) would affect the service in other dining areas. A ship can only hold so many crew members. To provide a higher level of service in a Suites Dining Room would require a better steward to passenger ratio than what is in the MDR. So, given the finite # of crew that can be accommodated, where will the increased # of Suite dining stewards come from? The MDR? The Lido? Or will the cabin stewards be reduced again, to accommodate Suite dining stewards?