Suites: Separate Dining Room

JohnDG

You seemed to be implying that if HAL didn't offer a suite dining room, then suite passengers would go elsewhere -- as if there was nothing else differentiating HAL from the other lines (e.g., Celebrity) who offer this.

Why does it have to be an either/or situation? Is there something about offering suites dining that would prevent HAL also providing traditional service, longer cruises, and varied itineraries?

Why does it have to be an either/or situation? Is there something about offering suites dining that would prevent HAL also providing traditional service, longer cruises, and varied itineraries?

Suite passengers aren't coming to HAL for a seperate DR, so adding one does nothing to bring those people back. Suites aren't sailing empty, so adding a private DR is simply a waste of money unless the fares are raised accordingly.

Celebrity offers both a private DR and butler service to its suite guests. We found the butler service to be very underwhelming and feel they'd need to the private DR to HAL's "public" DR.

So there's no incentive for HAL to do this, but I'd be quite happy to see those who feel they need this to decide that another line meets their needs.

Suite passengers aren't coming to HAL for a seperate DR, so adding one does nothing to bring those people back. Suites aren't sailing empty, so adding a private DR is simply a waste of money unless the fares are raised accordingly.

Celebrity offers both a private DR and butler service to its suite guests. We found the butler service to be very underwhelming and feel they'd need to the private DR to HAL's "public" DR.

So there's no incentive for HAL to do this, but I'd be quite happy to see those who feel they need this to decide that another line meets their needs.

I'd rather not speak so definitively for HAL or for other suites passengers. I would not be surprised to learn that HAL is researching this option.

We have been in suites on HAL, NCL and Celebrity.

We were completely underwhelmed by Celebrity. The butler was a waste of time.

We have had good butlers on NCL, but often had poor luck with the concierge.

We like the Neptune Lounge on HAL better than anything they do for suite customers on Celebrity or NCL. Anyone can bring us room service, we don't need a butler for it.

We do like the NCL suite dining room, my husband has some medical issues and sometimes it is nice to be in a smaller environment for meals. But we don't go there exclusively, nor do we have to.

Bottom line, I like the suite perks they have on HAL now just fine.

The "quote" button will not work.

visagrunt,

You comment about trying to have a quiet coffee in the Neptune Lounge, but fellow passengers being rude and shouting at the concierge, is so true.

I have had that experience on several occasions, and have even seen a concierge look frightened when one particular passenger approached the desk.

The problem with carving out space for suite passengers is that as far as I can tell, either the suite passengers always go to their exclusive restaurant or they can choose to go or not. That means they have reserved space in two dining venues simultaneously, possibly three if they choose to go to the speciality restaurant instead.

And if it's not about snobbery, why does it need to be exclusive to the suite passengers? Exclusivity by nature is about not sharing whatever it is.

You don't have to 'carve out space'. The suites passengers are already allocated space in the MDR. You would only be grouping the suites passengers in a distinct location.

Tamarind needs a different galley with equipment not found in the regular galley.

The problem with carving out space for suite passengers is that as far as I can tell, either the suite passengers always go to their exclusive restaurant or they can choose to go or not. That means they have reserved space in two dining venues simultaneously, possibly three if they choose to go to the speciality restaurant instead.

Why would a significant number of suites choose to dine in the MDR if there is a superior experience available elsewhere? If they do choose the MDR, it could be on a space available basis.

And if it's not about snobbery, why does it need to be exclusive to the suite passengers? Exclusivity by nature is about not sharing whatever it is.

Because it would be an incentive to pay extra for a suite.

You comment about trying to have a quiet coffee in the Neptune Lounge, but fellow passengers being rude and shouting at the concierge, is so true.

I have had that experience on several occasions, and have even seen a concierge look frightened when one particular passenger approached the desk.

I count myself among those who cringe when I see this happen whether it is directed at a Concierge, dining steward, room steward, or deck hand. In my experience this boorish behavior is not limited to NS passengers.

Dennis

Suite passengers already enjoy additional amenities beyond those of non-suite passengers. It is NOT exclusivity by nature; it is exclusivity by CONTRACT. By that I mean HAL has offered for sale a stateroom, which carries with it certain stated amenities; and a passenger has agreed to purchase that product at an agreed price. Any person may choose to purchase that product.

There is nothing nefarious for someone who is willing to pay more to get more. I am willing to accept that some suite guests do not consider a private suite dining room to be getting more. But to challenge that some would like such an amenity as some sort of class warfare is ridiculous.

As I stated earlier I am not holding my breath waiting for HAL to add a suite dining room. :)

Dennis

Edited by kelleherdl

Apparently so. The odious whiff of superior entitlement too often wafts through this space. Note how many of the suitehearts never miss a chance to offhandedly 'mention' their exalted locations.

Hmmm... I guess I don't really understand this attitude. I don't consider myself a person of "superior entitlement", and I've sailed on HAL in all cabin types from inside cabins to Neptune Suites and I've sailed with friends who were in the Pinnacle Suite many times. When I am in an inside or ocean view cabin, I pay less for that cruise, and thus my expectations for "entitlement" are lower, and that's as it should be! I don't expect to enter the Neptune Lounge or eat breakfast in the Pinnacle. It's a simple "you get what you pay for" and there is nothing wrong with that! Other times I'm splurging a little more and get the Neptune Suite and I am "entitled" therefore to eat in the Pinnacle at breakfast and other perks that I have PAID FOR. I don't get them by virtue of my being "superior", I just get them because that's what I've paid for on that particular cruise! I suppose I'm guilty of "offhandedly mentioning" that I'm in a suite, when I am... but I hope only when that information somehow adds to the conversation and not to "show off". If HAL does institute a Suite-only dining venue, that's fine with me. I don't have strong feelings one way or another, but I certainly would not make fun of those who used it, because believe me, if it costs more for HAL to institute it, those suite guests will be paying for it in their fares. Why must you say you smell the "odious whiff of superior entitlement"? Those who pay more should get more - what's the problem with that? I have two cruises booked at the moment, one in a Neptune Suite on Westerdam and one in an OV on Nieuw Amsterdam. I'm still "me" no matter which cabin I choose for any particular cruise, and yet I am "entitled" to more perks when I sail in the Neptune. I guess I'm repeating myself now so that's enough. :)

I hope not.

Are suite passengers too precious to eat with the hoi polloi? Afraid they might get steerage passenger cooties if they have to share the same dining room?

HAL's ships are smaller than other lines and there is already a lack of public space. And the servers are stretched thin. Taking some of either for the ohh-so-precious suite passengers would be detrimental to the non-suite passengers.

Quite rude! HAL pax in NS have breakfast in PG. Are they getting "cooties"?

Hmmm... I guess I don't really understand this attitude. I don't consider myself a person of "superior entitlement", and I've sailed on HAL in all cabin types from inside cabins to Neptune Suites and I've sailed with friends who were in the Pinnacle Suite many times. When I am in an inside or ocean view cabin, I pay less for that cruise, and thus my expectations for "entitlement" are lower, and that's as it should be! I don't expect to enter the Neptune Lounge or eat breakfast in the Pinnacle. It's a simple "you get what you pay for" and there is nothing wrong with that! Other times I'm splurging a little more and get the Neptune Suite and I am "entitled" therefore to eat in the Pinnacle at breakfast and other perks that I have PAID FOR. I don't get them by virtue of my being "superior", I just get them because that's what I've paid for on that particular cruise! I suppose I'm guilty of "offhandedly mentioning" that I'm in a suite, when I am... but I hope only when that information somehow adds to the conversation and not to "show off". If HAL does institute a Suite-only dining venue, that's fine with me. I don't have strong feelings one way or another, but I certainly would not make fun of those who used it, because believe me, if it costs more for HAL to institute it, those suite guests will be paying for it in their fares. Why must you say you smell the "odious whiff of superior entitlement"? Those who pay more should get more - what's the problem with that? I have two cruises booked at the moment, one in a Neptune Suite on Westerdam and one in an OV on Nieuw Amsterdam. I'm still "me" no matter which cabin I choose for any particular cruise, and yet I am "entitled" to more perks when I sail in the Neptune. I guess I'm repeating myself now so that's enough. :)

Gimme a "like button!"

I have no problem with people getting more if they've paid more.

Sometimes I'm one of the ones who gets more. Sometimes not. In all my cruises on QE2 and QM2, I never resented that Grills passengers got more amenities, because I know what that accommodation costs. I did make it up to Princess Grill a few times and yes, it was very nice. But those were a few splurges. Mostly we were what people on the Cunard board call "rowers" or "steerage." (These are actually terms of endearment, not slurs.)

As for the snobbery and "cooties" nonsense, maybe it happens on other lines, but I can say that on Cunard differences in accommodation are not flaunted. Grills pax and rowers mingle and nobody asks who's in grills and who isn't. The only snobbery I can recall on Cunard was NOT about accommodations. We were doing a segment of the world cruise on QM2, and I met a woman who was disgusted that the ship wasn't full of people doing the full world cruise. "All these segments, it's like a bus with people getting on and off." She was having lunch in the buffet, so I'd guess she wasn't in the grills.

Amen. I worked my keester off to be able to afford to travel in what ever style I choose. Why does a poster so obviously filled with envy come to a thread like this?

Great post. This is an oddly funny thread.

This was discussed a few months ago and it received similar comments as above. A separate dining room has nothing to do with snobbery.

In recent years I have experienced this only on Cunard. When ships had First Class and Tourist (and sometimes even three classes) there was a separate dining room for each class. As with Cunard's Princess Grill and Queen's Grill, the First Class restaurants provide a single sitting for all meals. That means passengers are assigned the same table for all three meals every day and passengers can come to the restaurant at any time during opening hours. To me this is the best advantage of the separate restaurant and is a truly first class experience.

The menus are enhanced and there are flambée items as well as an à la carte menu in addition to the menu of the day. In Queen's Grill passengers may create their own menu if they don't like what is on the two printed menus. I certainly don't travel "first" all the time and when I travel in basic accommodation it is the single-sitting restaurant that I miss most.

Given what HAL charges for Neptune suites on some cruises they should provide a separate restaurant. On some voyages HAL charges more than Cunard does for a similar suite. I certainly wouldn't pay that. My one experience in a Neptune suite was reasonably priced and I would do it again. But I would not pay a Cunard-level fare (or more) without a single-sitting restaurant. The current perk of the Pinnacle for breakfast is a good start.

You're probably referring to the one I started. It got plenty of comments, pro and con. I was amused by people who got their knickers in a twist referring to the general populace in the main dining room as the "masses" (insecure much?). As stated up thread, the fares for Neptune suites are often steep. Why shouldn't a suite-only dining room exist? Harsh as it may sound, if someone is so unstable that the idea of people paying $400 a day for their room having their own dining room as opposed to the $200 a day paid by someone else paid is going to have that much of a negative impact on their cruise, they shouldn't be loose on the streets. I've cruise in suites and in veranda rooms and when I am in a veranda room, I don't care one bit where the people in the suites are eating. It has no impact on me whatever, save a slight longing to step into the Neptune Lounge for a couple of cookies and a cup of tea.

Edited by scamper

We often travel with family, including my father in law who is a solo traveler. He gets a veranda room and we get a suite. I much prefer the common MDR because we can all eat together. We have a Celebrity cruise coming up and we either have to pay ($40 per dinner, I think) to have him join us in Luminae, X's suite restaurant, or we have to give up dining there. Since we paid a premium for the suite and it includes Luminae, we'll probably suck it up and pay to have him join us. (Assuming that they allow it. We've heard different things.) Either way, it's more of a pain.

This thought is often stated on threads dealing with suite issues. I agree with the statement. Unfortunately, that is not how HAL operates. We all know that when you sail on HAL, you do not get more if you pay more. That's because your amenities are not based on what you pay but are based on a classification system.

Passengers sailing in the same cabin classification system pay very different amounts for the same cruise. Sometimes shockingly so, and those paying shockingly more do not and will not receive more.

As for the issue of suite only dining - it isn't necessary on HAL. I like the direction that HAL is taking with the K'dam and offering more dining options for everyone. HAL doesn't need to be like X or NCL to be better.

This thought is often stated on threads dealing with suite issues. I agree with the statement. Unfortunately, that is not how HAL operates. We all know that when you sail on HAL, you do not get more if you pay more. That's because your amenities are not based on what you pay but are based on a classification system.

Passengers sailing in the same cabin classification system pay very different amounts for the same cruise. Sometimes shockingly so, and those paying shockingly more do not and will not receive more.

As for the issue of suite only dining - it isn't necessary on HAL. I like the direction that HAL is taking with the K'dam and offering more dining options for everyone. HAL doesn't need to be like X or NCL to be better.

Some who fly first class pay less than some who fly coach. I get an approximate 10-12% discount on my fare because of the TA I use. I get stockholders benefits. Do some pay more or less than what I do for my room? So what?

Suite passengers ARE getting more. They are getting accommodations that are nothing like a regular verandah cabin, and with roughly twice the space (comparing general categories here). In addition, they are getting a series of other perks as well, including the Neptune Lounge.

Where is this idea coming from that suite passengers are paying more and NOT getting more? :confused:

Edited by cruisemom42

Apparently so. The odious whiff of superior entitlement too often wafts through this space. Note how many of the suitehearts never miss a chance to offhandedly 'mention' their exalted locations.

And here I thought I was the only one who thought there was a bit of an elitist attitude going on here from some....