Does anybody ever bring a gift for their room steward?

tdavis0990

Bet if you offer them a $5 gift or an extra $5 cash they take the cash.

But actually the best gift you can give them, yes even better than cash, is a positive review or even a note to the head of the hotel.

I always give extra cash.

On my last cruise, I purchased a large bag of candy (Snickers, Twix, etc) to give out during the cabin crawl (and, okay, for little snacks throughout the week!). I left whatever was left for my cabin steward. Figured, if he didn't want/like, that somebody in the crew would appreciate.

Bet if you offer them a $5 gift or an extra $5 cash they take the cash.

But actually the best gift you can give them, yes even better than cash, is a positive review or even a note to the head of the hotel.

Better to give both cash and the positive review.:)

We give extra cash. On the last cruise we did not drink our carry on wine. We gave one to our cabin attendant and the other to our MDR waitress in addition to the extra cash gratuity.

I normally bring them some cleaning supplies wrapped like a gift. They enjoy unwrapping the supplies and normally give us extra special cleaning! Have a nice cruise!

The OP clearly stated that they tip - but was asking about something additional - to the $$$.

I don't know for sure, but I have heard that disposable "treats" - like, candy and cookies etc. are truly appreciated.

I remember back in the 1970s when traveling to the USSR - people took blue jeans (old ones we wouldn't wear) and bubble gum and they were greatly accepted. Also the "free gift with purchase" samples of cosmetics. There has to be a more updated version of this, I would think.

To OP - very nice of you to be so thoughtful and considerate!!!! Enjoy all of your future cruises!

I normally bring them some cleaning supplies wrapped like a gift. They enjoy unwrapping the supplies and normally give us extra special cleaning! Have a nice cruise!

Why didn't I think of that!!! I may have to steal your idea, thanks so much!

###

How much extra would you tip for a balcony, 7 night . We are 2 people . We have pre paid gratuities. Sorry , first time cruisers here and kinda clueless. [emoji28]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

How much extra would you tip for a balcony, 7 night . We are 2 people . We have pre paid gratuities. Sorry , first time cruisers here and kinda clueless. [emoji28]

Totally up to you, whatever you feel comfortable with.

We have on occasion given gifts (in addition to gratuities) to our stateroom attendant. On one cruise, our attendant mentioned that his favorite candy was PayDays (we were talking about candy for some reason...to long ago for me to remember why). Anyway, at our next port we bought him 8 PayDays and left him one each evening along with a note of thanks for taking such good care of us. On the last night of the cruise, he gave us a big hug and said his dentist would like to thank us too! Lol. I do realize that money would be appreciated even more so we do make sure to give extra when we get a good cabin steward.

Normally I do B2B or longer cruises so I give the room steward the 4 bottles of water & cookies that are waiting in the room, leaving them a note saying it's not necessary for them to make me any towel animals.

When the fruit & cheese basket is delivered during the week they get that also. On turnaround day I tell him/her to take the day off from cleaning my room.

On the next to last day when I'm leaving the ship I give them a bottle of champagne.

They get prepaid gratuities so I never give them money

Normally I do B2B or longer cruises so I give the room steward the 4 bottles of water & cookies that are waiting in the room, leaving them a note saying it's not necessary for them to make me any towel animals.

When the fruit & cheese basket is delivered during the week they get that also. On turnaround day I tell him/her to take the day off from cleaning my room.

On the next to last day when I'm leaving the ship I give them a bottle of champagne.

They get prepaid gratuities so I never give them money

Our last cruise was a long one, and at one Port there were about 800 departing and being replaced, I tried to tell our Steward to skip our cabin that day, after about 15 minutes I gave up, he was certain I was complaining about something.

A small language barrier.

I'm a bit slow tonight, are you being sarcastic?

I saw it suggested on another post to bring a small gift for your room steward. I thought it was a nice idea, I mean who doesn't like gifts?

Replies to that post were surprisingly negative, "They want your money, not a gift" "WHY would you bring a gift??" etc. :confused::(

Anyway, does anybody ever do this? If so what do you give??

Just so its clear, I would NEVER tip less because I gave a gift, in fact I usually tip more than recommended.

No we would never bring some trinket. They don't have room for it. My 'personal touch' is a hand made thank you card with their extra cash (if warranted). They do not need nor want candy or Knick knacks or any other space hog.

The OP clearly stated that they tip - but was asking about something additional - to the $$$.

I don't know for sure, but I have heard that disposable "treats" - like, candy and cookies etc. are truly appreciated.

I remember back in the 1970s when traveling to the USSR - people took blue jeans (old ones we wouldn't wear) and bubble gum and they were greatly accepted. Also the "free gift with purchase" samples of cosmetics. There has to be a more updated version of this, I would think.

To OP - very nice of you to be so thoughtful and considerate!!!! Enjoy all of your future cruises!

Thank you! If I knew how to delete this thread I would lol. [emoji45]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I'm a bit slow tonight, are you being sarcastic?

I certainly hope so. I think giving cleaning supplies as a gift to a room steward is both tacky and insulting. It's like saying in advance, "hey I'm sure you suck at your job so maybe this will help."

I have never given a "gift" to the housekeeper in a hotel...and I wouldn't think of giving a "gift" to the cabin attendant! I do tip both, as that's what you're supposed to do.

I don't know about you guys, but I go to my job and work for MONEY...not trinkets and doodads!

Sarcasm.:D:D:D

Lol I call it wit! I love my DH but he takes everything literally. Sarcasm goes over his head!

There are very few "general" gifts.,

When you decide let us know. I am a gift giver.

Wine always works in my circle but that is not appropriate here!

Maybe a gift certificate for the ship store.