May 28 Empress first sailing back with RCI live review (many pictures!)

Yeah. Michael Bayley said that on the Harmony last week! ;)

Michael Bayley, very well may have said 'soon' for Cuba itineraries, but 'soon' is a floating target, not a concrete date.

Right now one day or even overnights are not under the regulations allowed for ships to visit Cuba. Even on a one day or two day with an overnight in Havana (for instance) visiting a museum or two or National Park and cathedrals would be fine; add a little local night life to take in; but I also want a beach excursion.....and a beach excursion isn't on the list of allowable things to do.

So there is much work to be done for this to happen, it would seem.

Take into account this as well -- FATHOM only had capacity for 7-800 passengers; Empress has a capacity of 1600. So Royal has to make it something that will be 'vacation like' to fill the ship even if they do 5/5/4 night sailings. Longer cruises always attract different types of cruisers than short ones.....they are marketing Empress as a 'party ship'.....party ship without a beach to go to.....sorry.....JMO again.

It would have to hit Key West 1st then Cuba not the other way around and then offer the required excursions in CUBA probably for Free

Yes, that's what CruiseCal was showing.

(And I don't need anyone to tell that these sailings aren't approved yet...believe me, I know)

I know there are no formal nights but are there on board photographers taking similar type of pictures like they would take during formal night? I would like some nice group shots if possible.

I cannot imagine that Royal Caribbean would eschew a money-making opportunity. ;)

I cannot imagine that Royal Caribbean would eschew a money-making opportunity. ;)

That was my thought as well, but my wife feels otherwise. I told her I would try to get an answer. Pictures are a cash cow for the ship. Can't see why they would not keep the cash cow making milk!

I actually thought that was pretty standard for ships going to Key West, especially if they have been elsewhere before going there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

This is my understanding as well- if you've been to a non-US port prior to KW, then it stands to reason that Immigrations would need to be conducted.

We leave Thursday for the next Empress sailing, but KW is our first port of call after leaving Miami so I am assuming and hoping that since we will have cruised from one US port directly to another US port, with no stops in between that Immigrations inspection in KW will not need to be done

This is my understanding as well- if you've been to a non-US port prior to KW, then it stands to reason that Immigrations would need to be conducted.

We leave Thursday for the next Empress sailing, but KW is our first port of call after leaving Miami so I am assuming and hoping that since we will have cruised from one US port directly to another US port, with no stops in between that Immigrations inspection in KW will not need to be done

That would be my understanding - but I've only done a land-based vacation to Key West (really the only way I'd choose to do Key West, but that's me), so I don't know for sure.

It would have to hit Key West 1st then Cuba not the other way around and then offer the required excursions in CUBA probably for Free

The 'required excursions' will be included in the cruise fare....don't deceive yourself into believing they are FREE.....and there isn't even FREEDOM of choice, in them from what I understand.

Will this simplify the disembarkation process tomorrow, or will it be the same as usual?

It will be the same as usual. We just did this in Enchantment two weeks ago. Key West Immigration just checks your passport and punches your seapass. You still have to do the whole song and dance in Miami when returning.

It doesn't matter, Miami to Key West - still have to go through Immigration. They come on the ship. Get there early, very early if you want to get off the ship sooner.

I'm not sure if they are running it the same as on Enchantment, but we had to go at an assigned time based on muster station. People were turned away for showing up at the wrong time. So there is no choosing the time to go through the KW customs. It was set for us.

It doesn't matter, Miami to Key West - still have to go through Immigration. They come on the ship. Get there early, very early if you want to get off the ship sooner.

Negative. There is no Immigrations check in Key West if the prior port was U.S.

The only reason Empress has to clear Immigrations is because the prior port was foreign.

Edited by Aquahound

No AC is unacceptable, I hope they are compensating you somehow. Do you at least get some kind of fan? Can they move you or is the ship sold out? What type of cabin are you in?

We've had the director of Guest Services by, maintenance by, the whole nine yards and nothing. They haven't offered anything yet. On our last full day now and still no A/C at all. Not to mention the last two nights they have done construction above us and in the middle of the boat at 5 am both mornings waking us up as well. Literally the premium drink package has saved us from insanity.

We've had the director of Guest Services by, maintenance by, the whole nine yards and nothing. They haven't offered anything yet. On our last full day now and still no A/C at all. Not to mention the last two nights they have done construction above us and in the middle of the boat at 5 am both mornings waking us up as well. Literally the premium drink package has saved us from insanity.

You need to go request compensation. Don't wait for them to do anything for you.

If you don't ask, you won't get. And if you don't ask they will think this is fine and treat others the same way.

I'd have been sleeping in the atrium night 1

Gotcha. I'll likely stick with fathom if that is the case. I want to see a bit more of Cuba than *just* Havana.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

IF it is an overnight stop, you'll be able to see more than *just* Havana without a problem. Santiago might be difficult, as it's 550 miles or so away, but almost anywhere else should be pretty easy.

Recent review found on Facebook:

I'm on it right now it's awful the excursion sucked and where a waste of money in grand Cayman, they have ran out of food multiple times, toilets aren't flushing sinks aren't draining if u have insurance use it [emoji35]we are all filling complains everyday at first services and when we get off with corporate the only saving grace is the staff and how friendly and hard working they are and those poor people have been sleeping in temperatures of over a hundred degrees due to no air it in humane

***not written by me

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by ctsharpie05

I just read on someone's instagram post that the only option for breakfast and lunch is Windjammer! Is that true? They don't serve breakfast or lunch in the MDR? What a bummer if that is true...we always avoid the buffet. Have the dinner options been pretty good in the main dining room?

I just read on someone's instagram post that the only option for breakfast and lunch is Windjammer! Is that true? They don't serve breakfast or lunch in the MDR? What a bummer if that is true...we always avoid the buffet. Have the dinner options been pretty good in the main dining room?

I rarely use the MDR. However, it has breakfast.

09a9c5e60bd794ac9ca55e27ebd48337.jpg

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk