Count me as passing on the new mega liners.

scamper

Do you know who is going to be the Captain of the Prinsendam August 23rd to October 20th. I know that Captain Roberts is one of the Captains. And when we were on the Prinsendam, Staff Captain Jereon Schuchmann was temporarily promoted. With the transfer of the Statendam and Ryndam, that left two Captains without a job.

Thanks

Yes Ma'am; HAL brought over a Norwegian captain from Seabourn (and prior to that, Seven Seas) who is now PRDM's second captain (along with Capt. Tim Roberts). His name is Capt. Dag Dvergastein. Bottom line; PRDM once again has a Norwegian captain after Capt. Halle Thon Gundersen ;)

Ah, but a lot of new ones are building and planned! Viking, Seabourn, Crystal, Saga. Good choices.

I'm not up on my new builds knowledge, but are any of the smaller ships being constructed for more of the mainstream lines? These are all great lines, but they are also a bit outside the budgets of those that can't fork over $300-$500+ per person per diems. I enjoy Seabourn and Crystal myself, but a lot of people who love to cruise can't accept the fares. I know you can find deals and steals out there, but that may take some research that some people may not be willing to do.

Another argument for finding a good travel agent.

Any idea when Captain Spekman worked at HAL? Name doesn't ring a bell. "Spekman" btw, a real authentic Dutch name! "Spek" is Bacon so Captain Baconman! ;)

Here you go... Captain Kees Spekman from the Saga Blog:

Captain Spekman trained as a Navigator with the Nautical Academy in Scheveningen before starting his career with Holland America as a Deck Cadet on a cargo ship.

He joined his first passenger ship the MS Prinsendam in 1975, and, having worked his way up through the ranks, took his first command as Master in May 1991.

After almost 25 years a new challenge beckoned in 1996 with Sun Cruises. Later, Saga approached him in 2004 to be part of the team to prepare the newly acquired Spirit of Adventure, and he has since commanded Saga Ruby, Quest for Adventure (now known as Saga Pearl II) and also Saga Sapphire.

Kees was on the N Ships and some of the S Class also.

There are people who just love those mega ships...and that's good, because it means more room for me on the smaller ships.

My husband and I cruise because we really WANT to know and feel we are on a ship and not a floating resort. I'm a sucker for the old school touches: teak decks to take walks in the morning and evening, traditional dining at a set time with the same servers who feel almost like family at the end of the trip, finding a deck chair with a view of the sea, not the pool, along with a good book and a few cold beverages and NOT buying an internet package because when we wave goodbye to the shores at embarkation, we disconnect from the world.

So yes, give me one of those ships without all the bells and whistles every time.

There happens to be an indirect reason for preferring smaller ships to the mega-malls-of-the-seas: not only have I little interest for all the bells and whistles, I have come to realize that I am likely to have more in common with my shipmates who happen to feel the same way.

The experience is different because you are on ship whose character appeals to you and you are among people who are more inclined to have similar interests.

I'm not up on my new builds knowledge, but are any of the smaller ships being constructed for more of the mainstream lines? These are all great lines, but they are also a bit outside the budgets of those that can't fork over $300-$500+ per person per diems. I enjoy Seabourn and Crystal myself, but a lot of people who love to cruise can't accept the fares. I know you can find deals and steals out there, but that may take some research that some people may not be willing to do.

I don't think any of mainstream mass market lines are planning to build smaller ships. For that matter most of the smaller luxury lines are pushing their new builds to larger 500+ passenger ships and slowly getting rid or repurposing their smaller 300 +/- ships. Seabourn actually did a substantial unloading here a couple of years ago by cutting their fleet in half by getting rid of the three "little sisters" which I think were around 300 passenger ships.

We've pretty much given up the mass market lines and yes there has been a cost involved. It's a mixed bag as we've also gone away from Caribbean and Alaskan cruises choosing more distant destinations like Europe and Asia and those are just more expensive cruises and vacations. Thanks to market pressures we've actually done well and, for example, 14 days on a luxury line for less than 12 days on a HAL cruise. I'm not going to say that's always the case but it can be done. The end result for us is that we probably cruise less often but are no longer willing to compromise on what we now perceive as a lower quality product and experience.

Edited by Randyk47

A bit of Saga Cruising.....

Talk about life in the fast shipping lane! On a Saga cruise I discovered that 60 really is the new 40, and not for nothing do aficionados joke that SAGA stands for Sex-And-Games-for-the-Aged. What larks!

On my 21-day Holy Land Odyssey, time whizzed by in a whirl of tango teas, rock 'n' roll nights, ping-pong, shuffleboard, line-dancing, aerobics, raunchy show times, box- office movies and amazingly intrepid excursions.

All aboard! The Saga Ruby in port...

On a typical sea day aboard the luxurious Saga Ruby (525 passengers, 330 friendly staff and superb cabins), I learnt to cha-cha, won a quiz, played darts, attended two archaeology lectures, enjoyed a live classical concert and downed three champagne cocktails at a singles' party.

In fact, with Saga's heady mix of drinks receptions, ballroom sessions and smoochie piano melodies, it wasn't many days before some singles had become doubles and were sunsetgazing from the promenade deck.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-1210662/Telling-tales-

Saga are their own travel agent. That is what they do. In additionally then own one hotel, publish the largest magazine in the UK.

Standard Cabins... just picked a random cruise... per diem runs at about $220. Included insurance, travel within UK by chauffeur service from home or say your hotel to the ship. Even if you live in Aberdeen the cost of getting you to Southampton is included. The price includes taxes etc. Wines included at lunch and dinner. Drinks on board are CHEAP. Tips included. No service added at bars. Excellent food. Tours... at least 30% cheaper than other cruise lines.

OK, the age limit is 50 but that does not mean an older crowd. More like 'HAL without children'!

The mass market lines, if they are locked into a price war, cannot afford to use smaller ships. Because there are fewer passengers, the 'fixed costs' of operating the ship are divided among far fewer people. It is impossible to offer the kind of low fares one finds on larger mass market vessels and make a profit.

This is one reason -- among many -- that ship fares haven't increased much over the years. They keep shoehorning more people onto one vessel.

I, for one, would be willing to cruise less often, or in a lower category cabin, on a smaller ship than pay the same amount and cruise more days on a larger one.

As someone else already pointed out, these smaller ships often include other things that make the per diem difference less, when you compare apples to apples.

Edited by cruisemom42

THIS...

That's a usual misnomer about the big ships. At sea, Oasis and Allure were 2 of the least crowded ships I've sailed. Finding a deck chair was easier than my last Caribbean HAL cruise on Oosterdam.

DW and I found the Breakaway to be very spacious and relaxing...to the point that we booked 2 more cruises on her. We also have an upcoming cruise on Getaway.

Different strokes for different folks. :)

We have had 7 wonderful cruises on HAL ships and 3 fabulous cruises aboard the Oasis and the Allure. We loved ALL our cruises. On the "mega" ships, the ship is the destination for us. There is so much to see and do and we have never felt crowded since the ships are divided into different neighborhoods. I have had no trouble finding a quiet place to sit and watch the sea, read a book, or nap on the Oasis or Allure. Service was just as good on Royal as on HAL. Yes, there is more walking on those ships than a HAL ship, but there are also more elevators to get you where you wish to be.

For me, the main advantage to HAL is the wrap around teak deck. I do love strolling along that deck. We cruise HAL for the ports especially in Europe, but will always take Royal's mega ships to the Caribbean. I didn't even get off the ship on one of our recent Caribbean cruises on Royal. BTDT in the Caribbean and didn't need to get off at those ports again. Looking forward to our Alaskan cruise with HAL and the Caribbean on Royal.

Just got back from the Caribbean on Oasis and I agree completely. Have been on only 4 cruises but none of them have been bad in any way. The Oasis was huge and felt every bit of it but that was ok since that meant lots of options. So far our cruises have been like ice cream - so many flavors but they're all good.

I did miss the wrap around deck on the Oasis. I did a bunch of walking on deck 5 but it had all of those life boats to spoil the view. Would have loved to have an open view of the sea.

Because I travel solo, I enjoy ships with fewer passengers onboard. You actually have a chance of meeting someone once and then running into them numerous times onboard. (On some larger ships I've been on, that just doesn't happen.)

On Oasis I was surprised how many times we ran into the same people. I assumed it would never/rarely happen on a ship that big.

Ah, but a lot of new ones are building and planned! Viking, Seabourn, Crystal, Saga. Good choices.

One of my favourites is the little Saga Pearl II. Just 449 passengers roughly half the size as Prinsendam. Not all the whistles and bells but the food is excellent and the library is about as the one on the Queen Mary 2! MDR in one sitting. Lido seating. One inside pool and one on after deck. 3 bars. One shop! September 18 days to the Western Med. Can't wait. Also make it better because Captain Spekman will be on board. He is came over from Holland America. When he is off on leave... another HAL captain will be there.

The little Pearl II is not new. Built 1982. Completely refitted in 2010.

The cabin shown is a single and has the largest balcony on the ship! Not many of them are balconies. That is the only thing that is missing, but I never hearing anyone complain about that. The bath, rain shower etc cannot be better!

I think these Saga Ships would fit very well into the Hal Fleet, captain

I think these Saga Ships would fit very well into the Hal Fleet, captain

Not really. Very different type of ships and very type of passengers. Match the ships with Prinsendam and yes, that would be fine, but not with any bigger.

Saga has ordered the first of two new 'mid size ' ships. Roughly the same size as Amsterdam, but maximum of 999 passengers and all in one sitting.

I would love to be able to afford the really small expedition ships. But they are so expensive. We did go to the Galapagos last year, just loved it but it was about $US7000 for the four nights. Too much for us to do on longer trips.

Expect to see more "mega" ships, per person, they are less expensive and more profitable to operate.

I'm only considering HAL because of Koningsdam...the multiple restaurants, multiple "clubs", and the three pools! Just wish HAL would align their smoking policy with the rest of the cruise industry.

We're 4-star Mariners and have been loyal to HAL for years.

We always said we'd never sail on a mega-liner.

But we planned a family cruise for last January, and the kids wanted to go on a ship that had more things to entertain their kids.

Because we had sailed on Norwegian Escape on the inaugural, we knew it would be a good fit.

It was fantastic. So much to see, so much to do. The food was fantastic, the entertainment outstanding. Service was excellent.

The only times it felt crowded were embarkation and debarkation - which has been our experience with HAL too.

As far as distances from point A to point B - I thought everything would be a trek when looking at the ship. Well, it never felt that way!

We had an aft cabin, so it should have felt like a long distance to everything. Nope. Never did.

Escape had so much right in the atrium section - it's the heart of the ship and so many bars, restaurants and venues were there. So it's not a long walk, because we never found ourselves going from aft all the way forward.

Friends of ours, also HAL fans, decided to join us. They said they'd never had so much fun on a cruise.

All of us are booked for next winter.

I don't do ropes courses or water slides - Escape has both - but the presence of those did not affect my enjoyment of the ship in any way.

People were friendly and helpful (DH is in a wheelchair) and courteous - more so than on any HAL cruise we've taken.

We will still sail HAL I'm sure, but I am now open to other experiences with other lines.

This is an interesting topic. We have cruised on 14 lines (more then 60 different vessels) and our favorite HAL ship is the Prinsendam (we have sailed on her for 200 days). But we have also been on our share of very large ships up to about 166,000 tons...but have not tried the Oasis Class.

While we love small ships (we have cruised on a 20 passenger boat) there is a lot to say about the large ships. We do enjoy the expanded entertainment options, larger selection of bars/cafes, etc. When RCI launched the Oasis, DW said "no way do I want to go on that ship." And because those monsters only do short cruises we have never tried one...although given the right circumstances we would give it a shot. Several HAL cruiser friends have all told us that they really enjoyed the Oasis/Allure vessels. Just think, a ship that actually has some night life after 9pm!

On the other hand, when it comes to HAL cruisers the reality is that many could not easily do those large ships because they simply do not want to walk that far (from one end to the other) :).

Hank

We've sailed Eurodam twice, Oasis and Allure each once. Loved all these cruises!

When traveling with young(ish) family, I must say the mega ship option is great. So much to do. On Allure and Oasis, loved walking the very long promenade deck. Never felt particularly crowded, maybe except for embarkation/disembarkation.

We also love HAL when it's just us two 60 somethings.

I like Royal Caribbean a lot, but I prefer its smaller Radiance and Vision-class ships. However, I was booked on a group cruise on Oasis of the Seas for this December. I was this close to buying my airfare for that cruise - when I learned about another group cruise on the Eurodam in March 2017. I cancelled the former and booked the latter. The Eurodam will be my 4th HAL cruise, and my largest HAL ship.