Count me as passing on the new mega liners.

scamper

To me, EVERYTHING is about the itinerary and the ports, so I am with the poster who brought up the fact that only the smaller ships can get into many of the more "exotic" or downtown ports. So, by default we shy away from the "monsters".....

PS: After 4 HAL cruises, we just booked a Star Clipper Caribbean cruise. 5 out of the 6 ports are NOT accessible to large cruise ships. After 15 or so Caribbean cruises THAT appeals to me!

Have no wish to sail on the huge ships.

We were on board Statendam the day that the Oasis of the Seas first arrived into Fort Lauderdale, that sight was enough for us.

Looking forward to sailing on Maasdam later this year.

My wife and I actually "jumped ship" over to Norwegian after our experience on Breakaway, and the FABULOUS Haven Complex. We have sailed on the S-Class, up to the Breakaway, and prefer the larger vessels. FWIW, DW and I are 3 star with HAL, and platinum with NCL, so not newbie cruisers ;). Most cruisers new and seasoned prefer larger ships.

I too must have missed this poll. Just the thought of hitting a port with 5300 of my closest friends is enough to make me quit cruising. I don't want to go to Disney World or Universal when they're jammed either. I can't imagine how early the pool-lounger trolls would have to get up to put a towel or book on their chosen seats before going back to bed.

Edited by blizzardboy

Prefect for me is <1000.

But so few of them left.

I am heartened, though, by the three new Viking Ocean ships under 1,000 passengers, and also the fact that Oceania was willing to buy and update a third small R-class ship (just under 700 passengers) from Princess for its fleet.

Those of us who love the smaller ships still have choices. We just have to be willing to look outside the mass market cruise industry which clearly has decided bigger is better (or at least more profitable).

I too must have missed this poll. Just the thought of hitting a port with 5300 of my closest friends is enough to make me quit cruising. I don't want to go to Disney World or Universal when they're jammed either. I can't imagine how early the pool-lounger trolls would have to get up to put a towel or book on their chosen seats before going back to bed.

That's a usual misnomer about the big ships. At sea, Oasis and Allure were 2 of the least crowded ships I've sailed. Finding a deck chair was easier than my last Caribbean HAL cruise on Oosterdam.

We also cruise for the itineraries. The idea is to see parts of the world we've not been to. The large mega ships, the ships are the destinations not the ports. You may as well leave port and sail around in circles for a week and then return. We've been on one large mega ship ever again. Nothing but crowds, long line ups. I can see as the younger crowd going on short week long cruises want to have all the bells & whistles that they have to offer. To each his own.

Allan

Viking Crown Lounge? The sea views up there are phenomenal.

Since this is a discussion of Mega Ships, the VCL on Oasis/Allure/Harmony has been converted to a lounge and dining area with suites only access. The rest of that deck is Crown Loft Suites.

Our one test cruise on the Disney Dream with about 3,000 others was enough for us! Nice ship, but waaaay too many people.

.......with largest largest population of overly sugar upped excitable children! Not for me!!!! :eek:

We have found the crowds on the newer 2500-3000 passenger ships can actually be less than some of the older, smaller ships. Especially so in the Lidos.

Why? Because they are better designed for traffic flow, have more elevators in more places, and all of those elevators tend to be in service. They tend to be more open with less dead ends that cause traffic to backup.

Nothing worse than only two banks of elevators on a smaller ship, with several malfunctioning, letting out directly in front of the MDR or show lounge.

Cruised twice on ms Rotterdam, and thought that Koningsdam is too big for me. Today back from a cruise on Koningsdam, just to try the new ship, and found that I prefer now Koningsdam over ms Rotterdam. It never felt crowded and have so many attractive areas.

Since this is a discussion of Mega Ships, the VCL on Oasis/Allure/Harmony has been converted to a lounge and dining area with suites only access. The rest of that deck is Crown Loft Suites.

Another example of dividing passengers into first & second class passengers.

Allan

That's a usual misnomer about the big ships. At sea, Oasis and Allure were 2 of the least crowded ships I've sailed. Finding a deck chair was easier than my last Caribbean HAL cruise on Oosterdam.

Very true. There's always a ton of chairs available outside the Solarium on the port side. That's my favorite quiet spot. :)

I'm a HAL enthusiast, but I also enjoy Royal's Oasis class. I think one can appreciate what both lines offer. Besides, there's never a bad cruise!

Prefect for me is <1000.

But so few of them left.

Ah, but a lot of new ones are building and planned! Viking, Seabourn, Crystal, Saga. Good choices.

One of my favourites is the little Saga Pearl II. Just 449 passengers roughly half the size as Prinsendam. Not all the whistles and bells but the food is excellent and the library is about as the one on the Queen Mary 2! MDR in one sitting. Lido seating. One inside pool and one on after deck. 3 bars. One shop! September 18 days to the Western Med. Can't wait. Also make it better because Captain Spekman will be on board. He is came over from Holland America. When he is off on leave... another HAL captain will be there.

The little Pearl II is not new. Built 1982. Completely refitted in 2010. The cabin shown is a single and has the largest balcony on the ship! Not many of them are balconies. That is the only thing that is missing, but I never hearing anyone complain about that. The bath, rain shower etc cannot be better!

1423627732_SAGAPEARLTITANICCRUISE091.jpg.4cd7cbbad31311f118f409c6730bf34f.jpg

274901891_SAGAPEARLTITANICCRUISE023.jpg.0a020111a15e4401083fd34040adacc2.jpg

1133743478_SAGAPEARLTITANICCRUISE104.jpg.d7d0c724949e6aa277905d81b5251a96.jpg

1039785985_SAGAPEARLTITANICCRUISE070.jpg.47c50ca6cbcf37c9c421e5d3133c5ffe.jpg

1588869231_saga-pearl.jpghih.jpg.f9e0ddad43b299daa0ebb6c4f522c704.jpg

....................... Also make it better because Captain Spekman will be on board. He is came over from Holland America. When he is off on leave... another HAL captain will be there.

Are we talking Captain Nick Sunderland, Captain? :)

Are we talking Captain Nick Sunderland, Captain? :)

We are! Two captains, Captain Rentell is retiring next year. Possibly Captain Spekman not much later so.... I have a feeling that Captain Sunderland will be master of the Saga Newbuild, due 2019... and second ship in 2021. Definitely a good move for him!

Ah, but a lot of new ones are building and planned! Viking, Seabourn, Crystal, Saga. Good choices.

One of my favourites is the little Saga Pearl II. Just 449 passengers roughly half the size as Prinsendam. Not all the whistles and bells but the food is excellent and the library is about as the one on the Queen Mary 2! MDR in one sitting. Lido seating. One inside pool and one on after deck. 3 bars. One shop! September 18 days to the Western Med. Can't wait. Also make it better because Captain Spekman will be on board. He is came over from Holland America. When he is off on leave... another HAL captain will be there.

The little Pearl II is not new. Built 1982. Completely refitted in 2010. The cabin shown is a single and has the largest balcony on the ship! Not many of them are balconies. That is the only thing that is missing, but I never hearing anyone complain about that. The bath, rain shower etc cannot be better!

And not one of which sail Australia with any regularity :eek::mad:

We are! Two captains, Captain Rentell is retiring next year. Possibly Captain Spekman not much later so.... I have a feeling that Captain Sunderland will be master of the Saga Newbuild, due 2019... and second ship in 2021. Definitely a good move for him!

Any idea when Captain Spekman worked at HAL? Name doesn't ring a bell. "Spekman" btw, a real authentic Dutch name! "Spek" is Bacon so Captain Baconman! ;)

We (my DW and I) agree with the comments about relative size. Our first HAL cruise was on the old Nieuw Amsterdam (1987 to Alaska). We sailed the maiden voyages of all of the "S" class ships (Statendam, etc.) which, with their 1286 stated capacities, were called "large" ships. We found the size just about right for everything mentioned above.

We took our first Princess cruise in over 15 years last fall, a 4 day "Coastal Cruise" on the Ruby Princess (stated capacity 3000+) and found it way too big. Endless hallways, everything we wanted to do was at the "other end" of the ship.

Sadly the S class ships are moving on (two have already been assigned to P&O Australia) but so long as HAL holds on to the others, we'll be booking them.

We (my DW and I) agree with the comments about relative size. Our first HAL cruise was on the old Nieuw Amsterdam (1987 to Alaska). We sailed the maiden voyages of all of the "S" class ships (Statendam, etc.) which, with their 1286 stated capacities, were called "large" ships. We found the size just about right for everything mentioned above.

We took our first Princess cruise in over 15 years last fall, a 4 day "Coastal Cruise" on the Ruby Princess (stated capacity 3000+) and found it way too big. Endless hallways, everything we wanted to do was at the "other end" of the ship.

Sadly the S class ships are moving on (two have already been assigned to P&O Australia) but so long as HAL holds on to the others, we'll be booking them.

You ought to give PRDM a try!

You ought to give PRDM a try!

Do you know who is going to be the Captain of the Prinsendam August 23rd to October 20th. I know that Captain Roberts is one of the Captains. And when we were on the Prinsendam, Staff Captain Jereon Schuchmann was temporarily promoted. With the transfer of the Statendam and Ryndam, that left two Captains without a job.

Thanks