Formal Night

Bring a suit on formal night  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Bring a suit on formal night

• Yes
    • No

This will be my 5th cruise coming up. I booked a cruise in July on the Explorer of the seas on a Alaska getaway. All 4 previous cruises I've been on I have always brought a suit with me. Now that I am getting a little older approaching 50, I just don't want the hassle of lugging one from south Florida all the way to Seattle just to wear it for dinner twice! What are your thoughts on this issue? Am I alone in thinking about bringing one or not? Maybe I will just wear a shirt and tie

Gary

The dress suggestions are not enforced by the cruise line and many people just wear whatever they want.

Although this is true, I don't think it's right this issue is continually perpetuated by the fact that everyone knows the cruise line won't do anything. I completely understand not wanting to have the extra hassle of lugging the suite around. If you don't want to do that, then eat at one of the other less formal options, like the WJ.

Wear what you are most comfortable wearing as long as you don't show up to the MDR in flips flops and a tank top. A shirt and tie and perfectly acceptable. You have paid a lot of money for your vacation and have every right to wear what you want. Those who claim their experience will be negatively impacted by someone not wearing a suit are simply searching for something to be upset about. Enjoy your cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I just got back from the Allure, and I was surprised to see how people were dressed up on formal night. Were there men in a shirt and tie and no jacket - definitely. Were there many more men wearing a jacket - definitely. There were probably 10% in tuxes even.

There were still men dressed more casually, but reading these boards you would think it was more prevalent then it is.

This will be my 5th cruise coming up. I booked a cruise in July on the Explorer of the seas on a Alaska getaway. All 4 previous cruises I've been on I have always brought a suit with me. Now that I am getting a little older approaching 50, I just don't want the hassle of lugging one from south Florida all the way to Seattle just to wear it for dinner twice! What are your thoughts on this issue? Am I alone in thinking about bringing one or not? Maybe I will just wear a shirt and tie

Gary

We moved from business dress, including suits, some time ago to mostly casual wear and chose to invest in formal wear for cruising. Basic tuxedo for him, long LBD and evening top/formal skirt for me. I don't have any problem with seeing men in shirt/tie/dress pants for the formal nights. Times have changed, including the extra baggage charges and more casual lifestyle everywhere. I do not enjoy sloppy shorts, ball caps, sneakers, and ratty T-shirts on those nights but it won't affect my enjoyment of the cruise. We love to "ogle" the men who dress up and all the \beautiful ladies. It's like putting a beautiful wrapping on a gift and enjoying the visual. Whatever you wear as a wrapping, enjoy your cruises and the memories that you retain!

Although this is true, I don't think it's right this issue is continually perpetuated by the fact that everyone knows the cruise line won't do anything. I completely understand not wanting to have the extra hassle of lugging the suite around. If you don't want to do that, then eat at one of the other less formal options, like the WJ.

Many are paying the same that you are for your cruise and probably many are paying more...no reason for them to be delegated to the WJ if they prefer the dining room service and menu's...enjoy your dinner and let them too. ;)

I just got back from the Allure, and I was surprised to see how people were dressed up on formal night. Were there men in a shirt and tie and no jacket - definitely. Were there many more men wearing a jacket - definitely. There were probably 10% in tuxes even.

There were still men dressed more casually, but reading these boards you would think it was more prevalent then it is.

Thank you for posting this. I totally agree. On our last cruise it seemed most men wore a sport jacket, suit or tux to the MDR on formal night. I did see men out and about on the ship in shorts and t-shirts but they were in the minority.

Why do I have to eat at the WJ without a jacket? You are now making me feel like I am Jack Dawson not being able to eat with you fine folks! 😎

Dh has always rented the tux, saves on valuable luggage space for us and he looks mighty nice.

It seems he is in the minority now wearing the tux, but does not feel out of place.

After dinner and pictures we change into casual clothes and off we go.

Enjoy we do.

I wouldn't want to lug a suite around either..:D:D:D I know, I know...a typo..:)

We are on Explorer this Friday. I'm working on packing now, and I don't think I will be packing hubby's suit. I have dress slacks, dress shirt, and a tie laid out for him, in addition to dockers and multiple polo shirts, all for dinner time. He's a farmer, and a very blue jeans and t-shirt kind of guy; not one for dressing up. It's his vacation too, and I feel he should be able to wear what he's comfortable in. If dragging a suit with you isn't something you're up to doing this time around, by all means don't. I feel that many men look very sharp and put together in a nice pair of slacks and polo.

:)

Thank you for posting this. I totally agree. On our last cruise it seemed most men wore a sport jacket, suit or tux to the MDR on formal night. I did see men out and about on the ship in shorts and t-shirts but they were in the minority.

Same here. Seems the majority on CC speak of very casual dress when in fact on most every cruise, we see the opposite. It seems the majority of men are in a jacket. OK, years ago, the majority of men were in a tux, and that certainly is not the case anymore.

To the OP - A jacket ( or suit ) is not required, and you will be welcomed into the dining room in a shirt and slacks. You may be in the minority, and that may or may not matter to you.

enjoy the cruise

M

PS - to the OP - Approaching 50 = "a little older?" :eek:

enjoy your youth!

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

Gary

TAKE THE JACKET/SUIT: Regardless of whether or not the cruise line will "enforce" their own dress codes, I believe if you want to enjoy formal night in the MDR, then at least dress in a coat and tie. Going in with just a shirt and tie looks lame, like you forgot your jacket or something.

If you're so concerned about packing and being comfortable, then perhaps contemplate another style of vacation or dine at the WJ or other casual places on ship on formal night. Nothing looks more ridiculous to me than seeing men dressed in polos in the MDR on formal night. Go read the definition of formal -- it's not about how comfortable you feel, it's about dressing appropriately and honoring tradition and class.

If wearing a coat and tie is just too much, then by all means belly up to the buffet! Just my 2 cents worth in answer to your poll.

Wow a few snarky comments on this subject. I always take a few pairs of chinos, Oxford button down shirts, a few ties and a blazer. This is how I enjoy dressing. In the past I have had table mates dressed in everything from formal to jeans and polo shirts and was never put off by someone else's sartorial expression.

I just got off Liberty yesterday. This was the first cruise I didn't take a suit but instead wore slacks and a sport coat, no tie on the first formal night. We went to Chops on the first formal night and there was a guy in there in shorts. Obviously not even enforced in the specialty restaurants. I saw people in shorts in the MDR many nights. Enjoy your cruise and don't stress about what to wear.

Nothing looks more ridiculous to me than seeing men dressed in polos in the MDR on formal night.

Nothing?

Go read the definition of formal -- it's not about how comfortable you feel, it's about dressing appropriately and honoring tradition and class.

In that case someone should tell RCI so they can reinstate all the traditional things they have removed.

The language regarding attire from RCI's website is as follows:

Suggested guidelines for these nights are:

Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women

Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women

Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

You can view the entire page at http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/whatToKnow/whatToPack.do

There's a lot of chatter on this thread about MDR staff not enforcing the dress code. The key word here is "SUGGESTED". There is nothing to enforce.

Many are paying the same that you are for your cruise and probably many are paying more...no reason for them to be delegated to the WJ if they prefer the dining room service and menu's...enjoy your dinner and let them too. ;)

Why do I have to eat at the WJ without a jacket? You are now making me feel like I am Jack Dawson not being able to eat with you fine folks! 😎

To clarify, I'm not suggesting separation of classes. However, if they want to enjoy the MDR, then simply follow the dress code. Does it have to be a tux or suit, no. But my original comment was about the fact that saying the cruise lines don't enforce dress code has caused the extreme opposite of formal, T-shirts and shorts ect.

Question, If the OP said he prefers to enjoy the pool naked instead of in a swimsuit, would people still be saying "He paid too, let him enjoy it"???