Last cruise -what upgrade to make it special?

I've a bit of a tragic story. This past week my mother-in-law found out she has motor neuron disease (ALS.) ALS is a non contagious diseases affecting the nerves in the brain and spinal cord that tell your muscles what to do. She still has most mobility but that will not last for long. Stephen Hawkins has ALS but his is a rare early onset. She has an aggressive type and projected to live only another 12 months. There is really no treatment.

We are taking her on a Anthem cruise with us and want to make this a really special time. The cruise was already planned a year ago.

What I am looking for is a way to make this extra special for her as it will be her last. As I have never been on a cruise before I don't know what to ask for, that is what I am looking for the community to help.

Is there some VIP, special fast pass or some other upgrade I should look at purchasing? Perhaps a special tour of the ship I can ask for - meet the caption? She is a light drinker and won't let me buy her a drink package - but I am looking for ideas.

I don't particularly have any helpful hints, but I am sorry to hear your news. I hope the cruise is wonderful and that you make lots of lasting memories. I would advise that you join the roll call for your cruise week, and maybe someone will have something special they can recommend. Look for an Anthem specific thread as well.

I am sure people will be helpful. I just find that asking questions on a roll call or a thread specific to one ship often leads to more direct and knowledgeable answers. I believe there is also a forum for folks with disabilities, which might give you some ideas.

I just want to give you as many places to look as possible.

I'm sorry to hear about your mother-in-law. I have a rare genetic disease that causes me to be in wheelchair and I'm in a handicapped room. I use the spa, it helps my joints and pain. That's why I get a pass for a week. Just a thought [emoji4]

My Dad had ALS and was able to cruise a little after his diagnosis. Make sure you have a cabin close to the elevators and might want to consider and accessible cabin for the grab bars and the seat in the shower. If you don't have an accessible cabin, you can request a shower chair for her safety. You should consider bringing a wheelchair or renting one through the companies the cruise line recommends as there is a lot of walking on the ship and i know my Dad got very tired easily. He did not want my Mom to bring a wheelchair, but in the end, was happy she did.

As far as something special to do, I think the spa idea is a good one. Getting up and enjoying a sunrise together, if she is an early riser, would be something you would always remember. Time together is really the best gift you can give her.

Just make sure you book your shows in advance but be prepared to go with the flow if she tires.

I haven't been on Anthem, however most of the ships do offer an "All Access Tour" of the ship. Usually it contains a tour of the Bridge, Galley, Theater etc. Check the "Cruise Planner" on your reservation from the RCI website to see if it's offered and price.

You can order things to be put in the room when you enter first day and also have it decorated. The is a section called royal gifts on their web sight. Sorry to hear about your troubles however the trip will be special.

I haven't been on Anthem, however most of the ships do offer an "All Access Tour" of the ship. Usually it contains a tour of the Bridge, Galley, Theater etc. Check the "Cruise Planner" on your reservation from the RCI website to see if it's offered and price.

someone diagnosed with ALS would NOT be physically able to do that tour.

maybe a bridge tour but those are not easy to come by if you are not in a suite

If you MIL would like dinner with the Captain, you could try asking...not by email, but write a letter (remember those?:rolleyes:) and give it in to Guest Relations when you get on board. I wrote to the Chief Engineer once asking for a tour of the Engine Room and he phoned me the next day to sort it out. I think in this electronic day and age, the personal touch still has advantages. It never hurts to ask.

Simon

If at all possible book a suite. Will provide varying levels of service depending of what suite class services you qualify for. However Grand Suites and above have access to the Suite Lounge, Coastal Kitchen, Suite Sun Deck, Free Voom wifi, and priority disembarkation which will be very beneficial for your MIL. Wishing you an awesome cruise with wonderful memories.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

What I am looking for is a way to make this extra special for her as it will be her last. As I have never been on a cruise before I don't know what to ask for, that is what I am looking for the community to help.

Since you say you have never cruised before you are not Crown and Anchor members, thus receive no perks. I would highly recommend as others have suggested, book a suite if one is available. I do not mean a junior suite. Book the best suite you can afford and share some great moments with her.

Is there some VIP, special fast pass or some other upgrade I should look at purchasing? Perhaps a special tour of the ship I can ask for - meet the caption? She is a light drinker and won't let me buy her a drink package - but I am looking for ideas.

When we sailed on the Jewel in a suite, we had a Bridge Tour arranged for us.

I found it to be more interesting for the men. I personally loved a tour of the kitchen and found it extremely interesting. That should be easily arranged.

I would recommend you contact RCCL directly and Bob can supply the phone number and see what they recommend. I would go to guest services as soon as boarded and as to speak with Director of Guest Services and explain the situation and see what he/she is willing to do to help.

Best wishes for a fabulous cruise.

Sorry to hear about your mother.

I too would recommend a Star a Class Suite with all the perks if available. I second the comment that, with restricted mobility, the bridge tour is the best option for you as the other tours have lots of stairs/walking involved.

I would recommend going online and viewing what cabins are still available, and then reviewing these cabins on you tube. The reason I say this is because if there are no accessible cabins left the layout of some would be more user friendly than others.

You do not state if you were originally intending on sharing a room, but if it is the three of you having a seperate shower and the space around the third bed is crucial. The reason I mention this is regular GS's look very tight for space with the sofa bed pulled out as they are not open plan like on other ship classes.

I wish you and your family the best.

Anthem is a beautiful ship! As others have stated if you can afford a suite - go for that. But if not, no worries. You can have a lovely time without spending a ton of extra money. Don't bankrupt yourself as your mother-in-law would not want that!

The reason I mention this is regular GS's look very tight for space with the sofa bed pulled out as they are not open plan like on other ship classes.

I wish you and your family the best.

not only that but GS only have the tub.. which is DEEP( I have given myself many bruised shins trying to step in and out). but an Owner's Suite would have a separate shower stall (and tub)

having lost a very dear friend to ALS Mom does NOT want to have to deal with a tub. if a suite is out of the budget then do go for a HA cabin

not only that but GS only have the tub.. which is DEEP( I have given myself many bruised shins trying to step in and out). but an Owner's Suite would have a separate shower stall (and tub)

having lost a very dear friend to ALS Mom does NOT want to have to deal with a tub. if a suite is out of the budget then do go for a HA cabin

Glad you remembered about the tub in GS. Of course we were on the Jewel, not the Anthem. Do they have that god awful deep tub on the Anthem too?

I've a bit of a tragic story. This past week my mother-in-law found out she has motor neuron disease (ALS.) ALS is a non contagious diseases affecting the nerves in the brain and spinal cord that tell your muscles what to do. She still has most mobility but that will not last for long. Stephen Hawkins has ALS but his is a rare early onset. She has an aggressive type and projected to live only another 12 months. There is really no treatment.

We are taking her on a Anthem cruise with us and want to make this a really special time. The cruise was already planned a year ago.

Recommendations:

Book an Owner's Suite. Has separate shower and bathtub in the very large bathroom.

Book one of the four OS that are on Deck 12: 12234, 12238, 12634, 12638 - preferably one of the first two.

You get access to many things, including the services of two Concierges. They can arrange many special things for her and for you.

The Concierge Lounge is on Deck 12 and will be most convenient.

You can rent scooter to be delivered to your cabin. It will be there when you board. There is a lot of walking on a cruise. The scooter will allow her to get around Without being dependent on someone to push wheel chair. I hope you and your family create many memories.

First of all I'm sorry to hear of the diagnosis for both your mother-in-law and entire family. I am more inclined to recommend special activities on the islands. I know physical restrictions will apply, but depending on where ship stops there are many handicapped options for sure excursions. Is she game to do something like a helicopter ride? If that doesn't work, What about a special daily events just for her. I might recommend calling organizations that handle this sort of thing like Make-A-Wish. They may not apply to the situation but I bet they have a lot of great ideas. Blessings.