Back to NCL...what's new?

jlat

So after taking a 2 year hiatus from cruising, we booked the POA for next year. This is a repeat for us from our 2nd ever cruise and probably will be the last family cruise we take as my kids head off to college the following summer. The last time I was on CC (about a year ago) there was a big brouhaha about how downhill the line had gotten. There was a lot of angst about not being able to take food to the room, something about the CEO was being all mean for charging to room service, trays in the hallways and such. So how are things now? I did notice that the suite perks weren't nearly as nice as they were when we booked Bermuda last year. I also read that the POA crew is still pretty mediocre as they were in 2008 and that the food isn't all that (still). So what's the latest scoop on NCL? Trending up...flat...or still spiraling downward?

Edited by jlat

So after taking a 2 year hiatus from cruising, we booked the POA for next year. This is a repeat for us from our 2nd ever cruise and probably will be the last family cruise we take as my kids head off to college the following summer. The last time I was on CC (about a year ago) there was a big brouhaha about how downhill the line had gotten. There was a lot of angst about not being able to take food to the room, something about the CEO was being all mean for charging to room service, trays in the hallways and such. So how are things now? I did notice that the suite perks weren't nearly as nice as they were when we booked Bermuda last year. I also read that the POA crew is still pretty mediocre as they were in 2008 and that the food isn't all that (still). So what's the latest scoop on NCL? Trending up...flat...or still spiraling downward?

I have not noticed any change in suite perks in the past several years. Our service has been amazing - no complaints. We have traveled NCL suites 3 times in the past 2 years and all has been lovely. I find the service much better on NCL than when we first started with them in 2006.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by DrNora

More nickle and dimeing you

We were on the Escape 4 weeks ago. I think since you sailed with NCL, they charge more for daily gratuities ( or whatever they call it ), room service is $ 7.95 ( used to be free ) and as others have said, some of the specialty restaurants are now ala carte. You can see from my signature that we sail often with NCL. I still think you get the most bang for your buck with NCL. Sailed on Carnival last Sept and Royal Caribbean in Jan so have recent experience with other cruise lines.

We have averaged 5 cruises a year and have seen great improvement across the fleet in all areas. Every "nickel and dime" has been well spent in greatly improving our overall cruise experience. From dining room menus to entertainment, NCL continues to make strategic changes to adapt to the contemporary cruiser.

We sailed the POA twice since August 2014, the last time, a March 2016, in a suite. I have not seen or heard of any changes to suite perks. The service on the POA was pretty standard for NCL. The ship was totally refurbished in March and is in great condition.

I thought the big brouhaha was farther back than a year, but time flies. Not sure what happened before your departure, but here are some of the changes in the recent past. NCL quickly reversed the nonsensical take out ban. If dishes in the hall was ever a problem, they figured out how to take care of it, presumably by telling staff to pick them up instead of stepping over them. Coffee and continental breakfast room service is free till 10:00 am. There have been DSC increases x2 in a four month time period. Once for suites, I believe. They added an 18% specialty service charge and gratuity to bills at the specialties and dining packages. This same charge was increased from 15 to 18% on drinks and drink packages, and the price on the UBP has increased probably a couple times. Top drink prices are now @ $15. No one has to buy drink or dining packages much anymore, as they are given away as Promos, "free" with booking. Well, they were "free" initially, and then they eventually decided we had to pay the 18% on the promo package price at booking. Some think the cruise prices are rising to accommodate the cost of these promos. Sans promo, you can buy dining packages for minimum 3 days now rather than 7, but they are no longer unlimited, and some venues have $7 to $15 upcharges when used there. Cagneys, Le Bistro and La Cucina are now a la carte only outside a dining package. The "free" dining packages used to be for 4 visits, now 3. If you are platinum, the free dinner is at Le Bistro or La Cucina only, and is for one item from each menu section. Since the salads and soups and appys are lumped together in one section, you can't have both an appy and a salad. The "free" Margaritaville venue next to H2O on the Escape was introduced with great fanfare, and then a few months later they had second thoughts and made it ala carte. They are taking away the complimentry City Grill on Breakaway, and the Cuban venue on Getaway, Flamingos?, and replacing them with a la carte Margaritavilles. On NCLs private island, my understanding is that there will be no free food, either pay at Margaritaville, or go back to the ship. "New and improved" menus have been rolled out across the fleet in both complimentry and specialties. Ships are undergoing extensive dry docks one by one. I'm sure I missed a few things, but that's pretty much it in a nutshell.

Whether or not these changes have resulted in any improvement in perceived value, or have enhanced your cruise experience in any way, is up to the individual. There is little doubt in my mind that we are paying more in one way or another. I have seen little change in service one way or the other. The food, especially in the specialties, I would have said was excellent before the "new menus". I was disappointed in the meat quality on the POA, so I will not buy another dining package until I determine for myself whether or not that was just a bad week, or is the new reality.

Edited by punkincc

Impressive recap Punlincc . Just a small edit , on CC news they just posted that on Great Stirrup Cay , they will be putting in an a la carte restaurant . There will also be " Abaco Taco, Great Stirrup's new -- and free -- customizable taco bar, located near the entertainment complex. "

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=7056

I am going on my first NCL cruise in 6 weeks . Haven't cruised with them till now partially because of the extra charges . However that is their business model and they ain't changing it for me .:D We got the "free" drink package which cost 200 for the week . That would be OK if it included water and fancy coffee and cans of soda . It doesn't and as I said , they ain't changing it for me .

• Nickelodeon gone
  • Geoffrey Zakarian gone
  • Cake Boss gone
  • 18% gratuity on specialty dining
  • DSC raised twice
  • drink prices raised
  • 18% gratuity on drinks
  • 18% gratuity on food/coffee purchases ( Java Cafe/Carlo's/gelato etc)
  • Asian Noodle restaurant complimentary but reduced menu
  • Hippo Slide at GSC gone
  • Fireworks gone
  • UDP is now SDP
  • UBP used to be for everyone in room, but now it's just first two passengers
  • Room service $7.95 except for a much smaller limited "continental breakfast"
  • Blue Man Group gone
  • Now pay taxes on "free" UBP/SDP
  • No more kids pricing in specialty restaurants
  • Port times shortened on a number of itineraries "for your convenience"
  • No more free Cirque or Illusionarium on first night with dining package
  • Margaritaville on Escape is now a la carte. Used to be included.
  • Cancellation policy got much worse.
  • SDP price increased.
  • Fewer days for SDP on promos.
  • Available wines have gotten worse. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=49635954&postcount=64
  • Certain menu items (like Seafood Extravaganza at Ocean Blue) not covered by SDP upcharge.
  • Bayamo upcharge for SDP increased.
  • Dining packages no longer have fixed $10 price for second entree at Cagney's and Le Bistro. Now charged full a la carte price for entree.
  • Uptown/Flamingo Grill being replace with Margaritaville. Free dining place replace for fee-based one with similar food.
  • AARP discount gone.
  • Haven breakfast and lunch menu items scaled back. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2356561

We were on POA back in 2006 when the crew was not very good to the point I was very hesitant to ever go on that ship again. Fast forward with NCL only having one ship in Hawaii now and our trip in March was great - great crew, we found the food to be very good, overall a nice trip. Most of the reviews I've read have been favorable of the crew.

• Nickelodeon gone
  • Geoffrey Zakarian gone
  • Cake Boss gone
  • 18% gratuity on specialty dining
  • DSC raised twice
  • drink prices raised
  • 18% gratuity on drinks
  • 18% gratuity on food/coffee purchases ( Java Cafe/Carlo's/gelato etc)
  • Asian Noodle restaurant complimentary but reduced menu
  • Hippo Slide at GSC gone
  • Fireworks gone
  • UDP is now SDP
  • UBP used to be for everyone in room, but now it's just first two passengers
  • Room service $7.95 except for a much smaller limited "continental breakfast"
  • Blue Man Group gone
  • Now pay taxes on "free" UBP/SDP
  • No more kids pricing in specialty restaurants
  • Port times shortened on a number of itineraries "for your convenience"
  • No more free Cirque or Illusionarium on first night with dining package
  • Margaritaville on Escape is now a la carte. Used to be included.
  • Cancellation policy got much worse.
  • SDP price increased.
  • Fewer days for SDP on promos.
  • Available wines have gotten worse. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=49635954&postcount=64
  • Certain menu items (like Seafood Extravaganza at Ocean Blue) not covered by SDP upcharge.
  • Bayamo upcharge for SDP increased.
  • Dining packages no longer have fixed $10 price for second entree at Cagney's and Le Bistro. Now charged full a la carte price for entree.
  • Uptown/Flamingo Grill being replace with Margaritaville. Free dining place replace for fee-based one with similar food.
  • AARP discount gone.
  • Haven breakfast and lunch menu items scaled back. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2356561

Impressive list . :( Anything improved or added ?

If that's going to be your signature phrase I'd like to suggest learning how to spell it correctly.
I have no idea why I love your comment . :confused::D

I think the line is improving. Many of the changes people cite involved changing an entertainment show on one ship to another show, or eliminating fireworks that they tested out on three ships. Most of those things in the list won't impact you at all. They were never on the POA.

The changes that are likely to impact you are the increase in DSC and addition of paying 18% gratuities on specialty restaurants (or on the regular price of the package, even if you get the package for "free"). As we always tipped in the specialties, the auto-tip doesn't bother us, as we tipped more than that anyway.

The POA does not have a beverage package due to Hawai'ian law, but drinks now have an 18% gratuity instead of a 15% one as it was before. Room service is $7.95 24/7 for most items, and between 6 and 10 AM they don't charge a delivery fee on coffee and some items you would include in a "continental breakfast".

So the changes you'll notice are the ones that impact your wallet. You'll likely pay more for your cruise on the POA than you would back then. Or not. We still find deals.

My wife just finished a cruise on POA (after drydock) with her sisters and found the crew just as friendly as crew on other NCL ships. It is such a port-intensive cruise you may find yourself paying less attention to the ship and more to the ports. At least I hope so ... Hawai'i is spectacular.

• 3 weeks later...
Sans promo, you can buy dining packages for minimum 3 days now rather than 7, but they are no longer unlimited, and some venues have $7 to $15 upcharges when used there. Cagneys, Le Bistro and La Cucina are now a la carte only outside a dining package. The "free" dining packages used to be for 4 visits, now 3. If you are platinum, the free dinner is at Le Bistro or La Cucina only, and is for one item from each menu section. Since the salads and soups and appys are lumped together in one section, you can't have both an appy and a salad.

Thank you for a thorough review of changes. Maybe you (or someone) can help--without starting a new thread. I last sailed in April, 2015. At that time, each specialty restaurant had a set fee per specialty dining venue. NCL does provide this with a link to a pdf dining sheet. If one buys a Specialty Dining package, does each restaurant (not Churrascaria or Teppanyaki) offer the same as the Platinum perk for Le Bistro: one item per menu section? Further, I assume that the a la carte restaurants no longer have a certain "whole" meal charge so that we can no longer compare price (Le Bistro was $20.etc) of restaurants to SDP package. Correct or not?

TIA.

Edited by Rhea98

Thank you for a thorough review of changes. Maybe you (or someone) can help--without starting a new thread. I last sailed in April, 2015. At that time, each specialty restaurant had a set fee per specialty dining venue. NCL does provide this with a link to a pdf dining sheet. If one buys a Specialty Dining package, does each restaurant (not Churrascaria or Teppanyaki) offer the same as the Platinum perk for Le Bistro: one item per menu section? Further, I assume that the a la carte restaurants no longer have a certain "whole" meal charge so that we can no longer compare price (Le Bistro was $20.etc) of restaurants to SDP package. Correct or not?

TIA.

If you are asking can you order more than one appetizer, side or dessert with the SDP, yes you can. The only limitation is that you can only have one entree, with any additional entree at a charge.

You can compare costs by looking at the menus and pricing what you would like and then comparing them to the SDP charge. I believe that, with the exception of a light eater, the SDP would be more cost effective.

Thank you, NLH Arizona. I think that's what I was asking: limits (like Platinum meal) or no limits. DH wouldn't want an extra entre. Normally, I eat part of his! Since posting, I did find menus from Breakaway, spring, 2016. They didn't have desserts on them (something DH always wants), but everything else was listed. Hmm, for me, it wouldn't be worth it, but for DH, it might. I haven't checked on the specialty service fee (different from 18% grat) so I'm still investigating. On a 13 day cruise, he'd probably like Moderno twice and La Cucina twice.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

If you get the "free" beverage package, how much do they charge you additional for the 18% for a 7 day cruise?

Also, the 18% gratuity on any specialty dining package .... is that payable before the cruise also, or after eating in the restaurant. I remember reading one review recently where the people couldn't get into the specialty restaurants they had with their package, does this mean they paid the gratuity anyway?

If you get the "free" beverage package, how much do they charge you additional for the 18% for a 7 day cruise?

Also, the 18% gratuity on any specialty dining package .... is that payable before the cruise also, or after eating in the restaurant. I remember reading one review recently where the people couldn't get into the specialty restaurants they had with their package, does this mean they paid the gratuity anyway?

I believe it is $99.54 for the seven days.

You pay the 18% gratuity on the SDP prior to your cruise.

Don't know about your third questions.

TIA.

The restriction on the Platinum dining perk applies only to that, not the SDP. If you are considering the purchase of an SDP, you can click on the terms and conditions to see any exceptions. Generally, only a second main entree will have additional charge. On the newer ships, a couple places like the Supper Club, Ocean Blue or Bayamo have additional upcharges even with the SDP of from $7 to $15, charged at the end of the meal. There are a couple other exceptions spelled out in the terms and conditions of the package related to a specific menu item, otherwise it's order as much as you wish. Aside from that, with SDP it doesn't matter if it's an an la carte restaurant or one with a flat cover charge, you pay nothing additional.

Did you get a 3 or 4 night SDP when you booked? If so, you might consider buying an additional 3 night package or more, if you feel it would be utilized. You will pay an 18% gratuity and service fee on the package price, even on the promo ones. No further 18% is added on the ship, unless it's for a second entree charge or drinks.

If you are just sticking with a 3 or 4 night package, just pick the ones you really like. Unless it's an upcharge place, your cost beyond the per night cost of the package will be zero. If you think you'll go to specialties beyond your package nights, it could be cost effective vs buying additional package nights, depending on whether or not you will be big eaters. Figure out your per night cost, price of package plus the 18%, and compare it to the a la carte prices for what you would order at an a la carte, or the cover fee with no package for Moderno and Teppanyaki to figure out where you'd get the best bang for the buck with the package vs your costs in going without packages.

FYI...if you look at the promo Terms and Conditions it tells you the gratuity amounts for the UBP/SDP based on how many days your cruise is.