Celebrity Eclipse -New Production Shows, oh dear.

kevinyork

We are just off the Eclipse, the first time on her since the production shows have changed. We saw the previous ones 4 times.

The new shows are called Topper, Rock, and Chandelier. We saw all three. Each was equally awful. Topper and Chandelier attempted a storyline linking the unconnected songs. The stories were terrible. Such that a child would be bored given their banality. Rock was a straightforward sequence of songs without any connection. All three shows suffered from terrible sound. Like it was muted and subdued such that you would struggle to believe it was live. The male lead in Topper and Chandelier had a screechy voice that had a limited range.

Having recently experienced Royal's entertainment on Anthem, Celebrity have taken a retrograde step with its production shows. Apparently the shows are rehearsed for 3 months in Miami but rehearsal is irrelevant when the storyline and production values are so weak.

The previous shows were way better. Celebrity please treat us like adults and give us something of quality and substance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What happened to Peng Fei the Chinese magician from last year? He was really great. We hope to see him again.

I don't have an answer to why nor do I care. You are entitled to your opinion. Different strokes for different folks. Just posting what we saw on those evenings on our particular Cruise. All I can say is we enjoyed all three production shows (don't care if anyone else did or not) and the few people around us we talked with while waiting to leave the theater expressed that they also liked the shows.

I guess we'll wait till next Jan 22 for our next trip. I've not loved every show, but I can't in good faith say I saw any that were terrible either. Some are just better than others & we all have differences as to what we like. The remark about the "F-bomb" being said being said a few posts back, sorry, but I don't believe any show would really have that allowed. It would get a comedian's contract likely not renewed.

Each was equally awful.

The previous shows were way better. Celebrity please treat us like adults and give us something of quality and substance.

It was the same last Nov on the Equinox, and don't get me started on the whatever it was called in the Atrium.

EW

What happened to Peng Fei the Chinese magician from last year? He was really great. We hope to see him again.

There are many individual "acts" that ply the cruise circuit....getting on off at different stops. There is actually entertainment every night...the big shows only cover a few of those nights and the rest are folks like Peng Fei. While of course they book way in advance, as far as I know there is no way to find out who the non-celebrity entertainers will be on a future cruise.

Peng Fei featured in the Cirque type show on Eclipse the last few years and often did a show of his own featuring his magic. Alas with the changeover to in house production shows such talent has been lost.

It was the same last Nov on the Equinox, and don't get me started on the whatever it was called in the Atrium.

EW

Yup..one night we had a very unoriginal pre recorded sound track.mostly a ripoff of Rocky Horror music.,,..let's do the time warp again!.....dancing and prancing., over costumed and blocked the main staircase for most of the night...

Did not return for the second over hyped atrium monstrosity but heard it was equally awful...

Bet the singers and dancers could make a better show if left to their own creativity!

For our last cruises in the past few years we have just skipped the production shows because of the incredibly unbearable sound levels................and I am hard of hearing!

WHY do the cruise lines think that patrons should have to use earplugs to attend these performances?

With all the comments on the new shows, we (or more likely just me) will go to the shows on our October TA on the Equinox, sit in back and leave if/when appropriate.

Edited by OBX-Cruisers

Yup..one night we had a very unoriginal pre recorded sound track.mostly a ripoff of Rocky Horror music.,,..let's do the time warp again!.....dancing and prancing., over costumed and blocked the main staircase for most of the night...

Did not return for the second over hyped atrium monstrosity but heard it was equally awful...

Bet the singers and dancers could make a better show if left to their own creativity!

It may just be my personal opinion/preference, but I think the Atrium is a TERRIBLE place to have such "entertainment" when that same area is connected to the Library, Card Room, Coffee Lounge, the new Sushi Bar, Martini Bar and Internet Cafe.

To compromise so many passenger enjoyment areas with loud and often unbearable performances is a large negative for Celebrity ships when compared to other cruise lines..............IMHO

Peng Fei featured in the Cirque type show on Eclipse the last few years and often did a show of his own featuring his magic. Alas with the changeover to in house production shows such talent has been lost.

We saw him in Jan.2015 & loved him. My partner's Chinese, so they had quite a talk after the show. A shame that type of talent won't be on our 2017 trip(but we can hope it changes!)

Just had to add my 2 cents worth...We cruised on the Equinox in March with the new shows. We look forward to the entertainment in the evening...until this year. With the one exception of Jayne Curry, the 11 nights of entertainment were abysmal. While we respect the production staff for their hard work, the talent of these young entertainers was marginal. The shows themselves were nonsensical, loud and difficult to both understand and follow. The other shows were not much better. One musical group from Las Vegas was so poor and SO loud, that we had to leave. We were told nearly half the audience walked out before they finished.

As for the standing ovations...compare it to every kid who plays soccer getting a big trophy. It used to be you got a standing ovation or trophy because you excelled. So don't put much merit on the standing ovations you hear about.

Celebrity needs to reassess who their cruisers are and reinvest some $$ in better shows as well as bringing back violinists, piano entertainers, vocalists with talent, some great comedians, ventriloquists...anything but the horrid entertainment they are now offering.

Though we booked our next Celebrity cruise while on board, we have reconsidered and have decided to jump to a RCCL cruise for a change of pace. Taking away our desire to attended the nightly entertainment took away a lot of our evening enjoyment.

We were on the May 10 Eclipse cruise. We did not enjoy Chandalier at all. We did enjoy Rock City and Topper had the best music. I thought the story lines were really silly and distracted from the music. We enjoy Broadway music; and did miss not having any of it. But they need more current music for the younger crowd they are trying to attract.

When we were on Oceania recently, they had also gotten rid of the prior production company and are now using NCL. Oceania's entertainment has always been weak; but it reached a new low. At least Celebrity's new shows are a lot better than O's.

We are just off the Eclipse, the first time on her since the production shows have changed. We saw the previous ones 4 times.

The new shows are called Topper, Rock, and Chandelier. We saw all three. Each was equally awful. Topper and Chandelier attempted a storyline linking the unconnected songs. The stories were terrible. Such that a child would be bored given their banality. Rock was a straightforward sequence of songs without any connection. All three shows suffered from terrible sound. Like it was muted and subdued such that you would struggle to believe it was live. The male lead in Topper and Chandelier had a screechy voice that had a limited range.

Having recently experienced Royal's entertainment on Anthem, Celebrity have taken a retrograde step with its production shows. Apparently the shows are rehearsed for 3 months in Miami but rehearsal is irrelevant when the storyline and production values are so weak.

I didn't think that Spectra Cabaret and the GIFT on Anthem were that great either.

Vocals were good, but felt disconnected between story and songs....

We agree. Consistently mediocre. That's why a beverage package makes the entertainment so much more palatable. ;)

Maybe that is what X is betting on - after 10 drinks who will tell how bad the show is....." give them that old razzle- dazzle and they never catch wise...";)

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from Baltics on Eclipse and I thought the entertainment was dreadful overall. Topper not too bad, bearable anyway, Chandelier dire...Buble impersonator awful, Ukebox were very good, original and talented, comedian (forget his name but on at end of cruise) very old fashioned and not funny. Russian company St Petersburg Stars were excellent (more like that please). Beatles cover band were sweet and enthusiastic but awful singers. Most fun was provided by Dan and other passengers on things like quizzes and game shows. Found the entertainment to be mostly boring or on too late at night. Spent most of our time reading in cabin or watching a movie. I expected great shows every night and was very let down. We have been on cheapy Thomson cruise which had far far superior entertainment so come on Celebrity if they can do why can't you ?:confused:

Just back from Baltics on Eclipse and I thought the entertainment was dreadful overall. Topper not too bad, bearable anyway, Chandelier dire...Buble impersonator awful, Ukebox were very good, original and talented, comedian (forget his name but on at end of cruise) very old fashioned and not funny. Russian company St Petersburg Stars were excellent (more like that please). Beatles cover band were sweet and enthusiastic but awful singers. Most fun was provided by Dan and other passengers on things like quizzes and game shows. Found the entertainment to be mostly boring or on too late at night. Spent most of our time reading in cabin or watching a movie. I expected great shows every night and was very let down. We have been on cheapy Thomson cruise which had far far superior entertainment so come on Celebrity if they can do why can't you ?:confused:

Celebrity don't care if a lot of people don't like it, as long as corporate does.

Right on!

After 30 plus cruises with celebrity with decided to try Princes Cruises to are surprise we had a great time. On the note of entertainment we were blown away with the guilty of shows and acts though out the ship a big plus. Like a lot of you so tired of the loud music and new shows that make no sense at all. Not that we won't sail Celebrity again but we will certainly be looking around.

After 30 plus cruises with celebrity with decided to try Princes Cruises to are surprise we had a great time. On the note of entertainment we were blown away with the guilty of shows and acts though out the ship a big plus. Like a lot of you so tired of the loud music and new shows that make no sense at all. Not that we won't sail Celebrity again but we will certainly be looking around.

You miss interpreted my response to jagoffee. I was agreeing with jagoffe concerning ISABELLA post. I am one of the few that have posted on this thread that like the entertainment that was on our 3 April 2016 Eclipse Cruise. So I'm not part of the so called entertainment haters on this thread. We've never found the music anywhere on our sailing to be too loud.

Edited by davekathy

You miss interpreted my response to jagoffee. I was agreeing with jagoffe concerning ISABELLA post. I am one of the few that have posted on this thread that like the entertainment that was on our 3 April 2016 Eclipse Cruise. So I'm not part of the so called entertainment haters on this thread. We've never found the music anywhere on our sailing to be too loud.

IM sorry didn't really mean to make a statement about your post, was just giving my thoughts Thanks

TIMONEY - for what it's worth, we've also sailed with both lines (Elite on both so fairly familiar with what's offered) and lately we, too, have noticed that Celebrity seems to be cutting back while Princess has added to not only the quantity and variety but quality of their entertainment.

(And I'm one of those who actually like the new Celebrity production shows. It's just the lack of much else that bothers me.)

davekathy - haven't found the music too loud - just "seeing" less and less of it around the ship.

Edited by chamima

TIMONEY - for what it's worth, we've also sailed with both lines (Elite on both so fairly familiar with what's offered) and lately we, too, have noticed that Celebrity seems to be cutting back while Princess has added to not only the quantity and variety but quality of their entertainment.

(And I'm one of those who actually like the new Celebrity production shows. It's just the lack of much else that bothers me.)

davekathy - haven't found the music too loud - just "seeing" less and less of it around the ship.

I agree, more music would be nice.

I've seen 7 of the new production shows (Summit, Silhouette, Reflection) in the past four months. Two were exceptional -- "Broken Strings" and "Pearl." The other five were unremarkable, except for the specialty acts that were entwined in the productions. Over time I would expect significant "tweaking" of many of these shows to respond to audience feedback.

I've seen 7 of the new production shows (Summit, Silhouette, Reflection) in the past four months. Two were exceptional -- "Broken Strings" and "Pearl." The other five were unremarkable, except for the specialty acts that were entwined in the productions. Over time I would expect significant "tweaking" of many of these shows to respond to audience feedback.

I hope you are correct about the "tweaking". We saw 3 of the unremarkable shows on the Eclipse in March, but if these shows are getting standing ovations as was posted earlier on one cruise, I don't know how they would know if there is an issue for many of the guests. Time will tell.

We have been cruising for 25+ years and have mostly enjoyed the production shows, and look forward to them. However, last January we were on the Eclipse and we were very disappointed in the 3 new production shows. Celebrity spent a lot of money on these new shows - new costumes, sets, etc. it was money poorly spent. I noted our negative feelings about the shows in the questionnaire emailed to us after the cruise. I hope that Celebrity management reads this thread on CC and does something about these shows. Celebrity: are you listening?