Celebrity Eclipse -New Production Shows, oh dear.

kevinyork

On eclipse now. Almost all guest shows are musical performers of some sort. It gets very boring day after day. Time for a comedian, magician, juggler, ventriloquist etc

I guess people have different taste. The magician, juggler and ventriloquist IMO are boring and very corny-

I do agree good comedy is essential on a cruise ship and should be offered in combination with other types of performances at least every other day. Perhaps also like RC a broadway show would be great entertainment.

Are the new shows now on all of the S class ships? We will be on Equinox in October and are wondering what to expect.

Thanks to those who have sailed the EQ recently

Different shows but all new and all produced in house. Similar structures, different themes/names.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I guess people have different taste. The magician, juggler and ventriloquist IMO are boring and very corny-

I do agree good comedy is essential on a cruise ship and should be offered in combination with other types of performances at least every other day. Perhaps also like RC a broadway show would be great entertainment.

I do know that British comedian Jeff Stevenson was on Eclipse for a week recently. He went there from Azamara Journey where I saw him. Very funny guy and I've enjoyed his performances three or four times on different cruises. I'm not sure what other guest entertainers Celebrity has at the moment.

Phil

Edited by excitedofharpenden

We are switching back to X this year from RC as too many kids ex uk on RC, and it's just too rammed .

We are travelling with two young children aged 10/6 who were really looking forward to the evening entertainment ... It's a shame the cirque show gas gone as they were particularly looking forward to that one .

Sailing on the 26/8 so let's hope they've sorted out the tweaks

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

They may like the new shows and the staircase area performances...many adults do not...geared to a younger level!

Are the new shows now on all of the S class ships? We will be on Equinox in October and are wondering what to expect.

Thanks to those who have sailed the EQ recently

The ones on EQ in Jan were pretty bad including the shows along the stairway area..,.but everyone has their own tastes,, so you can give them a try,,,we found it all quite disappointing despite some good voices and hardworking cast.,the material was not very good or original

I agree they can be corny but night after night of samey musical acts are tedious too. I agree more comedy and some Broadway tribute acts would help

Edited by iandjm

After about 20 cruises I rarely, if ever, attend the production shows. Too canned, corny, and singers who do not have the voices for the type of songs they are performing. Some of the best entertainment we have seen over the last few cruises include the BB King Blues Band on Holland America (we went to shows all 6 nights they performed) and a Frankie Valli and the 4-Seasons Tribute on Princess. Just provide us great performers and forget the lame stories and costume changes/scenery and we will be happy.

After about 20 cruises I rarely, if ever, attend the production shows. Too canned, corny, and singers who do not have the voices for the type of songs they are performing. Some of the best entertainment we have seen over the last few cruises include the BB King Blues Band on Holland America (we went to shows all 6 nights they performed) and a Frankie Valli and the 4-Seasons Tribute on Princess. Just provide us great performers and forget the lame stories and costume changes/scenery and we will be happy.

Agree

Really aggravates me how often they change the arrangement of popular songs to accommodate (mostly male) singers who just don't have the range to hit the low notes.

Sometime back we had the Platters on board (at least a couple of them were original members) and it was amazing how those 80+ year old guys could still belt it out.

I did sort of a B2B December 2015. First week - the MSC Divina out of Miami. The 2nd week I made it Fort Lauderdale for the Celebrity Constellation. It was an interesting comparison. I was cruising solo - and for that reason MSC did NOT appeal to me at all. (eating solo with people that did not speak English. Not good if you're the only one at the table. Maybe it would have been OK if I was with someone.) There are other minor reasons too. I had a terrible cabin experience. But, their entertainment was fantastic.

Then I was on the Constellation. The onboard experience was a much better fit for me. Although, in comparison with the Divina, the entertainment on the Connie was horrid! (except for Jane Curry) The costumes didn't fit, some did not know their dance routines, and the overall shows were not good. It seemed like it was their first time putting on the shows.

My next Celebrity cruise is not until October 2017. It will be better by then?

After reading the postings of some critics of the acrobatic shows I have come to the conclusion that I really must be a simple minded guy.

To see the athletic ability and strength, agility and flexibility it takes to suspend one's self 30 feet above a stage and audience all while doing so on a moving ship will never be tiring to for me to watch. These people have to have a certain amount of courage to perform these acts.

I'm sorry that a certain select group of guests can no longer appreciate what it takes to do these shows. I would like to see any one of them even think of doing even one aspect of what these performers do.

Plus it doesn't hurt that all of them are quite fit!

I had enough trouble climbing the ropes in gym class, so what these people do really amazes me.

DW and I were on Reflection in March and we both agreed this was one thing we both missed.

In fact there were no production shows, so we were wondering if the production shows are only on cruises more than 7 days. We had 4 guest performances in a 7 day cruise, 2 bands, a comedian and a magic act, all pretty good. All better than what I would usually see in a typical week.

So maybe that's what it is, because for me , a cruise never bores me in any way at all and it's always magical every time. So I guess I am simple minded after all.

Edited by NordicPrince
correct typos

NordicPrince, the cirque type show with the acrobats was one of the previous shows and was very good. This has now gone. It's the the new, non acrobat, style shows that people here are complaining about.

We have not seen any of the in house produced new shows . however having read the comments by others on this thread ,we now have concerns for our B2B next May cruises on Infiniti .:rolleyes:

We are long time Celebrity cruisers with over 40 Celebrity cruises & a total of 77 cruises . Imo .if Celebrity keeps up bad reviewed shows & that does get around .they can see themselves sailing with less people on board . It is all about the top & bottom lines in their business ;which would suffer if they are simply trying to save the money producing their own main stage shows .Call it penny wise & pound foolish :eek:.This is my 2 cents ;)

We have not seen any of the in house produced new shows . however having read the comments by others on this thread ,we now have concerns for our B2B next May cruises on Infiniti .:rolleyes:

We are long time Celebrity cruisers with over 40 Celebrity cruises & a total of 77 cruises . Imo .if Celebrity keeps up bad reviewed shows & that does get around .they can see themselves sailing with less people on board . It is all about the top & bottom lines in their business ;which would suffer if they are simply trying to save the money producing their own main stage shows .Call it penny wise & pound foolish :eek:.This is my 2 cents ;)

Do people really only cruise on a line because of the shows? I can't imagine that would be true to base a cruise choice on how good the shows are. After all the production shows only amount to roughly 3-4 hours of the entire cruise experience.

I can see people choosing a cruise based on food quality, but show quality, when there is usually other things that can be done, I kind of doubt it.

Do people really only cruise on a line because of the shows? I can't imagine that would be true to base a cruise choice on how good the shows are. After all the production shows only amount to roughly 3-4 hours of the entire cruise experience.

I can see people choosing a cruise based on food quality, but show quality, when there is usually other things that can be done, I kind of doubt it.

That is exactly what I thought when I read this thread. The shows are not that important to us, the food, atmosphere, the staff and the ship is more important than a show.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I think many do, especially some UK cruisers who frequent P&O cruises. Many of their ships have a theatre plus a couple of show bars so you can effectively move from one set of entertainment to another all evening.

The entertainment doesn't make a cruise for us however that shouldn't mean that the shows they have should be poor.

Hmm this is your opinion :eek:

Shows range 45 to 60 minutes per evening on a cruise ship X the # of days for that cruise. Let's now compare why some Las Vegas hotels (similar hospitality one on land & the other on water ) success . There are LV hotels who produce fabulous shows which draws more people to stay at their hotel ;while other hotels don't bother with that quality of show . You would come to find that the better hotels with the best shows fill quickly for folks to see that show ,;)

To some ,perhaps not you , they choose a particular cruise line because they really enjoy that cruise line shows . I am merely pointing out in my other post that by Changing their show productions to shows that folks walk out on does not help them fil their ships .In other words saving money on in house produced shows vs the Hollywood produced shows they had before can cost them more in the long run ,than the in house produced shows .In fact they touted those shows as 'much better shows than those prior Hollywood produced shows . From the posts I read on this thread that is not true at all .:eek:

The entertainment is more then the nightly production shows-IMO, it also is the all aound the ship music including, lounge music, pool music, cafe music, and dance club music etc. Unfortunately, while I enjoy Celebrity, typically the "entertainment" isn't 5 star. We especially dislike the canned loud music by the Martini Bar and in the speciality restaurants. IMO the music should be mellow at the bars and restaurants and in the background so people can talk to each other.

Edited by Cruise a holic

Entertainment may not be the prime factor in selecting a cruise, but it is a factor. X faces competition in all their markets. Where price, food, etc are otherwise equal wouldn't you prefer to sail a line with a reputation for superior entertainment over one that is reputedly inferior?

I normally chose cruising over a land holiday for the following reasons: The ocean, the all included or almost idea, the feeling of assurance that I will eat well and be entertained throughout the trip, and finally the possibility to explore new areas without having to consistently pack a suitcase. In May 2017, I will be experiencing my first X cruise and I was considering booking a future cruise while on board. Since my first cruise experience with RCCL in 1992, I find the food experience on cruises to be still quite good, although not as impressive as it was in 1992. From reading this tread, I am learning that shows on board are fleet wide and last for a few years. For some reasons, since each performer is unique, it never came to mind that shows could be repeated across a fleet. I am thankful to learn about that, since it may impact our future choices! In the past cruises, we were entertained by the productions shows, some more than others. This said we attended most of them,as part of our cruise experience. (May be because we don't live near Broadway.). So I am very disappointed to hear so many, almost one sided, negative reviews about the production shows on X. I am concerned that it will impact negatively our cruise experience and may make us change our minds about a future cruise. If food is going downhill ( as some have mentioned on other posts); if more and more historically included items are now available at extra cost; and finally, if shows are below PAR, we're only left with the ocean to compensate! Other types of travel experiences could become more attractive, all of a sudden!!! This said, I was happy to see that a X representative commented on this thread. This means that the cruise line was provided an opportunity to become aware of the issue, and may be, to take action to improve the cruise experience. At least, this is my hope, since I was and still am looking forward this first X experience, which I am hoping will be giving us a taste for doing it again!

Just wondering how long until Celebrity creates "specialty Show experience" where you pay $$$ to experience an enjoyable show. I've seen at least 6 of the home grown shows and , to be polite let's just say, they need work. I really feel for the cast that has to make this stuff work.