Have you ever booked 2 different cruise lines, same dates?

The price difference is over $2000 between the Disney Fantasy and Oasis of the Seas for 2A 1K (5) in June for a Navigators Verandah in comparison to a Superior Oceanview balcony. But, I'm thinking of a Boardwalk balcony which increases the price difference to over $2500. Disney sailing is Western. I think Oasis is eastern for the time frame but that doesn't matter to me. I've been to most of the islands before.

For Disney that is with an onboard booking discount of 10% and OBC. So I really need to determine if pixie dust means that much to me.

That's about my difference to. I am doing my sailing this October on Oasis to see if the that pixie dust does in fact mean that much to me as well.

We have a b2b booked on the Oasis for October 2017 which is coming in at the same cost as one week on the fantasy for that time period. Hard to give up a 'free' week just to sail DCL.

Have a great cruise. :)

Wondering if anyone has done this, or if there's a reason not to...

We currently have Harmony booked for Dec 17. Found a sailing on NCL Epic for the same date that is $2,000 less (one day shorter, but port is closer to home). I'm considering going ahead and booking the NCL while we watch Harmony prices, and then cancel one of them just before the cancellation deadline. Thoughts?

I've done this a few times. Sometimes with different lines like RCCL and Princess. Sometimes with the same cruise line and book 2 ships for the same date. Reasons vary. Sometimes I cancel or rebook one of them at final payment time. Sometimes earlier. I don't see a problem with it.

There is no reason why double booking have any negative effect?

People complain just to complain......

Sure there is.

It ties up cabins that others might want/need.

It causes pricing to go up and then down when the unsold inventory returns.

The cruise were looking at is the Panama Canal. Royal doesn't really go there. That makes it hard to pick which line to go with. There are different price ranges but which line to go with? Reading reviews of Princess not impressed, don"t know much about ncl and celebrity is on the high end. Using walker and would need handicapped room or a suite with a wide door but need to pick a room, not sure which to pick................................RADICAL

Celebrity's prices seem higher, but when you ad in the OBC that Royal doesn't give, and whatever pkg you want, it gets within a couple of hundred dollars of Royal. I found NCL's prices, while good upfront, add up very quickly and are about the same as Celebrity, but no OBC, or very little.My comparisons are Caribbean cruises.

Sure there is.

Exactly! This would be especially true for cabins in limited supply like HC or multiple berth cabins.

If there is really zero penalty for cancelling, I suppose it makes sense - after all in a market economy it pays to shop around. I would be inclined to make my choice at the time and stick with it. It seems likely that both of two similar itineraries which appealed to me would experience similar price movements: same date, same sort of itinerary, similar type of ship/line. -- their pricing would move together.

Sure, a HAL Caribbean itinerary might move differently than an NCL Bahamas -- but I would have decided one or the other at the time I first started planning.

But then, while I like a good deal, price is much less important than ship and itinerary.

Sure there is.

What do you think TA's do when they book a block of rooms or the premium ones? It happens on every cruise. They open up close to final payment.

I say if you want a particular cabin book early. And if there is one you must have, some of the cruise lines will contact the booked passenger and ask if they wouldn't mind moving. I had that happen on Princess.

And I don't agree there is a price impact of it going higher. If price is a worry wait and book after final payment. I have received some great deals that way.

I have to say doing this has never crossed my mind. I find the cruise I want then start the real planning. For me that is a huge milestone and once I make my decision that is it.

I am actually really surprised so many do it.

I'm inclined to think that those who do are primarily interested in the lowest price above any other consideration- and put less emphasis on itinerary, line or particular ship.

I agree with Notenirelynormal. I book a cabin, and that's it. There is a possibility that I change my mind if another line has an offer I can't refuse, then I cancel and book on the other line. I will not tie up 2 cruise lines cabins, then cancel one.It's not fair to other potential passengers. I don't compare what the TA's do as opposed to individuals.

I would not do hat. If I hold a c ab in I know I likdey will not use, somweone who wants that cab in cannot book it. I hope to never be that selfish. Bad form, IMO

Edited by sail7seas

This also probably explains why sometimes a cruise appears to be sold out but after the final payment is due, all of a sudden there is availability......folks with multiple bookings cancel all but one.

This also probably explains why sometimes a cruise appears to be sold out but after the final payment is due, all of a sudden there is availability......folks with multiple bookings cancel all but one.

Highly doubt it. Usually it is from multiple TA's who held blocks of rooms. You are assuming there are hundreds of people holding them that long. I doubt it.

Princess has run $1 deposit sales. Other lines have done low deposits too. I bet more cancellations fall into that category than a few people double booked.

I've never booked multiple cruises for the same date since I generally book all of our cruises after the final payment date. I watch prices for the weeks DH has his school breaks. He retires in seven weeks, so I'll have a lot more weeks to look for bargain prices on cruises.

So much in our world these days is 'all about me' and who cares how it may impact otther people. The attitude seems to be okay, it works for me so.... I don't c c are if someone else wants that cabin I likely will not use'. :eek:So many of us have become so selfish.

Edited by sail7seas

So much in our world these days is 'all about me' and who cares how it may impact otther people. The attitude seems to be okay, it works for me so.... I don't c c are if someone else wants that cabin I likely will not use'. :eek:So many of us have become so selfish.

Do you think that way when someone goes to a retailer and purchases 2 items and holds one until they decide which one they want? Then they return the item. No one has the opportunity to purchase it while the decision is made.

Give me a break. Each cabin is an item for purchase. No one should feel guilty of being selfish for purchasing something and deciding later to return it. Regardless of the quantity.

Do you think that way when someone goes to a retailer and purchases 2 items and holds one until they decide which one they want? Then they return the item. No one has the opportunity to purchase it while the decision is made.

Give me a break. Each cabin is an item for purchase. No one should feel guilty of being selfish for purchasing something and deciding later to return it. Regardless of the quantity.

Didn't realize people bought things just to return them:eek:

FWIW, retail items are rarely as unique as cabins on a cruise ship

Suites, AFT and Hump, HC, connecting, etc...

Didn't realize people bought things just to return them:eek:

FWIW, retail items are rarely as unique as cabins on a cruise ship

Suites, AFT and Hump, HC, connecting, etc...

That's a matter of opinion on what is unique. It could be. ;)

Point is.. it's a consumer product if you want to look at it that way. Available for sale. Everyone has a right to purchase what they want when it's available and never feel guilty about changing one's mind.

I highly doubt people are booking something with the intent to keep someone else from getting it. That.. would be ridiculous.:rolleyes:

Point is.. it's a consumer product if you want to look at it that way. Available for sale. Everyone has a right to purchase what they want when it's available and never feel guilty about changing one's mind.

I highly doubt people are booking something with the intent to keep someone else from getting it. That.. would be ridiculous.:rolleyes:

I've toyed with the idea. :eek::eek:

Regardless of the intent, sellers of consumer products are getting tougher on those who never feel guilty about changing one's mind. Retail stores track "serial returners" as described here. Look for cruise lines to tighten their refund policies if they believe that too many are gaming the system and costing them money.