HAL Website's "Wheel of Death"

Roz

Just a vent....the HAL website is so frustrating and hard to use. Half the time I can't access what I need, and end up having to go to the library to use their computers, and sometimes that doesn't work. When I just tried to do a search, I tried 2 different ways - Plan and Destinations - and both times I got the spinning "wheel of death". :(

Roz

Just a vent....the HAL website is so frustrating and hard to use. Half the time I can't access what I need, and end up having to go to the library to use their computers, and sometimes that doesn't work. When I just tried to do a search, I tried 2 different ways - Plan and Destinations - and both times I got the spinning "wheel of death". :(

Roz

Not sure what the issue may be but I have to access the site typically daily with my work and have not had any slowness or loading issues.

I am not having (nor have I had in recent memory) any issues using the HAL web site to do searches for itineraries, etc. It probably shouldn't matter in terms of the problem you're seeing but I use Chrome almost exclusively for web browsing.

The HAL site doesn't get along well with IE or Edge (Win 10). If you are using either, switch to Chrome or Firefox. Or at least install one of them so that you can use it for HAL if nowhere else.

I'm using my work computer and don't have admin rights to switch browsers. IE is so widely used, I don't understand why the HAL website doesn't support it. Thanks for all your suggestions.

Roz

Roz

Roz, I frequently have the same issues using my iPad. The HAL site is often very slow and clumsy to navigate. I don't find the search function very effective. The online TA's on the other hand are very easy to search so I've taken to going there first.

Barbara

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm using my work computer and don't have admin rights to switch browsers. IE is so widely used, I don't understand why the HAL website doesn't support it. Thanks for all your suggestions.

Roz

IE, and now Edge, is not as compliant to the established standards as the other browsers and Microsoft has a history of introducing "features" which break websites. In addition, some companies chose to program their websites to these Microsoft "features" making their sites unusable by people with other browsers, and even other versions of the Microsoft products.

It is easier for companies now to make their sites standard compliant.

Barbara, that's exactly what I end up doing when I need to conduct a search. As far doing things in my acct. such as booking shorex or doing online check-in, I rely on the library's computers.

Roz

On both IE and chrome, I have the OP's trouble on a consistent basis for a few months. The perpetual swirling circle of blue dots. My hunch is that it's because of the versions I'm using on this computer, or perhaps HAL needs the browsers' options set a certain way that is a little more finicky than other websites. Going to the website on chrome was not a cure for me. Anyway, like the OP, I find a different computer if I need to.

Have you recently cleared the cache in your browser? If not, you might want to try that, although storing web pages on your computer (cache) helps speed things up, not clearing your cache can affect your web experience.

Also have you tried a "force refresh?" That means pressing both the ctrl and F5 keys at the same time while you are on a site. This sends a message back to the HAL website and says, really, I want to see the page now. :)

Not sure what the issue may be but I have to access the site typically daily with my work and have not had any slowness or loading issues.

That's greeat forvc you but obviously not the caseofovr all of us. Here we go. Ifiit doesn't happen to someone, automaticallyi ally itimplies it did nothappen to anyone.

Edited by sail7seas

That's greeat forvc you but obviously not the caseofovr all of us. Here we go. Ifiit doesn't happen to someone, automaticallyi ally itimplies it did nothappen to anyone.

Holy cow Sail7! None of us were doubting the validity of the OP's experience, just sharing our lack of the same experience without judgement while providing suggestions for workarounds or fixes. :confused:

Edited by joepeka

I have to agree with a couple of the other comments. Why the attitude? In everything I read no one was implying anything but just stating that they didn't have issues. And some even made suggestions on what the OP might try.

I use IE and have had no problems with accessing the HAL website. And no Sail7Seas, I am not implying that the OP doesn't have issues.

Roz,if you are using a work computer, could it be that such websites are blocked? Just a thought. Some workplaces block certain websites/types of websites.

Let's not be too quick to ascertain attitudes. For people encountering the technical issue, the exasperation is compounded by posts that would potentially be used to conclude that the website is 100% fine. That could compromise the efforts of anyone who is dealing with the malfunction to actually get help.

Another thing to consider, since this is a work computer.

Many times a corporation will have an internal website which is based on the capabilities of a particular version of Internet Explorer. This internal web site may break with newer versions of IE, so the corporate IT department freezes IE at whatever version works properly with the internal site. This older version might not work properly with external web sites, but that is not a concern of the IT department.