Are multi-port usb chargers banned

We leave tomorrow and all the sudden I realized that our family of 5 has an awful lot of things that need to charge. From fitbits to iPhones, iPads to insulin pumps. There are not nearly enough outlets to go around. Best Buy sells a tower that will charge 5 usb items simultaneously. It's $30 so a bit much to purchase and then have confiscated.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

I use a small plug that has 2 USB ports. It is just a bit larger than a single iphone wall plug . With two outlets, you can charge 4 items at one time. I likely picked up the plugs at a drug store/best buy/wall mart/5 below. We've used them for several years with no issue bringing it on board.

Good luck

M

...From fitbits to iPhones, iPads to insulin pumps....

If you have something like an insulin pump, something that is a definite need, be sure to contact the special needs department and let them know. If any extension cords or other things are required in order to run it, they will arrange to supply what you need.

As for having an item confiscated, generally anything found that isn't allowed will be given back to you, except for alcohol.

I've taken them before without any issue.

Just a head's up on your Fitbit ... if you have a tracker that measures floors climbed, be prepared to see a lot of floors!!! The altimeter measures the movement of the ship as climbing stairs.

While I almost exclusively take the stairs on a ship, I was registering stair climbs into the hundreds of floors, each day!!!

You might want to join a stair climb challenge before you sail :D

• Like 1

If you have something like an insulin pump, something that is a definite need, be sure to contact the special needs department and let them know. If any extension cords or other things are required in order to run it, they will arrange to supply what you need.

As for having an item confiscated, generally anything found that isn't allowed will be given back to you, except for alcohol.

My husband wears an insulin pump and when it needs to be charged it can be plugged into an outlet on the desk. It comes with it's own cord.

Thanks! I did contact special needs just to be sure we have a sharps container in the room for syringes, etc. Her insulin pump is just like a phone, it can be plugged in to a regular wall outlet while she showers. So we don't need anything special for it - we just need more plugs for all of our stuff!

• Like 1

I like the products from PowerCube, particularly this model:

41%2B0zSeqezL._SY355_.jpg

You can charge up to 6 items, 4 via AC and 2 via USB. Just use the AC chargers that come with your devices rather than just the USB cable. Unlike a pure USB hub, you get a bit more versatility with this. It's also not surge protected, another benefit for use onboard.

You can also take European outlet adapters to use in the European outlets- get more outlets that way! All you need is the adapter portion, not the voltage converter. Small, easy to pack.

Every once in a while somebody posts a great, simple idea. I use the adapters all the time for work travel and have looked at the plugs on every cruise and never thought to bring my adapter - heck I think it even was in my backpack last week on the liberty and there was a euro plug in a really convent spot but no US plug.

Thanks!

Well, I went ahead and picked up this:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/anker-usb-wall-charger-white/5286400.p?id=bb5286400&skuId=5286400

though I like some of the ones you all posted better. I picked this one because it said nothing about surge protection and because it's pretty small; it doesn't look like a power cord or surge protector.

Hopefully we won't have any charging port fights.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/anker-usb-wall-charger-white/5286400.p?id=bb5286400&skuId=5286400

though I like some of the ones you all posted better. I picked this one because it said nothing about surge protection and because it's pretty small; it doesn't look like a power cord or surge protector.

It's well rated and I like Anker products. Enjoy!

That's absolutely fine.

I LOVE the fact that it says, "The white color coordinates with your Apple devices". :eek: ;) :D

Because really, everyone cares that their charger COLOR MATCHES something!

Anker makes the BEST USB / charging products, hands down. Their customer service is second to none.

I have several of those chargers; home, travel bag...etc. Never had an issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have one of those (I believe that exact model) that I take with me traveling. I've never had an issue boarding a ship with it. Note that I keep it in my carry-on not in a checked bag.

Edited by ewenix

• 8 years later...
4 minutes ago, gallagher123123 said:

I saw a post on Facebook this morning saying that all multi-port adapters are banned as of yesterday. Does anyone know anything about this? Love my multi-port USB chargers.

"Multi plug outlets" now show as banned. But I interpret this as electrical outlets, not USB ports.

image.png.247748056edca2a81a98fbca90933a42.png

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, gallagher123123 said:

I saw a post on Facebook this morning saying that all multi-port adapters are banned as of yesterday. Does anyone know anything about this? Love my multi-port USB chargers.

That would be really problematic considering that they are standard equipment in full suites on all Oasis, Quantum, and Icon class ships in the fleet. We will be on board in 10 days and will certainly bring ours and expect to be able to use it.