Recent cutbacks

caribill

Over the years the only cut backs that have really jarred my preserves is the closing of the MDR for lunch on port days and the printing of my own luggage tags....other than that nothing particularly troubles me.

We never have attended a CC reception, really have no interest in watered drinks and limp canopies. so changes there have no impact on our enjoyment. I will say that we were surprised to be invited to the "most cruised" luncheon earlier this month and it was terrific from beginning to end.

One much heralded cutback that doesn't seem to have occurred is removal of bread and butter from the tables at dinner. At least on the May 26th cruise of the Regal there was lots of buns and butter on the tables in the MDR.

The cutbacks on butter & bread was I believe only a trial to save money on the Emerald earlier this year. As a result the waiters were pretty annoyed & subsequently after making many trips for additional butter, bread sticks, etc. they would just bring huge amounts of extra everything if you asked for more. It sort of defeated the purpose of saving any money. Who needs 12 more bread sticks when I only wanted 2 ?

Leftover canapes at the Captains Circle party? My experience has always been that if you weren't in the front half of the line they were all gone by the time you were seated. Though on Emerald in April I did notice more bar waiters serving the drinks than previously as reported above.

As for the salt and pepper shakers, maybe half of them are refusing to come out of the galley each night in solidarity with the butter dishes :rolleyes:

Agree about the canapes. We very seldom ever saw anyone serving them and when they finally made it to our section they ran out. We finally stopped going. Just wasn't fun anymore, too crowded and frustrating trying to get a drink.

Over the years the only cut backs that have really jarred my preserves is the closing of the MDR for lunch on port days and the printing of my own luggage tags....other than that nothing particularly troubles me.

We also hate the MDR isn't open for lunch on port days. :(

We also hate the MDR isn't open for lunch on port days. :(

I can kind of agree with that cutback. The DR was practically empty the few times we used it. Keeping the galley open with with the wait staff standing by for only a few dozen people really didn't make to much sense.

I can kind of agree with that cutback. The DR was practically empty the few times we used it. Keeping the galley open with with the wait staff standing by for only a few dozen people really didn't make to much sense.

I'm also in this camp. At first I was outraged. Outraged, I say!! But it wore off. The lunches served in the MDR got so boring and limited that I don't really miss them. Especially on a ship with an Alfredo's.

We missed the canapes at one of the past passenger parties. When I posted this on the "live" thread I was doing at the time, someone else on the ship reported that they had been served the canapes. Apparently the wait staff just never made it to our part of the room.

As for someone's comment about watered-down drinks, we always ask for wine. It's not watered-down since there's no ice in it.

We missed the canapes at one of the past passenger parties. When I posted this on the "live" thread I was doing at the time, someone else on the ship reported that they had been served the canapes. Apparently the wait staff just never made it to our part of the room.

As for someone's comment about watered-down drinks, we always ask for wine. It's not watered-down since there's no ice in it.

It seems to be that they only prepare only so many for the events & when they're gone, that's it. Same holds true with the chocolate pops at the champagne waterfall.

It could be that they were throwing to many away?

I noticed the following cutbacks on a recent cruise on the CB.

o In the dining room, there was only one set of salt and pepper shakers on tables for eight. There used to be two sets.

You know you set yourself up for being laughed at with this one.:p

Please don't tell me you fussed about it on your cruise instead of just asking the waiter to bring another one.

My guess is the cruise went so well you had to find something to complain about. :rolleyes:

I guess I take a different approach after over 50 cruises on 9 different lines over the past 30+ years, I look at what I enjoy and go for it. Instead of focusing on what I might miss, I focus on what I really enjoy, even if it means spending more to get what I want. By doing so, I look forward to every cruise. :)

You know you set yourself up for being laughed at with this one.:p

Please don't tell me you fussed about it on your cruise instead of just asking the waiter to bring another one.

My guess is the cruise went so well you had to find something to complain about. :rolleyes:

No complaining, just reporting.

And it was a great 33 days on the ship.

Really, only one set of salt and pepper shakers on a table for 8?

I know - thank goodness we only sit at tables for 2 where 1 set is always supplied. Were we to experience the withholding of shakers, we'd have to change cruise lines - likely to X, or..., or ... or the one with the ships with old ladies names!

At our last Captains Circle (Platinum & Elite) reception there were no canapes at all and only one drink per person unless you had an exceptional waiter like ours who suggested bringing two drinks to start with :-)

Edited by wishfulone

I know - thank goodness we only sit at tables for 2 where 1 set is always supplied. Were we to experience the withholding of shakers, we'd have to change cruise lines - likely to X, or..., or ... or the one with the ships with old ladies names!

You'd really change cruise lines over salt and pepper shakers? [emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk