Thoughts on best time to cruise the Mediterrean

HALCruisingMD

Hello all,

I am currently debating between to Mediterranean cruises and would appreciate input on when it might be better to travel.

The itineraries are essentially the same (Venice to Rome with multiple stops in Italy, Greece and Turkey). The ship is the same, as is the stateroom.

The only difference is the timing. One is July 10-22 2017 and the other is August 25 - September 8 2017.

I have been to Rome in July and it was extremely hot and humid. However, I have not been to the other ports so don't really know what the weather or crowds might be like. I also know Europe is on vacation in August.

I would love to hear the opinions of experienced cruisers such as yourselves. Thanks in advance for all your input!

Hi

July and August can be hot and uncomfortable to site see, where as September is slightly cooler and much better. We sadly are stuck with holidaying in late July/August due to school holidays we would much rather go in September.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Hello,

After considering things such as weather,crowds and the fact that for me this will be an "excursion heavy" cruise I decided on the August 27th itinerary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Weather's always tough to call. We were on the Mediterranean Dream cruise last year, Sept 4 - 15. Hit the same the same areas you mentioned. We specifically chose a September cruise hoping for cooler weather. Turns out we were there during a heat wave and were told it was hotter in every port than it was in July and August! Upper 90's the entire trip. :eek: Just roll the dice and go for the dates that suit you best! :D Have a wonderful cruise!

... I decided on the August 27th itinerary.

That should be better than July. We went in July one time and all of Europe was having a heat wave. It was brutal walking about! When we went in September, it was quite nice. Hopefully your weather will not be overbearing.

I havebeen toEurope 3 timesin October ...very pleasant not too hot actually very nice.I found May this year rather cold for VeniceGreece and Turkey

Agreed - we tend to go in April/May or late fall (September/October/early November). You might need to layer, but the weather is perfect for touring, the crowds are thinner (in most places ;))

I have found the Med in early May, and late October/early November to be plenty hot enough. I can't imagine being there in July/August. There would be no joy in visiting any of the sites when the heat & humidity was beyond unbearable.

I would never do August. I did a land trip with my so in August a number of years ago when he was still studying and found it too hot, too crowded, too everything.

Our preference is spring or fall. We have yet to do a May/June med trip. We have done numerous mid Sept/mid Oct trips. Both cruise and independent land travel. The weather, for us, was perfect for both the cruise and for pre and post independent travel. So much so that we plan to be there again this year,

The other plus for us is that it seems much easier to score a good offer for a late booking cruise in this fall timeframe and land based accommodation is easier to get and can be less expensive.

I have found the Med in early May, and late October/early November to be plenty hot enough. I can't imagine being there in July/August. There would be no joy in visiting any of the sites when the heat & humidity was beyond unbearable.

Ditto! We have gone to the Med twice in May and once in October. It was lovely and warm, but not unbearable like July-August would be. I prefer May because of all the spring flowers in bloom.

Early and later is better for the Med. I did a late September October cruise with perfect weather and thinner crowds. The recent Grand Med arrived in the Med in late March through late April and had terrific weather with few crowds unless we hit a big port on a weekend. Will do that one again in a year or two.

Living in Europe, I fully agree to what the others have stated. Mid- June to the middle of September in the Mediterranean can be awfully hot and humid, with lots of thunderstorms. Right now they are having a heatwave with more than a 100 F. whereas two weeks ago when we cruised there it was mild, sunny and warm - perfect.

Additionally these months are the months where simply everybody in Europe seems to be holidaying - lots of crowds and screaming children....

If you don't mind the heat the only plus is the fact that especially this year prices for the Med have been very low!

So September/October usually are good months, if you leave it too late in the year, the weather can become unpredictable again ( flooding in Venice, for example) and a lot of the shops, tourists sights, HoHo buses etc. are closing down for the year.

The weather is going to be essentially the same in late August/early September as in July: HOT.

I'm not sure about European schools, but US tourist levels may be slightly lower in late August/early September as kids head back to school. Yes, many Europeans holiday in August, so not sure whether there will be much difference from a "crowded" perspective.

In short, it's really six of one, half a dozen of the other when it comes to choosing between July or August. Pick whichever one suits you best personally.

(I do agree with others that from the perspective of weather and crowds, it's much better to cruise the Med in the shoulder season. I don't care for extremely hot weather or crowds and I have enjoyed 6-7 Med cruises in the April/May or October/November time frame.)