Wine Navigator Packages

KCalla

Can anyone help with information about the different "levels" of Wine Navigator Packages. I understand that there is a "Navigator's Choice" level and a higher cost "Admiral's Choice" level. I cannot find any information about the differences in wine bottle choices under these two levels. My only guess is that "Navigator's Choice" allows you to select bottles of wine under a set cost per bottle, and that "Admiral's Choice" selections come from a higher per bottle cost range. Am I correct? Does anyone know what those wine list cost ranges are? I am trying to determine whether it is worthwhile finding wine at the embarkation port to bring aboard (and pay the corkage fee) to enjoy with our dinners on a 14 day cruise. Thanks for any and all help.

Karen

You do not get to choose wine by price as you describe.

Packages come in 3, 5, 7 bottles, at a set price per number of bottles in the package you choose. There are two lists of what is available, one for each package.

We much prefer the Admirals Package, but the bottles available change by ship and what is stocked at any time on any ship.

By HAL's wine pricing the packages are reasonable deals. If you want high end wine, the packages aren't likely what you would want.

If you scroll down to the thread entitled "bar menu prices", Post 2, first link gives you what you need.

Edited by SilvertoGold

We did the Navigator's Wine Package one time -- a couple of the wines listed for the package were out of stock.

We did the Admiral's Wine Package another time -- better choices.

We are not big wine drinkers so only bought the 3 bottle packages.

I would advise you to wait until you are on the ship to find out exactly what wines are in each package.

If it isn't a hassle and you like better wines, I'd bring on board what you like and pay the corkage. Think it's better value for money if wine is cheap for where you are. The only exception is if you're a high-level (4*+) Mariner and get 50% off the package (+ gratuity on the full amount).

Edited by cruising cockroach

If it isn't a hassle and you like better wines, I'd bring on board what you like and pay the corkage. Think it's better value for money if wine is cheap for where you are. The only exception is if you're a high-level (4*+) Mariner and get 50% off the package (+ gratuity on the full amount).

Agree. Depends on what you want to drink.

With the 5 star discount, it works for us.

Thank you all for your quick replies and sharing your knowledge. This is exactly the information I was trying unsuccessfully to find. We are looking forward to our upcoming Prinsendam cruise. It has been some years since our last Holland America cruise. -Karen

Because the wines in each package can change, the lovely brochure that you can pick up at a table (near the Lido?) on embarkation day may not match the wines on display or the wines that are actually available. Ask a wine steward in the MDR for the latest list.

We've learned to wait until we're aboard to see the available lists for that sailing. I'm thinking this time we're going to get a bottle of Crown for the cabin to have a pre-dinner drink and at dinner just order wine by the glass.

We're not cheap ... but I hate to pay $38+ for a bottle of wine I get at the grocery for $5 on sale ,,, and $7 full price LOL On board I can get a bottle of Crown and a bottle of good scotch for a good bit less than the wine package.

Can anyone help with information about the different "levels" of Wine Navigator Packages. I understand that there is a "Navigator's Choice" level and a higher cost "Admiral's Choice" level. I cannot find any information about the differences in wine bottle choices under these two levels. My only guess is that "Navigator's Choice" allows you to select bottles of wine under a set cost per bottle, and that "Admiral's Choice" selections come from a higher per bottle cost range. Am I correct? Does anyone know what those wine list cost ranges are? I am trying to determine whether it is worthwhile finding wine at the embarkation port to bring aboard (and pay the corkage fee) to enjoy with our dinners on a 14 day cruise. Thanks for any and all help.

Karen

Here is the current brochure that describes all of the packages:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Wine-Packages-1.pdf

• 1 month later...
Thank you. In searching the boards this is exactly what I wanted to know!

Wine choices on each ship may vary. As others have said, best to wait until you are onboard, confirm the choices and then book.

Generally speaking (and depending upon your preference), we prefer the whites in the Navigator selection except for one in the Admiral package (Nobilo) and the reds in the Admiral package. So we order both once we confirm what they have on board.

also, another point in case....we tend to do longer cruises but even on short ones,they can run out. When they do, we have found that they offer us a superior wine to replace our choice ;)

We will often purchase the Admirals Wine Package which is the slightly higher end package as compared to the Navigator Package. But for oenophiles, neither package would be very satisfying. We think the major attraction of the 2 packages is to 3, 4 or 5 Star Mariners who get a hefty discount....only on those packages. We also think that HAL selects the wine for those packages with the discounts in mind :(. We would not consider either package if we were paying the full cost.

Hank

We bring our wine on board since we have our preferences. However, we have learned about new wines while on HAL cruises, which is always fun.

This may help you with your purchasing decision to see what kind of wine value you are buying.

Navigator Wines -- With Average Retail Price in US Stores

Piedra Negra Torrontes, $11.00

Danzante Pinot Grigio and Moscato, $10.99

Caliterra Chardonnay, $9.99

Dreaming Tree Chardonnay, $9.99

Greystone Sauvignon Blanc, $13.99

Puerto Viejo Carmenere, $10.00

Frescobaldi Remole, $11.99

Chateau des Trois Tours Bordeaux, $10.99

Deakin Estate Shiraz and Pinot Noir, $9.99

Los Riscos Merlot, $8.99

Tapena Tempranillo, $8.99

Toro de Piedra Cabernet Sauvignon, $9.99

Admiral Wines -- With Average Retail Price in US stores

Tangley Oaks Chardonnay, California, $14.99

Grace Lane Riesling, Washington, $9.99

Estancia Pinot Grigio, California, $11.99

Nobilo Sauvignon Blanc, New Zealand, $14.99

Franciscan Equilibrium White Blend, California, $16.99

Domaine Les Salices Chardonnay, France, $10.99

Hayman & Hill Chardonnay, California, $13.59

Spellbound Cabernet Sauvignon, California, $13.99

Wente Sandstone Merlot, California, $14.99

Estancia Pinot Noir, California, $14.99

Frescobaldi Castiglioni Chianti, Italy, $14.99

Decero Cabernet Sauvignon, Argentina, $15.99

Cuarto Uominio Lote 44 Malbec, Argentina, $9.99

Wente Beyer Ranch Zinfandel, California, $13.00

HAL Pricing

3-Bottle Wine Navigator, $102.35

5-Bottle Wine Navigator, $171.35

7-Bottle Wine Navigator, $228.85

3-Bottle Wine Admiral's Choice, $136.85

5-Bottle Wine Admiral's Choice, $228.85

7-Bottle Wine Admiral's Choice, $309.35

Edited by just_cruising_along

Thank your for the list and the comparison pricing. Yes confirms more cost effective as well as the wine selection as compared as what we would bring on board. Just did not want to have to carry it on, but it will be worth it.

Thank you all again for helping in making an informed decision.

Thanks for the comparison. If you do not get a Mariner discount, it is less expensive to buy (at Total Wine in Fort Lauderdale) and pay the $18 corkage fee per bottle (a bit over $28 per bottle vs. HAL's price of $34.27).

However, if you are a 4 or 5 Star Mariner, it usually is less expensive to go with the package (assuming you like the wines of course). For example, using a 5 bottle Navigator package and the Dreaming Tree Chardonnay, your cost on bringing it onboard is $9.99 plus $18 or basically $28/bottle (perhaps a bit more adding sales tax on land). As a 4/5 Star your cost is $19.40 per bottle (approx.).

Thamks for posting the wine listing and current costs in the U.S.

IF we can get those wines here, their prices are much higher in Canada (and it is not just the exchange rate) so really, when it comes down to pricing and especially with the Mariner discount, the mark up is not high at all for us. ;)

We do bring on wine with us to enjoy - different vintages, things we can't get here and HAL doesn't have and it makes sense for us. But the wine packages just work dandy for most dinners for us ;)

Edited by kazu

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the info! We had Explore4 on our last cruise & are trying to decide if we want to do one of the Wine Packages or hit BJ's in Ft. Lauderdale -- I'm leaning toward the 5 bottle Navigator Package....correct me if I'm wrong PLEASE but we can pick the wines we want - right? We are only 3* Mariners so we won't get a huge discount but won't have to pay the corkage fee.