Pre-made Sandwiches in Lido

EDLOS

Piling a lot of slices of meat on a sandwich is an American thing.

[/code]Exactly! I worked for two European Airlines for 32 years.. Would never even order a closed sandwich (2slices of bread) when in Europe. or any where else..

Instead, I always enjoyed little Open faced Scandinavian type sandwiches (smørrebrød.) which IMO are delicious..

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Norwegian-Open-Faced-Sandwiches

To this day I'm not a big bread or roll eater of sandwiches.. I still prefer the Scandinavian types..:)

When I make them, I cut each piece of bread or toast with it's toppings in four or six pieces..

Edited by serendipity1499

Are there sandwich fixings to make your own? Bread, meats, cheeses, spreads, etc... ?

Yes you can but you need to go to multi stations and the bread choices are better at breakfast, more cheeses at dinner, salad bar for lettuce, tomato, onion, olives. Dive In for condiments.

Are there sandwich fixings to make your own? Bread, meats, cheeses, spreads, etc... ?

Yes, there is sliced bread, rolls, condiments and sliced meat, cheeses and other vegetable fillers but you will need to walk around the buffet a bit to put what you want together. However there are now new "plated" small dishes also available at lunch including some very nice grilled Italian vegetables which one could add to a sandwich, or the tomato/mozzarella small plate. Sounds like a bother, but one can make a relative "custom" sandwich on their own.

The one thing I did not like in the past when they were custom made was putting them in the "panini maker" when I asked for a BLT - that got toasted bread of course, but that also led to hot lettuce and a very squished and unappealing end result.

There is now far more variety of other options for lunch so when they take away one standard item, it does get replaced with others that can be good substitutes, like the "bowls" of asian broth offerings, the far better pizza and custom pasta station, expanded sushi offerings, the speedier salad bars ... and these new small plates. I think HAL is trying to respond to changing tastes of their younger passengers.

Then there are places where they put butter on the bread, no matter what type of sandwich ;) I know South Africans and the Brits do it.

As do the Dutchies ;)

AH HA That's why DH likes me to put butter on both sides of his bread or toast for his sandwiches, even if they have mustard on them.. He does not like Mayo..

I will usually put butter on one side & mayo or mustard on the other if I'm making full sandwiches for myself, or no butter if I'm making open faced ones..

Edited by serendipity1499

Then there are places where they put butter on the bread, no matter what type of sandwich ;) I know South Africans and the Brits do it.

We ran into the bread and butter snacks several times on our last Northern Europe cruise - in our lunch kits on our way to Berlin and on SAS airlines for their mid-flight snack. Just bread and butter, and actually quite good.

Plus we bee-lined to the stand in the Hamburg RR station selling large soft pretzels stuffed with whipped butter - I can never get enough of those.

I could also easily make a meal every day on HAL fresh rolls and sweet butter and is what I crave most when I am not onboard. Art form - European bread(s) and butter.

Living in Basel Switzerland for a while I discovered thei local bread specialty that looked like dark, burned cannon balls that shattered and crackled when their tough outer shell was broken which made a mess of their always impeccably clean white tablecloths. (Brürl-ibrot)

But inside was this stringy sweet dough now combined with the charred, caramelized outer shell to smear with some rich sweet butter - ahhh, nothing finer.

Edited by OlsSalt

Yes, and you put crazy stuff on it like sprinkles (AKA 'hagelslag ')! :D

DETA1-1208.jpg

I saw a lady on our last cruise carrying out full handfuls of those little sprinkle boxes. I guess she was stocking up her suitcase to take them home.

Yes, and you put crazy stuff on it like sprinkles (AKA 'hagelslag ')! :D

DETA1-1208.jpg

Grew up with those bad boys! ;) There is a long-time and well known 'sandwich shop" in central Amsterdam called "Broodje van Kootje" (Kootje's bread) Can't miss it when in A'dam :)

Sandwiches are such a matter of personal preference. I tried one of the premade ones once, and it wasn't horrible, but I didn't ever feel the need to go back. When on a cruise ship, I just "walk on by" anything I don't want to eat. There's generally something else I do want in its stead :)

Sandwiches are such a matter of personal preference. I tried one of the premade ones once, and it wasn't horrible, but I didn't ever feel the need to go back. When on a cruise ship, I just "walk on by" anything I don't want to eat. There's generally something else I do want in its stead :)

I agree. I eat sandwiches all the time at home. When I'm on vacation, I want something different. If the pre-made sandwiches are so gross, I will pass them by and get a burger or asian food or something else instead. There are so many other options that I doubt I will have time to try them all in one week, and the sandwiches will not be missed!

You can do it, but it does take some initiative and creativity.

I grabbed a roll, and went through the line picking up chunks of cheese so I could slice them into smaller pices. Sometimes HAL cooperates and gives out sliced cheese (YAY).

Then I got chicken and had to slice it off the bone, but I'm OK with that. I went to the salad bar and got spinach, tomato, cukes, sometimes bacon or whatever I wanted on my sandwich.

One day I got very creative and made egg salad!!

It may seem like a lot of work but after a few attempts it got faster. And it was FRESH and I got exactly what I wanted.

Hmmm. You have a point. You do not have to hunt for a glass of fresh squeezed OJ in the Lido. Why? Because it no longer exists.

Hank

Your correct, it is made from concentrate now but the service is still significantly better under the Marketplace than it was before. Its ok to admit that a few things are actually better than in the past .

Edited by KirkNC

... maybe not on the Prinsendam but most certainly does on the Veendam (which we were on a couple of weeks ago) ...

I have not sailed recently on the Veendam, but I can say from experience, fresh squeezed OJ definitely does not exist on either the Prinsendam or the Amsterdam. On the Amsterdam, when I mentioned to a crew member wearing a chef's hat in the lido, that I missed the freshOJ, he answered "Oh, we still squeeze it fresh, just on a deck below. I simply handed him a glass of what was available and said "Please taste this and try to repeat your statement. He declined to do so.

I want to be 30 years younger, 30 pounds lighter, and have $100 million dollars more in the bank. None of those things are ever going to happen. Neither is HAL going to revert back to its "glory days" - whenever that was.

If you're unhappy with HAL as it stands now, all you have to do is book with another line. There are plenty of premium lines to choose from that would be happy to accommodate you.

...and THAT'S what we have done...booked Viking Oceans and Oceania... BYE, HAL

...and THAT'S what we have done...booked Viking Oceans and Oceania... BYE, HAL

And you are probably paying quite a bit more for your cruise. I state again, HAL should raise prices and raise the quality of food, service and entertainment. They have the best itineraries out there. This endless cycle of cost cutting will result in an empty ship or one many of us don't want to be on. If you can grow the top line faster then you don't have to continue cutting costs.

You can do it, but it does take some initiative and creativity.

I grabbed a roll, and went through the line picking up chunks of cheese so I could slice them into smaller pices. Sometimes HAL cooperates and gives out sliced cheese (YAY).

Then I got chicken and had to slice it off the bone, but I'm OK with that. I went to the salad bar and got spinach, tomato, cukes, sometimes bacon or whatever I wanted on my sandwich.

One day I got very creative and made egg salad!!

It may seem like a lot of work but after a few attempts it got faster. And it was FRESH and I got exactly what I wanted.

Most times I want something simple when I go to the Lido for lunch. If they are serving roast beef or pork, I will grab a plate, get a slice of it, walk to the bread station and get two pieces of dark bread, walk to the salad bar and get some lettuce and either some butter or mayonnaise. Make my own sandwich at the table and ask the waiter to bring me a glass of lemonade. Haven't seen the new "Market Place Lido", so I hope that I can continue to do that.

My favorite sandwich on HAL has been taking the turkey slices from the carving area, in the Lido. Then I'd pick up some cranberry sauce and go to the sandwich man to put it together for me with lettuce & mayo. On our last cruise on Rotterdam, I got my turkey slices, cranberry sauce and found no sliced bread anywhere! The hard rolls available were too small for a nice sandwich, and it's hard to find a piece of lettuce at the salad station, too. Oh well, love the burgers and chicken sandwiches by the pool!

We did have fresh squeezed OJ in the dining room. :)

Grew up with those bad boys! ;) There is a long-time and well known 'sandwich shop" in central Amsterdam called "Broodje van Kootje" (Kootje's bread) Can't miss it when in A'dam :)

I have been to Boodje van Kootje! :D

This thread has given me some sandwich ideas. Thanks! Never thought about going to the carving station and getting some of the meat du jour and then compiling my own concoction by visiting other buffet stations.

What pre-made sandwiches I have eaten, I have enjoyed. I also prefer the made-to-order sandwich opportunity and will dearly miss not having the panini grill available. Sometimes, for me at least, nothing tastes better than a Grilled Ham and Swiss Cheese on Rye.

My favorite sandwich on HAL has been taking the turkey slices from the carving area, in the Lido. Then I'd pick up some cranberry sauce and go to the sandwich man to put it together for me with lettuce & mayo. On our last cruise on Rotterdam, I got my turkey slices, cranberry sauce and found no sliced bread anywhere! The hard rolls available were too small for a nice sandwich, and it's hard to find a piece of lettuce at the salad station, too. Oh well, love the burgers and chicken sandwiches by the pool!

We did have fresh squeezed OJ in the dining room. :)

The taco bar has lovely shredded lettuce (assuming there is one on your ship).

I used it for my tomatoes,onions and lettuce ;)