Pre-made Sandwiches in Lido

EDLOS

The "made-to-order" sandwiches still existed on AMDM during her Jan-May 2016 grand world voyage but, I believe, were taken away for the current Alaska season. I'm another one who hates to see them go

I'm another one who will hate to see the Made-to-Order" sandwiches go..:(

John, Love your new Avatar.. Please tell us who the lucky little one is? :)

The "made-to-order" sandwiches still existed on AMDM during her Jan-May 2016 grand world voyage but, I believe, were taken away for the current Alaska season. I'm another one who hates to see them go

Yes, WCB confirmed this when they were on the re-positioning to the West Coast.

As I posted, it seems to be ship-specific and I am coming to believe it is budget-specific for a given ship/cruise.

Yes, WCB confirmed this when they were on the re-positioning to the West Coast.

As I posted, it seems to be ship-specific and I am coming to believe it is budget-specific for a given ship/cruise.

I don't think it is ship specific, just a matter of timing. I think as the "market place" concept is put in place, the made to order sandwiches go. That was my understanding from what I was told as well.

There are definitely things offered on the World Cruise and even the Grand Voyages that are not offered on regular cruises ;).

Does anyone have a photo of the sandwich option menu? I saw the salad one on a different thread (though I was disappointed the specialty salads didn't list what was in each)

Jan/Feb 47 day cruise experience

If you are talking about Premade Sandwiches, there is no Menu, the sandwiches change daily and a little card describes what in them at that station. One of the sandwiches is the same every day (I think Vegetarian)

HAL has also gone to a lot of Grain Salads instead of Pasta, Potato, Egg, Tuna Salads which I am told are much healthier for me, which is a threat to me at 80 years old . It's sort of, shut up and eat healthy, YOU WILL LIKE IT !

Does anyone have a photo of the sandwich option menu? I saw the salad one on a different thread (though I was disappointed the specialty salads didn't list what was in each)

As requested images from the Nieuw Amsterdam May 2016:

IMG_0437-Large.jpg

IMG_0812-Large.jpg

IMG_0816-Large.jpg

IMG_0815-Large.jpg

IMG_0814-Large.jpg

IMG_0438-Large.jpg

Thank you for the pictures. They read as though they are all sauced up. Maybe in time they will be served "dry" with a condiment station to add your own spread.

A good suggestion, but I suspect that they'd view that as defeating the whole purpose of having pre-made "grab 'n go" sandwiches. If they did, next people would be asking for the meat not to be included so you could add your own to taste.

Thank you for the pictures. They read as though they are all sauced up. Maybe in time they will be served "dry" with a condiment station to add your own spread.

If they are doing the premades to avoid human contamination having "sauces" on the side might be a problem. Based on the stories on this thread and what I've seen, people might want to stick their hands in a jar to taste it :D. Also if it's mayo, it likely shouldn't sit on the counter for days on end.

Pizza is not pizza with Cheddar and pre-made sandwiches are not as good as sandwiches of your choice.

If pizza is the analogue, there are standards you do not mess with. You just try to serve something as close to the ideal as you can. Does it suggest that pre-made sandwiches are the way to go?

Woo Hoo!!!! A BLT that is right up my alley! No complaints here :)

The day you want a BLT, it's not there. It may be there one day on a 14 day cruise, never to be seen again. Similar with other choices that you see above.

What is wrong with people about NOT touching food with bare hands.....and.....putting it back?!?!

I cannot even imagine sticking hand in jar or bowl or container or spoon to taste it....WTH!?!?:eek

I will stick my own clean spoon in dressing to taste it but not to repeat said action!

I hsve really noticed older grown folks doing such ignorant activities!

What is wrong with people about NOT touching food with bare hands.....and.....putting it back?!?!

I cannot even imagine sticking hand in jar or bowl or container or spoon to taste it....WTH!?!?:eek

I will stick my own clean spoon in dressing to taste it but not to repeat said action!

I hsve really noticed older grown folks doing such ignorant activities!

I hear you. I never use a spoon twice, always use forks to get pickles out of a jar etc. I'm amazed at how folks are not overly concerned about being clean.

I was so aggravated with an old guy who stuck his obviously dirty spoon in a particular salad dressing to taste it and I immediately called an attendant over to change it out because "HE" stuck a dirty spoon in it! At that point he obviously was never taught manners and looked at me like I was the crazy one. His wife looked at me and I just looked at her snd rolled my eyes in disgust!

Woo Hoo!!!! A BLT that is right up my alley! No complaints here :)

Except they ruined it by putting it on RYE bread! Everyone knows a BLT should be on sourdough! :D

I don't think there was a single one of those sandwiches that I would eat. At least one item on each that I would dislike and not be able to remove, like horseradish sauce, or ranch and mustard on the same sandwich. Gross!

The day you want a BLT, it's not there. It may be there one day on a 14 day cruise, never to be seen again. Similar with other choices that you see above.

This is one of those "damned if you do; damned if you don't" situations. If they repeat the BLT (or any of the other selections), then some people will complain about the lack of variety. If they change things up daily, then other people will complain that the item they want isn't served often enough.

Maybe over time they'll develop a menu of highly popular "everyday" sandwiches which will be accompanied by a rotating selection of other sandwiches.

Except they ruined it by putting it on RYE bread! Everyone knows a BLT should be on sourdough! :D

Who says it has to be sourdough bread? I have eaten a variety of BLTs on a variety of breads and they were all good. Well... bacon...

I don't think there was a single one of those sandwiches that I would eat. At least one item on each that I would dislike and not be able to remove, like horseradish sauce, or ranch and mustard on the same sandwich. Gross!

One man's gross is anther one's yummy.

My day used to love beet salad and cold gravy on bread. Not my cup of tea but it made him happy. (I have no idea how he cam up with that combination!)

This is one of those "damned if you do; damned if you don't" situations. If they repeat the BLT (or any of the other selections), then some people will complain about the lack of variety. If they change things up daily, then other people will complain that the item they want isn't served often enough.

Maybe over time they'll develop a menu of highly popular "everyday" sandwiches which will be accompanied by a rotating selection of other sandwiches.

I honestly didn't see a whole lot of variety on our last cruise. The super deli (or whatever it is called) was there daily.

The remaining were repeated about every three days I would guess (but my memory can be short).

Might work on a 7 day cruise but on a 33 day cruise? NOT!

If they are doing the premades to avoid human contamination having "sauces" on the side might be a problem.

Not if they're in individual packets. Easy. Ketchup, mustard, mayo, even vinegar, can all be placed in baskets next to the sandwiches.

I hate the pre made sandwiches. They are soggy. I do not want the mayo or mustard. I want to select my own combination.

But I bet there is no change because someone in the front office in Seattle made the decision and will not admit the decision was a bad one.