Pre-made Sandwiches in Lido

EDLOS

I did try one of those bread sandwiches Cathy (same cruise). Stupid thing fell apart -I think it had sat too long.

It was a wasted effort to get that thing. Those baguette things were pitiful in my opinion.

I loved our cruise. Everything was great - except for the dam sandwiches.

Come on HAL, some of us like sandwiches that are made RGHT and TO ORDER and toasted in the panini press.

What dork in Seattle thought this one up? The pre-makes were there before and the lineup for the made to orders should have told someone that some of us were willing to wait.

Email, write to Seattle if you care folks. If nothing else at least they will know that it means something to those that enjoyed it.

I live in Seattle and am willing to go to the HAL office with a picket sign. Maybe a protest would work!

I have tried the sandwiches and wasn't impressed. I do have to mention one GOOD thing I saw with the sandwich bags though. Back in April we sailed a Panama Canal cruise on the Zuiderdam and the chips were dumped into a basket with tongs. After watching numerous people just grab a hand full of chips we stayed away from them. On several occasions when the crew saw people doing this they took the baskets away completely. A couple of weeks ago we did an Alaskan cruise on the Westerdam. The chips had actually been put into the sandwich bags and you just grabbed a bag of chips. I am kind of turned off by the Lido because I see so much cross contamination going on. I've seen people grab food and I've even seen people take a cheese or fruit plate to their table, let it sit for the duration of their meal and then take it back and put it with the rest of the food. I think the Lido is a great alternative but I think it is time they took all food items away from people contaminating them.

Or, how about station a couple of people there to put together the sandwich YOU want - bread, protein, accoutrements, condiments all as chosen by the customer. What a concept!

Like formal nights, those days are gone, no matter how much they are missed by some.

Like formal nights, those days are gone, no matter how much they are missed by some.

Some things might actually come back. Remember "New" Coke? I don't think the pre-made sandwich idea was conceived so much to "save money" (I see people throwing away ENTIRE sandwiches) but more as a way to "save time". I know, I know, "time is money". It may save time but I don't think it is saving money.

Or, how about station a couple of people there to put together the sandwich YOU want - bread, protein, accoutrements, condiments all as chosen by the customer. What a concept!

So, basically Subway then? ;)

On my 19 day NA cruise in April I twice picked up sandwiches mid-afternoon after excursions. Both times I was hard pressed to find one I liked (and I'm an adventurous eater) and the rolls were really soggy from sitting so long. I ate a couple of bites of each just to tide me over to dinner. I did like having the potato chips, though.

On occasion I'd wander through the Lido on the way to the Sea View pool and seldom saw anyone taking sandwiches. Wouldn't surpise me if there is a lot of waste.

I vote for bring the panini/sandwich maker back.

So, basically Subway then? ;)

How long do you think a Subway franchise would survive if they only sold pre-made sandwiches, with mystery sauces allowed to soak in and make the bread soggy, and then allowed the sandwiches to sit out for a long period of time (I guess HAL figured sandwiches improve with aging). At least subway puts on a few slices of meat :)

Hank

On the Prinsendam in Norway and there is a sandwich station

Do they have both? When we were on her a few weeks ago I saw some packaged ones but did not look to see if they would make a fresh one. If I had known the emotion behind the topic I would have paid closer attention :p.

Do they have both? When we were on her a few weeks ago I saw some packaged ones but did not look to see if they would make a fresh one. If I had known the emotion behind the topic I would have paid closer attention :p.

If I hadn't read this thread, I probably would have totally ignored the sandwich situation on my upcoming cruise. Now, I will have to look, take photos, and try at least one, just so I can report back on this critical issue. ;)

If I hadn't read this thread, I probably would have totally ignored the sandwich situation on my upcoming cruise. Now, I will have to look, take photos, and try at least one, just so I can report back on this critical issue. ;)

Yes, please do sandwich in this investigation. ;)

I agree. I'm boarding the Veendam on Saturday. First thing I'll do is to evaluate the sandwich situation.

I've never had a sandwich while on HAL cruises, but I too will definitely have to try one so I too can make a report and give an unbiased opinion! 22 days until the VOV!

I've never had a sandwich while on HAL cruises, but I too will definitely have to try one so I too can make a report and give an unbiased opinion! 22 days until the VOV!

Try one about 2 or 3 in the afternoon and let us know how soggy it is.

Try one about 2 or 3 in the afternoon and let us know how soggy it is.

I believe HAL strictly follows the four hour rule - no food sits out more than four hours. Pretty much as long as it was when it was typical to send your kid's lunch to school with him/her. Or packing lunches at summer camp for hikes.

Staff people seem to know this 4 hour rule too, since they don't want anyone to get sick as it just creates a lot more work for them.

I once asked our MDR waiter if there were any left-over sweets from the afternoon Indonesian Tea- I am partial to those little green things filled with palm sugar. Our dinner waiter did a quick mental calculation about the time the Tea was over and reported, no they all would have been discarded by now.

Some people like to have sandwiches made the way they want it.

Some people like sandwich combinations that someone else came up with.

Some people will forage for ingredients to make some semblance of a sandwich.

Some people like to grab a sandwich and go.

Some people hate soggy sandwiches.

Some people have not encountered a soggy sandwich.

Some people want to eat what they eat at home.

Some people want to try something different.

A lot of people eat sandwiches while on a cruise!

Edited by Boytjie

Perfect, Peter!

Excellent summary, to which I would add:

Some people always see the glass as half empty and want to share their negativity with everyone else; and

Some people always see the glass as half full and want to share their positivity with everyone else.