Pre-made Sandwiches in Lido

EDLOS

Some people like to have sandwiches made the way they want it.

Some people like sandwich combinations that someone else came up with.

Some people will forage for ingredients to make some semblance of a sandwich.

Some people like to grab a sandwich and go.

Some people hate soggy sandwiches.

Some people have not encountered a soggy sandwich.

Some people want to eat what they eat at home.

Some people want to try something different.

A lot of people eat sandwiches while on a cruise!

I like Spam, but I hate bloody Vikings

Spam would actually be an improvement over some of the mystery meat found in pre made sandwiches :).

Hank

Don't knock spam, Hlitner, I ate lots of it during the Korean War. Discovered a taste for it I never thought possible. It's much like Hawaiian Ham when you put the two together in viewing and taste. Still, I didn't pay the big bucks to HAL to choke down spam in between port stops.

If I hadn't read this thread, I probably would have totally ignored the sandwich situation on my upcoming cruise. Now, I will have to look, take photos, and try at least one, just so I can report back on this critical issue. ;)

Ask for the spam one the ship calls Hawaiian Ham. They're so good you may skip dinner in the diner that night.

I've found the sandwiches to be very well labeled. Wasn't this the case on your cruise?

Agree, they were labeled and they also had a demo model cut in half at the counter for each one so you could see exactly what you were getting. No reason for anyone to go poking inside the prepared bags to see what was in them.

Agree, they were labeled and they also had a demo model cut in half at the counter for each one so you could see exactly what you were getting. No reason for anyone to go poking inside the prepared bags to see what was in them.

The NA in April didn't have any demo models. Might have been better if they had.

The NA in April didn't have any demo models. Might have been better if they had.

One more piece of evidence, as far as I am concerned, of the inconsistency of cruise product delivery across the HAL fleet!

This inconsistency of basic product delivery is the basis for what experienced HAL cruisers do not understand. What I experience on my cruise, be it aboard the Prinsendam, the Amsterdam, the Volendam, the Maasdam, the Zuiderdam, the Nieuw Amsterdam, or the Koningsdam, should be the same.

If it is not, then there is a corporate problem, I believe, that is not being addressed. Fleet-wide service standards are not being mandated, I think, and too much discretion is being left to the Senior Officials on each ship: the goal--stay within your budget for that voyage! And, do it however.

I hope I'm wrong. But, my experience tells me otherwise.

I was thinking how only with the introduction of the internet have topics such as this one even come to "light". I found aspects of cruising so much more fun/interesting when I boarded as a innocent passenger and just enjoyed what I experienced. However, I think that what I learn of a positive nature outweighs the complaints so I continue to read CC. (By complaints, I am not talking about things like folks lamenting the demise of the made to order sandwiches, at least on some ships, but all the whining that accompanies it in some posts. )

I too prefer made to order sandwiches and I would much prefer for them to reappear, but I also have enjoyed the ready made ones I have selected.

rkacruiser,

I totally agree with your assessment about each ship being handled differently, especially having a budget for each particular cruise. Providing benefits based on how much money was made on a particular sailing produces different experiences for passengers. HAL should offer a consistent product.

Not on the Noordam in March/April this year. I had one that was dreadful and soggy. Made my own after that.

I am very disappointed to hear about the pre-made sandwiches. Reminds me of the old cafeteria food or even the pre-made sandwiches you get in the airport. :( Much prefer fresh and custom made! The deli was one of my favorite stops in the lido. Luckily, there are lots of other options! :D

One more piece of evidence, as far as I am concerned, of the inconsistency of cruise product delivery across the HAL fleet!

This inconsistency of basic product delivery is the basis for what experienced HAL cruisers do not understand. What I experience on my cruise, be it aboard the Prinsendam, the Amsterdam, the Volendam, the Maasdam, the Zuiderdam, the Nieuw Amsterdam, or the Koningsdam, should be the same.

If it is not, then there is a corporate problem, I believe, that is not being addressed. Fleet-wide service standards are not being mandated, I think, and too much discretion is being left to the Senior Officials on each ship: the goal--stay within your budget for that voyage! And, do it however.

I hope I'm wrong. But, my experience tells me otherwise.

What is the prize for the best guess? Make it fun.

What I experience on my cruise, be it aboard the Prinsendam, the Amsterdam, the Volendam, the Maasdam, the Zuiderdam, the Nieuw Amsterdam, or the Koningsdam, should be the same.

If it is not, then there is a corporate problem

The ships and crews are different so why expect the exact same experience? Even McDonalds can't do that. The ships have different names for a reason. They are not "MS Clone"

Edited by kevingastreich

The ships and crews are different so why expect the exact same experience? Even McDonalds can't do that. The ships have different names for a reason. They are not "MS Clone"

The fun part of actually going to McDonalds in foreign countries is seeing what local variations they offer, but also to see how consistently they continue to offer their classic standards.

Durian milkshakes in Malaysia, green pea pies in China, curry turnovers in India ... yet they get my beloved fish sandwich, fries and coke exactly right everywhere. How do they do this? Sometimes when out traveling for long periods of time I just want a taste of "home".

The fun part of actually going to McDonalds in foreign countries is seeing what local variations they offer, but also to see how consistently they continue to offer their classic standards.

Durian milkshakes in Malaysia, green pea pies in China, curry turnovers in India ... yet they get my beloved fish sandwich, fries and coke exactly right everywhere. How do they do this? Sometimes when out traveling for long periods of time I just want a taste of "home".

Yes, I agree. Nothing wrong with some variation of experiences on a cruise from one ship to another. But, there are basic service standards that should be fleet-wide. HAL used to be able to do this. If McDonald's, as large of a company as they are, can do it, then why can't HAL?

Yes, I agree. Nothing wrong with some variation of experiences on a cruise from one ship to another. But, there are basic service standards that should be fleet-wide. HAL used to be able to do this. If McDonald's, as large of a company as they are, can do it, then why can't HAL?

I think is a lot of standard care level on all HAL ships. That is their virtue for us - they feel like "home" in decor, attitude, lay-out and format of options and service.

Details such as whether there is a display of the pre-made sandwiches or not, to me is a minor local variation; not a corporate consistency failure. They might have been just trying it out when we saw it, or did it informally in response to passenger requests on that particular ship. Maybe a request to the dining staff would get this done on other ships too.

If McDonald's, as large of a company as they are, can do it, then why can't HAL?

Even McDonalds can't always do it. We live in a 3 Mcdonalds town but I will only go to a certain one because the other two just aren't as good. tThe people are lacking as is the cleanliness. And would you believe, they are all owned by the same guy!

I think is a lot of standard care level on all HAL ships. That is their virtue for us - they feel like "home" in decor, attitude, lay-out and format of options and service.

Details such as whether there is a display of the pre-made sandwiches or not, to me is a minor local variation; not a corporate consistency failure. They might have been just trying it out when we saw it, or did it informally in response to passenger requests on that particular ship. Maybe a request to the dining staff would get this done on other ships too.

I think what we experience, or not, on a cruise is driven by the specific budget for that cruise.

WCB's posts when the 2016 World Cruise ended and they continued on the re-positioning to the West Coast helped me to believe that differing budgets for a cruise is at least partly responsible for different cruising experiences.

Made-to-order sandwiches illustrate this: On the World Cruise, they were available. Once the World Cruise was over, this option "disappeared" and the crew member was assigned a different duty.

What made the difference in the availability of this amenity?

My explanation: it is in the interest of the Senior Officers aboard the ship to stay within their budget for that cruise. This is true for all Departments and not just the Hotel Department.

Edited by rkacruiser

42 Day Tales of the South Pacific had lots of sea days with no port docking fees- that can make a difference per cruise budgeting. Recent 29 day Zuiderdam Scotland/Baltics was port, port, port. Just the opposite- heavy docking fees but shorter distances traveled so fuel costs smaller.

Hard to know how Seattle makes this all come out: stay competitive and not materially degrade the product. I suspect this is a constantly moving target with many hits and misses along the way. Glad my only job it to just enjoy where HAL takes me and let them worry about their bottom-line.

Edited by OlsSalt