Pre-made Sandwiches in Lido

EDLOS

I guess it would be near impossible to cater to every possible dietary issue with pre-made sandwiches in the Lido; gluten-free, vegan and lactose intolerant etc. - how many variations of a sandwich would they have to make just in case someone may need one particular version. I am sure if you needed something a certain way they would be more than happy to accommodate you even in the Lido.

All the more reason to not shut down the "made to order"!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A lot of new things? Wow,, we are excited. So please tell us what is new?

Hank

Asian bowls, better pizza, custom pasta, small plates, expanded sushi, faster salad bars, better Dive In, open buffet line access to self-serve potato chips, and even BBQ chips one day (Yea!!!) .......... those are some of the --changes-- we have observed. Good riddance to the panini press. But I hope they do bring back the custom sandwiches, because obviously you like them and so do a lot of others. Keep working on that.

I thought the pre made were really nice. But sandwiches are not really what I want on a holiday. I took sandwiches to school every day for thirteen years and then made sandwiches every day for my kids for many years, as we do here.

I loved all the other choices and only grabbed a sandwich when I was really rushed. But then thought it was really nice.

I can see your point where a premade sandwich certainly decreases your options u der the circumstances, but if you have to restrict food for health reasons, then discuss with ship ahead of time for an altered diet. There are plenty of alternatives to sandwiches.....or bring your own bread and request fixings....again, ahead of time. Of course, if you get fresh fixings, you will be the envy of this thread's readership.

Personally, I am happy with seven days of no cooking for myself, plenty of alternatives to my food sensitivities, and an adventure at any meal.

I've never had to put in a "health issue" request with HAL. I just can't eat certain types of breads with a lot of grains and seeds. Until the pre made sandwiches came into existence, it was never an issue.

Of course, not cooking or cleaning up is nice :). That's why we are on a cruise ;)

With 30 days on board, it's nice to have a choice - that includes sandwiches for those of us that enjoy them. One of the nice things about HAL was the panini press and sandwiches made to order. I got by as I said. I ripped apart a sandwich and made my own.

I guess it would be near impossible to cater to every possible dietary issue with pre-made sandwiches in the Lido; gluten-free, vegan and lactose intolerant etc. - how many variations of a sandwich would they have to make just in case someone may need one particular version. I am sure if you needed something a certain way they would be more than happy to accommodate you even in the Lido.

I couldn't find anyone at the sandwich bar to ask last time Peter, and, I kept thinking the choices would change. Next time if I don't see anyone I will ask one of the Lido managers ;)

Asian bowls, better pizza, custom pasta, small plates, expanded sushi, faster salad bars, better Dive In, open buffet line access to self-serve potato chips, and even BBQ chips one day (Yea!!!) .......... those are some of the --changes-- we have observed. Good riddance to the panini press. But I hope they do bring back the custom sandwiches, because obviously you like them and so do a lot of others. Keep working on that.

On recent MAASDAM, the so called pizza was made with CHEDDAR cheese. I questioned why not typical Italian Cheeses and was told by the attendant, those are my orders

I thought the pre made were really nice. But sandwiches are not really what I want on a holiday. I took sandwiches to school every day for thirteen years and then made sandwiches every day for my kids for many years, as we do here.

I loved all the other choices and only grabbed a sandwich when I was really rushed. But then thought it was really nice.

I'm glad you have other choices. My choice is for a nice club sandwich from time to time - something I don't make at home, and something that never showed up in the pre-made stuff.

Are you saying that because you liked the pre-mades I should also?

No one is forcing anyvody to eat a custom made (or pre-made, for that matter) sandwich. But so of us would like the option. Is that so wrong?

... Are you saying that because you liked the pre-mades I should also?

No one is forcing anyvody to eat a custom made (or pre-made, for that matter) sandwich. But so of us would like the option. Is that so wrong?

Huh??? I must have missed something in Karennella's post, as I did not read it to be anything but an expression of her sandwich preference and certainly not a condemnation of anyone else's choices, much less a suggestion as to what others should like or want ...

On recent MAASDAM, the so called pizza was made with CHEDDAR cheese. I questioned why not typical Italian Cheeses and was told by the attendant, those are my orders

Agree, it was made with cheddar cheese. But the crust was great and it was still a very tasty snack with multiple varieties of toppings. Just call it "Pizza Melt" and one can get past the neon orange color. (Joke)

Edited by OlsSalt

HAL has long had the worst pizza at sea (we say this having eaten pizza on more then 12 cruise lines) and had hoped that the change-over to the Market Place concept would result in eatable pizza. If what you say is true, then that is a sad commentary on HAL's planning since it is not very difficult to make decent pizza. Very strange that they would use Cheddar since using the proper cheese (whole milk Mozzarella is best although many use part skim) does not involve extra cost.

We have long begged HAL (in our after cruise evaluations) to send their staff over to their Princess cousins to learn how to make real pizza :). Princess arguably has the best pizza at sea...although Celebrity is now darn close.

Hank

HAL has long had the worst pizza at sea (we say this having eaten pizza on more then 12 cruise lines) and had hoped that the change-over to the Market Place concept would result in eatable pizza. If what you say is true, then that is a sad commentary on HAL's planning since it is not very difficult to make decent pizza. Very strange that they would use Cheddar since using the proper cheese (whole milk Mozzarella is best although many use part skim) does not involve extra cost.

We have long begged HAL (in our after cruise evaluations) to send their staff over to their Princess cousins to learn how to make real pizza :). Princess arguably has the best pizza at sea...although Celebrity is now darn close.

Hank

See above - the recent "cheddar" pizza on the Zuiderdam was actually pretty good, if unconventional. The crust was perfect, the toppings good and the cheddar gave it a pleasing tang. Not sure why they don't/won't use mozzarella but it still is a very satisfying snack. I had it often and even two slices on my last day.

Which category of room has toasters? I've never had one in my stateroom and have been in verandas mostly and once in a Neptune suite.

There is only a toaster in the Neptune Lounge (not the suites) and in the Pinnacle Suite to the best of my knowledge.

I'm glad you have other choices. My choice is for a nice club sandwich from time to time - something I don't make at home, and something that never showed up in the pre-made stuff.

Are you saying that because you liked the pre-mades I should also?

Room service club sandwich remains a favorite and must have at least once on any HAL ship. Dine in for your club sandwich if you can no longer dine out to get one.

Really hope Seattle will get the message. I want an individually made sandwich because I don't like a lot of extra stuff I won't eat on it. Also want choice of bread; toasted not toasted. I never had to wait in a long line to get a sandwich even at the busiest lunch time. PLEASE DONT DO AWAY WITH FRESHLY MADE SANDWICHES!!

On our Oosterdam cruise last October there was the pre-made sandwiches AND the made to order sandwich station. The best of both worlds. That seems like an INCREASE in service, not a decrease like so many people seem to be complaining about.

I am sure if you needed something a certain way they would be more than happy to accommodate you even in the Lido.

Based on how I saw the operation on the Nieuw Amsterdam, I'm not so sure "they" would.

First, there is no one at the sandwich stand to help you. You would have to find someone (easily enough accomplished), then that person would have to be taken off his regular duties.

Just getting someone to get me two pieces of white bread (it's not stocked at lunch on the bread/rolls stand) takes him away for about 5 minutes while he runs down to the supply area to get it.

Next, the ingredients you want would have to be readily available, and they just aren't out. There is no selection of deli meats, sliced cheeses, condiments, and toppings.

Then, should you want it toasted, the appliance formerly used to do that is gone.

See above - the recent "cheddar" pizza on the Zuiderdam was actually pretty good, if unconventional. The crust was perfect, the toppings good and the cheddar gave it a pleasing tang. Not sure why they don't/won't use mozzarella but it still is a very satisfying snack. I had it often and even two slices on my last day.

I just wonder if HAL were to serve Horsemeat burgers...would you say, "its unconventional but perfectly cooked?" Or if they make cheesecake without cheese would you also say its unconventional?

One can hope that maybe they were using cheddar because they had a shortage of Mozzarella on that particular voyage (shortages do happen from time to time). Am looking forward to seeing how they make it on the Zuiderdam.

Hank

We thought the pre made sandwich station was great. Best part is they are packed up in a nice travel bag to take anywhere. So convenient.

But you are not allowed to take food (other than prepackaged things like granola bars) off the ship in many ports! I hope that these pre-made, wrapped sandwiches do not encourage people to take them off the ship illegally! :eek:

I am still just so disgusted that they pre-apply a spread of some sort to every sandwich. I may be the only person who hates sauce of any sort, but even Subway will make it for me that way.

I agree...and add in the tomato and other wet-based items, it makes for a very soggy sandwich. For me, there is just not enough filling to make up for the amount of bread offered. I was able to make my own sandwich on several occasions. But some sandwiches just need TOAST to make it better!! And that, sadly, is not offered.

I just wonder if HAL were to serve Horsemeat burgers...would you say, "its unconventional but perfectly cooked?" Or if they make cheesecake without cheese would you also say its unconventional?

One can hope that maybe they were using cheddar because they had a shortage of Mozzarella on that particular voyage (shortages do happen from time to time). Am looking forward to seeing how they make it on the Zuiderdam.

Hank

Just call it Cheatzza and enjoy it. Perfectly cooked.

Plus only Vero certified Neapolitan pizzerias are supposed to use the term "real" pizza anyway and you actually might not like the real thing -a lot wetter in the middle and often with even less cheese than what HAL puts out. Check out VPN Americas to learn everything you need to know about the "true" pizza: http://americas.pizzanapoletana.org

Edited by OlsSalt

I am still just so disgusted that they pre-apply a spread of some sort to every sandwich. I may be the only person who hates sauce of any sort, but even Subway will make it for me that way.

... appears as though you have 2 options: either convince HAL to contract its sandwich operation to Subway, or convince Subway to get into the cruise business ... just joking, of course!!! :)

Here is the last "official" word about pizza from the organization that controls the certification of "true Neapolitan pizza".

(No pepperoni, no veggies, no salami, no true pizza.)

Article 1 ‐ Description of the Product

The use of and recognition of the typical product “Verace Pizza Napoletana” is limited to two types of Pizza produced according to the guidelines outlined below:

- ‘Pizza Marinara’ (tomato, oil, oregano, and garlic)

- ‘Pizza Margherita’ (tomato, oil, mozzarella or fior di latte, grated cheese, and basil)

Ingredients, preparation, and characteristics of the final product must conform strictly to the Disciplinare rules in order to meet the required characteristics.

The “Verace Pizza Napoletana” is made from a base of risen dough and cooked in a wood fire oven. Typical ingredients and traditional techniques of production characterize the product.

The final product “Verace Pizza Napoletana” should be as follows:

The consistency of the pizza should be soft, elastic, and easy to manipulate and fold.

The center should be particularly soft to the touch and the taste and appearance of the pizza must be evidenced by the red color of the tomato.

For the Pizza Marinara, the green of the oregano and the white of the garlic must be homogeneously spread, while, in the case of the Pizza Margherita, the white of the mozzarella should appear in evenly spread patches, in contrast with the green of the basil leaves, slightly darkened by the cooking process.

The crust should possess the flavor of well-baked bread.

The slightly acidic flavor of the densely enriched tomatoes, mixed with the characteristic aroma of the oregano, garlic or basil ensures that the pizza, as it comes out from the oven, delivers its characteristic aroma of a fresh and fragrant typical Mediterranean product.

Hank

Ahaa! Accoding to HAL : picture a Pork Chop they call Prime Rib or Peas they call Carrots

HAL can say it is a Pizza, but Cheddar Cheese on top of Crust is not a PIZZA (Open face grilled cheese ?)