Pre-made Sandwiches in Lido

EDLOS

Ahaa! Accoding to HAL : picture a Pork Chop they call Prime Rib or Peas they call Carrots

HAL can say it is a Pizza, but Cheddar Cheese on top of Crust is not a PIZZA (Open face grilled cheese ?)

Actually, even if it were made with mozzarella, if not impeccably spaced across the top with nothing else other than "grated cheese" (of no definition) it can't be called pizza either. (See vera pizza definitions above).

Edited by OlsSalt

Just call it Cheatzza and enjoy it. Perfectly cooked.

Plus only Vero certified Neapolitan pizzerias are supposed to use the term "real" pizza anyway and you actually might not like the real thing -a lot wetter in the middle and often with even less cheese than what HAL puts out. Check out VPN Americas to learn everything you need to know about the "true" pizza: http://americas.pizzanapoletana.org

Don't even get me started on the Pizza topic :). Everyone knows that the only real pizza is what you get in NYC! That being said, the original pizza is from Naples, Italy....and we have had more then our share of pizza in various places in that city including L'Antica Pizzeria da Michele (which some think has the best pizza in the world). And guess what, nobody used cheddar cheese. Not even sure they have cheddar cheese in Italy :).

Hank

Don't even get me started on the Pizza topic :). Everyone knows that the only real pizza is what you get in NYC! That being said, the original pizza is from Naples, Italy....and we have had more then our share of pizza in various places in that city including L'Antica Pizzeria da Michele (which some think has the best pizza in the world). And guess what, nobody used cheddar cheese. Not even sure they have cheddar cheese in Italy :).

Hank

The best pizza comes from Naples, hands down...NYC...please :p

Could the pizza people kindly start their own thread?

Thank you.

No, we are hijacking this one:p.

And just to be specific, it comes from Antica Pizzeria Di Matteo.

Edited by KirkNC

So here is the issue with sandwiches. HAL now puts out 4 or 5 pre-made sandwiches and some folks like them and so do not! Previously, they would custom make sandwiches which meant instead of 4 or 5 options,.,,you literally had hundreds of options (since you could mix and match). When you go from lots of options to only a few...that is a major reduction in options...and a major cut-back. No different then taking a 4 person chamber group (Rosario Strings) and reducing it to a less skilled violin/piano duo. HAL Cheerleaders try to rationalize and call it a good thing, but most of us know the truth.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Could the pizza people kindly start their own thread?

Thank you.

Isn't pizza just kinda like a flat sandwich? Bread, cheese, meat... ;)

BTW, we have one of those "true pizza" certified places in our town and it is fantastic!

So here is the issue with sandwiches. HAL now puts out 4 or 5 pre-made sandwiches and some folks like them and so do not! Previously, they would custom make sandwiches which meant instead of 4 or 5 options,.,,you literally had hundreds of options (since you could mix and match). When you go from lots of options to only a few...that is a major reduction in options...and a major cut-back. No different then taking a 4 person chamber group (Rosario Strings) and reducing it to a less skilled violin/piano duo. HAL Cheerleaders try to rationalize and call it a good thing, but most of us know the truth.

Hank

We have had some outstanding 2 person Adagio combos - the ones on the last Zuiderdam packed the house every night. And we have had some prior sad little groups of shy young ladies sawing away when it was the original four Adagio strings.

Not sure your sweeping generalization to the contrary hold up to general experience, but certainly it does to the exception. Occasionally some clinker two-person combos too.

Sorry, reporting the facts is not "cheerleading". I taught Elder Hostel opera appreciation classes for five years, so I have a pretty good ear for classical music.

We have had some outstanding 2 person Adagio combos - the ones on the last Zuiderdam packed the house every night. And we have had some prior sad little groups of shy young ladies sawing away when it was the original four Adagio strings.

Not sure your sweeping generalization to the contrary hold up to general experience, but certainly it does to the exception. Occasionally some clinker two-person combos too.

Sorry, reporting the facts is not "cheerleading". I taught Elder Hostel opera appreciation classes for five years, so I have a pretty good ear for classical music.

We have also had some decent duos (the Adagio due on the Prinsendam was excellent) but mostly had mediocre to awful duos on our cruises. But none of this compared to the old Rosario Strings that used to be part of HAL. On the plus side...we have seen improvement in the quality of the singers and dancers on our last few cruises...but they were hobbled with so-so show scripts/songs and pre-recorded sound tracks. When a professional singer has to perform to a prerecorded sound track....it is akin to high class Karaoke. I guess we are showing our age...because we still prefer to hear live music. We wonder when they will decide to substitute a move screen with pre recorded singers and dancers (called a movie).

In fairness to HAL, the entertainment cut-backs have happened on some other lines. On the other hand, some lines like RCI and Norwegian have worked hard to improve entertainment (RCI now does Broadway style productions on their larger vessels).

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

HAL Cheerleaders try to rationalize and call it a good thing, but most of us know the truth.

Truth is I enjoy my pre-made sandwiches... so my truth vs yours! ;)

The HAL Cheerleader tag is tossed around for anything these days! Many of those asking for sandwiches made per request would be labled cheerleaders on other things. :D

Edited by Boytjie

Several posters have indicated on this thread that they have "complained" about the offerings while aboard the ship. That is the wise thing to do and not wait for the end of cruise survey or write a letter to Mr. Ashford.

But, I wonder, to whom do you make your comments? The person in charge of such issues is ultimately the Culinary Operations Manager. That person answers to the Hotel Director. Speaking with the COM may be helpful. Depending upon how far "up the chain of command" one wants to go, the Guest Relations Manager may help or may assist in getting a meeting with the Hotel Director.

Pizza is not pizza with Cheddar and pre-made sandwiches are not as good as sandwiches of your choice.

Unless you really enjoy the pre-made sandwich you selected! :D

Now in New York you can get pizza with Italian cheese and ZITI on it. :eek: I may opt for that slice of cheddar pizza instead. ;)

Several posters have indicated on this thread that they have "complained" about the offerings while aboard the ship. That is the wise thing to do and not wait for the end of cruise survey or write a letter to Mr. Ashford.

But, I wonder, to whom do you make your comments? The person in charge of such issues is ultimately the Culinary Operations Manager. That person answers to the Hotel Director. Speaking with the COM may be helpful. Depending upon how far "up the chain of command" one wants to go, the Guest Relations Manager may help or may assist in getting a meeting with the Hotel Director.

Sounds like all such decisions are made in Seattle - there is virtually no local control to make a major change like that.

Agree, put it on the passenger survey you get at the end of the cruise. We have been surprised when we see changes that we noted, which means other have also made the same suggestions obviously to the point that Seattle thought it best to respond.

Or maybe it is just coincidence. Always pays to make these points made, particularly when there appear to be many who want the return of the custom sandwich bar.

Pizza is not pizza with Cheddar and pre-made sandwiches are not as good as sandwiches of your choice.

Though we agreed several posting ago - it is Cheatzza, not pizza. And it is pretty good for what it is. And glows in the dark if you need a night light.

As I posted earlier and on my LIVE thread, I spoke to the Hotel Director (Hotel Manager?) directly. He agreed that some combinations were not palatable to a number and said sadly, it was in Seattle's hands and to let Seattle know we wanted our made to order sandwiches back.

The topic was raised simply because he was talking about our live thread. Captain Van Eerten was there as well for the conversation, so I don't think you can go any higher than that on the ship.

It is in Seattle's hands pure and simple. If you want made to order sandwiches, let them know.

As I posted earlier and on my LIVE thread, I spoke to the Hotel Director (Hotel Manager?) directly. He agreed that some combinations were not palatable to a number and said sadly, it was in Seattle's hands and to let Seattle know we wanted our made to order sandwiches back.

The topic was raised simply because he was talking about our live thread. Captain Van Eerten was there as well for the conversation, so I don't think you can go any higher than that on the ship.

It is in Seattle's hands pure and simple. If you want made to order sandwiches, let them know.

I certainly agree with you that one cannot go any higher up the chain of command that the Hotel Director and the Captain. And, knowing how guest-oriented Captain van Eeerten is, he would be sympathetic.

The puzzling thing about this issue for me is that made-to-order sandwiches still seems to exist on some of the ships and not on others. If this is so, it is a ship-specific issue and that may relate to the Senior Officials interest in staying within their budget.

I ended up taking a pre-made sandwich, taking it apart and making a new one with a roll. What a waste of food. Our Hotel Director agreed (I posted on my live thread and he was reading ;)). It's a directive from Seattle, not a ship choice.

So, if you want choice, the best thing to do is to let Seattle know IMO.

It's good to do that, sure, but better still is to make a video of your own personal sandwich station, showing how much stuff you have to grab and how you make your sandwich and post it to YouTube. Then you can post the link here and also to HAL's social media accounts. ;):)

The puzzling thing about this issue for me is that made-to-order sandwiches still seems to exist on some of the ships and not on others. If this is so, it is a ship-specific issue and that may relate to the Senior Officials interest in staying within their budget.

The "made-to-order" sandwiches still existed on AMDM during her Jan-May 2016 grand world voyage but, I believe, were taken away for the current Alaska season. I'm another one who hates to see them go