Pre-made Sandwiches in Lido

EDLOS

Just a small point -not everyone can eat the breads that they choose to put the sandwiches in. The lack of choice for breads means that there will be waste for anyone with diverticulitis or other dietary issues.

We get our cabin steward to keep our fruit bowl full of fresh oranges. Done with this issue now. Eating a whole orange is actually very satisfying and not that hard to peel at all.

I really enjoy fresh oranges.. :) Would I still be able to take a small sharp peeling knife with the blade covered in my hand luggage on board? We drive to the port.. Those HAL knives don't "cut it"..LOL

I really enjoy fresh oranges.. :) Would I still be able to take a small sharp peeling knife with the blade covered in my hand luggage on board? We drive to the port.. Those HAL knives don't "cut it"..LOL

You might want to consider an orange peeler. I have one like the one below, and it works beautifully, but there are other designs available:

orange-peeler._tupperware-orange-peeler-buy1-get1-free.jpg

Just a small point -not everyone can eat the breads that they choose to put the sandwiches in. The lack of choice for breads means that there will be waste for anyone with diverticulitis or other dietary issues.

People with dietary issues are well taken care of on HAL.

Looks like I'm in the minority here, but I've had some very tasty pre-made sandwiches. If I didn't see something that appealed, I'd make my own as others have said, going to a few different stations.

I agree with you. I've found them to be quite tasty, and none of them have been soggy.

I used the regular dinner knife that comes with the fruit bowl and had no problems - depending how one cuts their oranges.

I am of the school that runs a shallow ring off the top and then makes vertical cuts down the peel every inch or so around the orange. Then peel those pre-sliced rind sections back like flower petals.

That little orange peeler the following poster suggested also works perfectly for this process. Though some like to cut a spiral instead of the flower petal cuts.

Not all of the cabin oranges were "sweet and delicious" but they were good enough and still full of all the fiber and fresh nutrients that get lost, even when squeezing it fresh for juice.

I think most ships have great alternatives to sandwiches and bread. I love the thought of those small plates. Let's call them tapas and think of ourselves back in Spain.

I am having a hard time, though, accepting that not everyone butters both sides of a sandwich before adding the mustard or mayo. Not sure whether it is a holdover when Canada was still considered a British colony or being raise in a family where bread was just a vehicle to get butter to mouth. Is everything better with butter?

Really hope Seattle will get the message. I want an individually made sandwich because I don't like a lot of extra stuff I won't eat on it. Also want choice of bread; toasted not toasted. I never had to wait in a long line to get a sandwich even at the busiest lunch time. PLEASE DONT DO AWAY WITH FRESHLY MADE SANDWICHES!!

In the MDR yes absolutely.

But when it comes to pre-made sandwiches they are not.Before when you could choose your bread, condiments, etc., all was good.

We don't disagree often,but on this I guess we do.

Really hope Seattle will get the message. I want an individually made sandwich because I don't like a lot of extra stuff I won't eat on it. Also want choice of bread; toasted not toasted. I never had to wait in a long line to get a sandwich even at the busiest lunch time. PLEASE DONT DO AWAY WITH FRESHLY MADE SANDWICHES!!

On our recent Prinsendam cruise (April) we had both the new pre made sandwiches and the last voyage with the custom made sandwiches. I tried several of the pre-mades and thought they were OK. Not combinations I would normally order...but OK. But DW is picky with her sandwiches and does not like a lot of "stuff." She could not find a single pre-made that she would eat....although her normal HAL lunch is a custom made sandwich. So in a few weeks we will be on the Zuiderdam...and DW will be unable to have any sandwiches...because the pre-mades are not what she likes. The one exception is the pre-made BLT...except it is on white bread....and DW says a real BLT must be on toast :).

One of the pre mades that had I tried was on a whole wheat roll. I liked what was in the sandwich...but do not like whole wheat rolls! With the old sandwich bar I can tell the sandwich maker what type of bread, which meats, other stuff, toppings, etc. We are wondering if this will soon be the HAL breakfast at the Lido. You go to get eggs, and they have a prune/fig/garbage omelet. And that is only Omelet...so you either eat it or no omelet. So then perhaps you want 2 eggs over easy...but today they only have eggs over hard!

Where does it end. When you take away choice options...you are essentially "cutting back" which is exactly what HAL is doing with food, entertainment, service, etc. We think its a huge mistake and will gradually drive folks away from HAL to other lines (in which case we will be able to grab some more amazing last minute bargains). As we said in another post, all these cut backs are a slippery slope that leads to death spiral (for the cruise line).

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Your appeal is too late. The custom made fresh sandwiches are gone!

Hank

I have not sailed recently on the Veendam, but I can say from experience, fresh squeezed OJ definitely does not exist on either the Prinsendam or the Amsterdam. On the Amsterdam, when I mentioned to a crew member wearing a chef's hat in the lido, that I missed the freshOJ, he answered "Oh, we still squeeze it fresh, just on a deck below. I simply handed him a glass of what was available and said "Please taste this and try to repeat your statement. He declined to do so.

Perhaps he didn't like orange juice. Perhaps he is allergic to it. Perhaps he doesn't know what it should taste like. Perhaps the rules of hygiene prohibit him from doing so -- in many commercial kitchens, if the food/drink has left the kitchen it must be thrown away.

Just because he would not, or could not, taste your offered glass does not prove that's not fresh squeezed. Any more than others' argument that fresh squeezed orange juice does not separate do.

Where does it end. When you take away choice options...you are essentially "cutting back" which is exactly what HAL is doing with food, entertainment, service, etc. We think its a huge mistake and will gradually drive folks away from HAL to other lines (in which case we will be able to grab some more amazing last minute bargains). As we said in another post, all these cut backs are a slippery slope that leads to death spiral (for the cruise line).

Hank

They added a lot of new things. So the loss of some things allowed the addition of other things that people like too. But I would guess with enough complaints about the pre-made sandwiches they just might bring them back; but what new things will they then have to cut?

You might want to consider an orange peeler. I have one like the one below, and it works beautifully, but there are other designs available:

orange-peeler._tupperware-orange-peeler-buy1-get1-free.jpg

Hey you are so right & also so smart..:D

I've got two of those that I completely forgot about..Hooray:D:D...Just put it on my list..

Thanks loads!

P.S. Forgot they came from Tupperware..Used to use them at work all the time:)

Edited by serendipity1499

But when it comes to pre-made sandwiches they are not.Before when you could choose your bread, condiments, etc., all was good.

I can see your point where a premade sandwich certainly decreases your options u der the circumstances, but if you have to restrict food for health reasons, then discuss with ship ahead of time for an altered diet. There are plenty of alternatives to sandwiches.....or bring your own bread and request fixings....again, ahead of time. Of course, if you get fresh fixings, you will be the envy of this thread's readership.

Personally, I am happy with seven days of no cooking for myself, plenty of alternatives to my food sensitivities, and an adventure at any meal.

Yes, and you put crazy stuff on it like sprinkles (AKA 'hagelslag ')! :D

DETA1-1208.jpg

Grew up with those bad boys! ;) There is a long-time and well known 'sandwich shop" in central Amsterdam called "Broodje van Kootje" (Kootje's bread) Can't miss it when in A'dam :)

Then there is the cookie sandwich. Buttered white bread with speculaas cookie as a filling. I think that's why you can now buy it in spread form. Quite delicious.

And you're right on about Broodje van Kootje. Don't miss it if you are in the neighbourhood.

Edited by OVgirl

HAL gets out of the food business........The Lido is a Food Court..... A Subway Station...Papa John's Pizza.....MacDonald's......KFC....... Taco Bell....... Pick Pockets......

MDR.....Outback Steak House.....Olive Garden......Ruby Tuesday

Don't laugh !

Keep in mind that fresh sliced oranges are available on the MDR and Room Service Breakfast menu.

Do they provide a self-serve squeezer so you can make fresh OJ :). But seriously, on our recent P'Dam cruise they did have excellent fresh squeezed OJ in the MDR at breakfast. But it was not available in the Lido (even when we asked).

Hnak

I'm pleased that some of you enjoy (or, at least, eat) the pre-made sandwiches. I've no desire to see them taken away. A small selection of them should be available.

But that doesn't mean the custom made sandwich station couldn't be reinstated!

Please don't try to convince those of us who bemoan the loss. No matter what you say about the pre-mades, it really isn't the same, not even close. Especially for those of us who have food allergies, or consider ourselves sandwich aficionados, the pre-mades will never replace our carefully constructed custom built sandwiches. Not now. Not ever.

They added a lot of new things. So the loss of some things allowed the addition of other things that people like too. But I would guess with enough complaints about the pre-made sandwiches they just might bring them back; but what new things will they then have to cut?

A lot of new things? Wow,, we are excited. So please tell us what is new?

Hank

I am having a hard time, though, accepting that not everyone butters both sides of a sandwich before adding the mustard or mayo. Not sure whether it is a holdover when Canada was still considered a British colony or being raise in a family where bread was just a vehicle to get butter to mouth. Is everything better with butter?

I think it is a Commonwealth thing! Apparently some Europeans do it too.

Everything is better with butter! :D

butter_postcard-r2a3dd7809dbf48a7ae4fa2b71286c470_vgbaq_8byvr_324.jpg

20130912-073521.jpg

Edited by Boytjie

I guess it would be near impossible to cater to every possible dietary issue with pre-made sandwiches in the Lido; gluten-free, vegan and lactose intolerant etc. - how many variations of a sandwich would they have to make just in case someone may need one particular version. I am sure if you needed something a certain way they would be more than happy to accommodate you even in the Lido.