Pre-made Sandwiches in Lido

EDLOS

Regarding sandwiches on board there are three types of passengers:

1) Those who never eat sandwiches;

2) Those who are quite happy with the pre-made sandwiches; and

3) Those who wish a return of the custom-made sandwich station.

Now no one in group #3 has said that anyone would be forced to eat a sandwich. No one in group #3 has suggested removing the pre-made "grab & go" sandwiches.

So why do those in groups 1 & 2 wish to impose their beliefs on group #3?

As someone in group 2 I don't recall saying there should be no made-by-request sandwiches. ;)

Now no one in group #3 has said that anyone would be forced to eat a sandwich. No one in group #3 has suggested removing the pre-made "grab & go" sandwiches.

And those who eat sandwiches at home but prefer something we can't/don't make at home when there are so many choices on a cruise. ;)

I have never eaten a sandwich on a cruise, it just doesn't appeal to me. BUT to each their own. I don't expect everyone to care about the things that matter to me (such as the wine policy and wrap around deck) either.

There are a lot of entitled people out there who are incredibly self centered.

Lots of other alternatives on a cruise ship. Last time we did not bother with a sandwich station. Just took a roll, got some meat from the hot food area, some salad, and away we went. We would not even think about moaning and groaning about something so minor. Especially given the other food choices that are available.

Is it possible to get a simple BLT on toast? How about a basic corn beef on rye with some mustard?

Hank

Shudder - please don't remind me of the hot lettuce, panini press squished BLT I got at the last HAL "custom made" sandwich bar I experienced. First and last. You really don't want a BLT if that is the best they could offer.

Don't forget group #4. Those who are now going to pack and bring their own lunch! :p

I'm still not sure where I stand on this issue. My first HAL cruise is in a couple of weeks.

On previous cruises on Princess, I never ate sandwiches from the buffet. They had pre-made sandwiches wrapped in plastic that never seemed appealing to me. I think my husband had them a couple of times, but he's not a picky eater. I would sometimes get little, pre-made sandwiches from the International Cafe, but they were very fresh, never soggy, and there was a good variety of choices. They made good mid-afternoon snacks.

From what I've read, there aren't many food options mid-afternoon on HAL since the buffet closes between meals. If the pre-made sandwiches are available then, I might consider them, but they might be too large for a "snack". Maybe share one with my husband.

I don't mind the idea of a made-to-order sandwich station for those that want it. I would be unlikely to use it myself, since there are so many other options, so I won't miss it if it's not there. I don't see why HAL can't do both. Have one crew member making sandwiches, with the option of grabbing a pre-made one if you don't want to wait.

As someone in group 2 I don't recall saying there should be no made-by-request sandwiches. ;)

However, a few have been quite dismissive of the idea that those who do want made to order should have the option returned.

Lots of other alternatives on a cruise ship. Last time we did not bother with a sandwich station. Just took a roll, got some meat from the hot food area, some salad, and away we went. We would not even think about moaning and groaning about something so minor. Especially given the other food choices that are available.

Good. Don't moan and groan about it, then. But don't begrudge those who see this as just one more standards-lowering change by HAL. Oh, wait, you're one who often goes on about the lowering of the standards, aren't you?

Ok, so lets assume that HAL only had TV dinners in the MDR at dinner time. You would probably say "there are lots of entitled people out there who are self-centered" and happily munch your TV dinner? Of course you would still have "lots of alternatives" such as ordering a cold club sandwich from room service :). I guess there is some logic to what you say...although we sure do not see it.

Hank

Some say HAL monitors CC and logic would be that they would. Regardless of how this topic impacts us, I would say a thread that has almost 300 post and more importantly over 15,000 views would indicate to me that it is of some significance to quite a few people. If I was in HAL's management, I would pay attention to that.

Some say HAL monitors CC and logic would be that they would. Regardless of how this topic impacts us, I would say a thread that has almost 300 post and more importantly over 15,000 views would indicate to me that it is of some significance to quite a few people. If I was in HAL's management, I would pay attention to that.

But it's not over 15,000 unique page views. I get an email everytime someone posts to this thread and dozens of those views are by me.

Also, many of those almost 300 posts are by the same people.

Edited by cavecreekguy

But it's not over 15,000 unique page views. I get an email everytime someone posts to this thread and dozens of those views are by me.

Yes, only 75 members have actually posted, with OlsSalt and Hlitner leading the pack with 29 and 25 posts each respectively. Considering that many of those 75 aren't particularly seized by the issue one way or another, that's leaves a pretty small group trying to convince HAL to revert to the personalized sandwiches.

Yes, only 75 members have actually posted, with OlsSalt and Hlitner leading the pack with 29 and 25 posts each respectively. Considering that many of those 75 aren't particularly seized by the issue one way or another, that's leaves a pretty small group trying to convince HAL to revert to the personalized sandwiches.

Obviously I need to find something better to do with my time. Guess I'll just have to go cruising again. Score me neutral on the topic. But I do get my back up when I sense unjust accusations against HAL itself for making changes -- OMG, I guess that makes me a cheer-leader.

Edited by OlsSalt

An email notice doesn't constitute a view . Of course some are viewing this thread, but 15,000 views does not account for the few posting.

Frankly, with comments like people thinking they are special, or entitled or selfish or whatever the correct term was, etc. I can't blame some for not posting. I wonder if the same comment would be made if the Asian spot disappeared or other things?

But, I do think that the views are relatively significant given that some might be watching the thread and clicking on it,that's still a lot of views and I don't think the posters here account for them all ;)

I have followed this thread but haven't posted mostly because I felt like all I would be doing was adding a "me too" to all of the other posts lamenting the loss.

I don't think I have an entitled attitude - but after 14 or 21 days, it is nice to have a little control over the sandwich preparation (I abhor mayo!). When given a choice, my biggest request is always pretty simple - a grilled cheese (not even with multiple types of cheeses), with pickles and potato chips on the side can make me a super happy cruiser!

Just a thought - Subway became the largest franchise in the world for a reason :)

I'm still not sure where I stand on this issue. My first HAL cruise is in a couple of weeks.

On previous cruises on Princess, I never ate sandwiches from the buffet. They had pre-made sandwiches wrapped in plastic that never seemed appealing to me. I think my husband had them a couple of times, but he's not a picky eater. I would sometimes get little, pre-made sandwiches from the International Cafe, but they were very fresh, never soggy, and there was a good variety of choices. They made good mid-afternoon snacks.

From what I've read, there aren't many food options mid-afternoon on HAL since the buffet closes between meals. If the pre-made sandwiches are available then, I might consider them, but they might be too large for a "snack". Maybe share one with my husband.

I don't mind the idea of a made-to-order sandwich station for those that want it. I would be unlikely to use it myself, since there are so many other options, so I won't miss it if it's not there. I don't see why HAL can't do both. Have one crew member making sandwiches, with the option of grabbing a pre-made one if you don't want to wait.

When cruising, my husband and I eat a big breakfast and really don't want lunch. We do need a mid-afternoon snack because we have late dining. We found if we ask at the salad bar they will get you some fruit and cheese and some packaged crackers. If they won't accommodate you, you can always grab some at lunch and store in your refrigerator.

Just a thought - Subway became the largest franchise in the world for a reason :)

All sandwich delis make made to order sandwiches. Subway isn't doing anything special there. They do it cheaply, with inferior quality, and are what I would consider the "McDonalds" of sandwiches. I don't eat there. If HAL brought back made to order sandwiches with the poor quality of Subway, would everyone here be happy and eat it? I wouldn't! If they took out the Dive In and replaced it with McDs, would you eat it? Not me!

I'd make a similar analogy for the pizza, but from what I've heard about HAL pizza, Dominos might actually be an improvement. ;)

All sandwich delis make made to order sandwiches. Subway isn't doing anything special there. They do it cheaply, with inferior quality, and are what I would consider the "McDonalds" of sandwiches. I don't eat there. If HAL brought back made to order sandwiches with the poor quality of Subway, would everyone here be happy and eat it? I wouldn't! If they took out the Dive In and replaced it with McDs, would you eat it? Not me!

I'd make a similar analogy for the pizza, but from what I've heard about HAL pizza, Dominos might actually be an improvement. ;)

I would eat at both of them. After you return from your 1st HAL cruise please post a review

I enjoyed the vegetarian sandwiches on my Koningsdam cruises ... I didn't like the made to order sandwich bar on other ships as I hate asking for things and if I'm presented with lots of questions like what dressing etc I just get anxious ....yes I'm an odd one ! My husband has to go in subway for me as I can't deal with it :eek:

However on our last day there were no pre made veggie options and that is when I discovered that they still make sandwiches to order as when my hubby asked for me I was given that option ...

I enjoyed the vegetarian sandwiches on my Koningsdam cruises ... I didn't like the made to order sandwich bar on other ships as I hate asking for things and if I'm presented with lots of questions like what dressing etc I just get anxious ....yes I'm an odd one ! My husband has to go in subway for me as I can't deal with it :eek:

However on our last day there were no pre made veggie options and that is when I discovered that they still make sandwiches to order as when my hubby asked for me I was given that option ...

I'm like you, I hate ordering in fast food restaurants. I usually just say "#1 please" or my wife orders it for me. BUT, Subway is the only place I can order for myself because they give you instructions right at the counter. IE First select your bread, then your meat, etc. It makes it easy. Subway quality is good and fresh. Go ahead, put one on HAL (or the equivalent) :)

On our recent Rotterdam cruise the pre-made sandwiches were present. The turkey sandwich looked nice but the texture and taste was really off and dare I say slimy. I don't want to insinuate that all the sandwiches were like this but I have rarely stopped eating some thing in the Lido and gotten up to get something else. I can't put my finger specifically on what was different but the fresh made ones were clearly superior on previous cruises. I did wonder if the pre-made part was a red herring to disguise the fact they are using a lesser product but I have no way of proving that but I did wonder.

Changes can be hit and miss and for me the pre-made sandwiches are a miss. I hope HAL recognises that this change isn't for the better and comes up with a new plan.

For what it's worth the salad bar changes were a hit for us and we saw lots of people indulging. The sandwiches....not so much. The good news is that I didn't starve. Distant Lands especially the daily soup which they never seemed to advertise was outstanding.

Disclaimer- all of the pre-made sandwiches looked nice and the signs appeared to be good combinations...the pre-made part is where the rubber meets the road.

Edited by sammygoose
add

I'm like you, I hate ordering in fast food restaurants. I usually just say "#1 please" or my wife orders it for me. BUT, Subway is the only place I can order for myself because they give you instructions right at the counter. IE First select your bread, then your meat, etc. It makes it easy. Subway quality is good and fresh. Go ahead, put one on HAL (or the equivalent) :)

I kind of agree about adding a Subway-type station on HAL. I love that the bread and veggies are fresh! All they need to do is up the quality of the meat and I'd be a very happy man.

But with no upcharge...

I am also disappointed with the premade sandwiches. We generally don't eat much for lunch, but sometimes split a sandwich. We've had good and bad ones. I used to love having a grilled chicken sandwich on a croissant. That's just one example of the choices we used to have. I've taken filling out of a premade sandwich and put it on a fresh roll. Soggy bread and no choices leaves me cold. I vote for bringing back the made to order sandwiches. We have well over 300 days on HAL, have always spoken highly of them, but our next cruise is a bargain on Royal Caribbean. I'll let you know what they serve for lunch sandwiches. We have 2 future cruises booked with Hal and will continue to sail with HAL, but we're going to be less loyal and look around.

Don't forget group #4. Those who are now going to pack and bring their own lunch! :p

Then there is group 5 which is my group - the people who can not figure out how we can possibly have nearly 300 posts on sandwiches. Who cares!

DON