Dramatic Change in Currency Market Due to British Vote

RDC1

St Peter Port is going to be "collateral damage" from Brexit. I only recently figured out that the reason so many cruises stop at St Peter Port is that Guernsey isn't part of the EU -- so this saves them from charging VAT for onboard purchases. When England leaves the EU, all those itineraries will have a choice of ports for this purpose and Guernsey will probably lose a lot of tourist income.

I have looked at my Cruise Personaliser for my forthcoming cruise with Princess and when trying to purchase onboard credit it shows available purchases of £17-50, £35 and £70 but does not show exchange rate or amount of dollars I will get. Am I doing something wrong or just being thick :confused:.

I have looked at my Cruise Personaliser for my forthcoming cruise with Princess and when trying to purchase onboard credit it shows available purchases of £17-50, £35 and £70 but does not show exchange rate or amount of dollars I will get. Am I doing something wrong or just being thick :confused:.

That's was my point

This comment is uncalled for. :mad:

You must not read the same posts here that I do.

People here will proffer any excuse to cancel tips.

"The price of my cruise just went up because of the exchange rate,

so I'll cancel tips".

Completely believable.

I'm glad I did my British Isles cruise in May, before all this occurred.

Why? There's no civil unrest or anything. Just that at the moment you would get more for you buck ;)

If Sterling weakens, it is cheaper for visitors to holiday here.. just that we will find paying 12USD plus 18% grats a bit much and may stay home instead of cruising...

Thanks for the OBC info (to whoever shared it first), will have a look and see how much better it may be for our August cruise.

Edited by MsPoppadom

Hi. I bought mine online yesterday morning so unfortunately it looks like Princess has altered the exchange rate since then. As has been said before the three blocks that you can purchase OBC in are equivalent to $25, $50 and $100. Once purchased in pounds it does not also show in dollars but if for example you now purchase £70 you will get $100 showing on your onboard account once you are on the ship.

so I'll cancel tips".

Completely believable.

It is a very good point and the last thing wanted by cruisers from USA is that Brits are wrong cancelling tips because with the drop in the value of the pound the tips of $12-95pppn now equates to approx £10 so on this cruise equivalent to £240. I will be cancelling my tips and then pay in cash at end of cruise an amount I think is acceptable.

I think that the exchange rate is set when the cruise first goes on sale and remains the same, so different cruises could equal different exchange rates.

First apologies for the multiple posts - I'm new at this and not quite sure how it all works yet!

I have just checked my personaliser and it is still showing the rate that I got yesterday so it does seem that, once set, the rate maybe remains the same.

After reading this thread, I bought OBC this morning at £65 per $100. Just logged in again and it is still at that rate for me. Cruise leaving in 5 weeks - maybe different for cruises further away?

Thanks to those who posted this or I wouldn't have known.

St Peter Port is going to be "collateral damage" from Brexit. I only recently figured out that the reason so many cruises stop at St Peter Port is that Guernsey isn't part of the EU -- so this saves them from charging VAT for onboard purchases. When England leaves the EU, all those itineraries will have a choice of ports for this purpose and Guernsey will probably lose a lot of tourist income.

That is sad for Guernsey but good news for so many cruisers now. That VAT and the gratuities makes purchases on board very expensive, especially the drinks.

Hi I have spoken to Princess earlier and the rep said that the exchange rate will depend on when you booked your cruise and then it is set .So this probably explains why people have differing amounts .

Correct. Princess changes the exchange rate on or about end of December each year. So if you booked your cruise last year, to sail this year, then the cost of $100 =£65. Booked cruise after December then cost is £70 . We have two cruises booked -the first wad booked last year so get the higher exchange rate, the other in April so only get the lower one. Even then, at the moment even this lower rate looks favourable against the local High Street rates.

Hi I have spoken to Princess earlier and the rep said that the exchange rate will depend on when you booked your cruise and then it is set .So this probably explains why people have differing amounts .

That is correct for Australians as well. Sometimes you get a good rate and other times not so great, it just depends on how your $ behaves after it is set.

It is a very good point and the last thing wanted by cruisers from USA is that Brits are wrong cancelling tips because with the drop in the value of the pound the tips of $12-95pppn now equates to approx £10 so on this cruise equivalent to £240. I will be cancelling my tips and then pay in cash at end of cruise an amount I think is acceptable.

I hope Mr. Caber, with the angry face is reading your post.

I think that the exchange rate is set when the cruise first goes on sale and remains the same, so different cruises could equal different exchange rates.

Yes. That is correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I hope Mr. Caber, with the angry face is reading your post.

IMO, as long as cruise lines allow it, people can do what they wish with their money for tips. BTW, I do not advocate the argument for one way or the other. What I choose to do is nobody's business except mine and the cruise lines.

so I'll cancel tips".

Completely believable.

Yeah,but its common knowledge that all yanks are minted and chuck $100 bills at everyone so can afford it.I think us brits subsidise you because we dont get the discounts and deals you get,cheers,Brian.ps I prepaid my grats.