Dramatic Change in Currency Market Due to British Vote

RDC1

How can I do that Brian?

On the cruise personaliser the purchase of OBC comes up as £'s in the shopping cart and doesn't say how many US $ will be added to my ship board account!

Roll on 30th July for two weeks aboard Royal Princess. Thankfully the FCC and shareholder OBC will ease the pain of fewer £'s to the $.

The Personalizer amounts are usually in units of $25, $50 and $100.

My biggest fear with all of this is that Australia will remain weak against all the currencies, which certainly doesn't help my cruise aspirations. :eek::eek:

Seriously though, I cannot foresee anything but a more volatile GBP (pound)and subsequently other currencies, as each step on exiting will cause ripples in the global market.

Agree. Same with our share market after the GFC. Overseas stocks eventually rebounded strongly but our market just limped along.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We're delighted to be flying to London in a few weeks, even if it were just to avoid the political blather on tv here at home. ;)

I think you are in the US but the same could be said about Australia currently. Elections. Loathe the lead up.

My biggest fear with all of this is that Australia will remain weak against all the currencies, which certainly doesn't help my cruise aspirations. :eek::eek:

Seriously though, I cannot foresee anything but a more volatile GBP (pound)and subsequently other currencies, as each step on exiting will cause ripples in the global market.

As usual, then things hit the fan in the rest of the world, money pours into the US$,

Canada took a hit today too ..sigh. At least my next vacation us in AU $ ;)

THe Pound has already strengthened back to where it was against the Euro last week, Dollar just a bit down, but nothing to worry about. Its about profiteering by speculators, not the real world. Business as usual here in the UK. The EU has some serious problems now. For a start, one of the biggest paymasters just pulled the rug - the UK.

Holland next, then France, and so on.

The problem with the EU is it became a political entity without democracy, rather than the Common Market it was supposed to be. It can't last in todays world. We want a say in our country's management.

If Moody's downgrade you as threatened today, it will not be business as usual. Your borrowing costs will skyrocket. It's going to be a very bumpy ride

Hi Esprit,Ive just got up so missed your question.Seems others have already answered.The only thing Ill add is on the CP the first wedge of OBC is £16.25 which equates to $25 which in turn is a rate of 1.538,cheers,Brian.

I'm glad I did my British Isles cruise in May, before all this occurred.

You have it backwards. ;) The USD has gotten stronger against the pound (and a bit with the euro), meaning that it's cheaper to buy a pound/euro today than before the vote. Before the vote, I would have had to pay $1.48 for 1 pound and $1.13 for 1 euro. Today it's $1.37 for a pound and $1.11 for a euro.

I'm going to the British Isles in about 5 weeks and I'm thrilled. The British Isles has always been expensive for Americans so this will help a little. I'm buying some pounds and euros today.

Edited by Go-Bucks!

I'm glad I did my British Isles cruise in May, before all this occurred.

Why on earth would anyone come to that conclusion?

Yes, there will be an effect on the economy, and many of us think that it won't be good for the UK citizens, but the only difference visitors from the US see is that everything in the shops just got a lot cheaper.

Rather than being glad you took the cruise in May, it would make much more sense if you were saying that you wish we had had the vote before you took your cruise.

The Personalizer amounts are usually in units of $25, $50 and $100.

The webpage doesnt make it clear. The amounts that you can purchase in GBP are in blocks of $25, $50 and $100, the webpage shows GBP16.25.GBP32.50 or GBP65.00, which equate to the $ amounts shown above. (It doesn't however show the $ equivilent)

I purchased USD 1500 yesterday to pay for our excursions.

Thanks to the CC member who pointed out that the exchange rate for OBC (and indeed anything else you purchase for on board) is $1.538 as long as you do it before you go!. I would suspect (but dont know) that accounts settled in GBP will not get this exchange rate!

Edited by SWORRUB1
Poor poor spelling!

The webpage doesnt make it clear. The amounts that you can purchase in GBP are in blocks of $25, $50 and $100, the webpage shows GBP16.25.GBP32.50 or GBP65.00, which equate to the $ amounts shown above. (It doesn't however show the $ equivilent)

I purchased USD 1500 yesterday to pay for our excursions.

Thanks to the CC member who pointed out that the exchange rate for OBC (and indeed anything else you purchase for on board) is $1.538 as long as you do it before you go!. I would suspect (but dont know) that accounts settled in GBP will not get this exchange rate!

Hi,yes it is confusing,if you go to gifts etc before logging on the dollar blocks are shown but do not tell you how much.If you then log on the reverse happens.Accounts settled onboard will attract a very unfavourable rate,cheers,Brian.

Great time to visit the UK after the Brexit vote. The GBP is now worth only $1.3679 USD. It lost 8.05% on Friday. It will be interesting to see where it will end up in a month or so. I saw online where several in the UK who voted to leave are already having buyer's remorse. Scotland is already looking at another vote to leave the UK so if they do will they adopt the euro or keep the Scottish pound.

I think you are in the US but the same could be said about Australia currently. Elections. Loathe the lead up.

Our election is next week but do not think that will be the end of Political Blather as Loriphil called it.

Now, a scramble to cancel tips!

This comment is uncalled for. :mad: Anyway, we can prepurchase our gratuities in pounds, which I have done for our next cruise. The rate has not changed since yesterday.

Hi,yes it is confusing,if you go to gifts etc before logging on the dollar blocks are shown but do not tell you how much.If you then log on the reverse happens.Accounts settled onboard will attract a very unfavourable rate,cheers,Brian.

Thanks Brian, Reanne and everyone else who chipped in. I understand now.

Prepaying the gratuities is a no brainer too.

Isn't Cruise Critic just great.

Peter

Thanks Brian, Reanne and everyone else who chipped in. I understand now.

Prepaying the gratuities is a no brainer too.

Isn't Cruise Critic just great.

Peter

The tricky bit is estimating how much you are actually going to spend, in cash, however as you can get the $ back in cash (so it seems by trawling through Princess section of CC) its actually a no brainer, especially if you are planning hols in the future that will require US$!

Still don't understand the exchange rate, if I buy £100 of obi how do I know how in $ shoes up on my ship board account

'Cos it doesn't work that way. Cruises use $US as the onboard currency.

You can buy blocks of $25, $50 or $100 and you can see how much you pay, in Sterling, for each block.

Hi,to add to Corfes comments,when you board you will have a reciept in your cabin for each block of OBC.Any free OBC is debited first and the prepaid after to ensure any left over is refundable,cheers,Brian.

You can't buy £100 worth of OBC. You can buy blocks of credit which show up on the personaliser as either £16.25 equivalent to $25, £32.50 equivalent to $50 or £65 equivalent to $100. For example I just purchased 5 blocks at £65 giving me £500 of OBC. As this cost £325 that gives a rate of $1.538. It appears on your personaliser in pounds but will show up on your onboard account in dollars.

You can't buy £100 worth of OBC. You can buy blocks of credit which show up on the personaliser as either £16.25 equivalent to $25, £32.50 equivalent to $50 or £65 equivalent to $100. For example I just purchased 5 blocks at £65 giving me £500 of OBC. As this cost £325 that gives a rate of $1.538. It appears on your personaliser in pounds but will show up on your onboard account in dollars.

I have just checked and it is showing me £70 for $100 Obc for our cruise in Nov .

Did you ring or buy on line today ?

I have just checked and it is showing me £70 for $100 Obc for our cruise in Nov .

Did you ring or buy on line today ?

Another question if I pay in dollars on my credit card I guess I will be governed by the exchange rate on the day . We have one of these cards which give you the best rate so if the pound is weak then that is better ??