Can't bring soda on board anymore

lixogab

I wish the article would have touched base on how expensive water is on-board and that when Carnival enacted a similar ban it at least lowered the price to a more reasonable level. I think that's the biggest problem. Yes Coke lovers won't be able to their drinks on board - but the inability to buy a cheap bottle of water is the bigger problem.

I sent an email to author of this article, Gene Sloan - gsloan@usatoday.com:

Mr. Sloan,

First of all thanks for the article on this change of policy with NCL. I wish that you would of shed some light on the current cost of water not to mention soda on board NCL. Below are the current cost if you buy online ahead of time:

Aquafina 6 pack - $27.08 (price will be 30% higher on board)

Aquafina 12 pack - $47.14 (price will be 39% higher on board)

Aquafina 18 pack - $58.94 (price will be 50% higher on board)

Aquafina 24 pack - $70.74 (price will be 55% higher on board)

This adds significant cost to our family of five. We cruise in three weeks just a week after this ban takes effect. For a budget conscious family it is a tough pill to swallow.

This is a huge topic on Cruise Critic, of which I am a member of, with currently 1,070 post and 60,945 views (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2373703). All since the emails went out on July 2 announcing the policy change.

Just thought you should know.

Thank you for this link KyleClark . Glad USA Today didn't buy the "Bringing it into line with industry standards " nonsense .

Sorry, I haven't really been reading the last 2-3 hundred posts but has anyone posted how much the fee will be for bringing on a case of soda or water?

(Wanna bring your own, PAY up?!! as in want room service? pay for it!!)

No fee (yet).

Maybe if you have to pay a "boarding" fee to bring on soda/water all security issues magically disappear ? :mad:

More details from Access dept in our roll call http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2251961 #720. This is for information only so please bring comments or questions about it back to this thread.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Holy smokes the second option seems like a disaster waiting to happen... why would they even consider that.

Holy smokes the second option seems like a disaster waiting to happen... why would they even consider that.

I'd read that some other cruise lines do this. No guarantee and at least 90 days notice (which I think is what NCL should have given us for this ban). I'm waiting for the "fewer restrictions" or whatever it said. Will that be the fee?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Edited by Rhea98

Just curious as to where all the posts (with pictures - too easy to claim one was received when one wasn't) of Refund Confirmation Letters for the CruiseNext \ FCC are????

Throwing it out there that over the last 5 days MANY have stood in solidarity that this was how NCL would listen and allow refunds beyond the 30 days that the T&Cs allow.....

Edited by esm54687

I wonder if NCL when it throw out a change like this and the media starts to kick in they see a increase in hits on the web site and new cruiser revenue increases.

All cruise lines need that new business coming in and the new cruises are the hardest to reach out to, unless you go to TV, Radio and mainline news feeds many just don't consider cruises as an option.

Regular cruisers create a lot of noise when things change and some even shuffle around the lines but it is happening with all lines so probably evens out as NCL loses some but gains some when the other lines do something.

More details from Access dept in our roll call http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2251961 #720. This is for information only so please bring comments or questions about it back to this thread.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

I have to agree that what has been suggested is a disaster waiting to happen. The first option means total communication between NCL and the port/pier/screeners at all times.:rolleyes: Option 2, well, scares me in case I would board and the item would not be there (maybe I worry too much, but, items for medical reasons always scare me).

Guess at least they are trying? :confused:

I wonder if NCL when it throw out a change like this and the media starts to kick in they see a increase in hits on the web site and new cruiser revenue increases.

All cruise lines need that new business coming in and the new cruises are the hardest to reach out to, unless you go to TV, Radio and mainline news feeds many just don't consider cruises as an option.

Regular cruisers create a lot of noise when things change and some even shuffle around the lines but it is happening with all lines so probably evens out as NCL loses some but gains some when the other lines do something.

Interesting theory. I suppose it's a corollary to "there's no such thing as bad publicity".

I still think they'd pick up more business by announcing plusses, not minuses.

Just curious as to where all the posts (with pictures - too easy to claim one was received when one wasn't) of Refund Confirmation Letters for the CruiseNext \ FCC are????

Throwing it out there that over the last 5 days MANY have stood in solidarity that this was how NCL would listen and allow refunds beyond the 30 days that the T&Cs allow.....

I don't know if people will be successful in getting a refund outside of the time period listed in the T&Cs (likely an uphill battle) but given NCL's track record lately 5 days is far too soon to expect any action on anyone's request.

I don't know if people will be successful in getting a refund outside of the time period listed in the T&Cs (likely an uphill battle) but given NCL's track record lately 5 days is far too soon to expect any action on anyone's request.

totally agree...... but the mobs were at the gate with pitch forks and fire!!

totally agree...... but the mobs were at the gate with pitch forks and fire!!

Not at all likely to speed up processing time (and depending upon the number involved is even more likely to slow it down).

So, how many NCL customers (especially regular ones) are willing to raise their heads above the parapet and contact NCL direct to express their disappointment and even suggest some form of goodwill gesture to offset this?

Just a thought...

Not a regular but A) contacted my TA to express my dissapointment B) CCed a copy to Andy Stewart C) commented on FB ,

D) Sent a message through the NCL site E) Posted here (too many times) F) Launched a major class-action suit .

One of the above is a joke .:rolleyes:

All in all , not including E , took an hour or less . I enjoyed doing it .

Edited by richstowe

I wish the article would have touched base on how expensive water is on-board and that when Carnival enacted a similar ban it at least lowered the price to a more reasonable level. I think that's the biggest problem. Yes Coke lovers won't be able to their drinks on board - but the inability to buy a cheap bottle of water is the bigger problem.

Yes. I think with Carnivals ban it was fine. I ordered a 12 pack for 3.99 to be delivered to the room. Very convenient. They also include bottled water in their drink package. NCL does not.

I always bring diet coke (caffeine free) and water on with me. If this sticks (we have bookings for the Caribbean in February of 2017 and a Baltic cruise in September of 2017) I will be done with my NCL bookings. I have been looking into MSC cruises with the Black status they gave me so may end up there or back to Princess or RCL. Such a shame that they have ruined what used to be such a good cruise line.

So, how many NCL customers (especially regular ones) are willing to raise their heads above the parapet and contact NCL direct to express their disappointment and even suggest some form of goodwill gesture to offset this?

Just a thought...

I did on Friday. Even directed them to Carnival's site (since that was who they used for comparison on policies). I spoke to the rep for quite some time to suggest a "softening" of the policy may, perhaps, be a good move for NCL (from a customer satisfaction standpoint).

I have FCC's that I have used for the below, and others are pending. However, I was not in the group calling to get a refund on those. I'll just consider it a "lesson learned" to not buy things like that any more. Expensive lesson, but I'm sure it's one that I won't forget either.

I did on Friday. Even directed them to Carnival's site (since that was who they used for comparison on policies). I spoke to the rep for quite some time to suggest a "softening" of the policy may, perhaps, be a good move for NCL (from a customer satisfaction standpoint).

I have FCC's that I have used for the below, and others are pending. However, I was not in the group calling to get a refund on those. I'll just consider it a "lesson learned" to not buy things like that any more. Expensive lesson, but I'm sure it's one that I won't forget either.

Since they are transferrable you may sell them or give them away which should help to minimize the damage.

Just a thought...

I actually did send an email to my PCC. I asked him to share it with whomever he thought appropriate.

My personal issue is that part of my cruise enjoyment is to sit on the balcony and drink water and diet coke while reading. I probably drink a gallon of water a day at home - I rarely drink anything else - so I guess it's a habit. DH is the diet COKE drinker. Caffeine earlier in the day and caffeine free later.

I am in the process of looking at other alternatives for my upcoming Escape cruise. My problem is that I'm lazy. I LOVE one of the Carnival itineraries so could consider that, but I really don't know anything about Carnival or how old the ship is or...

The other one I'm looking at is MSC because they will take my Platinum latitudes status. Again, it looks like I have to pay considerably more if I want their anytime dining. This might be a misunderstanding on my part, but again, I just don't feel like researching.