Embarkation Day - List can make things easier for Steward

tbmrt

Since embarkation day is always so busy for the Stewards, I decided to make up a list of things we need, i.e., extra hangers, ice, robes, etc.

I take this list with us and cross off anything that is already in the room.

If the steward greets us before muster or sailaway, I give him the list and tell him "no rush". If not, rather than having to hunt for him/her, I leave it on the bed.

Has always worked great for us. By the time we return to our cabin to get ready for dinner, these items have always been there.

Push beds together

robes

Shampoo/Conditioner

2 wine glasses

Ice (please give us daily)

Wine glasses

Ice bucket

Extension cord

Extra Hangers

Box of tissues

Different Pillows

Interesting. I've never needed an extension cord and everything else on that list has always been in my cabin already for the most past. We had to ask several time for robes and slippers in RCCL (Royal Suite so never should have had to ask!) I think extra pillows are the only thing I have ever needed, and that's because I use a minimum of four when I sleep in order to properly align my spine and hips--crucial to keep bursitis at bay. :(

Shampoo/conditioner, Kleenex, ice bucket (full), wine glasses--these have always been in our cabin on arrival. ???

On my last Princess cruise this year, in Europe, my steward said she loves when the ships are here as we don't print out lists of things for them to do. She would much rather be asked for things.

Even when people hand her a list and say 'no rush' they always complain if it's not done within the hour.

On my last Princess cruise this year, in Europe, my steward said she loves when the ships are here as we don't print out lists of things for them to do. She would much rather be asked for things.

Even when people hand her a list and say 'no rush' they always complain if it's not done within the hour.

I agree, I can't imagine pre-printing a list. It makes a lot of assumptions.

Our beds have always been together...plenty of hangers, tissues in the bathroom....

There usually are 2 bath towels....I need an extra for my hair, so I do ask for that. Nowadays you do have to specify if you want ice daily, and we need ice, as the water won't "run cold"...ice is imperative!

I guess those are the only 2 things I've ever needed!

Since embarkation day is always so busy for the Stewards, I decided to make up a list of things we need, i.e., extra hangers, ice, robes, etc.

If the steward greets us before muster or sailaway, I give him the list and tell him "no rush". If not, rather than having to hunt for him/her, I leave it on the bed.

Has always worked great for us. By the time we return to our cabin to get ready for dinner, these items have always been there.

Push beds together

robes

Shampoo/Conditioner

2 wine glasses

Wine glasses

Ice bucket

Extension cord

Extra Hangers

Box of tissues

Different Pillows

If you need to provide the steward with a list, you should probably consider trying a different cruise line.

Push beds together

robes

Shampoo/Conditioner

2 wine glasses

Wine glasses

Ice bucket

Extension cord

Extra Hangers

Box of tissues

Different Pillows

I tried that approach with my staff at home. :eek:

I ended up sleeping on the couch for a few nights.:D

Our beds have always been together...plenty of hangers, tissues in the bathroom....

There usually are 2 bath towels....I need an extra for my hair, so I do ask for that. Nowadays you do have to specify if you want ice daily, and we need ice, as the water won't "run cold"...ice is imperative!

I guess those are the only 2 things I've ever needed!

Only two bath towels? I have never had less than two per the number of people the cabin can sleep. Even in our Windstar cabin which only slept two, we had four bath towels, three hand towels, and I want to recall six face cloths.

We had to tell him not to bother with ice, as they supply bottled water in the mini fridge and we had no need for it. I put the ice bucket into a cupboard to give us a little extra room in the desk.

I always try to not ask for anything the first day. They are so busy and really there's nothing for me that can't wait till the next day. I bring some cheap plastic hangers from home ( I get them from a local retail store where I shop regularly ) and put them in the garbage at the end of the cruise.

I always try to not ask for anything the first day. They are so busy and really there's nothing for me that can't wait till the next day. I bring some cheap plastic hangers from home ( I get them from a local retail store where I shop regularly ) and put them in the garbage at the end of the cruise.

No room in m bag for extra crap. We travel carry on and typically go for two or more weeks at a time. We will always try to make due with the hangers in the cabin, although on the Paul Gauguin there were exactly four. Not happening. But then again our steward in that line was the worst ever for a number of reasons not worth going into on this thread.

"Embarkation Day - List can make things easier for Steward"

I make things easier for the steward by not asking for anything.

Best. Post. Of. The. Day.

If you need to provide the steward with a list, you should probably consider trying a different cruise line.

Okay, it's a tie.

This would not be for us. We prefer to establish a personal relationship with our cabin steward. I would feel very awkward handing out a preprinted list - seems to say right at the beginning, "Here's what you already did wrong."

This would not be for us. We prefer to establish a personal relationship with our cabin steward. I would feel very awkward handing out a preprinted list - seems to say right at the beginning, "Here's what you already did wrong."

Hi there

as well as seeming a bit needy...but then again everybody has their specific needs/expectations :)

have a great cruise

Can't imagine doing this! Never has a need to discuss many of the things on the list. Also, you are assuming that the steward can read English. I have never had a bad steward; sometimes English is not their first language of choice and they do so well and are obviously learning - would never assume that they can also read in English. Many of us manage with Spanish, French, or other languages, but can't read in another language!

Maybe OP just sails the wrong cruise line. We have never asked for an extension cord. Not even sure why you would need it. Everything else is in our cabin when we arrive. We have always had great stewards on Princess.

I have everything with me that I will need. I do tell him or her that we are late sleepers so that they can plan accordingly.

Us too. If there's something wrong like a leaky faucet, we would bring that up. And when our kid was smaller and needed a child's life jacket, we would check first to see if it's in the closet; else, we would bring that up as it's a mandatory item that maybe hasn't been placed yet there.

But we've found that there's plenty of hangers (we do have some from the garment bag), towels, etc. We used to ask for bathrobes if not in our closet, but the last cruise we didn't bother as most of the time we don't use them. We're capable of removing any cans or water bottles that may be in the fridge and place them by the tv shelf. No biggie. And an extension cord????

The stewards are very busy that first day preparing all of their cabins, so we try to just introduce ourselves.

And I would think that even if you say no hurry, the steward would still feel there is one.

This is our approach also. We will never be a HMP - High Maintenance Passenger.