Did You Purchase a Watch on Your Celebrity Cruise? Does it Still Run?

Hubby bought a nice Citizen eco-drive that was on sale and it is still ticking. He's had it for about 3 years.

Bought one Citizen eco-drive years ago (for work and roughing it) and then a nicer, classier one several years later - both still keeping excellent time.

Wouldn't get near those $20 specials....

Bought one Citizen eco-drive years ago (for work and roughing it) and then a nicer, classier one several years later - both still keeping excellent time.

Wouldn't get near those $20 specials....

I found it interesting that the watch shop onboard could not make a band adjustment. But I was able to have it taken care of when I returned.

A family member used to work at a major company that had imported these $3 special watches. They were guaranteed for one year. After about 18 months, the battery died. You could get a replacement battery for $4.95 from the company.

Or a really expensive thousand dollar one of a kind watch? (the watch guys told me very limited Steve McQueen model....yeah right?)

DSC02487.jpg

While not a "one of a kind" this is a limited edition automatic chronograph Tag Heuer Monaco Steve McQueen which retails for $5900.00, so If they were asking $1000.00 you missed a steal of a deal! I would have been all over it for that price. As for $20.00 watches you get what you pay for could last 6 weeks or 6 years

My husband has bought a couple of Citizen watches and I bought an eco drive one, all of which are still going fine a good few years on (the on-board price is quite competitive against UK prices).

DH also bought me a Longines last year and within 6 months the battery had gone, but Longines replaced it under warranty, so no issues there. Also no problems re it not being a genuine Longines (that's one way to find out if it is for real!!), there are some horror stories around.

On the other hand, we bought a Sturhling watch for my daughter's boyfriend (~$250) and in less than 3 months it had stopped working. Even now we have not managed to achieve resolution for this watch :(.

Bought a fossil onboard in 2008, still on 1st battery. We've had a few citizens and all great, my omega finally needed a new battery after 3 years. My son got a bijoux turner $10 one and it worked well until the strap broke. Watch still worked but a replacement strap was more than the watch

For many years, I've been gawking at the Citizen eco-drive Skyhawk aboard each of my cruises, but was always leary about spending that much money on a watch... on a cruise ship.

Then, when I reached my 20 year service anniversary at work, I was directed to a website to pick out a gift. Lo and behold, the Skyhawk was shown at the top of the watch page and I got it for free!

My DW had her eyes on some hefty Blue Diamond jewelery on a recent cruise. I think I have to work another 120 years for that to show up on the gift list.

Edited by crooooze

Hubby bought a nice Citizen eco-drive that was on sale and it is still ticking. He's had it for about 3 years.

Same here, also with OBC... we both bought Eco drive Citizen's, our favorites! I checked before our cruise as we had our eye on them on last cruise, and even on Amazon, the ship's price was lower due to no duty. A good buy!

Edited by BecciBoo

What do you expect from a $20 watch - quality. A $20 watch is a piece of junk. If it ran until I got home,I would be happy. For All of you who have mentioned watches from vendors such as Citizen, Heuer, Fossil, etc., they are not $20 watches. Keep to the topic of the post.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

What do you expect from a $20 watch - quality. A $20 watch is a piece of junk. If it ran until I got home,I would be happy. For All of you who have mentioned watches from vendors such as Citizen, Heuer, Fossil, etc., they are not $20 watches. Keep to the topic of the post.

DON

If you read my post #21, yes I did buy a Fossil for under $20 while onboard.;)

..... For All of you who have mentioned watches from vendors such as Citizen, Heuer, Fossil, etc., they are not $20 watches. Keep to the topic of the post.

DON

errr should I consider myself told off?

Maybe in your zeal to scold us you missed the bit in the OPs post where he open's it up to more expensive watches?

The Citizen Signature Collection selection sell in the $1000 bracket

DON

OP was not referring to $20 watches only. Maybe you need to learn to read the entire post before criticizing everyone else's responses.

My Citizen Eco-Drive bought 3 years ago on Reflection is still going strong, altho' I had to buy a new strap this year as the leather one wore out. Now have a SS strap. My wife bought a Skagen watch on board at the same time and it's a great watch. The prices were 20% cheaper than in UK at the time, but not so now!

[quote name='donaldsc']What do you expect from a $20 watch - quality. A $20 watch is a piece of junk. If it ran until I got home,I would be happy. For All of you who have mentioned watches from vendors such as Citizen, Heuer, Fossil, etc., they are not $20 watches. Keep to the topic of the post.

DON[/QUOTE]

As you can see by the pictures posted by the OP, they brought up Tag Heure, not me. I simply responded to their post