Early Bird Check-in for Southwest Airlines

sharkaymon

This will be our first time flying SW. We leave on 8/12 at 6:45 am. How do I go about doing early boarding?? If I check in regular do I check in the previous day?? Coming home from the cruise our flight leaves at 2pm. How would early boarding work coming home??

Thanks for your help. Have a good day.

Carol

This will be our first time flying SW. We leave on 8/12 at 6:45 am. How do I go about doing early boarding?? If I check in regular do I check in the previous day?? Coming home from the cruise our flight leaves at 2pm. How would early boarding work coming home??

Thanks for your help. Have a good day.

Carol

Early Bird is not early boarding exactly, it's early check-in. The system automatically checks you in at 72 hours before the flight. It should result in earlier boarding, but as you can see from preceeding posts, it's not guaranteed. Get into your flight reservation on Southwest's web site and choose to add Early Bird to your reservation. It will cost $15 per person, each way.

Carol P., you can save time in airport likes by printing your boarding pass at home. The airport workers will ask if you have a boarding pass, if you say yes they will direct you to the bag check line. If not, they will direct you to another line where you can get your passes.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We usually do but will be flying with a LO this time so we will family board with the baby.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I just want to remind you that family boarding is between groups A and B. On my last flight, several families threw quite a tantrum that they were not allowed to board before group A

I just want to remind you that family boarding is between groups A and B. On my last flight, several families threw quite a tantrum that they were not allowed to board before group A

Which is the reason they no longer board before A!!!!

This is interesting. I have never flown SW, but I will from San Juan to Tampa in November. I bought early boarding. If I do nothing and arrive at the airport, will I get

"A" boarding? Since I'll be on a cruise on a seaday, I doubt I'll be able to early check-in with SW. How important is it to check-in early? Any info would be appreciated?

This is interesting. I have never flown SW, but I will from San Juan to Tampa in November. I bought early boarding. If I do nothing and arrive at the airport, will I get

"A" boarding? Since I'll be on a cruise on a seaday, I doubt I'll be able to early check-in with SW. How important is it to check-in early? Any info would be appreciated?

You will be automatically assigned a letter for boarding and a number. If you didn't select this than you wouldn't be assigned the letter/number until you checked in on line or at the airport. In this case you will be assigned your boarding letter/number automatically. You will likely be in A depending on how many business customers there are and how many people signed up for early bird before you did. We have always been in A wit this feature. Since you bought early all the better.

The advantage of checking in on line is to print out your boarding passes ahead of time to save you a little bit of time at the airport but it is not critical.

Keith

Let's clear up a misconception. You did not buy "early boarding". What you did buy was "automatic check-in". Some difference. From the WN website:
Automatic Check-In

Whether you choose to print your boarding pass the day before or just hours before the flight, your confirmed boarding position will be ready and waiting for you. Now you can print your boarding pass as your schedule allows.

Better Boarding Position

We'll automatically check you in and assign your boarding position within 36 hours of your flight's departure - that's 12 hours before general boarding positions become available. While EarlyBird Check-In doesn't guarantee an A boarding position, it improves your seat selection options to help you get your favorite seat.

So...you don't automatically get an A, but you will be checked-in by the WN computer system. The byproduct of the automatic check-in is that it is done at the 36 hour mark, before any manual check-ins can occur. So you are ahead of those doing it at the 24 hour mark, but behind those buying business fares and those with higher early-bird priority than yours. All of which means, as pointed out already, you don't have to print anything before arriving at the airport if you don't wish. You can always get your BP at the airport. Edited by FlyerTalker

WN flights from SJU are very cruise-heavy. So, you will probably have more than usual people buying that Early Bird because they will be onboard and don't want to pay for the Internet to check in at T-24h. If you have 50 people buy Early Bird (in addition to those who bought the "business" fare which gives A1-15 cards), someone is going to get the dreaded mid-B card...

Just be aware that, like WN says, you are NOT guaranteed an A card...

We will be flying SW in Oct have not done the early bird check in as of yet. We have not flown in years and since then hubby has become handicapped. Will he board first or should we purchase the early bird check in. We also purchased 3 seats due to his issue would we have to purchase the early bird check in for all three seats. I did call SW different answers from different people.

Pam

Someone above mentioned they were traveling with a baby. If it was the OP, don't bother purchasing early boarding. Mobility impaired and folks traveling with a babies get on first, regardless of the letter/number they have.

Someone above mentioned they were traveling with a baby. If it was the OP, don't bother purchasing early boarding. Mobility impaired and folks traveling with a babies get on first, regardless of the letter/number they have.

Families with young children board between Groups A and B unless the adults have boarding passes in Group A or the adults have purchased Business Select.

Handicapped individuals along with one companion per person are invited to board first before other groups.

Families with young children board between Groups A and B unless the adults have boarding passes in Group A or the adults have purchased Business Select.

Handicapped individuals along with one companion per person are invited to board first before other groups.

I also believe that it is only one adult per child in the child boarding time between A and B, not the entire extended family.

From the WN site:

"AN ADULTtraveling with a child six years old or younger may board during Family Boarding, which occurs after the “A” group has boarded and before the “B” group begins boarding. If the child and the adult are both holding an ”A” boarding pass, they should board in their assigned boarding position."

I also believe that it is only one adult per child in the child boarding time between A and B, not the entire extended family.

From the WN site:

"AN ADULTtraveling with a child six years old or younger may board during Family Boarding, which occurs after the “A” group has boarded and before the “B” group begins boarding. If the child and the adult are both holding an ”A” boarding pass, they should board in their assigned boarding position."

So are you saying that mom with the child (toddler) can board and dad carrying the carseat (that the toddler is going to use) can't yet and has to wait?

So are you saying that mom with the child (toddler) can board and dad carrying the carseat (that the toddler is going to use) can't yet and has to wait?
Maybe it's dad+carseat+toddler, with mom to follow. That is assuming she can't carry the carseat herself, in which case it's mom+carseat+toddler.

Maybe it's dad+carseat+toddler, with mom to follow. That is assuming she can't carry the carseat herself, in which case it's mom+carseat+toddler.

Trying to manage a carseat and a toddler by yourself :eek: