Have oceanview guarantee cabin but wanting a balcony

js4rq

Hi all, we originally had a balcony cabin booked for our Panama canal cruise in October before changing to an oceanview guarantee. We don't have a cabin allocated yet.

Now my partner wants to go back to having a balcony, which has got me thinking it'd be nice! :rolleyes: :D

We have had guarantee cabins before with other cruiselines and loved the cabin assignments we got. :D

My question is: should we wait a bit longer to see what we get assigned and if more than a week out, see what balcony cabins are available? :confused: I know we may not get allocated a cabin until a couple days prior to sailing. Or should we take the plunge and switch to a balcony cabin? :D

Decisions, decisions! :cool:

Edited by js4rq

Hi all, we originally had a balcony cabin booked for our Panama canal cruise in October before changing to an oceanview guarantee. We don't have a cabin allocated yet.

Now my partner wants to go back to having a balcony, which has got me thinking it'd be nice! :rolleyes: :D

We have had guarantee cabins before with other cruiselines and loved the cabin assignments we got. :D

My question is: should we wait a bit longer to see what we get assigned and if more than a week out, see what balcony cabins are available? :confused: I know we may not get allocated a cabin until a couple days prior to sailing. Or should we take the plunge and switch to a balcony cabin? :D

On a relatively popular cruise like yours and with many passengers wanting balcony cabins as its so scenic I think the chances of you being allocated a balcony from booking an outside GTY are from about about nil to zero.

ALWAYS book a cabin category where you will be happy. If you will not be happy in an oceanview, then pay the money and upgrade while there are still balcony cabins available.

I concur that on this cruise, balcony cabins are likely to sell out. No one can predict now with certainty, but you are likely to get assigned to exactly what you paid for!

Better act ASAP, PC cruise's routinely sell out.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

What date is the cruise in Oct, and is it this year or next. I would go back to the balcony while you can if you have the money for it, if not take a chance and just make the best out of what ever you get, remember you are rolling the dice.

Thanks guys for the replies.

We are going on the 9 October sailing this year. Not long now! :D

As much as we'd be happy having an oceanview cabin, having a balcony would be nice. There are a few balcony cabins left, and also a guarantee as well. :)

I might keep an eye out for sales and if prices come down, before taking the plunge. :cool:

Thanks again everyone!

For me, it would depend on the difference in price. What I'm seeing on the Princess website for the subsequent cruises (yours seems to be sold out of ocean view cabins), the difference is more than I would want to pay. For a cruise this length, I wouldn't spend more than a couple of hundred dollars per person to upgrade to a balcony. But each person's circumstances dictate what they're willing to spend.

As much as we'd be happy having an oceanview cabin, having a balcony would be nice. There are a few balcony cabins left, and also a guarantee as well. :)

I might keep an eye out for sales and if prices come down, before taking the plunge. :cool:

Thanks again everyone!

Due to the fact that your cruise is Oct 9th......from past experience you may find here very shortly that when you log in one day to look for balcony cabins the ship will be sold out.

Your final payment is due in 15 days.

Any sales after that will usually be for new bookings only.

Since people are now so excited to be offered a chance to pay for an upgrade (upsell), there are very few free upgrades anymore from one type cabin to another.

If you really want a balcony, book it now.

Well, lets see. There are 156 other OV cabins all hoping for upgrades, and currently the website is showing only 9 balconies available. If you wanted a balcony you should have booked one.

I concur with the rest of the group. If you want this balcony, book it now.... don't wait. The remaining balconies could very well sell out within a couple of hours! Don't wait for sales.... At this point, any price drops or sales will likely be for new bookings..... If any. Good luck!

Edited by Working 2 Cruise

My past experiences have always been to book the cabin you want. I made one big mistake once and moved to a balcony cabin right underneath Lido and MUTS. Miserable from day one. Live and learn. Waiting and hoping doesn't get you a balcony. I also book now stating NO UPGRADE - which is usually a downgrade IMHO.