Enchantment - why so expensive?

I'm looking to book a short Bahamas cruise in October because the BF can't get much time off work this year. I have looked at (and sailed previously on) NCL Sky so I know what that's all about. The competitor is Enchantment of the seas and here is what I want to know. Why is it so much more expensive for the same number of nights, similar itinerary? NCL Sky balcony cabin is going for about $500, Enchantment about $800. Is there any great value in this ship to warrant such a higher price? I assume it is an old ship like the Sky and has no bells or whistles. In addition the Sky has open bar with top shelf spirits at no extra cost. I would appreciate any feedback from someone who may have tried both and could compare.

I have been on the Enchantment several times but not the Sky. It is an older ship. It's a very nice ship. That said, I would not pay $300 more to sail on her though especially if that $500 on the Sky includes cocktails.

Edited by molly361

$800 pp for a balcony that time of year seems a little high. I paid that much for a Thanksgiving cruise in 2014 on Enchantment, and that was holiday pricing. So I would expect ordinary fall rates to be a little lower, although winter is when prices are best. However, I could easily do a Norwegian cruise with that price difference, even though I personally like Enchantment (as evidenced in my signature).

I'm looking to book a short Bahamas cruise in October because the BF can't get much time off work this year. I have looked at (and sailed previously on) NCL Sky so I know what that's all about. The competitor is Enchantment of the seas and here is what I want to know. Why is it so much more expensive for the same number of nights, similar itinerary? NCL Sky balcony cabin is going for about $500, Enchantment about $800. Is there any great value in this ship to warrant such a higher price? I assume it is an old ship like the Sky and has no bells or whistles. In addition the Sky has open bar with top shelf spirits at no extra cost. I would appreciate any feedback from someone who may have tried both and could compare.

Can you be more specific on the date you are looking at?

It appears that Enchantment is a bit more expensive than sky on most sailings, but usually not $300 per person more. My guess is they have less rooms available and the price has gone up.

Of the 2 ships Enchantment is superior (we have cruised both recently) and more desired. That's why Sky is offering free drinks. ;)

For the cost though I would choose Sky if that's when you want to sail :)

It was departing October 17th. 4 nights. As of a few minutes ago, NCL Sky was $530, Enchantment was $830.

That is grossly overpriced. There is no way that I would pay that much for that cruise in that cabin.

An interior is half the cost. It's only four nights. Would you consider that?

I have never been on the Sky. Normally I don't repeat hearsay opinions, but I am now: I have friends who have done many RC cruises, and Celebrity and a couple of others.

They went on the Sky. HATED it and said "never again".

Take that for what it's worth.

:)

A few years ago we did the Sky for a quick weekend New Year's Eve cruise, because it was the cheapest option available out of Miami or Ft. Lauderdale. This was prior to the Sky being all-inclusive for drinks. Prices were so high for a balcony that weekend, we did an ocean-view. Hubby and my sis-in-law did not care for the Sky, but I thought it was ok for a short cruise. Now if we had all had the drink package, they might have had a different opinion of the Sky!

Every thing with RCL is sky high.

I agree that RCL is sky high. We used to cruise Brilliance several times during the winter each year but it is now priced out of sight. Rhapsody is way overpriced as well. We like a balcony and are Diamond but have turned to Princess more often now.

i agree about prices being high. I just looked at both the Enchantment and Majesty Sept-Nov and the least expensive 4 night I see is on the MJ in Sept in an inside room and that comes to $733 total. Did not even look at OV or higher

Not trying to sound snippy, and I'll apologize if I offend anyone, but doesn't anyone know the concept of "supply and demand?" RCCL is in business to maximize profits. They price the product accordingly. If they can get $800 per person, why would they charge less?

I know the OP was wondering if Enchantment was "special." Well "special" is in the eye of the beholder. But other than being Royal Caribbean and not NCL, I'd say no. Will people pay $300 more for Royal Caribbean? It appears they will. So, each has to decide whether Enchantment is worth $300 more, plus free drinks, than NCL. I wouldn't think so. But a better question might be "is NCL so bad they have to charge $300 less AND give away free drinks to fill their ships? "

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by papaflamingo

I had a quick look at the cruises on their web sites and found a few things...

1. Supply and demand. The same cruise in other weeks is cheaper.

2. I tried a mock booking on RC and only got a choice of superior balcony. So all that is left is more expensive balconies, therefore you might not be comparing apple to apples. At least not if you care about room size.

3. The Enchantment cruise also goes to Key West.

4. There may have been some rounding of prices (or they changed, it happens). The RC cruise is currently $829 and the NCL cruise is $599.

5. This doesn't explain the price difference, but may be relevant to what you want on your cruise: That particular NCL cruise doesn't stop at Great Stirrup Cay. Other dates on Sky do and are the same price.

Still, ~$200 less and open bar? I'd do it.

Edited by TBone2K

I usually sail in balconies but took a last minute trip 2 weeks ago on Enchantment for a 4 night cruise. Did a large interior midship and the room was perfect - even had a glass shower door.

The cruise director was fantastic and we had a fabulous time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I took a cruise on Vision of the Seas (same class as Enchantment) earlier this month and we opted for an oceanview over a balcony b/c the cost was about $300 less pp. When we got to the ship, I noticed that there were relatively fewer balcony rooms on Vision, and a lot more oceanview ones.

So I would say it's mostly an issue of supply and demand - there just aren't that many balcony rooms on the Vision Class ships, so they tend to sell for higher. FWIW, we enjoyed our oceanview room on Vision immensely, and didn't really miss the balcony too much, even though we usually book a balcony.

Why is the 4 day sailing on November 20th 2017 so much more expensive than 4 day sailings?

On the UK Site most sailings start at £400 per person. If you go on that one it starts at about £575 a person (£1150 instead of £800 total).

The equivalent sailing this year is also the same and more expensive.

Pricing is also higher on the US Site for that sailing than compared to the others.

Does something happen in Miami on that week each year?

Why is the 4 day sailing on November 20th 2017 so much more expensive than 4 day sailings?

On the UK Site most sailings start at £400 per person. If you go on that one it starts at about £575 a person (£1150 instead of £800 total).

The equivalent sailing this year is also the same and more expensive.

Pricing is also higher on the US Site for that sailing than compared to the others.

Does something happen in Miami on that week each year?

That is Thanksgiving week

That is grossly overpriced. There is no way that I would pay that much for that cruise in that cabin.

An interior is half the cost. It's only four nights. Would you consider that?

I have never been on the Sky. Normally I don't repeat hearsay opinions, but I am now: I have friends who have done many RC cruises, and Celebrity and a couple of others.

They went on the Sky. HATED it and said "never again".

Take that for what it's worth.

:)

The Sky is actually a pretty nice ship. The forward observation lounge and deck overlooking the bow are great; the aft al fresco dining area is nice and open until about 2AM, and there is a really nice sports bar with all kinds of made to order food open even later than that. The atrium is tiny and has no wow factor, but the ship overall is in nice shape. the MDR is open on port days and boarding day as well for lunch, and NCL has a nice luggage drop off area until rooms are ready. I found the rooms to be comparable to anything on RCI, give or take. The buffet food was good, but the buffet is far too small for the ship; this is balanced by the Italian specialty restaurant being free at lunch time. For specialties the Sky has Steakhouse, Italian, French and a nice sushi bar with GREAT sunset views.

GSC is getting some extensive updates this summer, not sure if it will be ready by the time OP wants to cruise, but I already rank GSC above CocoCay which is just next door. The 4 day Enchantment cruise does have Key West whereas Sky has Freeport, so Key West wins there, in my opinion.

Don't knock it til you try it, I'd happily go on the Sky again. 4 days was great on that ship. Royal's ships are perhaps a half smidge more "upscale".

If pricing were equal I'd say toss up, but being less expensive and with included drinks, there's just no contest, IMO.

As to WHY so expensive, all I can guess is people have some cash to throw around and are willing to pay up for shorter trips. To me a 4 day is just as much time off work as a 7 day, so it is hard to say on that. It seems to be across the board not just Royal, short trip prices are up.

I can cruise on MSC Divina for 7 days for a family of 3 for exactly the same cost as Enchantment for 4 days. I guess the Miami market is very happy to have a Royal ship with balconies :D:cool: