Feeling aprehensive

ubsueg

We are booked on Viking Grand European tour Budapest to Amsterdam

Departing August 5th. We have a pre cruise stay in Budapest 2 days.

With everything that has happened in this area...Germany Bavaria...needless to say we are nervous and apprehensive.

We want to go...but is it the smart thing right now...

We are lucky enough to have "cancel for any reason" insurance through Vikings promotion back in January.

Can Experenced river cruises lend me your opinion....this is our first river cruise.

Nothing is ever 100% safe (a guy sleeping in his bed in the county next to where we winter, was eaten by a sink-hole, never to bee seen again:eek:), but I would have no qualms about going on your Budapest to Amsterdam cruise. I'd be a lot more worried about water levels than terrorism, and most people have no water issues either.

ENJOY

Thom

If you feel apprehensive or frightened then it might be best to stay home. Personally I feel I have to think of the risk. Many daily activities have risk such as driving. I was in Paris after the bombings there. I felt safe. We can't predict where these awful things will happen, but I have chosen to continue with my travels. I won't be going to certain areas of the world, but I am not staying home. There is not a right or wrong answer. Do what is best for you.........

I was on my first river cruise when the Paris shootings and bombing took place last November. Flew home from Munich without incident. I'm booked on another river next year. The only place that I would stay away from right now is Istanbul, which is experiencing terrorist attacks in tourist areas as well as political unrest.

If you're apprehensive and anxiety ridden to the point that it will impact your enjoyment of the cruise, then by all means cancel.

Roz

We returned last week from Munich. I can understand your apprehension. But it would be a pity if you missed such beautiful places. Amsterdam is simply marvelous with the canals. Budapest is also beautiful and vibrant with visitors. Vienna, Salzburg all so lovely. I'm sure the police in all of these places are working tirelessly. The risks that you would be a victim of terrorism is very minute in these places. In the past it wouldn't have crossed your mind, that's why now the fear is huge. I think now is as safe as it will ever be in Europe for a long time. So unless you are willing to forget your dream of visiting in your lifetime-- go and enjoy.

This is a very personal decision and only YOU know what you are comfortable with.

We leave in 2 weeks for Portugal and then for a Danube cruise in 3 months. We have two trips to Europe booked for next year already.

I have been traveling to Europe regularly since 1976 and with over 40 trips in total, have been there during and after several terrorists.

I also traveled to NYC within two weeks of 9/11 to see my family and friends who lived there.

I am not changing my plans to travel anywhere.

This is the first time with all our travels overseas that I registered with the state department where and when we will be. I am glad we went to Turkey and Egypt, among other countries, when we did. You are the only one that can make this decision. We are leaving in a month for Paris, Rhone Rivercruise and then Barcelona. With everything going on, we are still going. Just our decision. Safe and smart travels.

Your decision. Going to guess you are from the states.

Mass shooting in Charleston a few months back.

Bigger mass shooting in Orlando.

Big terrorist shooting in California.

Cops being shot in Dallas.

Through mid year close to 300 people killed in Chicago due to shootings.

Pretty sure America is not safe.

Just sayin.

We are booked on Viking Grand European tour Budapest to Amsterdam

Departing August 5th. We have a pre cruise stay in Budapest 2 days.

With everything that has happened in this area...Germany Bavaria...needless to say we are nervous and apprehensive.

We want to go...but is it the smart thing right now...

We are lucky enough to have "cancel for any reason" insurance through Vikings promotion back in January.

Can Experenced river cruises lend me your opinion....this is our first river cruise.

You'd be absolutely cuckoo not to go. Don't be such a weenie. Go, enjoy your beautiful cruise, buy a cuckoo clock where they're made, and when you're home and hear it chirp Cuckoo! Cuckoo! you can smile and say to yourself "Thank goodness I wasn't a Chicken Little and didn't stay home." ;)

A couple of years ago my son wanted to visit NYC. I thought it would be nice to go with him although I was absolutly terified. I was sure I would get shot or mugged or worse.(sorry but watched far too much U S police dramas on TV). However I felt if I did not go I would never forgive myself and would regret for the rest of my life. I went and even walked around the city on my own late at night. My fears were unfounded and I had one of the best trips of my life. I can understand fully the fears anyone can have coming to Europe in the present climate but would say please don't be put off and let these people win.

Only you know what is best for you......

You asked the question is it is the smart thing right now? As opposed to?

Next year? 5 years from now?

Personally, I would go and have a wonderful time:) but that is just me.

I think it is a new era and there are just going to always be some

"crazies" out there. I would not let them dictate how/where I travel though.

But, again, I agree with Caviargal, it is a very personal choice and you have

to decide what is the best decision for you.

Edited by Lois R

We returned from Danube cruise the end of June. Totally enjoyed everything. I think the only thing to spoil your cruise would be your anxiety which I hope would ease after a short while on the ship. Good luck

I think the main thing you have to think about is how much you would regret not going...and if you do decide to go, would you be able to enjoy your trip or always worry about what might happen. It's a very personal decision, while some may say they wouldn't try it, others will say no time like the present.

I hope whatever decision you make, you can be happy with.

We went on a river cruise and land tour on our own in Europe in June and felt very safe. We do a trip to Europe most years and this year felt no different. Just like the US, Europe is a big place and random acts of violence can happen anywhere. We are vigilant about personal safety, not that you can prevent anything but we are aware of our surroundings and when on our own are careful where we go especially at night. But this is the same as we do anywhere else too.

I hope you do whatever you feel comfortable with. But I can tell you that we cancelled one cruise with friends when our dog was diagnosed with a serious illness, and it was an empty feeling the day that cruise left without us.

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

I know some people who have an absolute fear of flying. Won't fly anywhere. Fear of terrorism is sort of the same. You are paralyzed with fear about something that can happen even though the odds are slim. I refused to go to San Francisco because I was terrified an earthquake would occur. Then an earthquake came to Long Island and I decided to risk it. The point is if you honestly feel fearful nothing anyone can say will make your fears disappear. You need to work through it in your mind

I am also leaving Aug 5 on a Viking cruise on the Rhine River. My personal opinion (and I know this is not the majority anymore) is that I believe what scripture in the Bible says: Job 14:5-7New Life Version (NLV)

5 A man’s days are numbered. You know the number of his months. He cannot live longer than the time You have set.

There are other scriptures that say something similar. I think when my number of days are up, God can find me whether i'm in Europe or in the US in my own bed. But you may not find comfort in those words and you'll have to go with your gut feeling and what gives you peace.

We are on a Paris to Normandy cruise in one month, going past the church where the priest was murdered yesterday. Horrible. We refuse to cancel, but of course will be watchful. I think others who have posted here are absolutely correct in saying that it is a very personal decision that only you can make. I also would like to let you know that you are not a "weenie" and that you should not consider bullying comments when making your decision.

Your decision. Going to guess you are from the states.

Mass shooting in Charleston a few months back.

Bigger mass shooting in Orlando.

Big terrorist shooting in California.

Cops being shot in Dallas.

Through mid year close to 300 people killed in Chicago due to shootings.

Pretty sure America is not safe.

Just sayin.

Took the words right out of my mouth. I'm happy to live in Europe and don't feel I'm at any higher risk here than I would be in the States. Actually, I feel safer here.

The thought to cancel our upcoming Rhine cruise never entered my mind. The Chinese have a saying, "May you live in interesting times!" Well, we're living in those interesting times. You can live life or you can stay home - those are the choices. I'm living - at least until I die which could be crossing the street or slipping in my bathtub tomorrow.

I do believe in minimizing risk, so I will be more aware of my surroundings. I will avoid anything that triggers those internal warning signs, and I am registered with the state department. Seems like a wise thing to do.

And sorry all those who believe we each have a set expiration date - I hope yours doesn't go off when I'm on a plane with you :D

We are on a Paris to Normandy cruise in one month, going past the church where the priest was murdered yesterday. Horrible. We refuse to cancel, but of course will be watchful. I think others who have posted here are absolutely correct in saying that it is a very personal decision that only you can make. I also would like to let you know that you are not a "weenie" and that you should not consider bullying comments when making your decision.

I really take exception to your calling my post " bullying." Really? The OP asked for opinions and I gave mine. I might also point out that it was not the only one which made light of feeling apprehensive to the point of cancelling. This is Cruise Critic and all opinions are worthy of consideration even when they don't mesh with the one you hold. Although oddly enough you do agree with me--anyone who says Yes the terrorism is dreadful but Cancel? Who ME? No way--is inferring that the OP isn't making as good a decision as the one they'd make in a similar position. Just sayin'. ;)

Bullying can be a matter of tone as well as content. There is a vast difference between "I think the main thing you have to think about is how much you would regret not going" and "You'd be absolutely cuckoo not to go. Don't be such a weenie." Everyone is welcome to give their opinion and to suggest advice, but there will be strong reactions to lectures.

The thought to cancel our upcoming Rhine cruise never entered my mind. The Chinese have a saying, "May you live in interesting times!" Well, we're living in those interesting times. You can live life or you can stay home - those are the choices. I'm living - at least until I die which could be crossing the street or slipping in my bathtub tomorrow.

I do believe in minimizing risk, so I will be more aware of my surroundings. I will avoid anything that triggers those internal warning signs, and I am registered with the state department. Seems like a wise thing to do.

And sorry all those who believe we each have a set expiration date - I hope yours doesn't go off when I'm on a plane with you :D

I agree and quite honestly I am more concerned with some disenfranchised person shooting up the supermarket while I'm inside than being caught in a terrorist attack in Europe. The only trip I would cancel right now (if I had it booked, which I don't) is the Amazon because that was a targeted criminal event and until they improve security I'm not going there.

Bullying can be a matter of tone as well as content. There is a vast difference between "I think the main thing you have to think about is how much you would regret not going" and "You'd be absolutely cuckoo not to go. Don't be such a weenie." Everyone is welcome to give their opinion and to suggest advice, but there will be strong reactions to lectures.

I agree and found the post to be quite harsh and judgemental. JMO.

I actually feel less safe in many American cities than when traveling in Europe.

While the decision is, of course, a subjective one and you may want to stay home if your security concerns rise to an unacceptable ( to you) level, in the words of my patron saint Jimmy Buffett...

I'd rather die while I'm living then live while I'm dead.