Can I embark, then get off to expire same day

ldock

Hi, oops title should read explore, not expire. we r starting our cruise from Venice, after spending a couple nights there. We r traveling light, yet don't want to lug luggage around on embarking day as we will be staying on the Lido. So my plan is to take it easy in am, stay on lido till 11ish, then head to port to drop off bags before spending more time in Venice. So I started thinking that because we r departing from Venice I assume majority of passengers won't be in a hurry to board the ship, and will do so at latter part of boarding time. So thinking that if we arrive at ship, and lineup is reasonable, could get check in process over and done with, then walk off ship and explore then. Then when boarding ( and assume line is bad) we would just skip line and board the same way as if this was a btb cruise. However we have never done this so, although I assume it's possible, would like to know for sure. I have done a search, but found nothing, so if anyone has tried this let me know. Thx a bunch!!

Edited by ldock

Even if you could (which I don't know... in Barcelona we were allowed to go back into the terminal to the duty free shop, but I don't know that anyone actually left the terminal), be aware that you're probably looking at close to an hour of travel time between the cruise terminal and Piazza San Marco roundtrip even by vaporetto - and that's assuming you get to the stop when a boat is there and don't have to wait.

For me it would be way too stressful to go to the terminal, then wait for transportation back into the city (or walk, but that takes time also and unless you know EXACTLY what streets you need to take you're likely to "get lost" a few times...or I guess if you have a crapton of money you could do water taxis back and forth, but those are expensive and still have speed limits), deal with the crowds there and getting around, wait for a vaporetto back (or walk or pay a crapton for a water taxi, see above) and get back in time for Muster. Not the way I want to begin my vacation.

IMHO, better to find another place to stay NOT on the Lido but in Venice proper OR to just be prepared to take your luggage with you and check in later.

I have done it both ways. A few years ago, in Venice, we dropped our bags, checked in early, got our cards, got the photo taken and then went back into town. I have also dropped the bags early, gone out exploring, and returned later to check in. The only negative is not putting stuff into the safe in the cabin. As long as you get on the ship before it leaves, do whatever you want.

I have done it both ways. A few years ago, in Venice, we dropped our bags, checked in early, got our cards, got the photo taken and then went back into town. I have also dropped the bags early, gone out exploring, and returned later to check in. The only negative is not putting stuff into the safe in the cabin. As long as you get on the ship before it leaves, do whatever you want.

I had flight delays and arrived late in Venice. I dropped off my bags, got my sea pass card and then went in to town to explore.

No problem at all.

Thx for responses, everyone for responses. Sounds like it is possible to do, so we will play it by ear that day.

Above poster who suggested not staying on lido, after research I actually want to stay on lido, it's actually a simple water taxi ride to port from lido. (beside ship, not where u land if already on island ). The lido has its own unique charm, And we like to retire for the night in a laid back area.

If I was only there one night that may b a different story.

We will do San Marco earlier in trip, so No need to go far in on embarking day. Or maybe we will just enjoy a varetto ride for the fun of it, especially if our legs r tired. Lol I like the idea of getting lost in Venice, just maybe not if we have a deadline.

Think you have answered my question also.......we want to explore for the day then board the cruise later in the day. Although not in Venice, from Pireaus. Our ship doesnt depart till the following day so see no point in cutting our sightseeing short or interrupting our day to fight the crowds :):)

Think you have answered my question also.......we want to explore for the day then board the cruise later in the day. Although not in Venice, from Pireaus. Our ship doesnt depart till the following day so see no point in cutting our sightseeing short or interrupting our day to fight the crowds :):)

We had a similar cruise nine years ago with an overnight in Venice.

We had flown in the day before and stayed at a hotel on the Grand Canal that was within walking distance of the cruise terminal. On embarkation day, we left our luggage at the hotel and enjoyed touring Venice. Late in the afternoon we made it back to the hotel, had a couple of drinks there, then picked up our luggage and casually walked over to the terminal not realizing that even though the ship was staying overnight in Venice, there was still a deadline for the embarkation. We just happened to arrive with only minutes to spare - they had already closed down all but one of the embarkation computer stations!

Be sure you know how late you can board on embarkation day!

Larry

On embarkation day, we left our luggage at the hotel and enjoyed touring Venice. Late in the afternoon we made it back to the hotel, had a couple of drinks there, then picked up our luggage and casually walked over to the terminal not realizing that even though the ship was staying overnight in Venice, there was still a deadline for the embarkation. We just happened to arrive with only minutes to spare - they had already closed down all but one of the embarkation computer stations!

Be sure you know how late you can board on embarkation day!

Larry

We arrived in Athens recently hours after embarkation time (by design; we weren't late). The ship was staying overnight and we had phoned Celebrity to find out what would happen. Basically, the only difference is that you have to handle your own luggage on to the ship in this situation. No lines anywhere - walk straight to your room. Easy!

I know this probably does not apply to the OP but I thought I would just give my experience in response to the above post for clarification.

Thank goodness you explained the title of your post!

I nearly died myself when I saw the title and I am not even on a ship or getting off one for another three months.

I nearly died myself when I saw the title and I am not even on a ship or getting off one for another three months.

LOL -- What did we ever do for entertainment, before auto-correct? :D

Lol, my fat fingers always creating typos, when using my phone. Glad u got some healthy laughter from.

It's not a problem at all, but be sure to bring your passport with you when you head back out to Venice. The Venice authorities will check it before allowing you to reboard. :) It's one of the few places in a schnegen country in the EU where I've run into this.