HAL Summer in Caribbean

sail7seas

We recently had atread a ougt HAl POSSPOSIBLY RETURNING GTO HAV ING SUMMER cARIBBEAN CCRUISES.

hAS ANYONE B EEN AB LE TO VERIFY IT IS UNDER SERIOUS considera tion:? I hope so. :)

We recently had atread a ougt HAl POSSPOSIBLY RETURNING GTO HAV ING SUMMER cARIBBEAN CCRUISES.

hAS ANYONE B EEN AB LE TO VERIFY IT IS UNDER SERIOUS considera tion:? I hope so. :)

It beats me why any sane person would want to cruise in the Caribbean in the summer. It is Hot, Hot, Hot and often humid, humid, humid.

Scott & Karen

It beats me why any sane person would want to cruise in the Caribbean in the summer. It is Hot, Hot, Hot and often humid, humid, humid.

Scott & Karen

That is certainly the case but then there are those who can only cruise in the summer. Carnival and Royal both make a lot of money on Caribbean summer cruises.

Before the recent unrest in Europe, I wouldn't have bet on it as HAL has been doing a great amount of business at a premium price there and in Alaska. Drop in demand in Europe may change things. The other reason HAL hasn't stayed in Caribbean year round is weather, namely hurricanes and Tropical storms. The jury's still out considering the pros and cons.

Scott & Karen

Hi Scott and Karen. Here in Phoenix AZ, so far we have had 28 days this summer above 110F and several above 115F. To us, the Caribbean means beaches and breezes.:D

Cheers!

Scott & Karen

Adding the third H in the summer in the Caribbean trifecta: Hurricanes

That alone makes the Gulf/Caribbean a big NO to me in the summer.

I think the cost of itinerary deviations, and disappointed passengers would be enough to keep them out of the area in the summer. Especially since they can maintain much more consistent itineraries in Alaska, Canada/New England, and Northern Europe.

That is certainly the case but then there are those who can only cruise in the summer. Carnival and Royal both make a lot of money on Caribbean summer cruises.

Carnival and Royal also both operate large kid friendly ships with the amenities necessary to draw families to the Caribbean during the summer. I can't see HAL trying to compete for that demographic, so they would be betting on their traditional crowd wanting to sail to the Caribbean during the summer...

Hi Scott and Karen. Here in Phoenix AZ, so far we have had 28 days this summer above 110F and several above 115F. To us, the Caribbean means beaches and breezes.:D

Cheers!

A Caribbean cruise would be a pleasant week away during my most recent Summers, in Chicago and Tampa.

Would love to see Hal do the Caribbean in the summer..the front and back ends of those months are not bad...water is usually wonderful!....and as far as hurricanes go..I trust the cruise lines not to put us in harms way!

We have sailed many times in September...usually most active hurricane month with no problems.

I kind of figure or at least would not be surprised to see several lines move or leave additional ships in the Caribbean during the summer for maybe a year or two. I think in light of the unfortunate situation in the Med it makes sense as demand there will most probably be reduced in the short term or longer and some lines will make adjustments accordingly. At the same time, though I haven't really paid that much attention or studied it, my impression is that Alaska is pretty saturated and not a good or better option.

The weather situation doesn't concern me but then again our summers here in San Antonio run 95-100F with 40+% humidity and that's way above average Caribbean temperatures and humidity. Now I have Internet "friends" who are complaining about 90-95F and 20% humidity right now so it's all relative to where you live and what you're used to. Hurricanes are a whole different situation but having dodged non-hurricane but rough weather on a couple cruises in the Caribbean in even January to March it can be and is done.

Would love to see Hal do the Caribbean in the summer..the front and back ends of those months are not bad...water is usually wonderful!....and as far as hurricanes go..I trust the cruise lines not to put us in harms way!

We have sailed many times in September...usually most active hurricane month with no problems.

No doubt they try to avoid storms, but itineraries often get trashed in the process. Being from northern climes, all I think about is getting out of the cold. I hadn't thought of southerners wanting to go to sea in the summer as it's cooler until another poster mentioned it a while back.

No doubt they try to avoid storms, but itineraries often get trashed in the process. Being from northern climes, all I think about is getting out of the cold. I hadn't thought of southerners wanting to go to sea in the summer as it's cooler until another poster mentioned it a while back. Looking at he weather in the Caribbean right now and I'm glad I'm not cruising.

Edited by blizzardboy

More than seeing HAL returning to summer Caribbean itineraries, I would prefer their returning to winter sailings from New York -- there is a real niche for a line like HAL in that market, which is currently dominated by NCL and a RC mega-ship.

I can see the convenience factor, but freezing my keester off for 2 days going and coming doesn't appeal to me. Throw winter storms like the one that bashed one of the big boys last winter into the mix, and I'll gladly depart from FLL.

Scott & Karen

THAT is what air cond. is for; and swimming pools and the beach and oc ean swims. :D

We loved those sum,mer in ghe Caribb cruises we did for years and I'd do again if HAL offered it .

Edited by sail7seas

Cheers!

Not that I would like that heat, but at least in AZ it's a dry heat. :D

Even in April the Caribbean was too hot and humid for me! To each their own. :)

It is interesting to note that Celebrity is relocating a ship to the Caribbean year round.

I was going to mention this as well - you beat me to it. And it's one of Celebrity's newer, larger ships (Equinox) starting in Summer of 2017 from Miami.

Our first HAL cruise was on Zuiderdam from FLL in the Summer (12 years ago when HAL still did Summer Caribbean itins) - lots of families and we had a really great time.

Edited by joepeka

I can see the convenience factor, but freezing my keester off for 2 days going and coming doesn't appeal to me. Throw winter storms like the one that bashed one of the big boys last winter into the mix, and I'll gladly depart from FLL.

The fact is you will most likely be in high 60's -70 by early afternoon of the first day, and only the last full day is really chilly ---- so there is no keester freezing. Additionally, winter storms are far more likely to disrupt flight plans than make for rough sailing ----- speaking of flight plans: the extra few hundred dollars per person flight , plus hotel for the night before embarkation, add significant cost and hassle to anyone living in or near NYC.

Before the recent unrest in Europe, I wouldn't have bet on it as HAL has been doing a great amount of business at a premium price there and in Alaska. Drop in demand in Europe may change things. The other reason HAL hasn't stayed in Caribbean year round is weather, namely hurricanes and Tropical storms. The jury's still out considering the pros and cons.

Per above ... HAL is probably weighing the pros & cons.

The fact is you will most likely be in high 60's -70 by early afternoon of the first day, and only the last full day is really chilly ---- so there is no keester freezing. Additionally, winter storms are far more likely to disrupt flight plans than make for rough sailing ----- speaking of flight plans: the extra few hundred dollars per person flight , plus hotel for the night before embarkation, add significant cost and hassle to anyone living in or near NYC.

I'm trying to wrap my head around the 60-70 degree figure in winter. I worked for a firm with it's home office in lower Manhattan and didn't experience anywhere near those temps. NYC was milder than Indianapolis, but still only had average highs 38-42 in Jan and Feb. The average high in Savannah, GA is only 60 in January and 64 in February. I know the Gulf Stream helps mitigate temps, but it's got to be at least 35 hours sailing to get as far south as Savannah (800 miles).

During the infamous Polar Vortex in January of 2014, it only got up to 70 at Half Moon Cay by the time we left there that afternoon. Very few sunburns that day!

Edited by blizzardboy