Margaritaville coming to Breakaway & Getaway

my3sonsnj

I too will miss the Flamingo Grill. It was my morning respite, a peaceful place for coffee, light bite, to read my Dallies and watch the sea go by. I despised the Garden Cafe. It was The Hunger Games for food. Nothing relaxing or enjoyable about it. My husband isn't a big breakfast person so I see that becoming one more meal we simply skip. But, I have to say I also welcome the MV on our next sailing. We cruise with teen daughters who are not foodies. We shared Shanghai's and Teppantaki on the Getaway, but not much else. I see MV as another venue the family can enjoy together. Even if it costs a few bucks, it is NOT a buffet and I get to enjoy my teens... But, I certianly understand the shared frustration.

The Hunger Games for food is a brilliant description!

You're right, a casual and relaxing lunch at MG with your family would be worth the $$ compared to trying to eat in the buffet. Hope your cruise with your teens is wonderful:D

4 more days, were sailing getaway 9/4 also

We just loved the GA! So jealous. Enjoy!!! We were able to get Vibe passes, best decision of the cruise for hubbie and me. Pool deck was as crowded as described by others, although the teens didn't mind. Vibe was our heaven. We were boarding group 11 and there were plenty remaining. Maybe it's just the sailing? If you're in Vibe, tell bar tender Jeffey you want a "mini beer shot for everyone"!! Sure, it's a sweet Italian liqour with whipped ice cream on top, but it looks just like a beer. He's the friendliest bar tender on the ship! Managed to get the entire Vibe crowd socializing together. Very fun vibe and yet so very different from the main pool deck. Enjoy it all. Share pictures so we can follow along!!

I avoid Margaritaville while I'm on land due to my dislike of Buffett in general so I'd be unlikely to visit them for free on a cruise, even less likely if there is a fee. We have the Drink Package included on our Breakaway cruise in October, the first week MV is open I believe, so we may get a drink but I won't eat there.

When I was a kid (teenager) I think a RC cruise we were on had a Johnny Rockets on board. I ate there a few time but I can't recall if there was a fee. I imagine if there was my Dad wouldn't have wanted me going but I thought that was a decent idea. Maybe I'm bias since I enjoyed Johnny Rockets so much as a kid and have such disdain for Buffet as an adult. I'd prefer restaurants of that class be included in the price of the cruise but I understand why they want to nickel and dime you.

In the end I wouldn't eat at MV if it was free or not. It doesn't really affect my cruising experience except for the fact that the former restaurant that I might have visited is gone.

When I was a kid (teenager) I think a RC cruise we were on had a Johnny Rockets on board. I ate there a few time but I can't recall if there was a fee. I imagine if there was my Dad wouldn't have wanted me going but I thought that was a decent idea. Maybe I'm bias since I enjoyed Johnny Rockets so much as a kid and have such disdain for Buffet as an adult. I'd prefer restaurants of that class be included in the price of the cruise but I understand why they want to nickel and dime you.

...QUOTE]

Johnny Rockets was free. It was a fun and tasty option.

Yes I remember there was a modest fee to eat at Johnny Rockets on (Carnival Glory, I thought, but maybe it was Explorer of the Seas.) That's where my daughter, who had recently learned to read, was delighted to make her own choices. We beamed as she poured over the menu. She announced "I'll have a grilled cheese and a beer."

We settled on root beer.

If they play island music and show those silly videos on a screen I might grudgingly come to like it. Uptown was not open often and did not serve good food when I was on Breakaway last April.

But I WILL enjoy explaining to people that buffet is no extra charge but Buffet is extra charge.

Edited by PelicanBill

Johnny Rockets was introduced on Voyager of the Seas in 1999. For several years, the food was complementary. Then they added a cover fee, which is currently $6.95 per person for most ships. However, it's now a la carte for Royal's newest ships.

Edited by barnacle_boy

Johnny Rockets was introduced on Voyager of the Seas in 1999. For several years, the food was complementary. Then they added a cover fee, which is currently $6.95 per person for most ships. However, it's now a la carte for Royal's newest ships.
OMG, you mean on RCCL it was free in the beginning and then they added a cover charge and then it went a la carte on some ships - shame on Royal Caribbean! :D Guess NCL is not the only one. Maybe NCL got the idea of making Margaritaville a la carte from RCCL!! Edited by NLH Arizona

OMG, you mean on RCCL it was free in the beginning and then they added a cover charge and then it went a la carte on some ships - shame on Royal Caribbean! :D Guess NCL is not the only one. Maybe NCL got the idea of making Margaritaville a la carte from RCCL!!

NCL seems to have embraced the a la carte idea with more greedy gusto than RCCL even if it is not their original idea.

I am willing to accept cover charges to have a special dinner, but I refuse to start paying a la carte for meals. It's not something I want to encourage because they just start taking it further and further. With this stupid Margaritaville thing, they are essentially charging for the pool grill burgers that other cruiselines offer for free.

OMG, you mean on RCCL it was free in the beginning and then they added a cover charge and then it went a la carte on some ships - shame on Royal Caribbean! :D Guess NCL is not the only one. Maybe NCL got the idea of making Margaritaville a la carte from RCCL!!

Sarcasm doesn't become you.

NCL seems to have embraced the a la carte idea with more greedy gusto than RCCL even if it is not their original idea.

I am willing to accept cover charges to have a special dinner, but I refuse to start paying a la carte for meals. It's not something I want to encourage because they just start taking it further and further. With this stupid Margaritaville thing, they are essentially charging for the pool grill burgers that other cruiselines offer for free.

NCL is doing EXACTLY what their customers want. Bringing once-in-a-lifetime experiences to the cruising public. Sure, you can leave the Uptown Grill exactly what it is today,,,, leftovers from the Garden Cafe buffet one deck below. Or bring the branded product onboard (which is not free to NCL) and let those who are "dying to try it" have a good time. If you want free pool grill burgers, then walk literally 100 feet down the steps and into the Garden Café. Those of us who want to experience Margaritaville will be doing it. :D

NCL is doing EXACTLY what their customers want. Bringing once-in-a-lifetime experiences to the cruising public. Sure, you can leave the Uptown Grill exactly what it is today,,,, leftovers from the Garden Cafe buffet one deck below. Or bring the branded product onboard (which is not free to NCL) and let those who are "dying to try it" have a good time. If you want free pool grill burgers, then walk literally 100 feet down the steps and into the Garden Café. Those of us who want to experience Margaritaville will be doing it. :D

Your claim that Uptown Grill is leftovers from the buffet is pure garbage. :rolleyes:

2zywm53.jpg

Secondly, the buffet is not a "pool grill" as you can't enter in wet swimwear.

Third, the Margaritaville experience is sorely lacking on NCL. If you are expecting an experience stop trying to fool yourself. It's generic frozen chain restaurant food without the atmosphere. You could do better visiting your local grocers frozen food section and loading up a Jimmy Buffet station on Pandora. At least then you get some music...

Bringing once in a lifetime experiences...ha, you must work in PR! :D

Margaritaville was nearly empty every time we went by there on our Escape cruise. Are there sailings when it is packed? What is the rationale for adding more of these restaurants if they are always empty? Maybe they want to have one place on the ship for passengers who are willing to pay for the "never a line up" experience? ;)

I think what NCL should do is give pax a "try it free" card or something. As a passenger, I'd feel happy to get something for free and it would give NCL a chance to get people in there to at least try it. If the food is really good, maybe people would go back and pay for a meal after experiencing it.

Your claim that Uptown Grill is leftovers from the buffet is pure garbage. :rolleyes:

Secondly, the buffet is not a "pool grill" as you can't enter in wet swimwear.

Third, the Margaritaville experience is sorely lacking on NCL. If you are expecting an experience stop trying to fool yourself. It's generic frozen chain restaurant food without the atmosphere. You could do better visiting your local grocers frozen food section and loading up a Jimmy Buffet station on Pandora. At least then you get some music...

Bringing once in a lifetime experiences...ha, you must work in PR! :D

Sorry that you are soooooo wrong. Sailed on the Escape twice and enjoyed Margaritaville both times. Sailed on the Breakaway twice and was unimpressed with the buffet leftovers in the Uptown Grill twice. If it matters, we've sailed on the Getaway twice, and despite the addition of some Cuban dishes to the burgers and dogs, are ecstatic that the are replacing it with Margaritaville.

Sorry that you are soooooo wrong. Sailed on the Escape twice and enjoyed Margaritaville both times. Sailed on the Breakaway twice and was unimpressed with the buffet leftovers in the Uptown Grill twice. If it matters, we've sailed on the Getaway twice, and despite the addition of some Cuban dishes to the burgers and dogs, are ecstatic that the are replacing it with Margaritaville.

Your knees will tremble then when you hit your grocers frozen food aisle.

Calling Uptown Grill buffet leftovers is like calling Cagneys MDR leftovers.

Your off your rocker. Uptown grill is in no way shape or form leftovers from buffet. Sad bad information posted by a bird

This is a ridiculous assertion. Uptown Grill cooks the burgers right there! And they're made to order! Saying that they were "buffet leftovers" is just wrong. And the burgers on uptown grill were much better than the stuff that is sitting in the warming trays at the buffet. This was a great place to eat and it is a loss.

Now, for me, a la carte works better. What I usually eat at Cagney's is actually about $9 cheaper than the fixed price plus the gratuity. Everyone is different and a la carte pricing will be beneficial for some and not for others.