Margaritaville coming to Breakaway & Getaway

my3sonsnj

Thought I got that with my cruise fare when I had booked back in January of 2015

Welp, I'm not surprised it was once free since I seem to be the cruise line equivalent of the nursing home death cat.

However, and even still, I'd like to see a try it for free card for Margaritaville.

This is a ridiculous assertion. Uptown Grill cooks the burgers right there! And they're made to order! Saying that they were "buffet leftovers" is just wrong. And the burgers on uptown grill were much better than the stuff that is sitting in the warming trays at the buffet. This was a great place to eat and it is a loss.

Fido Chuckwagon (a.k.a. Dog Food), same burgers, same cooks, same grill in Uptown as in the buffet one deck below. Need I say more.

Not sure where you ate, but it wasn't the Uptown Grill. Their burgers are made to order, the best we've ever eaten, ANYWHERE. NCL Margaritaville is sad. The foods the same as the land based ones, which is average for chain restaurant. and it hasn't got the atmosphere. I thought you cruised a lot. Where does this once in life time experience come from? There's a Margaritaville on every corner in the Caribbean. Haven't you ever gotten off a ship? What a joke.

Yup,,, take about 6 cruises a year. Mostly NCL. Spend a lot of time in the Caribbean. Don't spend a whole lot of shore time sitting in bars and restaurants. And definitely not spending time in US restaurants when there is a wealth of local food.

Been on -away class ships 6 times. And am a pretty good judge of food. While I respect your opinion, I would respectfully disagree that the Uptown Grill is the "best burger ANYWHERE",,, far from it.

Edited by BirdTravels

Fido Chuckwagon (a.k.a. Dog Food), same burgers, same cooks, same grill in Uptown as in the buffet one deck below. Need I say more.

1. They are cooked to order, fresh off the grill, hot burgers. The buffet burgers are not cooked to order, are not fresh off the grill, and are luke-warm in warmers.

2. I'm pretty sure they're not the same burgers. The ones at Uptown Grill always seem to be bigger with a nicer consistency.

3. You do not need to say any more. It is quite obvious to everybody what you are doing.

And most importantly, they are included in the price of your cruise fare, whereas Margaritaville is not.

Edited by Fido Chuckwagon

Yup,,, take about 6 cruises a year. Mostly NCL. Spend a lot of time in the Caribbean. Don't spend a whole lot of shore time sitting in bars and restaurants. And definitely not spending time in US restaurants when there is a wealth of local food.

Been on -away class ships 6 times. And am a pretty good judge of food. While I respect your opinion, I would respectfully disagree that the Uptown Grill is the "best burger ANYWHERE",,, far from it.

Well, we are only cruising 4 or 5 times a year:rolleyes:

Have cruised on the 'Away's several times and Escape (with more booked). We will really miss the Flamingo Grill/Uptown Grill. This fresh air venue with great breakfasts and lunches were favorites of ours since we like to avoid the buffet.

On the Escape we had been excited to try Margaritaville (being Buffet fans!) but were very disappointed as it was in no way close to the food and atmosphere of a real MG.

Food is subjective.From our experience it is the best we've ever had.

As far as you not wanting to go to us chain restaurants, I suppose you could say that for rest of us on a cruise too. Although you said in regards to Margaritaville at sea. "NCL is doing EXACTLY what their customers want. Bringing once-in-a-lifetime experiences to the cruising public." You really made me laugh at that one. YOU don't even believe what your writing. Pretty funny, I'll admit.

Just got off the Getaway this morning. The old Flamingo was closed and all tables and chairs cleared out, construction power tools in place ready to go. It's a thing of the past the old Flamingo.

Any indication if the climbing wall is going away? I would hope not, especially for this reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Any indication if the climbing wall is going away? I would hope not, especially for this reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No not at all. The ropes course was closed for the weekend supposed to be open again tomorrow. Wall was still going strong across from the restaurant space. I wanted to get a picture but forgot.

No not at all. The ropes course was closed for the weekend supposed to be open again tomorrow. Wall was still going strong across from the restaurant space. I wanted to get a picture but forgot.

Thanks so much for the info. A previous poster suggested that the climbing wall would be removed to make way for the new restaurant. If I remember, a crew member had said so? Anyway, it didn't sound quite right.

Welp, I'm not surprised it was once free since I seem to be the cruise line equivalent of the nursing home death cat.

However, and even still, I'd like to see a try it for free card for Margaritaville.

I don't think that is an unreasonable idea. Many of us booked cruises expecting to have The Flamingo. We had been planning to have breakfast and sea day lunches there. There is no Great Outdoors on the Getaway. The Flamingo was to have substituted for it.

I have also heard the Margaritaville was not doing breakfast. Maybe they could offer the Flamingo's Cuban breakfast if the venue is not being used anyway.

I have also heard the Margaritaville was not doing breakfast. Maybe they could offer the Flamingo's Cuban breakfast if the venue is not being used anyway.

Not sure a themed restaurant would allow "outside of the menu" food to be served. It would depend on how their contract is written with the cruise line.

Just got off the Getaway this morning. The old Flamingo was closed and all tables and chairs cleared out, construction power tools in place ready to go. It's a thing of the past the old Flamingo.

Thanks for the report. As I suspected, my June 2016 cruise on the GA was my last. I've lived in Orlando, I've had all the theme restaurant food I need for a lifetime.

As a UK citizen I have to confess I've never heard of Margaritaville :o How would it compare to perhaps McDonalds ? (burgers)

They are better then McDonalds, they are on par with Applebee's, TGIF. Not great but ok if you are hungry. I don't go out of my way to eat at any of them. Most times you will get a better burger at your local diner.

As a UK citizen I have to confess I've never heard of Margaritaville :o How would it compare to perhaps McDonalds ? (burgers)
It is not a fast food restaurant like McDonalds. The burgers are okay, but it is the atmosphere and association with Jimmy Buffett that some folks like. I've been to the one in Las Vegas and wasn't really impressed. Food was okay, music way too loud and service was just okay.

MUCH better!

Nothing remotely like MacDs.

I'd say its more like a mix of our Handmade Burger Company and Nandos - but with island style music and decor (does that make sense hah!)

MUCH better!

Nothing remotely like MacDs.

I'd say its more like a mix of our Handmade Burger Company and Nandos - but with island style music and decor (does that make sense hah!)

Thanks. I'm familiar with both and do like Handmade Burger Company.

Greetings

OK I am officially in the "this sucks" camp. The Cuban/Island food at Flamingo Grill was great. And the place was always full. When we were on Escape M'ville was empty. The only patrons were a group of ship employees at some kind of a working lunch meeting. The rest of the week you could count the number of diners on one hand.

Don't get me wrong, I was at the original M'ville the week it opened and have been at about a dozen of their other locations. But the one on Escape just doesn't seem to work.

Good Sailing

Tom

Greetings

OK I am officially in the "this sucks" camp. The Cuban/Island food at Flamingo Grill was great. And the place was always full. When we were on Escape M'ville was empty. The only patrons were a group of ship employees at some kind of a working lunch meeting. The rest of the week you could count the number of diners on one hand.

Don't get me wrong, I was at the original M'ville the week it opened and have been at about a dozen of their other locations. But the one on Escape just doesn't seem to work.

Good Sailing

Tom

I will look at it as I run past to Food Republic on Escape next week:D

I will also miss the cuban food on Getaway.