Noticing increasing number of "Service" animals!!!

albether7

When we adopted a dog from the Seeing Eye we were given a statement from them saying we adopted her and from whom. They had her tattoo, which was in her ear, listed so you'd know where she came from. All Seeing Eye dogs have a tattoo in their ear so they can always be identified. She was rejected because as they put it she was an "emotional piddler"- a foot pisser. She was in harness training and the only reward the Seeing Eye gives is praise- not food or toys- and she got excited then and piddled.

A Seeing Eye dog IS the eyes of a blind master and belongs anywhere their master wants to go!

Seeing Eye dogs are never the issue.

I sincerely hope that the Cruise Lines keep track of the cabins that have animals in them. And, give them a deep cleaning before releasing them to the next passenger.

Those with severe allergies will really suffer if the room is not cleaned after the animal departs and they move in.

Bob

• 6 months later...

This is a most interesting thread. We have a service dog that we take with us. She is a small dog (about 5lbs). When boarding and onboard for the first few days we have a jacket on her as notification of her designation. We do this as a loud advertising courtesy to others, not because it is required. After a couple of days, we feel, most are aware of her as the word spreads very quickly. We stop using the cape but leave a service animal card identification attached to her leash again as a courtesy. When she is working which is the majority of the time we never encourage petting. However, we make it a point to be ambassadors, answering questions etc., about service animals.

Going to Hawaii, the islands make it very clear that misrepresenting a service animal is a violation of federal law. Not to mention the amount of paperwork we have to provide for a 5 day in/out release there. Sure there will always be a handful that abuse the system to sail. But, I suspect that is more prevalent in town/city scenarios not on-board ship. Is/will there be abuse, sure. But the probably, in my mind, for shipboard sailing would have to be extremely small to insignificant for any discussion.

Those are my thoughts from an owner/handler of a legitimate very small service dog.

How would you know if a dog has been in the cabin you've booked? Allergy concerns can be an issue for some.

That is a legitimate question/concern. If I had any allergic concerns of any kind, I would discuss those concerns with the cruise line to see how they are, if they are, mitigated during the room preparation. I would also discuss it with the booking agent prior to booking and again on board with the front desk prior to going to the room. I would think this would be a prudent procedure for any travel scenario. A similar concern comes up with smoking. Which is not as prevalent as in the past but I assume there are more smokers on board than service animals.

I also see a rise in abuse of ADA regs in my job at an intercity bus line. It obviously is not a 'service animal' when the owner tries to 'sneak' it aboard under their coat.

Sometimes I trap them, by asking: Sir, is that your pet?" If they answer yes, I politely inform them that pets are not permitted on board.

If they are legit, they will answer: "No, that is my service animal."

Anyway more and more pet lover's are aware of the regs. and abuse them by lying about the status of their animal, but carrier's are afraid to even ask the legal question, "What service does the animal perform"......

How many people do you see at mall parking lots using someone else's handicap permit?

The same thing....abuse what is a good thing....

I also see a rise in abuse of ADA regs in my job at an intercity bus line. It obviously is not a 'service animal' when the owner tries to 'sneak' it aboard under their coat.

Sometimes I trap them, by asking: Sir, is that your pet?" If they answer yes, I politely inform them that pets are not permitted on board.

If they are legit, they will answer: "No, that is my service animal."

Anyway more and more pet lover's are aware of the regs. and abuse them by lying about the status of their animal, but carrier's are afraid to even ask the legal question, "What service does the animal perform"......

How many people do you see at mall parking lots using someone else's handicap permit?

The same thing....abuse what is a good thing....

If you see someone misusing a handicap placard (the person it is registered to must be present in the vehicle), just call 911. There are hefty fines that communities love to collect for violations.

I don't remember if these were mentioned before but I came across these two facts in some research. One, while service dogs can certainly be in stores and while merchants let in "emotion support animals" to avoid confrontation, the ADA clearly states they cannot be in shopping carts. Two, diabetic alert dogs need to be worn in harnesses next to your mouth so they can detect the changes in your breath.

I've seen at least two on every cruise in the last few years. I heartily agree that real service dogs should be welcomed and accommodated and it made me so pleased to see one on our last transatlantic cruise (a service dog for a blind woman). The ship even blocked off the bow promenade area to set up the "facilities" for the three dogs.

The other two dogs were "foo foo" dogs in strollers. They had various outfits. One time, I witnessed the "diabetes alert dog" being given licks of an ice cream cone that the supposedly diabetic person was eating while sitting in the Windjammer. I'm pretty sure the dog should have been trained to nip at the "diabetic" person's hand if they reached for a sugary dessert...

My objection are the passengers who make a big deal over these faux service dogs and want to pet them and get the scoop from the owners on what the dogs are trained to do. Folks, you are just encouraging deceit!

I know this is an old post, but you obviously know nothing about Diabetes (if you think a diabetic can't have an ice cream at times) or service dogs (if you think they are trained to "nip their owners) or alert dogs (if you think they control what their owner eats, rather than alerting when a hypo is near).

That is a legitimate question/concern. If I had any allergic concerns of any kind, I would discuss those concerns with the cruise line to see how they are, if they are, mitigated during the room preparation. I would also discuss it with the booking agent prior to booking and again on board with the front desk prior to going to the room. I would think this would be a prudent procedure for any travel scenario. A similar concern comes up with smoking. Which is not as prevalent as in the past but I assume there are more smokers on board than service animals.

Smoke is an irritant, not an allergen.

If you see someone misusing a handicap placard (the person it is registered to must be present in the vehicle), just call 911. There are hefty fines that communities love to collect for violations.

The problem with that is, you can't know for sure, unless you actually know the people involved, so it would be very ill-advised to do that just on assumption....

The problem with that is, you can't know for sure, unless you actually know the people involved, so it would be very ill-advised to do that just on assumption....

I don't have a comment on this but wanted to say I like your signature "getting there is half the fun!

coming back is the other half!" :D

If you see an able bodied person park in a handicap spot with a placard hanging and jump out, yes, you can call 911 and report what you saw. You may get laughed at in a metropolitan area but in many areas, it is enforced. There is a higher likelihood of someone assuming since the placard is present, the vehicle is owned by the placard holder and they use the car or they are on an errand for the placard holder, they can use the handicapped spot then they have a unnoticeable condition. Once the enforcement arrives, they simply check identification against name on placard.

I don't have a comment on this but wanted to say I like your signature "getting there is half the fun!

coming back is the other half!" :D

Thank you! Some people may misinterpret its meaning, thinking that I am grateful to be getting back, but that is not the case...the way I see it, the travel is the fun, and I don't care at all about the destination....just the going and coming..:D

If you see an able bodied person park in a handicap spot with a placard hanging and jump out, yes, you can call 911 and report what you saw. You may get laughed at in a metropolitan area but in many areas, it is enforced. There is a higher likelihood of someone assuming since the placard is present, the vehicle is owned by the placard holder and they use the car or they are on an errand for the placard holder, they can use the handicapped spot then they have a unnoticeable condition. Once the enforcement arrives, they simply check identification against name on placard.

Here in NY, the name of the placard owner is not on the placard....only a number and expiration date.

And as you mention, some people have an "unnoticeable" legitimate reason for the permit, so you can't be sure, and you would not want to risk a false accusation....

I find this very disturbing as you are making presumptions about disabilities based on appearance alone. Not all disabled hobble about on canes, crutches, walkers or wheelchairs. Many look perfectly normal, but have other conditions which justify having disabled tags. Shame on you.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I find this very disturbing as you are making presumptions about disabilities based on appearance alone. Not all disabled hobble about on canes, crutches, walkers or wheelchairs. Many look perfectly normal, but have other conditions which justify having disabled tags. Shame on you.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You don't know what you are talking about. There are few unnoticeable conditions that would quality for a placard. You must have physician certification and the fines are hefty for falsification unlike "service animals". Not all medical conditions qualify but must (in my state) to obtain a permanent placard, you must have a disability that is not expected to improve. A qualifying disability is defined as blindness or any condition that significantly limits a person's ability to walk or that requires a wheelchair, walker, crutch or other assistive device. All of that is counter indicative of someone who hops out of the driver's seat without someone else in the car. Family members who borrow the car with the placard hanging think they can park where they want since the "car is qualifed". No, it is not.

Here in NY, the name of the placard owner is not on the placard....only a number and expiration date.

And as you mention, some people have an "unnoticeable" legitimate reason for the permit, so you can't be sure, and you would not want to risk a false accusation....

That number is connected to some database that law enforceent can access. I, on behalf of my family member who needs a placard, am happy to have the law enforced. It is not a "false accusation' asking enforcement to check that the law is being followed.

You don't know what you are talking about. There are few unnoticeable conditions that would quality for a placard. You must have physician certification and the fines are hefty for falsification unlike "service animals". Not all medical conditions qualify but must (in my state) to obtain a permanent placard, you must have a disability that is not expected to improve. A qualifying disability is defined as blindness or any condition that significantly limits a person's ability to walk or that requires a wheelchair, walker, crutch or other assistive device. All of that is counter indicative of someone who hops out of the driver's seat without someone else in the car. Family members who borrow the car with the placard hanging think they can park where they want since the "car is qualifed". No, it is not.

Elaine, you really shouldn't make these broad statements based on your assumption of everyone's medical abilities. First is my sister-in-law. She once got yelled out by a passerby (it wasn't you was it?) because she did indeed jump out of her very expensive sports car. Yup, she pulled into that handicapped spot, opened her car door and jumped out. Of course she could have felt spry that day what with the tube of morphine being continually pumped into her body. Just 4 short weeks after this encounter with this horrible woman yelling at her she passed away from three different kinds of cancer. She actually died from brain cancer. I guess her perky blonde wig hid that.

Now me: I have a handicapped placard. I often get out of my car quickly and hurry into the store or amusement park with a spring in my step. Mine is legit. Please please please call the police on me. I will gets tons of embarrassment out of you for your false accusations. I have an on-going condition that will never go away, that only gets worse and you will never physically see it on me. My five main doctors are my GP, my musculoskeletal doctor, the sleep and pulmonary doctor, my neurology doctor and last but not least my pain management doctor.

Also, what makes you think these people obtained their placards illegally. Madam, you make a lot of assumptions, you put down people that don't agree with you and insist you know it all when it comes to placards. Unless you have knowledge of everyone's health you are hardly in a position to understand or know why they have placards.

My DH has had 2 knee replacements. Please explain why your head is in his pants checking out if legs to see if he really has had knee replacements. I could go on but even though you might not get the point from my post everyone that reads it will.

I just don't understand who died and made you boss. Please stop posting on this subject as it doesn't make you look as superior as you think you are.

Edited by notentirelynormal

That number is connected to some database that law enforceent can access. I, on behalf of my family member who needs a placard, am happy to have the law enforced. It is not a "false accusation' asking enforcement to check that the law is being followed.

I have a card from the MVC that connects me to the placard. If I encountered you it would give me no end of pleasure to see you make a fool of yourself by abusing the 911 emergency system on my account.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I know this is an old post, but you obviously know nothing about Diabetes (if you think a diabetic can't have an ice cream at times) or service dogs (if you think they are trained to "nip their owners) or alert dogs (if you think they control what their owner eats, rather than alerting when a hypo is near).

Well, please educate me. How does a dog in her little sailor outfit sitting in a stroller alert their owner if "a hypo is near?"

Well, please educate me. How does a dog in her little sailor outfit sitting in a stroller alert their owner if "a hypo is near?"

Not the person you quoted, but here ya go: when a diabetic becomes hyper or hypoglycemic their body produces certain chemicals. These produce an odor that isn't detectable by most humans but IS detectable by dogs. The dog is trained to alert his human when it detects these odors. Is that enough education for ya? If not, feel free to Google it. There are all kinds of info out there if you just look for it.

Calling 911 for such a frivolous reason should get you a hefty fine too. Put the non emergency parking enforcement number on your speed dial if you're going to accuse total strangers of this.

I don't remember if these were mentioned before but I came across these two facts in some research. One, while service dogs can certainly be in stores and while merchants let in "emotion support animals" to avoid confrontation, the ADA clearly states they cannot be in shopping carts. Two, diabetic alert dogs need to be worn in harnesses next to your mouth so they can detect the changes in your breath.

Please just stop. You are embarrassing yourself. How many people have you seen carrying a Labrador retriever around in a chest harness? Hm?

I have been away so don't remember what I said in my 1st post. BUT...............

We adopted a Germen Sheppard from the Seeing Eye in Morristown, NJ, their headquarters.

She was rejected as am 'emotional piddler' or what my husband calls a 'foot pisser'.(We stopped her from doing this.) I had students that raised puppies for the Seeing Eye and learned that they will not take any tine to correct any problems with their dogs. Those dogs are put up for adoption.

The family that raised them are asked first then they are available to others.

When we got Meagan we had asked in November and got her in February. She was free - but we gave a good donation for her. However that was YEARS ago. Now it is a 3 year wait and a cost of $500 to get one of their dogs.

She was in harness training when she was rejected. The Seeing Eye will not take the time to correct problems. The only reward a dog gets is LOTS of praise for doing something right.

She was completely trained when we got her.

And the most important thing about a service dog is when you see them, they are working! You DO NOT PET them. Just talk to their master. If they say you can pet them you can.

And, not all service dogs are for the blind. They help many in many other ways!