Medical Emergency Anthem of the Seas 8/10/16

Well the mother of a girl who is in the group on the ship said they heard the lady had passed, but that's girl what I'm seeing.

I was pointing out to the person who was doubting proll that proll was on the ship and you are relaying information from someone on the ship. Someone has bad information, not sure who, not going to get in a he said she said thing, just didn't want that poster completely discounting what proll is saying as they are actually on the ship.:)

I hope the woman is still with us and the ship is speeding back to get her the care she needs.:)

Holy crap! Three in one day?!

Sending healing thoughts to anyone impacted.

My parents cruise often in retirement and my dad has some health risks - it freaks me out but at the same time - these threads help me help them make good decisions regarding risks about cruising/vacationing with these risks. I really benefit from understanding some of the realities - so, thanks to the OP for sharing.

In remembrance:

We are a 'cruiser community' and as such when one of our fellow cruisers passes away especially during a cruise, we as 'cruiser community' members mourn the loss of that fellow cruise member.

We also mourn for their families and loved ones and we support them with kindness and compassion as our 'cruise community' would mourn and support any of us in our time of need.

With our sincere condolences.

Signed,

oldguysandgalls

I would think that announcing to the passengers information about someone's health issues would be a HIPAA violation. Similar scenario occurred on a cruise we took 2 years ago where someone started bleeding out by the pool. Pt was intubated poolside, taken to the medical facility, then came the overhead announcements asking for blood donors. This unfortunate gentleman did not survive either, but no announcement was made- I happened to find out privately.

Another thought is about the poor Anthem- I love that ship, but she seems to be a bit cursed. An inordinate amount of adverse events have occurred in her short tenure at sea. Hope her luck improves.

Sending prayers for that family, and hoping that she makes it back to Bayonne in time.

The sad truth is that in any community of 6,000 when the average age is north of 50, you add too much food, alcohol and activity, you are going to have health issues. It is more a surprise if there are any cruises that are free of health emergencies.

I am sorry for the families and friends who have to go through this. From fun to heartbreak in a matter of minutes. Hoping they all have good memories to help them through this difficult time.

In remembrance:

We are a 'cruiser community' and as such when one of our fellow cruisers passes away especially during a cruise, we as 'cruiser community' members mourn the loss of that fellow cruise member.

We also mourn for their families and loved ones and we support them with kindness and compassion as our 'cruise community' would mourn and support any of us in our time of need.

With our sincere condolences.

Signed,

oldguysandgalls

Very well said. Thank you.

So I just told DH that if I happen to die on board, please quietly put me on ice somewhere and allow the other cruisers to enjoy the rest of their cruise. Seriously, how cool to die doing something as enjoyable as a cruise. No disrespect meant to the deceased in this situation.

I would think that announcing to the passengers information about someone's health issues would be a HIPAA violation. Similar scenario occurred on a cruise we took 2 years ago where someone started bleeding out by the pool. Pt was intubated poolside, taken to the medical facility, then came the overhead announcements asking for blood donors. This unfortunate gentleman did not survive either, but no announcement was made- I happened to find out privately.

Another thought is about the poor Anthem- I love that ship, but she seems to be a bit cursed. An inordinate amount of adverse events have occurred in her short tenure at sea. Hope her luck improves.

Sending prayers for that family, and hoping that she makes it back to Bayonne in time.

It is not a HIPAA violation for someone on here to post that information. They never signed paperwork regarding HIPAA and keeping things quiet. The medical staff on the ship would be the people that would be in violation of HIPAA because medical staff is not allowed to disclose any private medical information. Cruisers can say what ever they want.

I just posted in another subforum a few days ago that while I'm intrigued by Anthem's solo rooms, I'm developing a superstition about the ship--and I am not a superstitious person.

It is not a HIPAA violation for someone on here to post that information. They never signed paperwork regarding HIPAA and keeping things quiet. The medical staff on the ship would be the people that would be in violation of HIPAA because medical staff is not allowed to disclose any private medical information. Cruisers can say what ever they want.

I could be wrong, but I believe it was in reference to an earlier poster who stated that "the ship announced they passed away" Nothing to do with the posters on here discussing it. :)

Nonsense!

whats the difference between this and the news saying that the woman involved in the car crash passed away

The sad truth is that in any community of 6,000 when the average age is north of 50, you add too much food, alcohol and activity, you are going to have health issues. It is more a surprise if there are any cruises that are free of health emergencies.

I am sorry for the families and friends who have to go through this. From fun to heartbreak in a matter of minutes. Hoping they all have good memories to help them through this difficult time.

Well said, I was thinking the same thing from fun to heartbreak.