Very disappointed in a Royal Carribbean

I cruise on several different lines and all have similar cancellation penalties. At least once a week I read a sob story on social media where someone doesn't have insurance and they're slamming XYZ cruise line because the company is abiding by the contract and enforcing cancellation penalties. Then their friends get involved and try to shame to company into bending the rules.

I think every cruiser needs to know and accept what the cancellation penalties are. These are corporations, not family members. Frankly, if they bent the rules for everyone who had a tragedy, serious illness, etc. they would be out of business.

If I was unable to take a cruise that was in the penalty phase, I certainly wouldn't expect the cruise line to make an exception for me because I was loyal, deserving, a good customer, etc. To the OP, I think you should be thankful you have insurance. Collect your refund and book whatever you like.

Lesson learned. I don't think we will be buying insurance in the future.

Seriously? Oh my goodness. Well I sincerely hope neither of you gets sick or has an accident a few months away from a very important cruise, like it happened with us. No one ever expects to get cancer and it is a devastating diagnosis and illness, but thankfully we had insurance and we got back every cent we had paid.

I'm going to chalk your comment up to you being upset and frustrated. No one ever expects to have to use the cruise insurance you buy - it's just like house, car, fire, life, travel, health insurance. You may never need to use it but it's always good to have because you just never know.

My husband and I sail approximately four times a year and are Loyal to the RCCL family. We currently have one Azamara, two Celebrity and three Royal Carribbean cruises booked. In fact, my husband and I met on the Serenade and got married on the same ship two years later. My husband just found out he needs surgery and we need to cancel an October sailing. We did not request a refund, but simply asked it to be applied to a new booking within the next twelve months. They refused and are hitting us with a $900 penalty. The money is not the issue because we have insurance, the issue is that we are loyal to them and expect the same loyalty in return. We are now researching which of the cruises that we have booked can be cancelled without major penalty and will start shopping other cruise lines.

Don't understand your problem if you say you have insurance.

UPDATE: we just heard back from our travel agents RCCL rep. If we did not have insurance, they would have moved all of the money to another cruise within 12 months. Since we have insurance, we need to file a claim with the insurance company for the refund. Lesson learned. I don't think we will be buying insurance in the future.

I think your travel agent is nuts.

I hope your husband's surgery goes well. Insurance will cover the $900 as others have said. As far as transferring the funds instead of an outright cancel, we tried to do that when we had to cancel a cruise and were told we could and then they reneged. We ended up cancelling and got all our money back except the cost of the insurance, but we lost a next cruise and the OBC that went with it.

What I found disappointing was at the same time I was trying to transfer the funds and was denied, someone else was posting how they were allowed to transfer their funds and they had no insurance at all. Seems very similar to your situation as you are being denied a transfer of booking, when there is another thread from a gentleman who has been allowed to move his funds to another cruise and he has no insurance.

Makes you wonder why you should buy insurance in the first place.

The problem lies that if the cruise is past final payment then there will be a penalty assessed. If you have insurance there is no way the insurance company would know that the cruise line agreed to transfer that penalty amount to a future cruise, which in escence could be cancelled at a future date for a full refund.

Therefore issue one is, as others have noted, if the penalty is transferred to a future date it could be cancelled and a full refund obtained, hence making the penalty nul and void. Issue two is insurance company not knowing the penalty has been transferred to another cruise as paperwork will show penalty date and value. Then people putting in a claim for the penalty amount. They could theoretically get a refund and the penalty transferred!

I'm not saying that is what the OP would do, but it leaves a lot of loopholes if cruise lines constantly allow penalties to be waived or transferred.

Edited by Spurschick

I'd have to see that in writing to believe it. Basically that would be the rep saying insurance is a waste of money and don't buy it, as our company would rather swallow the cost of any loss of revenue then have an insurance company do so. I think anyone counting on this being policy is going to be in for some heartbreak if they can't make their cruise.

In fact I might have to ask RCL about that myself, so I can skip insurance in the future *grin*

Agreed. Can you imagine the lawsuits if TA's told their clients they don't need insurance, they will be covered anyway, then something happens and then they are not covered:confused:no one will ever put that in writing:rolleyes:

I am just sharing my thoughts and experiences after cruising with Royal for over 20 years and to see if anyone else had a similar experience. I have always found these forums very helpful and informative, especially when I was planning my wedding on a royal ship five years ago

Wow CrusingAlong4now. There is no reason to get vicious

Why did you buy insurance if you were going to just ignore it?

UPDATE: we just heard back from our travel agents RCCL rep. If we did not have insurance, they would have moved all of the money to another cruise within 12 months. Since we have insurance, we need to file a claim with the insurance company for the refund. Lesson learned. I don't think we will be buying insurance in the future.

Have fun gambling! They do NOT do that for everyone who doesn't have insurance. It's done in some cases; it's not a policy.

Expensive gamble.

Like.

It is about customer loyalty. It's not about Insurance at all.

I do believe w/ the OP's loyalty and future cruises already reserved, that someone w/ the level of authority would cringe to hear that this is happening. Like all large companies, they thrive on loyalty. Upper management works hard to achieve this loyalty. Mid managers implement what they are instructed to do. The key is reaching the management level that can make the adjustment. My suggestion is to obtain a Dr's statement and submit it to multiple levels. Follow up relentlessly until you hit that manager that has the authority. Believe me, he/she is there.

Now, I realize that the OP has a travel agent, but why go through all this trouble when the OP has insurance!?!? It's a ridiculous waste of somebody's time. In fact, the OP has spent more time on this thread than it would take to file the insurance reimbursement request. Fine if she wants to leave, but why did she think she was buying insurance for in the first place?

Although I understand the feedback and the non negotiable cruise contract, I think it may be time for a change.

But you DON'T seem to understand that the contract isn't negotiable.

I am just sharing my thoughts and experiences after cruising with Royal for over 20 years and to see if anyone else had a similar experience.

I've never had to cancel a cruise but from reading these forums for years I can tell you one thing:

The likelihood of the cruise line following through on the "if you didn't have insurance we'd have transferred you to another cruise" is very questionable. There have been a LOT of stories of people who did not have insurance and wanted exactly that- to have their money transferred over to another cruise and the cruise line said "no, sorry, you should have purchased insurance; that's what it's for." And they're right- that's the purpose of insurance. If you stop buying insurance now, you may not like the result if you have to cancel again after final payment.

Quick question: If you actually expected the cruise line to transfer your money to another cruise, why did you purchase insurance in the first place?:confused:

As the saying goes, I think to say that now, when you are not out any money and everything has worked out fine, you need to find a new cruise line is cutting off your nose to spite your face.

From what the TA told the OP, it does appear Royal does make exceptions for those with no insurance.

The problem is that there is little rhyme or reason as to when, how or for whom they make exceptions. People have canceled for far less serious reasons and weaseled the cruise line into making an exception. Other people have canceled for equally or more serious reasons and gotten nowhere when asking for an exception.

I think the OP is in for a rude awakening. She plans to A) change cruise lines and B) stop buying insurance. I can only imagine the response she gets when she has to cancel a cruise on her new cruise line and asks for an exception to the policy by claiming "but Royal told me they would do it." The rep for the new line would probably respond with "well why didn't you book with them, then?"

The problem lies that if the cruise is past final payment then there will be a penalty assessed. If you have insurance there is no way the insurance company would know that the cruise line agreed to transfer that penalty amount to a future cruise, which in escence could be cancelled at a future date for a full refund.

Therefore issue one is, as others have noted, if the penalty is transferred to a future date it could be cancelled and a full refund obtained, hence making the penalty nul and void. Issue two is insurance company not knowing the penalty has been transferred to another cruise as paperwork will show penalty date and value. Then people putting in a claim for the penalty amount. They could theoretically get a refund and the penalty transferred!

I'm not saying that is what the OP would do, but it leaves a lot of loopholes if cruise lines constantly allow penalties to be waived or transferred.

If the deposit was put toward a different cruise in the future, they wouldn't pay

If the deposit was put toward a different cruise in the future, they wouldn't pay

I understand in reality they shouldn't pay. However given that the cruise contract shows final payment date and penalty the insurance company is in all reality not going back to RC to see if it was reimbursed because the contract clearly states it won't be reimbursed. All you need to do is provide your invoice with dates and penalties clearly stated. The vast majority of insurance companies will take the penalty contract as binding, because the vast majority of the time the cruise line won't transfer or refund it. You have a document clearly stating the amount and that it is non refundable. For a claim my understanding is you need the doctors note and the paperwork showing the panalties and non refundable amounts with dates which is what your invoice clearly shows

In reality how many do get refunded or their deposits transferred in the overall amount of cancellations after final payment. As a percentage very few. Which is why insurance companies don't expect it to happen.

Cruise lines need to be more consistent

Unless you start making multiple claims after final payment date you are very unlikely to raise a red flag.

Edited by Spurschick

Fine if she wants to leave, but why did she think she was buying insurance for in the first place?

Exactly.

Years ago my stepdad sent all of my moms stuff to me by a long haul truck. He got insurance for the belongings. While unloading the driver dropped exactly one box. The box containing turntable and Marantz laser disc player. Both were broken.

For months I asked stepdad to make a claim so I could get those replaced. He was too busy. One day dh and I went to a used cd store and found an original, and better than the Marantz, Pioneer laser disc player. For $50. We were broke but we bought it. I told stepdad, hoping he would do the insurance claim and get me the $50 and turntable money, and instead he said something about how the lord provided.

What the heck was the point of buying the insurance if THAT is what he was going to rely on????????

I don't understand why anyone would want RCL to take the loss when the O.P. purchased insurance, which was bought to provide cover in case of loss.

If RCL were to accommodate the O.P., then really all of us should expect the same treatment, as treating one better than another wouldn't be fair. What do you suppose would happen to overall prices if we were allowed to cancel and/or switch at will ?

The O.P.'s issue has nothing at all to do with Customer Service or Loyalty.

Customer Service is implementation of policy, Loyalty is covered by C&A.

There would be no loss. The OP wishes to advance her sailing not obtain a refund. With the way that RCCL increases rates throughout the life of the booking time frame, RCCL most likely would actually make more money by re-booking the room. And most likely they will.

In regards to 'everypne' expecting the same treatment, perhaps. But most likely it's doubtful. The decision maker on this, and believe me there is one, would take into an account the OP's cruise history, tenure, loyalty status and the scope of the reasoning for wishing to advance her reservation. If the OP has cruise w/ RCCL for 20 yrs as she has stated, IMO she absolutely has reason to be a bit upset. She did not ask for a refund or money. She simply asked for her reservation to be advanced.

What I see happening is she has a TA and therefore can not talk direct to RCCL. She can't move forward w/ the TA's RCCL rep. But I would continue to push forward and plow through the mess and if my TA would not assist me, I'd be finding me another TA as well. You're kidding yourself if you think that the Board of Directors would not cringe if they heard this story of a loyal cruiser of 20 years wishing to advance the reservation due to health reasons and mid level managers won't compromise.

Edited by Goodtime Cruizin

I read about one guy who had the "vacation guarantee" and they wouldn't give him his money back, so he went on the cruise, alone, said he wasn't happy, and they flew him home at the first port. Full refund. Cost the cruise line a lot more money that way, but rules are rules.....

I laughed when I read that. Takes a lot of perseverance and sticktoitiveness to pull that off. Even I wouldn't try that trick.

I laughed when I read that. Takes a lot of perseverance and sticktoitiveness to pull that off. Even I wouldn't try that trick.

I got a kick out of it too. I just get that image in my head of someone really, really determined.

I find the OP's stance so very confusing. Having insurance, she will receive all costs back other than the cost of insurance. RCI transferring the money to a different cruise, same thing... only out the cost of the insurance. If she could cruise, she is still out the cost of the insurance. It is all equal, I just don't get it.

I find the OP's stance so very confusing. Having insurance, she will receive all costs back other than the cost of insurance. RCI transferring the money to a different cruise, same thing... only out the cost of the insurance. If she could cruise, she is still out the cost of the insurance. It is all equal, I just don't get it.

Maybe she wanted to move the insurance. Actually, I think it's a cut off your nose to spite your face situation

So your NOT mad anymore, for no reason to begin with?.....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

The problem is that there is little rhyme or reason as to when, how or for whom they make exceptions. People have canceled for far less serious reasons and weaseled the cruise line into making an exception. Other people have canceled for equally or more serious reasons and gotten nowhere when asking for an exception.

I think the OP is in for a rude awakening. She plans to A) change cruise lines and B) stop buying insurance. I can only imagine the response she gets when she has to cancel a cruise on her new cruise line and asks for an exception to the policy by claiming "but Royal told me they would do it." The rep for the new line would probably respond with "well why didn't you book with them, then?"

I don't think it ever hurts to ask for something, but when the answer is negative, then that's where I draw the line and think it's time to wear big girl/boy pants and accept the situation.