Poll..... Should kids be allowed in the Haven at all?

mscdivina2016

Poll..... Should kids be allowed in the Haven at all?  

413 members have voted

1. 1. Poll..... Should kids be allowed in the Haven at all?

• NO
    • Yes but only with adult supervision at all times
    • Yes but with Adults only times for the pool
    • Yes, but not in the pool
    • yes, but have an attendant on duty who is not tipped

Why would children allowed to be sidelined as no other group? There are lots of other ways to slice the population. This is just an attempt by people without children to get more from their fare than people with children. If there is an unruly customer, that customer should be dealt with, but no one should be singled out as inappropriate a setting that is appropriate for all.

Because that's they way it is. Just the name "Haven" suggests peace. How would sales be if instead of the Haven they called it the Rumpus room?

Children are not allowed in the disco or night clubs after 10 or so on different lines, as well as the gym. The same apply s to topless decks (not too many anymore) as well as several activities. You won't find a child at the Martini tasting.

But I still can't believe the parents who take their kids to the adult comedy show.

As far as getting more from the fare, do kids pay full price?

You are NOT responsible for other people's children. And if you "took action" and something went wrong, you could face consequences.

The best thing is "tell the parent". If the parent isn't there, it isn't your problem.

There are times when people get involved, with good intentions but the results are disastrous and the good samaritan gets blamed.

That don't work all the time. That could make you a horrible person.

I once saw a young child in a wheel chair (alone) going into an elevator and one of the wheels fell between the crack and every 5 seconds the doors would close on him and reverse.

So would you just stand there and watch?

Why would children allowed to be sidelined as no other group? There are lots of other ways to slice the population. This is just an attempt by people without children to get more from their fare than people with children. If there is an unruly customer, that customer should be dealt with, but no one should be singled out as inappropriate a setting that is appropriate for all.
I was merely giving a compromising suggestion to the person who wanted adult only hours. If you read the post, I suggest adult time (which would be no children), children time (which would mean children and their parents, but no other adults allowed) and everyone time (which would be everyone, children included). So, again if you actually read my post, I was not only sidelining children, but adults without children as well.

I was merely giving a compromising suggestion to the person who wanted adult only hours. If you read the post, I suggest adult time (which would be no children), children time (which would mean children and their parents, but no other adults allowed) and everyone time (which would be everyone, children included). So, again if you actually read my post, I was not only sidelining children, but adults without children as well.

I thought this ^^^ was a good compromise. :)

Because that's they way it is. Just the name "Haven" suggests peace. How would sales be if instead of the Haven they called it the Rumpus room?

Children are not allowed in the disco or night clubs after 10 or so on different lines, as well as the gym. The same apply s to topless decks (not too many anymore) as well as several activities. You won't find a child at the Martini tasting.

But I still can't believe the parents who take their kids to the adult comedy show.

As far as getting more from the fare, do kids pay full price?

My kid is charged adult prices nearly everywhere we go- if it is based on double occupancy. I can promise you that a young child,now 6, is not using all of the same amenities, eating as much food, etc as an adult. But, if I want an all inclusive resort or a cruise then that's what we have to do, and I don't complain. We aren't hanging out at bars, and there's plenty of places that my child can not go- spas, adult only pools/sun decks etc.

Either way, even if it's a family of 4, they should be able to vacation as a family..why make one more thing as "adult only"? If people have a problem with children, or just don't want to see them on vacation (which is understandable) there are plenty of options for adult only vacations- where you will be guaranteed not to see any kids at all.

Edited by disneygirl10

Not adult only, but supervised. There is no where on any vacation where a child should be left alone. If they are in kids club then they are supervised by staff, otherwise they are supervised or need to be supervised by their parents.

I agree, there are a ton of parents who seem to be falling down on that because they want to relax. Great, wanna relax without your kids then don't bring them. Or stick them in kids club.

Otherwise, they are under your care and need to be watched not just from behind the back of your eyelids

If I do cruise and get a Haven I will most certainly be going during the school year avoiding 1st part of Jan, Early March-Mid April, June-Aug, Thanksgiving week and the last 2wks of Dec. While I don't mind kids at all, I also would not like to be overrun by them in somewhere that I would like to relax

Think about this.... How is it more fair to say the kids should run and be kids, then another who also paid the same asks to have the right to some peace and quiet? Both are fair. Saying that that person doesn't have a right to peace and quiet or that they should stay in their rooms for that, is the same as firing back that if you want your kids to be able to be kids they should do that in your room. Both have a right to it

My family was in the Haven on the Jewel last year for an Alaskan cruise. We were in a 2 bedroom Haven suite. My children were 11, 11 and 10.

Prior to us even going on board, we have a rules sheet that they must review and sign. For the Haven, they had to acknowledge that it is a quiet area. They were permitted to be in the hot tub or pool when we were in the Haven pool area. After the second day, we allowed them more freedom and they could use that area while we were in our our room (directly across from the Haven area). We also informed any passengers that if they behaved poorly or yelled to please inform us.

We only had one time that we told them to quiet down and it was while playing with another Haven child.

Regardless of whether I am on vacation or not, I expect my children to behave correctly in the given environment. This is whether we are in a restaurant, at the beach or in our pool. All these areas have rules we expect them to follow.

Now I don't know if anyone agrees with how we handled the Haven area, however, it worked for us and our fellow passengers and several of them complimented us on our kids behavior. I do agree that if you are on vacation, your manners and rules should not be.

Posts like this really irk me. We have stayed in the Haven about 5 times and each time with my now 9 year old daughter. There has not been one vacation that we have been on that we encountered rowdy kids in the Haven. Yes they maybe having fun in the pool or eating lunch or getting cookies, but never have I seen it a free for all. Half the rooms in the Haven are 2 bedroom FAMILY Suites. Is it fair to limit half the customers that purchased the Haven because occasionally there is a problem?

What I did experience was a bunch of adults and seniors thinking they owned the boat because they paid for a suite. Being rude, loud, cursing and obnoxious. Can we look to have those people only go at designated times?

I've sailed in the Haven 12 times. I'd say about half of the cruises were affected by unruly kids. My problem isn't with kids being allowed in the Haven, it's with there being a lack of adult supervision and no posted or enforced rules.

I should be able to enjoy the Haven without kids running around and knocking into me, screaming so loudly that I can't have a conversation with my spouse, splashing water all over me soaking my iPhone and Kindle, having candy fights in public areas, pouring orange juice in the hot tub requiring it to be drained and cleaned, and trying to jump from one deck to another. Yes, I've experienced all of this.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My family was in the Haven on the Jewel last year for an Alaskan cruise. We were in a 2 bedroom Haven suite. My children were 11, 11 and 10.

Prior to us even going on board, we have a rules sheet that they must review and sign. For the Haven, they had to acknowledge that it is a quiet area. They were permitted to be in the hot tub or pool when we were in the Haven pool area. After the second day, we allowed them more freedom and they could use that area while we were in our our room (directly across from the Haven area). We also informed any passengers that if they behaved poorly or yelled to please inform us.

That is in violation of the rules regarding them to be supervised at all times. Also the hot tub, they must be accompanied not watched.

Just because you tell people to inform you of their behavior does not mean they are going to. After someone complaining a dozen times over something you might think is trivial what would you do? Tell them off most likely, like the tone in this thread from those with children. I guess I would as well.

If someone told you they were required to be accompanied in the hot tub would you tell them to stay out then?

I do see conflicting info from NCL. They do market it to families and they also market it as a retreat. I think there is really no fault on anyone's view here because of people's personal perception as it is put forth to them in advertising.

This is clearly on NCLs shoulders. They need to clarify what it is and what to expect and then enforce it.

I do see conflicting info from NCL. They do market it to families and they also market it as a retreat. I think there is really no fault on anyone's view here because of people's personal perception as it is put forth to them in advertising.

Depends on your definition of "retreat". To me, a"retreat" is not a library. It is a exclusive area for my kids to enjoy their vacation. There is a library onboard along with adults only areas if you choose.

Depends on your definition of "retreat". To me, a"retreat" is not a library. It is a exclusive area for my kids to enjoy their vacation. There is a library onboard along with adults only areas if you choose.

You are correct. Its an individuals perception and yours is just as correct as anyone else's, which is why I say its on NCLs shoulders to define it more accurately.

So people with kids have more right to the space then anyone else? Really? How does that work? If you supervise your kids as you should then no issues, let them run wild and you and your kids become an issue. An adult who desires solitude should not have to goto the Library for peace, it is as ridiculous as saying your kids can't just be kids and need to goto the main pool to use the space. It is there for both of you and each SHOULD be respectful of the other, else is RUDE.

If they want to get roudy they should be grounded, but the fact is the RULES already set in place require you to be on the pool deck and supervise minors under 16yrs and to accompany them into the hot tub if they want to use it. Just follow the darn rules, how hard is that?

my first time being in the haven and I'm bring my grandchildren. but they are not allowed to be unsupervised. anything can hapoened. And when I'm tried of them...off to the children ctr.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

You are correct. Its an individuals perception and yours is just as correct as anyone else's, which is why I say its on NCLs shoulders to define it more accurately.

Do you really, seriously think that that a "rule book" will solve anything? Have you ever, in your extensive crusing read the passenger code of conduct on any cruise line?

my first time being in the haven and I'm bring my grandchildren. but they are not allowed to be unsupervised. anything can hapoened. And when I'm tried of them...off to the children ctr.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Sounds great!!:):D:)

So people with kids have more right to the space then anyone else? Really? How does that work? If you supervise your kids as you should then no issues, let them run wild and you and your kids become an issue. An adult who desires solitude should not have to goto the Library for peace, it is as ridiculous as saying your kids can't just be kids and need to goto the main pool to use the space. It is there for both of you and each SHOULD be respectful of the other, else is RUDE.

If they want to get roudy they should be grounded, but the fact is the RULES already set in place require you to be on the pool deck and supervise minors under 16yrs and to accompany them into the hot tub if they want to use it. Just follow the darn rules, how hard is that?

Your self importance is funny. Every passenger has equal access to the facilities. Whether you like it or not. Whether you consider it annoying or not. Reality check,,, noone appointed you the "rowdy" and "rude" police. Put your whistle away.

Edited by BirdTravels

You are NOT responsible for other people's children. And if you "took action" and something went wrong, you could face consequences.

The best thing is "tell the parent". If the parent isn't there, it isn't your problem.

There are times when people get involved, with good intentions but the results are disastrous and the good samaritan gets blamed.

In NO WAY do I think I am "responsible" for other people's children. But I assure you, if I am witnessing a child about to jump from a story above into a swimming pool, it would NOT be possible for this Mom to just sit back and relax and let him possibly break his neck, or worse. My friend broke their neck jumping into a pool from the roof of a one story house when we were in our 20's. He had to wear a Halo and screws in his head for months. Very scary scene.

I would assume that if the kid's parents were there supervising, the kid wouldn't be climbing over a railing a story up? Or perhaps they would?. I would never sit back and say "not my problem" as it isn't the kid's fault that his/her parents are negligent. Someone has to watch out for these poor kids.

This thread is kind of ridiculous, be respectful of other people. Don't let your kids run wild. It is our responsibility as parents to guide and protect our kids. Unfortunately, some people are lazy.

Posts like this really irk me. We have stayed in the Haven about 5 times and each time with my now 9 year old daughter. There has not been one vacation that we have been on that we encountered rowdy kids in the Haven. Yes they maybe having fun in the pool or eating lunch or getting cookies, but never have I seen it a free for all. Half the rooms in the Haven are 2 bedroom FAMILY Suites. Is it fair to limit half the customers that purchased the Haven because occasionally there is a problem?

What I did experience was a bunch of adults and seniors thinking they owned the boat because they paid for a suite. Being rude, loud, cursing and obnoxious. Can we look to have those people only go at designated times?

I wish the stupid adults with no class cursing and being obnoxious would just be dropped off at the first port!! :D:D:D

That don't work all the time. That could make you a horrible person.

I once saw a young child in a wheel chair (alone) going into an elevator and one of the wheels fell between the crack and every 5 seconds the doors would close on him and reverse.

So would you just stand there and watch?

Sadly, some people would. Not everyone has empathy and compassion unfortunately.

We only had one time that we told them to quiet down and it was while playing with another Haven child.

Regardless of whether I am on vacation or not, I expect my children to behave correctly in the given environment. This is whether we are in a restaurant, at the beach or in our pool. All these areas have rules we expect them to follow.

Now I don't know if anyone agrees with how we handled the Haven area, however, it worked for us and our fellow passengers and several of them complimented us on our kids behavior. I do agree that if you are on vacation, your manners and rules should not be.

I would like to vacation with you!! We expected the same from our daughters everywhere we went. We NEVER let them scream in a restaurant and disrupt everyone else. If they didn't settle down immediately, one of us took them outside and held them (we did not let them run around outside like it was a play date). Pretty quickly they realized, settle down and go back inside or stay out side and be held. If parents taught their children to respect other people, this would not even be a discussion. Except for the people who think children shouldn't speak, now that is crazy! :D:D

Your self importance is funny. Every passenger has equal access to the facilities. Whether you like it or not. Whether you consider it annoying or not. Reality check,,, noone appointed you the "rowdy" and "rude" police. Put your whistle away.

Really? LOL. You were the one that said the pool and lounge are for your kids to have a safe place to play. It is incorrect. The haven public area's are in fact for the use of all guests in the haven. It is a safe place for your kids to play if they are supervised by you in that space.

I also suggesting the kids and their parents respecting the ones without and vice versa would work best. The issue is in 1 or the other not respecting the other, where issues come in. And no matter who you are, if you are not respectful of the others also within that space it is in fact RUDE.

Save the whistle for your kids when you are up on pool deck making sure they don't get hurt, or hurting others.

This thread is ridiculous. Kids are allowed in the haven. The problem is not the children but the few parents who think their children are angels and allow them to have access to the area without supervision. NEWS ALERT!!!! Your children are more apt to act like wild animals if they know they are unsupervised. If you bring your children on a cruise, you are responsible to supervise them. It is not my responsibility to yell at your children just because you choose not to. If they can not behave they should be banned along with the parents. End of story.