Poll..... Should kids be allowed in the Haven at all?

mscdivina2016

Poll..... Should kids be allowed in the Haven at all?  

413 members have voted

1. 1. Poll..... Should kids be allowed in the Haven at all?

• NO
    • Yes but only with adult supervision at all times
    • Yes but with Adults only times for the pool
    • Yes, but not in the pool
    • yes, but have an attendant on duty who is not tipped

Religion, really?:rolleyes: So I take it you see your nephew is a child in the eyes of NCL. He is welcome in the kids club assuming he is potty trained per NCL policy as well..........Kids Crew Ages 2 through 17, with age-specific sections. Must be potty trained and no age bumping permitted.

12 step program

:rolleyes:

Very invalid poll on its face. Kind of a skewed in that it only allows for an outcome like the OP wants. How about an option that simply says YES? This kind of reminds me of the type of poll that the MSM would put out...

Also needs an option that says arrogant adults who think the world revolves around them should not be allowed in the haven.

That is what I have been saying all along and I cannot believe a waste of time thread would be up for so long. The haven has and always will be catering to families since the 2BR suites are built inside the courtyard area. That is not going away. I just wish this thread would.

That is what I have been saying all along and I cannot believe a waste of time thread would be up for so long. The haven has and always will be catering to families since the 2BR suites are built inside the courtyard area. That is not going away. I just wish this thread would.

Stop clicking on it? It's not like it's an official NCL survey; the thread can ONLY affect your life and your cruising experience if you choose to read it and get stressed about it.

After reading this thread, I thought back to my cruises/vacations and realized that most of the 'unacceptable' behaviour came from adults of all ages. From the woman in her 30s who ran over my foot with her stroller to beat me to an attraction to the intoxicated women in their 20s who offered alcoholic drinks to my teen daughter and her friends. Thankfully, they had the sense to decline. These are just two of many. Regarding youth being supervised at all times. Per the rules, teenagers are permitted to roam the ship. I allow my teens to do so with the strict understanding that I can and will check up on them at any time. Any unacceptable behaviour means spending the rest of the cruise by our side - nothing any teenager would want. ;)

While bad behavior should not negatively affect anyone's cruise, it should not be assumed that all kids are bad and should not be permitted in the Haven simply because of a few that have misbehaved.

I have to agree with some adult bad behavior. Last time on the Getaway in November 2014 there was a lady at the bar thar is located near the cigar lounge. She was soooo loaded. I mean beyond loaded.

She was sitting there drinking for hours. Every time I went to speak with my husband who was in the cigar lounge I noticed this lady being extremely loud and just plain drunk.

I went up to get a drink and she was asking the bartender for a rag. He gave her one and she bent down as best as she could and wiped the floor. She then tossed the rag up to the bar and that's when the bartender and everyone within 10 feet of her thar she wiped poo off the floor. She had pooed herself and wiped it up.

The bar was immediately shut down. It was the most disgusting things I've ever witnessed on a cruise ship.

Rumor has it that they wanted her off the next port but the husband promised to keep her in her cabin for rest of the cruise. I did she her still on the ship the day we came back to port so I guess she got to stay.

When I spoke of this incident last time on these boards it was removed rather quickly. Guess NCL didn't want it reported. Anyway, it's just not kids that can be bad but least we can control them. Adults, not so much!

We do have a dog in the fight (those of us with kids who are supervised), as many people seem to dislike all children and hate them simply on sight. Vacationing with children is hard enough as it is without feeling like I have to apologize for their very existence.).

^^^^THIS^^^^

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Isn't it great how people can keep an argument going as long as they use wooly words. The Guest Policy defines who their policies apply to by their age and whether they are on the ship as Accompanying Passengers or there in their own right. Everyone who signs the Terms and Conditions is automatically bound by them. The definitions of minors and young adults is clear and were shown earlier in the thread. These conditions also use the key words "Appropriate Supervision" and "Responsibility".

The bottom line is that is you have any human with you who is aged 20 years or less then you are "Responsible" for their all of their behavior whether you are directly supervising them or not. This means that if one of your accompanying minors or young adults breaks the rules, it is your fault and you could be the one dealt with as the Captain decides.

I have carefully avoided the words "kid" or child", unlike many of the extreme posters here because that definition of these passengers is not used in the rules. Many of the posts in this thread wouldn't be here if the authors knew the difference between direct "supervision" and "responsibility". One is positional and can be discussed and the other is legal and never goes away while the accompanying passengers are aged 20 or less and you are all under NCL authority.

We go on holiday with our child and her behavior is always beyond reproach. Mind you that might be because as well as being our child, she is also a 40 year old adult! :D

Isn't it interesting that all the Cruise Critic posters have well behaved children? I wonder what forum the parents of the little monsters and hellions post at? :D

I believe even children who are extremely well-behaved have their moments. It is simply how the parents deal with the situation that matters.

It is very sad when parents turn a blind eye. Everyone loses.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Isn't it interesting that all the Cruise Critic posters have well behaved children? I wonder what forum the parents of the little monsters and hellions post at? :D

I have some suspicions about the people who are angry at the including of the word "supervised". :)

I'll freely admit that my kids are monsters and hellions sometimes. Any parent who doesn't admit that is flat-out lying, full stop.

They *are* kids though - they like to roughhouse and play loud and sing loud (YES THAT's MY KID) and dance and pretend to be Jedi knights or to race cars around, and they like to wear their goggles in the jacuzzi and they will play in the pool all day if I let them. As a parent, I encourage them to play because it's the most important form of learning they have.

Contrary to what the highly reactive adults on this forum think, simply because my kid might sing at the top of his lungs while I record him being adorable (because it is adorable, and your kids are adorable too when they are happy and showing it), does not mean that I, as the adult, don't know when to make him quiet down because he is affecting other people. Most parents do know to do this, and while I might record it and post it to Facebook because everyone in my world should see my kids' hilarious antics don'tchaknow, I will not let it run unchecked.

The kid-haters on this thread have the predisposition that every single kid is a small terrorist and their parents are incapable of controlling them. A kid could be well-behaved 99% of the time, and they will point to the 1% as evidence that their opinion was justified. There is no point in arguing it further (for me at least), so I'm gonna step away from this thread.

The kid-haters on this thread have the predisposition that every single kid is a small terrorist and their parents are incapable of controlling them. A kid could be well-behaved 99% of the time, and they will point to the 1% as evidence that their opinion was justified. There is no point in arguing it further (for me at least), so I'm gonna step away from this thread.

So you get to generalize, but have a problem when others generalize. Gotcha.

I have been in the Haven and been chased away with kids bouncing on the chair in the pool that I am lying on (Breakaway) splashing into our drinks, falling in, and me helping them up because their parents are too busy doing other things.

Now when I cruise in the Haven on the big ships, I spend my time in Posh or Vibe so I don't have to deal with it. When my kids were younger and cruising with us, we would be with them, and be those "helicopter" parents telling them to keep it down, even if other kids are screaming.

I know others on the board get angry when Haven passengers snap up some of the few Vibe tickets available, but when I'm cruising I like to relax. I can't do that with kids cannon balling into the hot tubs, not just due to the noise, but I'm always worried they're going to hit their heads, or jump on another kid. My husband tries to say they're OPK (other people's kids) but it doesn't mean I'm not watching like a hawk and stressed. So I remove myself from the environment all together.

If anyone on this thread has said anything like this, it must be someone I already have on ignore. I'd take links, though.

I think there is a lot more "kid hatred" happening in people's minds than is actually being posted here. That said, I DO have a lot of trolls on ignore, but I haven't seen anything like this being quoted by other posters either.

The topic clearly makes some folks irrational. I suppose that's the reason the planet now has seven billion humans. =D

Contrary to what the highly reactive adults on this forum think, simply because my kid might sing at the top of his lungs while I record him being adorable (because it is adorable, and your kids are adorable too when they are happy and showing it), does not mean that I, as the adult, don't know when to make him quiet down because he is affecting other people.

If he's doing it in a small enclosed area like the Haven courtyard, maybe (obviously?) you don't :rolleyes:

Most parents do know to do this, and while I might record it and post it to Facebook because everyone in my world should see my kids' hilarious antics don'tchaknow, I will not let it run unchecked.

If you're too busy recording, it is being unchecked...for the entire duration of the song that is being recorded.

I wouldn't let either of my kids break out into song at the top of their lungs in the Garden Cafe (and that place is usually a zoo). Why? Because I wouldn't want to encourage inappropriate behavior (nor would I record it to share with others). I also wouldn't want to disturb others who might (probably?) not want to be disturbed.

I know others on the board get angry when Haven passengers snap up some of the few Vibe tickets available, but when I'm cruising I like to relax.

Don't let them bother you. Passes are "first come, first serve". Some complain because their flight lands later. Even if there were 500 passes available, passenger 501 would complain.

I think if you go back and read all the posts, there is only a couple of kid-haters (as you call them, I wouldn't call them that) that believe children should be seen and not heard. The rest of us, have no issues with children being children and playing like children, but when they cross the line in becoming unruly children who do things that are not acceptable in a setting where there are others trying to enjoy themselves as well, is what folks object to. To me, it would be things like: Jumping into a pool which is too small for that activity and in turn splashing everyone around them. Running around and running into someone without even "I'm sorry, are you okay" and not being told by their parents that some on the ship are a little unsteady on their feet and fall easily, so they need to be careful. Pouring liquids into the pool or hot tub. And I'll be honest, if I were trying to have a conversation with someone, I would find a child singing at the top of their lungs to be obnoxious and would hope that their parents would explain to them that it is not acceptable when there are others there tryin to enjoy themselves and that maybe he should wait until the family is alone in the Haven to do his loud singing or wait until they are off the ship at one of the ports.

What I find amazing is that folks would not book the Haven because they are afraid of one or more children acting unruly. I read a lot of reviews on here and there isn't the overwhelming experience that there are unruly children in the Haven. If there happens to be a child that is behaving badly, not just being a child, then if it offends someone, they should speak with a crew member and advise them of the behavior and if the crew member will not address, get an appointment with the Hotel Director and voice one's concerns. I also find it amazing that someone would not book the Haven because they are afraid of running into a few of the posters on this thread. Keep in mind, if your child is just behaving like a child and not crossing that line, you would have nothing to worry about other than getting maybe some dirty looks from someone who forgot what being a kid is all about.

Not sure what the purpose of the poll is. You're not going to market two and three bedroom suites to adults only. And you would never sell the havens as adult only. Totally don fervent the smoking on a balcony.

If you want an adults only area, sail in the studio sections.

I disagree as my husband and I have booked two bedroom suites for YEARS now when it is just the two of us sailing as we like the added room since hubby uses the second bedroom for work and stores a lot of his "stuff" in there.

Maybe the "friends and family sails free" should NOT include the Haven? As I think that this is just a deal that is too good to be ignored and brings many more bodies (kids!) into the Haven than would normally have booked?

Just my opinion....but we are truly tired of the unruly kids in the Haven and will still book Haven Suites but only during times when kids vacation schedule should NOT be an issue....as I think that if you are paying over $20,000 for 14 days that you should be able to find a lounge chair AND not be pummeled with balls, water being splashed on you AND not having the pool be closed due to vomit....

You really need to move to Seaborne instead of cruising the mass market lines. they are all designed for lots of kids.

Not necessarily.....NCL just needs to figure out how to "supervise" the Haven! as that is the area that the original post was about, right?

We are getting older.....but not quite at the point where we need to move to Seabourne.....and also are CAS guests.....so your option does not work for us.

The solution of course should be that the parents supervise their children....which clearly is NOT happening....and many of us spending large amounts of money are tired of vomit, screaming children, lounges being "reserved" for 4 year olds that maybe are present for an hour to two between naps.......the throwing of toys....on our last cruise - one of our friends was walking from the spa thru the Haven poll area and one "child" about 11 years old.....threw an entire cup of water on her head as she was walking past the jacuzzi! Truly out of line and not what we should have to deal with on vacation.

WE also had 3-4 nights of interrupted sleep with the little "darlings" running up and down the Haven hallways laughing and screaming...

Exactly

That is why I did not vote either. The kids cruise fare is paid like everyone else. They are not second class passengers and are entitled to the same rights as everyone else.

The HAVEN is NOT an adults ONLY area. NCL encourages families to book Haven cabins. If you don't like being splashed in a pool, I suggest you stay away from pools. The Haven pool has always been the rich kid swimming pool.

I DISAGREE! As on our last trip ( after 8 in the Haven with similar experiences) I heard WAY too many guest commenting on the "great deal that they NABBED through an upsell" at the last minute....AND those that were solely able to be in the Haven due to the '3rd and 4th passengers sail free" promotions.

I do NOT mind paying the amount that I agree is fair and that satisfies my requirements for a cruise - hence whether or not I receive a significant discount from CAS....I always book the Haven.......as it is important to me to have the ability to find a lounge chair by the pool and the quiet that used to go with being in the Haven.

AND I am not sure where you get that NCL encourages families to book the Haven? Although maybe this is true......as they only want to sell as many bookings as they can.

Bottom line is that we are re-evaluating The Haven experience....as although we have loved it for years....it is not the same....neither is the Haven restaurant (where applicable) as it is also my preference to NOT be bothered by a table of 16+ with at least 4 screaming toddlers....which has been our experience of late in the Haven Restaurant.

And I feel badly for the servers/staff....as this is the same "pool" that they are counting on for good reviews and additional gratuities.....

Not sure of a simple solution....just KNOW that the Haven is NOT what it used to be!

I wonder if they just need to come up with a different name than "Haven". Something like Club NCL?

(Not kidding. I know the Haven isn't going adults-only and the situation doesn't seem fixable. A name that doesn't sound like it's supposed to be a quiet retreat would help manage expectations. It would also help lure in more of the ex-DCL dollars.)

Edited by AdoraBelle

I DISAGREE! As on our last trip ( after 8 in the Haven with similar experiences) I heard WAY too many guest commenting on the "great deal that they NABBED through an upsell" at the last minute....AND those that were solely able to be in the Haven due to the '3rd and 4th passengers sail free" promotions.

I do NOT mind paying the amount that I agree is fair and that satisfies my requirements for a cruise - hence whether or not I receive a significant discount from CAS....I always book the Haven.......as it is important to me to have the ability to find a lounge chair by the pool and the quiet that used to go with being in the Haven.

I would bet that those that received an upsell also feel that they are paying the amount that they agree is fair and that satisfies their requirements for a cruise. Shouldn't matter if one always books the Haven or gets it one time in their lifetime from an upsell, they all should be able to enjoy their cruise in the Haven and I'm sure it is important for their family to have a great time as well.